X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Happy Halloween to all Bent Wing Brethren, I have gotten back to 'real' work now that our summer project is coming to an end. Photos: I have cut the forward turtle-deck to allow for rear canopy attach point. This kept the fore and aft attach points in parallel and even looks a bit better, I think. There's a new slide carriage, canopy bow w/mirrors, and LH cockpit side wall with radios, etc+. Also, a larger throttle body currently printing. I have also started printing in a matte black color. We'll see if that paints up as well as the silver. Next up is cockpit assembly. More when there is more. Best, LB

Thanks for the update, LB. I really like your design for the canopy slide mechanism. Look forward to updates, when available.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I think I got some resin cylinders from an old Williams Bros. 1/5 scale kit. I think I found 18 of them, so I was able to put the second bank of cylinders in behind the front row for more realism. There was some scratchbuilding with the aluminum wiring harness, the magnetos, prop governor, some connecting rods, and of course all the spark plug wiring, two for each cylinder for the completion of the model. It worked out ok. Unfortunately, I think I've lost or misplaced most of the construction and finishing photos for this airplane. I did find one poor copy of a photo in the Emil Buehler library where we hung it up in October 2013. Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-31_093815.jpgcropped.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	328620
      Really nice job sir ! Wiliams Bros. made the best ever engine stuff and guns. I made they're 1/8th plastic kit of the Wright J-5 , it was fantastic

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
        Happy Halloween to all Bent Wing Brethren, I have gotten back to 'real' work now that our summer project is coming to an end. Photos: I have cut the forward turtle-deck to allow for rear canopy attach point. This kept the fore and aft attach points in parallel and even looks a bit better, I think. There's a new slide carriage, canopy bow w/mirrors, and LH cockpit side wall with radios, etc+. Also, a larger throttle body currently printing. I have also started printing in a matte black color. We'll see if that paints up as well as the silver. Next up is cockpit assembly. More when there is more. Best, LB

Nice job on the canopy mods.
        I was wondering what it was like around this area for future canopy mods thanks for sharing.

Have great Halloween

Comment

• Originally posted by Pappy 883 View Post

Really nice job sir ! Wiliams Bros. made the best ever engine stuff and guns. I made they're 1/8th plastic kit of the Wright J-5 , it was fantastic
          Too bad they are no longer in business. I got ahold of 18 resin cast cylinders and the crankcase dome somehow, but that was about it. Everything else I had to furnish myself but I was off to a good start with their excellent cast cylinders and the dome.

Comment

• Pappy thanks for checking out our channel and video! We appreciate the kind words and support very much!
            Big time propeller head
            Love flying scale and 3D
            Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• The Honor is mine Starck,
              Everyone flying a Corsair should watch this video , MANDATORY . The repeated landings and commentary is excellent ! I have been flying Corsairs for 30 years and lately due to my age and various handicaps was frustrated with my crappy landings. I know what I was doing wrong but just kept repeating the same mistakes. I started watching your landings over and over again soon it dawned on me what how to fix it. Correct airspeed is CRITICAL to prevent plopping or bouncing. We all know that , but sometimes we need a good slap up side of the head to get it right.

Thanx again ,....... joe

Comment

• When I start messing up is when I start thinking about the landings too much, or when I'm just trying to be cute and really mess it up

Comment

• Agreed,

Overthinking it can be a bad thing as well as complacency . 30 years or 30 minutes experience doesn't mean squat to a trash bag full of parts..

We're all hotshots in our heads until we are humbled by reality. I've lost my share due to showoffitis, lol .... joe

Comment

• Hahaha yes sir so very true!

Comment

The Honor is mine Starck,
                      Everyone flying a Corsair should watch this video , MANDATORY . The repeated landings and commentary is excellent ! I have been flying Corsairs for 30 years and lately due to my age and various handicaps was frustrated with my crappy landings. I know what I was doing wrong but just kept repeating the same mistakes. I started watching your landings over and over again soon it dawned on me what how to fix it. Correct airspeed is CRITICAL to prevent plopping or bouncing. We all know that , but sometimes we need a good slap up side of the head to get it right.

Thanx again ,....... joe
                      Joe,

So very glad it helped you my friend. That's what its all about...at least part of it for sure! Really appreciate the very kind words. We have had a few folks ask us to do a episode on how we takeoff and land different taildraggers. May have to do that at some point.

Adam
                      Big time propeller head
                      Love flying scale and 3D
                      Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• i tell guys to go to you tube and watch the landings they do on warbirds. notice how some come in in wheel landings then put the flaps up and the landing looks really good. then others come in galloping, pull the nose up and the plane climbs so they go back to level flight, then pull E again to try and flair. notice how many of them fall off on the left wing sooner or later.

the key is constant velocity from end of down wind turn to ground.

Joe
                        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
                          i tell guys to go to you tube and watch the landings they do on warbirds. notice how some come in in wheel landings then put the flaps up and the landing looks really good. then others come in galloping, pull the nose up and the plane climbs so they go back to level flight, then pull E again to try and flair. notice how many of them fall off on the left wing sooner or later.

the key is constant velocity from end of down wind turn to ground.

Joe
                          Yes the airspeed is critical, the wind factor at our field is crazy last week one of the guys was on final when the wind direction did a 180 !
                          I've not had much trouble with wing drop , I just keep plopping on the mains , too slow I know . I just have the bad habit of "catching the wire" approach.
                          Thursday I'm going to just practice as if coming in for slow touch n goes, without touching, just keeping enough speed to have lift without decent. That way I know the wing isn't at stalling .
                          If it settles down to touch thats ok at least the wing isn't stalling.

