Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I would be the first to attempt an onboard camera (RunCam 2).

I see why I am the first.

The bad news? Prop #3 is dead after about 2.5 seconds of flight time. The good news? The rest of the plane is fine.

Warning: Turn down the audio when I go to launch (between 1:00-1:12), the prop wash is incredibly loud.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Ricky: “Luuuuccccyyy what did you do ?!”
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• What was your helpers name? lol.

Comment

• That would be Baylee. She loves to chase my planes but the doofus likes to run into them too in the takeoff roll if she gets the chance. :Angry: :Straight-Face: :Silly: LOL
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Pretty excited, my stang shows up today! Installing rudder from get-go!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by e4dragongunner; Mar 9, 2019, 06:52 AM. Reason: Ordered these graphics from Callie! :-)
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Nice! Enjoy! Be mindful of the prop. While all 3 of my incidents involved hard landings and compressed, cold, hard surfaces, I think the stock props are awfully brittle. At least one, if not two out of the three hard landings shouldn't have broke the prop IMO. I went to my LHS today to see if they had any 9x6 APC props. They were out but they did have 10x5E's so I tried one. Unfortunately it wouldn't quite fit with the spinner so I will order some 9x6 APC props and give those a try.

Good call on the rudder. Might as well. Just good form to always have coordinated turn capability on any aircraft small or large. Enjoy!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• The props angle interferes with the backing plate. I already tried a 9x6 and few others. The thickness and where the prop meets the center section is what's off. You'll need a new spinner.
                Planes
                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                  The props angle interferes with the backing plate. I already tried a 9x6 and few others. The thickness and where the prop meets the center section is what's off. You'll need a new spinner.
                  Correct! :Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                    That would be Baylee. She loves to chase my planes but the doofus likes to run into them too in the takeoff roll if she gets the chance. :Angry: :Straight-Face: :Silly: LOL
                    :)LOL She is a beautiful dog.

Comment

• Thanks! Yeah she's a pain sometimes but she's cute so I will keep her. LOL
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Bought a couple of these little gems. Brings me back to the early 2000s when I was rocking all of the GWS warbirds :) I posted this on RCgroups, but figured I'd throw it up here. Powering one of them with an EMAX 2206-2550, spinning a 6" prop on 6s, and running a 50A multirotor ESC. Incredibly potent little setup. I've created a new mount and spinner to accommodate the install. If there's any interest I can upload to Thingiverse. I'd be happy to design a spinner to suit the needs of others here too.

Comment

• Cool! Video please.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Got the rest of my decals from Callie and bought an APC 9x6 prop I am going to go try out. Wish me luck! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix2.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	184701
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Finally! A flight without breaking a prop! Sheesh! LOL

Man I love that APC prop WAAAAY better than stock. Flew faster, more efficient and much less noise! In fact it was near silent. And the best part, handled the landing like a champ! The only thing is you have to dremel out portions of the stock spinner to fit. The prop needed to be reemed a bit as well. But it's worth the effort. Glad I bought a couple.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by 68Strat View Post
                                Bought a couple of these little gems. Brings me back to the early 2000s when I was rocking all of the GWS warbirds :) I posted this on RCgroups, but figured I'd throw it up here. Powering one of them with an EMAX 2206-2550, spinning a 6" prop on 6s, and running a 50A multirotor ESC. Incredibly potent little setup. I've created a new mount and spinner to accommodate the install. If there's any interest I can upload to Thingiverse. I'd be happy to design a spinner to suit the needs of others here too.
                                68Strat, that's a great setup! It reminds me of what some of us ran in the old Multiplex Dogfighter in 2011/2012. Good fun with that setup.

Please feel free to post your STL files here, too, if you wanted.

Aros, slick livery!
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Got my maiden flights in today. Wind was around 10 mph and sunny around 60 degrees.

I thought I would set up my "recovery mode" on a switch in case I wanted to launch using that but for my maiden I didn't want to chance it as I wasn't sure of my gain settings on the receiver and what might result. So I turned the switch to "off" or so I thought!!!! :Sweating:

Flight 1: I launched into the wind with an underhand toss at about 2/3 throttle and then got quickly on the sticks. Well I had a heck of a time controlling it as it was fighting my every input. I thought I just had the gains too high (they were at the 12 o'clock" position) but it was worse than the normal wing wobble - it was pitching and rocking like crazy. Eventually I managed to bring it around and cut throttle and was able to glide on in - miracle I didn't break something! Then when I went to pick it up it was then I noticed the aileron movement when it was tilted and I discovered that the "recovery mode" was on the entire time. Lesson learned - Yes the plane will fly in recovery mode but it is unlike SAFE and it will fight every move you make!!

Flight 2: Launched the same way only this time with just the normal stabilization. It took off nicely but noticed at higher speeds had wing rock so brought it in to adjust aileron gain. No other issues with control. Reduced gain switch to a little past the 10 o'clock position.

Flight 3; Launched the same way but this time I knocked the aileron stick at launch and fumbles to get control. Hit ground with left wingtip and struck prop before cutting power breaking it off. No damage other than a little wingtip rash and the broken prop!

Flight 4: Swapped out prop with one of the two I ordered with the plane and launched again with a newly charged battery. This time no issues at all. It flew nicely and handled great. It has plenty of speed (for me anyway) on a 2200 3S. Added a little bit of left aileron trim and flew for over a little over 6 minutes with 3.85 remaining on each cell.. Flew with the recommended throws and at low rates. Even at low rates the roll rate is very quick!

What a fun little plane! I love it and will be a frequent flyer at the field!!

Photos show my receiver setup and battery placement at recommended CG.

Name:	IMG_4883.JPG
Views:	979
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	184721

Name:	IMG_4881.JPG
Views:	1159
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	184720

Name:	IMG_4882.JPG
Views:	1038
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	184719

Comment

• Glad yours survived with minimal damage! It's a really fun bird once you get the hang of the underhand toss (a new concept for me) and quickly get on the sticks...I have been flying mainly with the 4S 2200...Flies just fine on the 3S 2200 as well. My last flight this evening I gave her a good 15 degree toss or so at half throttle (4S) and she took off great. I found low rates to be just fine. High is just too twitchy for me since I am not using a gyro. My dog got tired of trying to chase it.

LOL
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• You knew I couldn't let it rest. LOL

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                        You knew I couldn't let it rest. LOL

Fun video - your dog loves that plane - gives him a great workout!!!! And almost a goal at the end - impressive!! LOL

Comment

• LOL

Yeah she goes bonkers over my planes...She is tenacious, never gives up even though it's obvious she will never catch one!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X