X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
    I wonder if it would help to remove the magnet and repaint, let it thoroughly dry then replace the magnet. Maybe reverse the magnet and metal so that the magnet is on the fuse and the metal piece is on the hatch. Just brainstorming....

Grossman56
    Dan brings up a good point. Since the magnet on the hatch is just to help facilitate removal or access to what is underneath it, if you have a more powerful magnet to pull off the hatch with just a piece of non-magnetized metal on the underneath side of the hatch, might that solve the problem?

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      Brushed the flaw with a bit of un-thinned paint from the bottle. Looks fine, but it took three coats. Go Figure.

• I posted a ways back about using the engine and wheels from the FMS Tigercat. Now, I know it is not perfect match for a Corsair's engine. But, it's pretty close. Way better than flat cylinders! And I don't have a 3D printer. The engine will bolt right up to the foam firewall. Had to recess all the way around the sides just a bit to get it to clear completely. Quick job with a dremel was all. Also, had to trim about 3/8ths inch off the rear of the plastic cowl to clear the rockers. Cool thing was that I didn't need to mod anything else. Even the cowl mounting lugs fit perfectly! But, there was one problem that resulted in a bigger decision. Even though the engine fit great, the motor was rubbing on the inside of the fake engine. It was because of the extreme right offset. Now stay with me...

There were no prop fighters that had right thrust in the engine mounts. They typically had an offset in the vertical fin to account for thrust. Imagine getting a very long Merlin at a couple degrees right in a Spitty or Mustang! Some did have down thrust like the two mentioned. But, the big corsair was built straight on with the cowl and the aircraft's centerline. I figure if it was good enough for them, I can get her to fly too! Sure will look a whole lot better.

I decided to go straight! After measuring the holes in the offset mount, I found it took 4.5mm back to the right to get the rear of the motor where it needed to be. It also did not need a vertical movement as the mounting holes are slightly angled and the 4.5mm to the right would also give me just enough down movement to get the straight line I wanted and remove the slight down thrust. I made a new X-mount out of some scrap 6 layer ply. Luckily, the hole re-alignment was not quite enough to interfere with the mount bolts and the motor. I do have to assemble the new X-mount with the 2 right bolts already installed as their length precludes putting them in later. No biggie. The motor mount opening was just barely big enough to accept this mod without having to do any more. All in all, not too bad.
    Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

• Originally posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
      . All in all, not too bad.
      NV, Great work. Considering your logic, acknowledged and agreed. Remembering my fuelies, we only added 2o right and 2o down. My thought is an electric motor has a shorter torque curve (?) and that is why there is so much right offset. When adding a fake P&W to my build, I had the benefit of design/redesign and compensated for the OEM offset in the fake P&W housing. I am really looking forward to reading about your flight results with this set up. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Well LB, I've been following your work as well and am truly impressed. I wish I had more patience for the level of detail like you put in yours. (I really wanna do the cowl flaps) But, I figured since this mod is gonna be all about test flying, I may be wiser to get that done first. As far as will it work? I refer to your quotes at the bottom of your posts!

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know if I might assist with the 'cowl flap' mod. Do you 3DP? Best, Steve

• Thanks Steve. I'll let you know after I get this bird up and back!

Comment

• Well, I will say this a/c is quite the beast. Got her up and back 3 different flights. Torque was definitely there but not the major deal to overcome. Rudder management is needed. Elevator was pretty touchy. I think the CG is right "there"! I was at the book CG. First flight showed what I suspected and should have changed first. Struts. I almost always change over to fuel tubing instead of those d*** springs! Had a bounce, recovery, and ran off into the grass. Broke the rudder as it gently flipped over. Seriously?! Fixed 1st thing when I got home. Also built a new shorter servo arm for the elevators. Considered elongating the horns as well, but left for the time. Gave the rudder more travel. It's needed for the massive torque and for the tailgear. Changed the springs over to yellow gas tubing for their strength and absorption. Much better!!

Today, the 2nd flight I spent dialing in the flap compensation. I do believe I'll go for a little more nose weight as even this proved to be a sensitive adjustment. Landed at around half throttle and full flaps and greased it. Tubing worked great! It just plants itself now. This a/c wants and needs to be flown in with power and wheel landed. No 3 points. This has been discovered in prior posts to this thread. The full size is no different, unless you have a hook and wire!

