X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings fellow RC fans.
    Noob pilot reporting here. I bump into this forum and this tread by looking at motion rc page, deceiding I want to buy this awesome Mustang
    I dont know much about this hobby, but I do know I love it!
    I bought a simple trainer 2 months ago, a WL Toys 3 channel Cessna RTF, and have been flying ever since.
    Now its time to upgrade and this Mustang is perfect.
    I would like to get some tips regarding buying the new station, receivers, battery, charger.
    Since I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, i am limited to a certan degree what I can get delivered. So far its Motion RC and Hobby King.
    First thing first, the Transmiter
    I opted for the 8 ch station, up to 200 usd. So far I can eider buy a second hand Spektrum dx8, or new FrSky Taranis.
    My question is, which is better, and can I combine let say some admiral receiver or some h king receiver or admiral gyro, with the Spektrum or Fry Sky? Are they compatible?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Black View Post
      Greetings fellow RC fans.
      Noob pilot reporting here. I bump into this forum and this tread by looking at motion rc page, deceiding I want to buy this awesome Mustang
      I dont know much about this hobby, but I do know I love it!
      I bought a simple trainer 2 months ago, a WL Toys 3 channel Cessna RTF, and have been flying ever since.
      Now its time to upgrade and this Mustang is perfect.
      I would like to get some tips regarding buying the new station, receivers, battery, charger.
      Since I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, i am limited to a certan degree what I can get delivered. So far its Motion RC and Hobby King.
      First thing first, the Transmiter
      I opted for the 8 ch station, up to 200 usd. So far I can eider buy a second hand Spektrum dx8, or new FrSky Taranis.
      My question is, which is better, and can I combine let say some admiral receiver or some h king receiver or admiral gyro, with the Spektrum or Fry Sky? Are they compatible?
      Hello Mr. Black and welcome to Hobbysquawk!

As for transmitter, I have used both FR Sky and Spektrum. As for ease of use for a newbie I would recommend Spektrum. They are compatible with all of Motion RC's admiral receiver/gyros and have many more helpful videos available on line than FR Sky. I started on FR Sky myself and learned their open source software and when I used a Spektrum later down the line I realized how much easier Spektrum was.

If you believe you will be continuing in this hobby for the long haul then grab the DX8. And for this model you will want the Admiral 6 channel receiver/gyro combo (RX600SP), an Admiral 2200mAh 3s or 4s battery with XT60 connector (or 2 or 3) and for the charger, start with something cheaper like this one (https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...-ac-dc-charger) it will charge those batteries. Eventually you might want to upgrade as you aquire more planes with more variations of batteries.

Good luck on your RC journey!

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Hello Mr. Black and welcome to Hobbysquawk!

As for transmitter, I have used both FR Sky and Spektrum. As for ease of use for a newbie I would recommend Spektrum. They are compatible with all of Motion RC's admiral receiver/gyros and have many more helpful videos available on line than FR Sky. I started on FR Sky myself and learned their open source software and when I used a Spektrum later down the line I realized how much easier Spektrum was.

If you believe you will be continuing in this hobby for the long haul then grab the DX8. And for this model you will want the Admiral 6 channel receiver/gyro combo (RX600SP), an Admiral 2200mAh 3s or 4s battery with XT60 connector (or 2 or 3) and for the charger, start with something cheaper like this one (https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/...-ac-dc-charger) it will charge those batteries. Eventually you might want to upgrade as you aquire more planes with more variations of batteries.

Good luck on your RC journey!
        James, tnx for the warm welcoming and fast reply.
        I will try to buy decent used Spektrum DX8 and will deff get that admiral combo.
        As for the batteries, I already planned to get 3 of them. Maybe one 3s and two 4s or vice versa. I read somewere that recommended batteries ate 1500-1800 mah? Please advise
        Thank You

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk Mr. Black! I use the 4S Admiral 2200 mAh in mine and she scoots like a rocket! 3S 2200 flies decent as well...Just not with the same top speed. If scale flight is your style I would recommend the 3S, but if you feel the need for speed, definitely go the 4S route.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Welcome to Hobby Squawk Mr. Black! I use the 4S Admiral 2200 mAh in mine and she scoots like a rocket! 3S 2200 flies decent as well...Just not with the same top speed. If scale flight is your style I would recommend the 3S, but if you feel the need for speed, definitely go the 4S route.
            As I mentioned in my first post, I am green as grass as a pilot, but both flying scale and flying fast sounds good to me😊

So, Im gonna get:
            Spektrum DX8
            Admiral Rx600SP
            3 2200 Mah batteries ( 3 and 4 S ). What temperature should I take?
            charger that James recommended
            I will also buy 2 spare props, glue and foam tape for painting the tail, nose and wingtips

Anything else I should buy?

