Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for your input, was very helpful..

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred26 View Post
      Hi Folks, i just bought the FLIGHTLINE F4U-1D CORSAIR "BUBBLE TOP" 1600MM (63") WINGSPAN to build while recovering from foot surgery. i already have the FW A-10 And F7U which will be winter builds. Now my question is, has anyone had an issue with the number decals? I was putting them on yesterday and had to stop. they did not stick and when separating them from the cover piece they ripped so had to abandon the process until i have some feedback on the decal sheets.

Thanks for any help.
      No problem with mine. You did remove the under cover first, right? Then after you lay the decal on the plane, use a scraper to rub all the decal to firmly stick. Then carefully start the removal of the covering layer and peel it away at 180 degrees (fold it back onto itself). Maybe your decals have bad stickem.

Comment

• I think the stickem is bad. i applied as you suggested and when folding the top cover the numbers would not stick and felt like they had very little stickem.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
          Bent-wing Brethren, Final 'dry-fit' of console IP's and fitting of the modded 'Fwd IP' including the Callie Graphics instrument graphics, thank you Callie. Onto designing the side walls with those bits & pieces and beginning the canopy mods. More when there's more. Best, LB
          Looks good enough to climb in there myself, simply outstanding!
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman, I thank you, good Sir. Best, Steve
            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Question on wheel bearings for Robart 3.5" wheels on Flightline Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0961adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	319787 Corsair?

Hi All: I converted from the stock Flightline wheels/tires to the 3.5" Robarts on my Corsair. Since the Robarts don't come with a wheel bearing that fits the stock axle on this plane, I used a 1/4" OD aluminum tube that slides on nicely over the axle and is fairly tight on the wheel hole. The problem is, since the aluminum is so soft a metal, it gets loose after flying it for a while, and the wheel wobbles left and right on the axle, making for some control issues, especially on landing rollout.

I tried using brass tubes in place of the aluminum ones, but they are slightly larger and for me are too loose to use on this airplane.

I'm curious what anyone who is using the 3.5" Robarts has come up with for a suitable, durable wheel bearing for this plane?

Thanks,

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                Question on wheel bearings for Robart 3.5" wheels on Flightline Click image for larger version Name:	_CAM0961adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	319787 Corsair?

Hi All: I converted from the stock Flightline wheels/tires to the 3.5" Robarts on my Corsair. Since the Robarts don't come with a wheel bearing that fits the stock axle on this plane, I used a 1/4" OD aluminum tube that slides on nicely over the axle and is fairly tight on the wheel hole. The problem is, since the aluminum is so soft a metal, it gets loose after flying it for a while, and the wheel wobbles left and right on the axle, making for some control issues, especially on landing rollout.

I tried using brass tubes in place of the aluminum ones, but they are slightly larger and for me are too loose to use on this airplane.

I'm curious what anyone who is using the 3.5" Robarts has come up with for a suitable, durable wheel bearing for this plane?

Thanks,

davegee
                I think I mentioned to you before, but I use the 3.5" Robarts and all I did was slightly enlarge the plastic bushings that come with their wheels using a series of drills until it was the correct I.D. I know that sounds funky, but I've got well over 100 flights and the bushing and wheels are still wobble free. Also used some silicone grease on the axel to keep it turning freely. Give it a try, nothing to loose. You do have to be careful in handling the bushing for drilling and I actually held in "by hand" instead of in a vise or pliers because that ruined the O.D. of the bushing.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Hugh Wiedman Are you using Robarts on the 1600 Spitfire as well?

Comment

• Hi Hugh: the stock tires for the Spitfire never presented any problems for me. I’ve had it for five years now and have only had to replace worn tread tires.

Comment

• Hi Hugh: I’ll give it a try. Thanks.
                      davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                        Hugh Wiedman Are you using Robarts on the 1600 Spitfire as well?
                        No, on the Spitfire I'm using the Hangar 9 HN 307 3 1/4 " Pro Lite Wheels. Probably have about 150 take-offs (and maybe 145 landings ) on them and should be able to get an equal amount in the future. The Hangar 9 Pro Lite's are a bit narrower than the Robarts and I seem to remember were a fairly easy fit. I also use them on the 2000 mm FL B-24 (same size) and the Hangar 9 2 1/4" on the nose wheel of the Su-30 and the 2" nose wheel on the FW 90 mm F-16. Virtually all my other planes have either Robarts or a few with stock wheels. I fly mainly off of grass now, so definitely don't get as much wear as those flying off of asphalt, but the Spitty and Corsair had at least 50 flights on asphalt early in their career.

These used to be available in virtually any size at Horizon Hobby, but I just checked and it seems that ALL of the Hangar 9 Pro-Lite wheels have been discontinued, man that is HH for you. Sorry for recommending these now that I found out they're almost impossible to get, although I do see some on ebay, but that just sucks! They are a hard rubber, treaded, low bounce, drillable to any axel size and are very durable, so of course let's discontinue them!
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

I think I mentioned to you before, but I use the 3.5" Robarts and all I did was slightly enlarge the plastic bushings that come with their wheels using a series of drills until it was the correct I.D. I know that sounds funky, but I've got well over 100 flights and the bushing and wheels are still wobble free. Also used some silicone grease on the axel to keep it turning freely. Give it a try, nothing to loose. You do have to be careful in handling the bushing for drilling and I actually held in "by hand" instead of in a vise or pliers because that ruined the O.D. of the bushing.
                          Hi Hugh: I'm giving it a go using your technique of slightly increasing the diameter of the bushings so that they'll fit on the Corsair's axles. It wasn't without a little "bloodletting" as my thumb and finger slipped on the very sharp edges of the drill bit that I was using to hollow out the bushings by hand, but I survived.

