X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlitzRCWorks Green Super P-40E Warhawk 2000mm

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I don't like larger models as a general rule, as I really don't have room for them. But watching the flight video, I actually forgot I was looking at a model a couple of times. Anyone have one of these?

Woody

I bought one of these from BH when they first came out years ago. Recalling the fervor online, others had worse experiences with theirs than I did with mine. Overall, mine was "alright", and worth owning in my opinion. It wins the size and presence award, hands down. But in all honesty it turned out to be a labor of love to get it to fly right and fly consistently. Some people like the prospect of tinkering with a model, and I think those of us with that mindset had kinder things to say about the model. I wouldn't call it a modern PNP by any stretch in terms of flight readiness. You'll want to reinforce the wing, possible the retract mounts, test every servo more than usual, install a cleaner wiring setup, and plan for the likely event of replacing the retracts. I went through three sets. Other than those things, I personally can't fault the model. As long as you know what you're getting into, you should be happy. The model is as large a P-40 as will be on the market for the foreseeable future, so in many ways it's worth the price of admission simply because it's the only option in that size for foam electric. The market has have changed and the over/under on a model this size just doesn't pencil out as acceptably as it once did.

I eventually went to an 8s power system, which was well worth it while it lasted. A receiver hit on DSM2 took me out one day, and that was that.

If you do decide to get one, buy as many spare props as you can.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
      I bought one of these from BH when they first came out years ago. Recalling the fervor online, others had worse experiences with theirs than I did with mine. Overall, mine was "alright", and worth owning in my opinion. It wins the size and presence award, hands down. But in all honesty it turned out to be a labor of love to get it to fly right and fly consistently. Some people like the prospect of tinkering with a model, and I think those of us with that mindset had kinder things to say about the model. I wouldn't call it a modern PNP by any stretch in terms of flight readiness. You'll want to reinforce the wing, possible the retract mounts, test every servo more than usual, install a cleaner wiring setup, and plan for the likely event of replacing the retracts. I went through three sets. Other than those things, I personally can't fault the model. As long as you know what you're getting into, you should be happy. The model is as large a P-40 as will be on the market for the foreseeable future, so in many ways it's worth the price of admission simply because it's the only option in that size for foam electric. The market has have changed and the over/under on a model this size just doesn't pencil out as acceptably as it once did.

I eventually went to an 8s power system, which was well worth it while it lasted. A receiver hit on DSM2 took me out one day, and that was that.

Thanks for that Alpha. It's a little big for me, though I would love to have a nice P-40, (Don't have one). The small FMS is available from HH but it sounds like that one is a bit unstable. The larger one is back ordered. So probably not today, LOL. Thanks for the sound advise mate.

Best Regards
      Woody

PS that reinforcing the wing thing becomes a serious pain in the *ss. I've had to do it for a couple of my models. No Thanks! I always buy spare props any time I purchase a new model, as a matter of fact if the spare props are not available I usually opt not to purchase the model. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Comment

If by "the small FMS", you mean the FMS 1400mm P-40B, I can say that it definitely isn't "unstable" in my experience. AceMigKiller really tears up the sky with his and puts on quite a show. The older ~2010 era FMS P-40 was made obsolete overnight with FMS' new P-40 in 2015. The only thing not going for it is size, but as you mentioned, that comes with a modder's price.

Comment

This one Alpha. The 1400 is golden, this smaller one, the reviews aren't so good. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-980mm-fmm075p

Best Regards
          Woody

Comment

Ah. I was on that project years ago. I liked it, for what that's worth. At the time it was a small size since FMS had been making 1100mms and 650mms, then suddenly here comes this 980mm series. The thing about that bird was that its retracts, by the very nature of twist-turn retracts, were less durable in identical circumstances compared to a conventional outboard pivoting retract. Same as the Freewing 80mm A-6's twist/turn retract, which is a little bigger but deals with similar forces given its larger size, is less durable compared to a conventional retract. But that's more a function of the model at that scale, than it is design, in my opinion. Any twist-turn retract on a 980mm warbird would have been worth watching closely. For me, it wasn't a deal breaker. For others, it was.

As for its stability, I think Rich Baker's video showed the model's stability and capabilities rather well. Even so, I will say that the 980mm P-40 is better suited to operating off of paved surfaces than grass, again due to the size and layout of its unique undercarriage.

Comment

From ALPHA: " model is as large a P-40 as will be on the market for the foreseeable future"

WHOA!!!!
              Did Alpha just confirm a 1600mm p40 from flightline before my 50th birthday in February!

Makes sense, he has the corsair retracts and power system

Boy that Alpha is a helava guy for confirming my B'day present:);):Cool::Silly:

My 2 Favorite schemes....