3rd flight was sheer madness. Dialed it in pretty close and lowered flaps. Big right roll. Pulled flaps back up and now I get a left roll. (The outboard right flap servo let go somewhere in the middle) Realized the possible issue and adjusted the flaps until it was semi straight. Set-up, landed with a tiny bounce (nerves) and checked things out. Sure enough, the servo was still jumping. I got a ticket in with Motion.

It's not uncommon for me to replace cheap servos with better quality. This should really never happen. But, let's face it, the plane is worth more.

Oh yeah... after centering the big prop (I did cheat a bit and have a very, very tiny amount of right and down thrust), it is manageable. Yes, you must fly it more like the full size. Manage the throttle judiciously. Be quick on the rudder and I mean right now. I ordered an AS3X receiver to drop in only to be able to play with the gains and see if it helps. I'm sure it will.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	FD9C9F89-7E15-4DB3-9476-CC2DB85F1D3E_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	352075
          And, btw, this is Ace Bob McClurg's aircraft that he scored a couple kills in. Bob was Pappy's wingman for many sorties. I say a couple because none of these guys stayed with any particular a/c all the way thru. They were machines of war and were used that way.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Hi All, I'm sure this has already been covered here ... but I could not find the info ....

Wondering what elevator mixing is recommended when flaps are deployed ? (for half flaps and full flaps).

Thanks. Bob

Comment

• For Flap>Elevator compensation, just a tad bit of down from what I remember. It's also going to be a pretty fine adjustment after getting close only because of the CG being right on the money. That and its fairly short coupling. I plan to do more testing tomorrow for this very point. Gonna try a little more forward CG as well.

Motion came thru as always and sent a flap servo out to me pronto after the afore-mentioned mishap. This is a good company.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

You're right on the button! As you say, probably hard to hide an aircraft carrier, but I guess they figured at the time that when the wings are folded on the flight deck, that those areas would be less visible than had they been painted white. Of course, that beautiful color scheme (IMHO) didn't fare well in the extreme conditions of the South Pacific, so the entire aircraft were painted the sea blue later in the war. Don't know if that color on folded wings on the carrier was any better, or worse.

cheers

davegee
                U guys r amazing. The stuff you no ,, amazes me... is there literature some place,, or handed down,, even cooler... keep making us pretenders, no more about these amazing aircraft ,,, and the generation that made us have a say and choice that we do..now

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post

U guys r amazing. The stuff you no ,, amazes me... is there literature some place,, or handed down,, even cooler... keep making us pretenders, no more about these amazing aircraft ,,, and the generation that made us have a say and choice that we do..now
                  Hi f4u aussie: obviously, for at least some of us, there is a passion to know how these things "tick", how brilliant minds like Chance Vought and his chief designer Rex Beisel who came up with the inverted (gull) wing to accommodate a HUGE prop and still keep the gear legs short enough to withstand carrier operations, are of great interest to some. I've been interested in this stuff since I was a kid, and now I'm a retired old fart!

There are tons of books, videos, etc., still around for purchase on Amazon and other mail order companies, or maybe you can check your local library in Melbourne to see what they have. The internet can have a lot of free historical videos and information, too. Talking with people who have a lot of knowledge on subjects that you are interested in, can give you more insight as to all the inner workings of these magnificent classic aircraft. I, for one, probably others too, on this Hobby Squawk, would be more than happy to try and answer any questions you may have to satisfy your curiosity. I commend you for wanting to learn more about this stuff.

Incidentally, as an example, a TWA Boeing 747 crashed after exploding while climbing out of JFK airport for Paris many years ago. The cause of the explosion was determined as best they could to a spark in the center fuel tank from one of the fuel pumps. The fix was going to be "inerting" the center fuel tank with carbon dioxide gas or similar gas, when the tank got pretty empty so that there wouldn't be a ignitable air source in the tank to do that again. (The plan never really got underway, most 747s had aged out and were retired before implementing this plan.)

Well, the Corsair aircraft in WWII was equipped with a CO2 bottle in the cockpit that could be ported into the now empty wing fuel locker tanks on longer missions before they had come up with drop tanks for the airplane. This would hopefully keep enemy bullets from exploding this mixture of fuel vapor and air in the tanks.

This technology preceded the 747 studies by 60 years, or more!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• I do watch a ton of stuff.. slightly ,,, not yet 60,, younger than u... i got into it in the eighties when drag racing.. had a 351 cleveland on nitrous..( in a holden mind u) so at the time it was,, books,, learned about ww2 development of that,, octane etc etc.. very kool stuff... will always ask the squark team,, any questions thanks davegee.. p47 looks awsome..

