Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I don't think my battery placement is all the way forward. Similar to where Coconut said. It's book Cg. On a low wing warbird, I personally don't like having an aft CG. I do use my 3s packs and it's fun but 4s is noticeably more powerful.

Comment

• Here is how to successfully fly FW-190 850MM:

Excuse me for the the above sentence 🤣 And I know there are numerous successful experiences with FW-190 in this forum, and I know there are many pilots who fly better and more skillful than me. Here I want to thank all pilots who have helped me and gave me advices.

I just want to distill my experience with FW-190 to several points, aiming to help new pilots who just bought this model and being nervous to get it fly well. Now when I hand launch this little plane, I no longer feel nervous.

1. 3S is sufficient to fly. At the beginning, I was worried 3s wasn't enough, my worry was baseless. I use 80-90% throttle when launch.

2. when landing, be patient to give the model time to bleed off energy. Try to flare, lower, flare, then land. This way, the stock propeller can serve you many flights.

3. mixing a bit of up elevator, is good for hand launch. I use flap->elevator mix, about 12%. Don't forget to take back the flap, i.e., remove the up elevator after it climbs to safe height.

4. this point is critical! Try to use gyro. Before I made use of gyro, my hand launch success rate was about 50%. Each hand launch was like a gamble and I had to be quick with my hand to put it back on transmitter after tossing the model! The propeller toque was obvious and usually gave the model a not-mild left turn, which may lead to crashes. I totally crashed four times with it.

Then finally I decided to turn on gyro. I use a Spektrum AS636 receiver. I dialed in 12% roll gain, zero for pitch and this model doesn't have rudder anyway. This magically cures my hand launch, which is very smooth and eventless now. Now hand launch of this little model is like hand launch of a big glider! Very happy.

Gyro, yes, that is the saviour!

Comment

• Given my previous 50% success rate of hand launching, I haven't really venture into 4s realm yet. Will try 4s this week.

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
        Yeah, I don't think my battery placement is all the way forward. Similar to where Coconut said. It's book Cg. On a low wing warbird, I personally don't like having an aft CG. I do use my 3s packs and it's fun but 4s is noticeably more powerful.

Comment

• I own the 3s packs, so I fly with them. I use the 3s for 'warm-up' flights and then move to the 4s. I'm used to the differences in flight characteristics of the 3s and 4s. The 4s I use 4s 2500s, so it's a little heavier and so the approach angle is a little steeper but not by much. For me, with any plane , I constantly need to remind myself not to try to land too fast and not to get it too slow too early. I know, no ****, this is the basics of landing approaches, but I still need to remind myself. And another 'skill' I constantly work on is making the decision to go around. It sounds crazy but I think the mark of a good pilot is the ability to recognize the moment that I need to power up and go around. Good approaches still can turn into crappy landings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coconut View Post
            I would. But, I don't use 3 cell. I use 4 cell 2200, and have the front of the battery right at the leading edge of the front of the canopy.
            Ok I’ll try it with the 3s all the way forward and see how it goes. Thanks!

Comment

• I broke my prop after a successful maiden flight. Does anyone know where I can find a prop replacement? I can't seem to find a prop w/ a 8mm shaft diameter.
              Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by salali View Post
                I broke my prop after a successful maiden flight. Does anyone know where I can find a prop replacement? I can't seem to find a prop w/ a 8mm shaft diameter.
                Thanks.
                I was going to say at Motion but I see that they're sold out...

Comment

• I ended up buying the APC 9x6 Thin Electric Propeller (part #APC09060E) from AMain Hobbies. But that was before we started carrying them.

9x6 Thin Electric Propeller - Black from APC - LPB09060E APC propellers are high quality, competition proven propellers without the high quality price tag. Perfect for various prop-driven RC aircraft. Includes: One black composite propeller Five composite adapter rings that adapt to different motor shafts One instructi

I forget what I had to do to get them to fit (I think carve out some of the spinner) but they were worth the customizing. The stock props are brittle but these APC props took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post
                    4. this point is critical! Try to use gyro. Before I made use of gyro, my hand launch success rate was about 50%. Each hand launch was like a gamble and I had to be quick with my hand to put it back on transmitter after tossing the model! The propeller toque was obvious and usually gave the model a not-mild left turn, which may lead to crashes. I totally crashed four times with it.
                    Have you ever attempted to launch with your left hand so that you have control of the ailerons and elevators at all times? With aircraft like the 850mm Mustang and Dora, the Skynetic Havoc, EFX Racer, V900 etc....None of them need any sort of power behind their toss.