Oh and thanks Alpha

Comment

Woody, I have watched ov10 (warbird Charlie) fly his several times. Even flew my slightly modified fms fw190 against it (his p-40 is also modified for more motor). His p-40 was always rock solid! Only draw back was landing, both our fields are grass but his is much smoother than ours. He ends up with the teeter totter landing at our field. That means half the time it settles on the tail, other 50% it settles on the nose.

This is because the retracts rotate 90 degrees forward to aft putting the wheel to close to the cg for its size vs our grass. I am hoping the size of the corsair is big enough to eliminate this problem. If not I will have to redesign them for 100 degrees of rotation. I believe it will require a new cam and pivot point on the mounting ears.

In our p-40 vs fw190 fms race the warbird charlie’s p-40 won.

Joe
                Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
                  Woody, I have watched ov10 (warbird Charlie) fly his several times. Even flew my slightly modified fms fw190 against it (his p-40 is also modified for more motor). His p-40 was always rock solid! Only draw back was landing, both our fields are grass but his is much smoother than ours. He ends up with the teeter totter landing at our field. That means half the time it settles on the tail, other 50% it settles on the nose.

This is because the retracts rotate 90 degrees forward to aft putting the wheel to close to the cg for its size vs our grass. I am hoping the size of the corsair is big enough to eliminate this problem. If not I will have to redesign them for 100 degrees of rotation. I believe it will require a new cam and pivot point on the mounting ears.

In our p-40 vs fw190 fms race the warbird charlie’s p-40 won.

Joe
                  Hey Joe, which one is Charley flying, IE what size? "Wingspan".

Woody

Comment

Sorry, the 1.4m

Joe
                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Yea, that's the one I wanted. But there back ordered till next year. : ( Thanks for the info mate. Merry Christmas!

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post

Hey Joe, which one is Charley flying, IE what size? "Wingspan".

Woody
                        Woody........I had (operative verb here due to the incinerator) the 2000 Blitz also. It is a floaty buggar for an airframe of this size.
                        It's flying weight was actually less (about 2 lbs) than my FW 1700 A-10.
                        Was an alright model as Alpha indicated above. I didn't reinforce the wing and it didn't seem to bother.
                        My only arse ache with it was dropping the cockpit hatch during inverted flight. Had to add 4 heavy duty magnets to keep it on.
                        It had FMS 1700 Corsair retracts on it. I would probably recommend using the new FL 1600 Corsair retracts for it since they sport a 5mm pin.
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks Charley!

That's good to know. I've never had a P-40. Have always loved the way they look, especially with the. "Flying Tiger" Markings. The video of that 2000mm flying around was pretty stunning actually.
                          Merry Christmas to you mate.

Best Regards
                          Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                            Yea, that's the one I wanted. But there back ordered till next year. : ( Thanks for the info mate. Merry Christmas!

Woody
                            Motion has the 1,4m in stock.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

I had the Durafly P-40. Bought it used from the hobby shop. I wondered why it was so cheap...I quickly found out. The model simply would not balance. 1/3rd of the chord, battery installed, took off, and had a (flying) tiger by the tail. Acted so tail heavy it was incredible. Managed to get it down (on the belly, or I would have torn all of the gear out of it). Moved the battery forward, moved it back, larger batt, smaller, nothing would get it to handle properly. Wound up in an inverted flat spin it wouldn't come out of, and into the bin it went. I didn't even save any of the electronics, as I did not want the gremlins to come back home with me!! I love a Warhawk. Hopefully FlightLine will do one at some point.

Comment

Good evening, I’ve had a P-40E about three years now. Great flying airplane, slow but stable. A friend describes it as a big park flyer. I fly using a 5000mAh 6 cell battery. I also installed a separate receiver battery. Only high failure item I’ve experienced is with the gear. Construction is not the best. Soft aluminum rails assembled with glue.
                                Cheers
                                Woody L

Comment

Woody, my son and I took these:

http://www.fmsmodel.com/front-landin...700mm-f4u-blue

mounted them to 1inx1/8inx36in aluminum from lowes/home despot to extend the ears of the retracts. screwed into that flimsy aluminum from the original retracts w sheet metal screws and glued that assembly back into the hole. unfortunately the servos are being replaced b4 its next flight but they took two landings which is double the originals. they failed on the taxi back at our feet.

he has a turnagy sk3 5065-320 on 6s5a20c turning a 16x12 the first flight, next time out it will fly on a 16x8 apce. draws below 50amps at full tilt, which was much faster than the foam could handle so most of the flights were at half throttle (60-65mph) where it was happy.

Joe

Comment

Woody , Paladin's suggestion is a good one for rotating retracts in that approximate size.

I still need to finish Jhnybgd's P-40 for his 55th birthday

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

A friend had one at our field , lots of work but man it flew very well. The one bad part was the plastic parts left in the sun melt.

Comment

Does anyone happen to have a battery hatch cover for this plane available for purchase? I am referring tot he hatch in front of the cockpit. I lost mine and would love to procure another. I have not been able to locate one as of yet. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                        X