Comment

I do watch a ton of stuff.. slightly ,,, not yet 60,, younger than u... i got into it in the eighties when drag racing.. had a 351 cleveland on nitrous..( in a holden mind u) so at the time it was,, books,, learned about ww2 development of that,, octane etc etc.. very kool stuff... will always ask the squark team,, any questions thanks davegee.. p47 looks awsome..
                      Very cool! There is a big racing park very close to where I used to live in Colorado, named Bandimere. You could hear those nitro-fueled dragsters for miles around with the noise echoing off the hills!

Always here to try and answer any questions you may have on these subjects, if I am able. Thanks for the comment on the P-47, it is flying great right now.

Cheers

davegee ( one of your local squark representatives Ha!)

Comment

• Yep bandimere was the mile high nationals.. hav great day

Comment

Yep bandimere was the mile high nationals.. hav great day
                          Awesome!!👍👍

Comment

• Took the 'ol Corsair out for a few flights this morning. Beautiful, almost calm weather. I would concur with Nuts-n-Volt's comments on flying this aircraft in a previous notice above. Rudder is a key, BIG rudder sometimes, and NOW, when required. I have also found that my changing out the stock main tires for the 3.5" Robarts helps in ground tracking and "sticking" it on the ground on the mains when landing. Definitely bring it in with some power to touchdown, to be sure. Two-point, tail low, works for me and realism for the real plane.

My plane commemorates one flown by one of the great American aces of WWII, Capt, Robert "Killer Bob" Hanson, USMCR, MOH (posthumously). He was the top scorer in the Corsair aircraft (25 kills) before he himself was killed on a fighter sweep in the Solomon islands a couple of days before he was to be rotated home for R&R, and just after his 23rd birthday. RIP, Bob.

Today is the 77th anniversary of VJ (Victory over Japan) Day celebrated on the 14th in the west, but on the 15th in Asia (time zone difference.)

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	th537OOX8B.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	352767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0083.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	352768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0082.jpgadjsuted.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	352769

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                              Today is the 77th anniversary of VJ (Victory over Japan) Day celebrated on the 14th in the west, but on the 15th in Asia (time zone difference.)
                              My plane commemorates one flown by one of the great American aces of WWII, Capt, Robert "Killer Bob" Hanson, USMCR, MOH (posthumously). He was the top scorer in the Corsair aircraft (25 kills) before he himself was killed on a fighter sweep in the Solomon islands a couple of days before he was to be rotated home for R&R, and just after his 23rd birthday. RIP, Bob. Cheers davegee

]
                              DG, Just a beautiful repaint and mod of a memorable aircraft flown by a courageous naval aviator. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, Just a beautiful repaint and mod of a memorable aircraft flown by a courageous naval aviator. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                Thanks, Elbee. Your opinions are very much appreciated.

Bob Hanson was one tough marine. He got those 25 kills in just a matter of months through hellbent fighting to shoot everything down that he could. A few days before his final mission where he was killed, he came back from a fighter sweep and somehow had a landing mishap where his plane flipped over, severing his thumb in the bargain. The last squadron group photo shows him wearing his usual camo's with a bandage on his hand where his thumb used to be. He went right out and flew missions again. It's good to remember our war heroes like Bob Hanson and all the rest, I think.

Best,

Dave

Comment

• Bent-Wing Brethren, Dry fit the empennage after adding all those 'checkers' and airbrushing the bottom white and the top ANA 606 Sea Blue. I will fill around the assembly gaps with lightweight filler, sand, and touch up with more Sea Blue. That should allow me to go to the next step, the wings...so where are those darn wings? I think I saw 'em around here last Christmas.... Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Lookin' good!! I'm sure those pesky wings are around someplace! Good luck!!😁😁👍👍

dg

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                      Bent-Wing Brethren, Dry fit the empennage after adding all those 'checkers' and airbrushing the bottom white and the top ANA 606 Sea Blue. I will fill around the assembly gaps with lightweight filler, sand, and touch up with more Sea Blue. That should allow me to go to the next step, the wings...so where are those darn wings? I think I saw 'em around here last Christmas.... Best, LB
                                      Sweet, I still can't get over how great those cowl flaps are! Oh yah, the other mods aren't too shabby either. Guess I'm just fixated on the flaps!
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                      X