Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 980mm FMS P-40 B Flight

FMS 980mm P-40B on 3s FUN

I've crashed this bird twice with 4S due to outrageous torque.. You can fly it with 3S as your video shows. Have you ever tried 4s and if so how can you get it in the air without the torque roll over crash? If you know how please let me know. I'm trying to repair my bird at this time since it is no longer available. I hope you still participate in this blog. I'm a reasonably good flyer and have no problems with my other warbird FMS planes.

Comment

Stanley Blum Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I had the first bird in the country, and it's still in flying condition, although back in storage in California.

I flew it on 4s, taking off from a paved runway. Slow application of throttle eliminated any torque roll on takeoff. A longer rollout will help gain airspeed, and perhaps you may even want to experiment with very gentle down pressure on the elevator as the model is accelerating, so you can more precisely control the moment the tail lifts off the ground. Once at elevator neutral and with good airspeed, you should barely have to lift the elevator to get airborne. Level takeoff, like the real thing. Don't pull back too much - - it may not be as forgiving as some of your other FMS birds.

Also triple check your thrust line, to ensure it's in the stock location and not too straight ahead.

Let us know how that goes!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I have one in the box that I need to fly. Jets and quads have kept me from getting at it lol

Comment

It's a good bird, you'll like it whenever you get around to unboxing and flying yours, GB. It was the first of the 980mm class a few years ago as a follow-up to the larger 1100mm Strega/Voodoo/F2G of the previous year. The Ki-61 was my favorite of the 980mm class, but the P-40 was a good bird for its intended market. It eventually spawned the larger 1.4+ Class P-40, which in my experience is one of the better flyers in the class.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I had to remove the stock motor mount , cut the flanges off epoxy the foam and the motor mount to get the thrust Line back. I had two good take offs curving the throttle response on my Futaba transmitter. I did as suggested with a longer take off run but on the third takeoff it tourqued toward the grass and caught the prop which of course broke. Wait for more props from FMS. This is the only plane to give me trouble of the 30 birds I fly and 35 years of flying. I'm not a great pilot but I get by as all my birds are still in one piece with many repairs from wear. The best air frame I own is the Demonstrator from 3D Hobbies. It is worth every cent. I'm sure I have over a thousand flights with only two servo failures, elevator and rudder. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I forgot to ask. Where is your CG? I found that 47.5 mm renders the plane's flight nose heavy. I do need to try a 3 s flight as I still try to fly with the recommended 4s battery.

Comment

Working...
              X