Did some testing this morning , came up with some amp and thrust numbers. (fishing scale)

3 blade prop 56amps,12 lbs. thrust
                          4 blade " 59amps, 11 lbs thrust

I'll use the 3 blade for the maiden.

Comment

• Hi All
                            Question please, will the stock Corsair prop be able to withstand the added power of a 390 KV upgrade motor ?
                            I assume I need to also upgrade the ESC

Comment

• Originally posted by Joehockey View Post
                              Hi All
                              Question please, will the stock Corsair prop be able to withstand the added power of a 390 KV upgrade motor ?
                              I assume I need to also upgrade the ESC
                              I hope so , I ordered one yesterday too.

Alpha,
                              if your still there . I have a idea , I KNOW you guys can make a better 4 blade prop than those other guys , And offer different versions of the Corsair , or sell modification kits for various Versions such as the F4U-4, or the -5 /-5N . Just a thought , joe h.

Comment

Alpha, if your still there. I have a idea , I KNOW you guys can make a better 4 blade prop than those other guys , And offer different versions of the Corsair , or sell modification kits for various Versions such as the F4U-4, or the -5 /-5N . Just a thought , joe h.
                                Just a thought and a darned good one! I'll pass it along!

My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• While I'm on the 4 blade issue, I purchased some 4 blade hubs for the 2 FL Corsairs I am making. Prop blades are back ordered. but I acquired a FMS 1700V3 Corsair and was replacing the prop hub with one of the new ones. Well it doesn't fit worth a crap, the screw holes are out of alignment ,the front half won't bolt up with prop blades installed. The screws stripped or got stuck in the metal backing plate, I was being VERY careful not to strip anything yet, wound up drilling out a screw on not just one but 2 of the hubs i had gotten .......piece O.S.
                                  Eventually made it work with some filing and grinding after about 3 hrs work.
                                  I 'm sorry for going of topic but those considering it should be aware.
                                  joe h.

Comment

• Well I got the maiden done this morning , what a sweet flying Corsair she is . Thanks to you guys and your great advice and videos ,I'm pretty much over the pilot induced landing fails.
                                    The wind was calm on the first flight, but it was wicked after that. 2nd flight wind started gusting , kinda plopped a little hard on the gear ,but they were ok, still worked but they jitter on the way up and down and the lower legs had to be re-aligned. 3rd flight started calm , direction switched 180 deg. gusting around 20 then came the cross wind for final, aborted three attempts then just had to put her down , got very lucky it wasn't pretty but no damage. The plan was for 4 flights but because of the erratic winds I felt it was too unsafe, just packed it up while I was ahead.
                                    Out here in the fall sometimes the dreaded " Santa Ana " winds come up , Beautiful with 70deg. clear sky but ............. I didn't fly it with the 4 blade it was just for the photo-op lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229 (3).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	330115

Name:	IMG_0231 (3).JPG
Views:	369
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	330116

Name:	IMG_0233 (3).JPG
Views:	378
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	330117Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230 (2).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	330118

Comment

Well I got the maiden done this morning , what a sweet flying Corsair she is...
                                      P8, Great looking repaint & build. Congrats on the 1st check flight Best, LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Well I got the maiden done this morning , what a sweet flying Corsair she is . Thanks to you guys and your great advice and videos ,I'm pretty much over the pilot induced landing fails.
                                        The wind was calm on the first flight, but it was wicked after that. 2nd flight wind started gusting , kinda plopped a little hard on the gear ,but they were ok, still worked but they jitter on the way up and down and the lower legs had to be re-aligned. 3rd flight started calm , direction switched 180 deg. gusting around 20 then came the cross wind for final, aborted three attempts then just had to put her down , got very lucky it wasn't pretty but no damage. The plan was for 4 flights but because of the erratic winds I felt it was too unsafe, just packed it up while I was ahead.
                                        Out here in the fall sometimes the dreaded " Santa Ana " winds come up , Beautiful with 70deg. clear sky but ............. I didn't fly it with the 4 blade it was just for the photo-op lol.

Name:	IMG_0229 (3).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	330115

Name:	IMG_0231 (3).JPG
Views:	369
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	330116

Name:	IMG_0233 (3).JPG
Views:	378
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	330117Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230 (2).JPG
Views:	353
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	330118
                                        Congrats on the successful maiden under trying weather conditions! I like the exhaust stains on the fuse, very realistic. Also, it looks like you did some weathering of the main tires in the picture which looks cool. I did the same with mine that was modeled after planes in the Solomon islands and what that climate did to rubber and everything else, for that matter.

One comment that concerns me a bit just from my own experience with these retracts is that you commented that they "still worked but they jitter up and down." I don't know if this is any issue with your retracts, but for me, it raises a red flag that there might be damage to the plastic housing for the retracts, possibly a crack in the housing somewhere. Whenever I get that telltale noise, I remove and inspect them, just to be sure. Sometimes they are fine, but other times there is a hairline crack that will only get worse and possibly lead to an eventual gear failure.
                                        Just my 2 cents' worth, from my experience!

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Thank You guys all for the kind words,
                                          I can't take credit for the weathering on the tires, Our strip is just naturally dirty from all the wind I guess. lol
                                          Yes Dave , that's a good call on the LG inspection, as soon as the glory of success wears off , and I take a nap from all the "Maiden Trauma" I'll get right to it.😬😴

Comment

Working...
                                          X