Right now, I have the plane back together, I like what I'm seeing with the solidness of the axle and wheel, no more wobbling side to side as I had before using the homemade bushings. They are still pretty tight on the axle, the plane rolls smoothly when I push it with my hand, but I suspect that will undoubtedly loosen up some as I get some flights in. I'm going to do some taxi tests later today in front of my house to see how it does. Thanks again for your tip, I am encouraged so far!

cheers

davegee

Comment

Hi Hugh: I'm giving it a go using your technique of slightly increasing the diameter of the bushings so that they'll fit on the Corsair's axles. It wasn't without a little "bloodletting" as my thumb and finger slipped on the very sharp edges of the drill bit that I was using to hollow out the bushings by hand, but I survived.

Right now, I have the plane back together, I like what I'm seeing with the solidness of the axle and wheel, no more wobbling side to side as I had before using the homemade bushings. They are still pretty tight on the axle, the plane rolls smoothly when I push it with my hand, but I suspect that will undoubtedly loosen up some as I get some flights in. I'm going to do some taxi tests later today in front of my house to see how it does. Thanks again for your tip, I am encouraged so far!

cheers

davegee
                            I PM'd Hugh on this this morning, but I'd thought I'd finish my entries regarding the main wheel bushings for anyone contemplating substituting the 3.5" Robarts for the OEM main wheels that come with the kit.

I did two flights this morning with Hugh's suggestion and his idea that he used on his plane, that is, of carefully reaming out slightly the largest size plastic wheel bushings that come with the Robart wheels so that they'll fit smoothly on the axles on the main gear of the Corsair. I was able to do this using a couple of drill bits and gently twisting them by hand into the plastic bearings until I could fit them onto the landing gear axles.

I didn't want to ream out the bushings too much so that they might have a bit of wobble on the axle, but they turn fine when I roll the plane on the ground by hand, and worked very well on the takeoff and landing rolls on my two flights this morning. The fit now is very tight and no wobble back and forth on the axle that the aluminum tube bushing had that I had made up during these tests.

I'll continue to monitor and test these new plastic bushings, but I think if you can ream them out so that they'll fit on the axles ok, you'll be in business. Some silicon grease is helpful, too. Besides the functionality of the slightly modified Robart bearings, I also like the look of the plane better with wheels that are closer to scale for this aircraft.

davegee

Comment

I PM'd Hugh on this this morning, but I'd thought I'd finish my entries regarding the main wheel bushings for anyone contemplating substituting the 3.5" Robarts for the OEM main wheels that come with the kit.

I did two flights this morning with Hugh's suggestion and his idea that he used on his plane, that is, of carefully reaming out slightly the largest size plastic wheel bushings that come with the Robart wheels so that they'll fit smoothly on the axles on the main gear of the Corsair. I was able to do this using a couple of drill bits and gently twisting them by hand into the plastic bearings until I could fit them onto the landing gear axles.

I didn't want to ream out the bushings too much so that they might have a bit of wobble on the axle, but they turn fine when I roll the plane on the ground by hand, and worked very well on the takeoff and landing rolls on my two flights this morning. The fit now is very tight and no wobble back and forth on the axle that the aluminum tube bushing had that I had made up during these tests.

I'll continue to monitor and test these new plastic bushings, but I think if you can ream them out so that they'll fit on the axles ok, you'll be in business. Some silicon grease is helpful, too. Besides the functionality of the slightly modified Robart bearings, I also like the look of the plane better with wheels that are closer to scale for this aircraft.

davegee

That's me, "Low Tech Solutions.com". If it can't be fixed with epoxy, a drill or duct tape, seek advice elsewhere!
                              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Hey all, An update of sorts.

I have relocated the "Rudder" servo aft of the cockpit, finalized the Jig to support the carbon fiber (CF) tubes that will serve as linear bearings, more or less, for a smaller CF rod attached to the canopy bow.

While trying to 'noodle' solutions, I found any small tilt or offset side pressure to the canopy bow created a binding issue. This linear action is quite smooth and has eliminated any binding thus far.
                                The jig (7 iterations as I added more features) keeps all the CF tubes aligned as the glue sets. Carving the foam down to .062 +/- to the top fuselage structure to fit the jig was fun, not.

All structure in the cockpit will be cut away after gluing the jig in place. My plan is to mount the actuation servo above the OEM elevator servo location. This servo is converted to linear action with a gear style servo wheel and toothed beam.
                                So far it all works, but it is moving at a much slower speed on the bench versus airborne.

More when there is more. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee you never seize to amaze. If I can just put a darn PNP together out of the box without blowing holes through it I call it a victory.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey Y'all, Quick update on the canopy mod. I modified my rack base design after seeing a video on a reduction gear idea that gave 180 degree servo rotation by changing the potentiometer location and longer rotation. Though still primitive in comparison, it is quite efficient when mounted in the battery cover. It all works smoothly and is closer to CG than aft of the cockpit. I am still working on the canopy bow but getting closer to something that is near scale and still functional. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• You are out of your mind... and I LOVE IT!
                                      Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                        You are out of your mind... and I LOVE IT!
                                        E4, Tamms would think that I lost it during the F-18 build, though I'm certain it began a very long time before that. Good news is so far so good; just a lot a design, print, redesign, repeat. Thanks for the encouragement. Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Elbee You continue to amaze! Official Fan Boy here.
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X