Thank you

Comment

• New to this forum. Looks like alot of knowledge on here. What size graphics do I order from Callie for the Mustang 51d 850 mm version? Thanks in advance Vern

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk Vefrancis! This model is 1/13 scale. Plus Callie is so good all you have to do is tell her what model you want decals for and she will know the size.
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I decided to go ahead and get one of these as a simple hand toss yank and bank. I went with the Shanghai LIL scheme.
                  I plan on using my Admiral 4S 2200 45C's that I use in my 64mm edf's. Set up and CG'd it based on the manual. I had an extra Eagle A3-L gyro laying around, so I dropped it in.
                  Looks like it should be a fun plane.

Comment

• Yep she's a blast. Just be mindful of the torque when you go to underhand toss her...Went through a few stock props...A bit of a learning curve. I found about half throttle and a touch of right stick works well. I also upgraded to an APC prop which is far less brittle than the stock prop. Enjoy!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                      Yep she's a blast. Just be mindful of the torque when you go to underhand toss her...Went through a few stock props...A bit of a learning curve. I found about half throttle and a touch of right stick works well. I also upgraded to an APC prop which is far less brittle than the stock prop. Enjoy!
                      Thanks!
                      I watched your videos. I may do my maiden toss with my gyro on.

Comment

• Yeah gyro isn't a bad idea with this one...Have fun!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I did my maiden today. I was able to get 2 flights in before dark. There was definitely some torque with the hand launch, but the gyro really tamed it. This plane was everything I was hoping for.. Low level passes were like it was on rails. I turned off the gyro and Couldn't really tell any difference. This thing is every bit as fast as my FW 64mm F-18, but instead of 3 minute flights I'm getting 8 minutes with room to spare.
                          This plane is gonna get a lot of time in the air!

Comment

• Congrats! Yeah she's a blast to "Toss and Boss!"
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yes - This is a great flying plane once you get the toss part down. I have mine set up now with slight up elevator in launch mode and an overhand toss with my left hand and 2/3 throttle. Lots of uneventful launches with this method!

My experiment with the admiral recovery mode when I tried it didn't go as planned. I gave it an underhand toss but the down elevator made it dive into the ground before any recovery! Amazingly it didn't break a prop and just wrinkled the foam a bit.

The heat has the foam gatoring under the canopy but in 90 plus heat that is to be expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by McLogo View Post
                                I got my P-51D today and had to paint it straight away after work. Looking foward to maiden it! :D
                                I really like how you can paint the final colors yourself and choose between the 2 decals included with the kit.
                                Can you pls explain the process of painiting? Did you use water based color, and did you spray painted it or did you use handbrush?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Black View Post

Can you pls explain the process of painiting? Did you use water based color, and did you spray painted it or did you use handbrush?
                                  I used Rust-oleum 2x Ultra cover paint & primer. I did some basic weathering with Citadel shade NULN OIL paint and a small paint brush. I mainly just painted in the panel lines.

Click image for larger version  Name:	483814B0-EBBD-4323-88B5-395B15B6211F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	214014

Comment

• Very nice! Subtle weathering, especially on a smaller model, is the way to go. Good job!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Thanks! This was my first ever attempt at weathering.
                                      Credit for the Citadel NULN Oil paint for weathering goes to the Merry Boozer YouTube Chanel, They have some good videos on weathering techniques.

Comment

• Where do you put the Admiral 4s 2200 for CG? I'm finding it to be at the front edge of the canopy where it goes into the fuselage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
                                          Did anyone notice that the Decal Placement Guide shows the Stars 'n Bars on the wings pointing aft? Looks like at least McLogo went into this trap. In addition, the S/N on the decal below the cockpit is wrong as well ;)

Maidened my P-51 today with 4s 2200 power. Lots of fun!

I didn't like the instrument panel and made a 3DP part plus a gunsight. Files are attached, feel free to make your own. The pilot is available from Thingiverse, scaled by 87% plus a slicer cut in height. Just search for "ww2 pilot USAAF", there are different choices (goggles on/off, oxygen mask). I added rivets using the toothpick method and added some TAMIYA Panel Line Accent Color.
                                          Hello

I saw that you insert pilot in your 850 mm Mustang. Can you pls explain how did you open the canopy and how did you trim and fix the pilot ?
                                          Tnx

Comment

Working...
                                          X