I am right-handed, but I will hold my transmitter with my right hand, thumb on the stick, then I will bring the throttle to full with the plane in my left hand. It won't go anywhere with you holding it, take a second to set yourself and then a simple underhand flick at 45 degrees, and they are off in no time, every time.

Unlike say an EDF where you need more of a football toss to get the speed and feed the EDF, these propeller-driven hand launchers have so much power. They want to fly, you just have to guide them.

Comment

• Exciting! It is James. Often watch your videos and really enjoy them!

I only can say, you are obviously a much much better pilot than me! I am not used to launch it with left hand. I guess I have to stick with the gyro. But thanks a lot for confirming it can be flied without using a gyro.

BTW, today my second Dora arrived and I just assembled it. Last time I was distracted when I flied it, it crashed into unrepairable pieces... Number 1 problem of me, gets distracted! This thing needs full attention.

Originally posted by James View Post

Have you ever attempted to launch with your left hand so that you have control of the ailerons and elevators at all times? With aircraft like the 850mm Mustang and Dora, the Skynetic Havoc, EFX Racer, V900 etc....None of them need any sort of power behind their toss.

I am right-handed, but I will hold my transmitter with my right hand, thumb on the stick, then I will bring the throttle to full with the plane in my left hand. It won't go anywhere with you holding it, take a second to set yourself and then a simple underhand flick at 45 degrees, and they are off in no time, every time.

Unlike say an EDF where you need more of a football toss to get the speed and feed the EDF, these propeller-driven hand launchers have so much power. They want to fly, you just have to guide them.

Comment

• salali With the APC props you have to upsize the hole. It's easy to do with just a drill bit and pliers to grab the drill bit. I know it sounds a little suspect but I have done it for many years and it's easy. I found that when I use a drill or my drill press it always catches and spins the prop, which hurts and is annoying. And you need to modify the spinner with a dremel tool. It's worth it, you won't break the APC props as often as the factory props. Here's a photo of the spinner modified for my Fw190, I did the same for my mustang. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201024_133635.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	290466Click image for larger version

Views:	547
ID:	290468Click image for larger version

Name:	20201024_133830.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	290469
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                          salali With the APC props you have to upsize the hole. It's easy to do with just a drill bit and pliers to grab the drill bit. I know it sounds a little suspect but I have done it for many years and it's easy. I found that when I use a drill or my drill press it always catches and spins the prop, which hurts and is annoying. And you need to modify the spinner with a dremel tool. It's worth it, you won't break the APC props as often as the factory props. Here's a photo of the spinner modified for my Fw190, I did the same for my mustang. Click image for larger version

Views:	582
ID:	290466Click image for larger version

ID:	290468Click image for larger version

Name:	20201024_133830.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	290469
                          SanExup Thanks for the pro tips. I did not consider any mods to the spinner so again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

• salali I hope that helps, if you go that route. I also use the apc 9x6 gasser props without issue. They are a little more durable than the thin electric 9x6, both are more durable than the stock prop. Maybe it doesn't have as much initial thrust at launch but honestly I don't notice the difference at all, hand launches seem the same, overall speed seems the same. But I have no real means of measuring other than feel and experience of both props and they seem comparable to me. Happy flying and gentle landings!

Comment

• SanExup Your recommendations helped. I completed the mod. I think it turned out pretty good. This was my first time using the rotary tool so the lines could be cleaner but overall, I think it turns out good.

Comment

• salali Nice work! It always is rewarding to have it look good on the table, and yet when its whizzing by at 80 mph it matters less. Happy flying!

Comment

• Hey guys, just got mine in. Could you post some pics of where your putting the 3s and 4S 2200’s on the tray? Waiting on some Callie graphics. Thank you.

Comment

• Never flown with 3S, but with 4S I put it at the front edge of the canopy. I'm using Admiral 4S 2200 45C.

Comment

• Has anyone found pilots that would fit in these? What scale would that be?

Comment

• Not sure where folks are finding them or IF they are finding them but the scale of this model is 1/13.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hey guys. This seems to much of a gap between the the prop hub and the plane. Is that about right? I can’t get it to go closer. Thanks.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X