Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well all had gone swimmingly until……Could those of you who wound up using Robart gear on this model could you please list part # or a link ? I got this thing on the gear this weekend and not terribly happy, main gear wheels would not fit because of huge mold seams, had to spin turn them on a drill to round up. the front gear strut axel holes is drilled crooked making proper alignment difficult at best, (of course out of stock) so I will have to redrill and rework. and the mains have a lot looseness around the links that introduces a lot of play, kinda sloppy for a plane of this size? Also have a wave retract sticking in the down position,and have contacted motion rc….

Comment

• Here is my retract order that i got from Robart.
      Robart 553RSE 105 degree retract($119.95), needed controller,($99.95 or $69.95 depending on full program or simple) using the #668($83.45) 7/16" trailing forked strut with a 2.75" wheel
      Mains: 552RSE 95 degree mains and 669L/R struts including controller plus extensions to reach the controller:Whew.
      Ill get the main wheels tomorrow but i thing Dubro lightweight on those and i had to trim part of a bulkhead to allow for the larger main wheels.

Comment

• thanks sam.... this morning went to tighten up steering yoke and the steel grub screw yanked the threads from the aluminum part? of course the only way the part is available is to buy and entire landing gear set which is on backorder.. ah rc is so much fun...so close but so far...

Comment

• Necessity spawns ingenuity so it just makes you think and look at a problem from another angle. You will have that addressed and be better than stock i bet.
          Stay on it Tim.

Comment

• I had a very successful maiden last week. She flew and performed flawlessly right from the roll out. I wish I had put reliable retracts in her. I went for the Motion RC X-Wave retracts and one failed to extend on her maiden flight. I tried every flight maneuver I could think of to get it to extend, but in the end I had to belly land. Ripped the sponsons off of her. These parts are not available from Motion RC (big shock). So, now I have a very lame big girl in my hanger.

I wish I knew something about 3D printing. Maybe that would be a solution. Right now I am looking for a foam core symmetrical wing that I can fashion in to replacement sponsons. Also need to find a set of reliable retracts that will fit her.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfinch View Post
              I went for the Motion RC X-Wave retracts and one failed to extend on her maiden flight. I tried every flight maneuver I could think of to get it to extend, but in the end I had to belly land.
              Deja Vu. Seconds upon lift off the starboard strut fell off mine and into the vegetation below. After a great flight otherwise, I set her down. I chose to land on two wheels, port main and nose. I found the strut after searching an hour or more. Inspection revealed the set screw hole in that strut did not have threads cut all the way through. When I thought the set screw was tight, it was not even touching the pin. Flies great though.
              There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Well I got past my little problem with the help of J&B weld,several of the old hands in our club recommended (I had never used, amazing stuff!) filled the hole and re drilled and tapped. The landing gear has given more trouble so far than the rest of the kit, I have spent some time filing and inserting small washers to take up the ‘slop" and modified the stock axel set ups , as the axel bolt threads were drilled crooked on all three? I think I am going test these retracts a bit as I have already had one fail…..
                dg finch: sorry about your mishap, it would take a monster 3d printer to print thos sponsons! Eflite timber x wing would be about right length and thickness ?
                working on a pvc assembly rack/stand for this awkward devil=)

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	731097B0-2E25-4836-8A7F-0660BF4612EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	224.7 KB ID:	320882 Ready to go, few more tweaks and radio set up and this thing is in the air…2x power 52’s swinging 14x7x3, all up weight with 2 6s 5000 on board 17lbs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Looks Great.
                    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Looking sharp, I would love to see it in the air!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	B328DCBD-3F44-48E1-8334-1B9FBE2C6E3F.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	321046 Thanks guys! Much appreciated, will try to get some video when it gets in the air.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Looks great Tim, wish i was close to come see the maiden. Really think your power system is very close to mine as my motors are EMax 4030's swinging the same props. I scotch brite my props for that dual flat finish and painted the tips. Did you go with counter rotating?
                          Awww, looking closer i see you did!!!!

Comment

• Here is some food for thought, where are your ESC's? Fuse or booms, I was going to use cap packs and throw them in the booms with the motors but have reconsidered to mount them near the batteries and extend the motor wires. I found a pack of 14ga 1000 strand silicone wire on Amazon, 5ft of each 6 colors no less, that im going to use to run out to the booms instead of the 10ga battery wires.
                            So who has ESC's in the fuse, i know of one already and not me, and who has them in the booms?

Comment

• Hi Sam, yep counter rotating. I put my esc in the booms, using the freewing 100 amp pair for the a-10, caps in place and plenty of wire to get thru wing to fuse. I am going to keep wing and booms as a unit( I have a older Honda van for hauling planes)I did add intake scoops on inside of booms with a flonase cap sawed in half to get some cooling air into the compartment. Vallejo dark olive drab is a perfect match for the green.
                              Got my radio setup done and ran up on a receiver that would not bind, contacted them and they want it back, so will be another week before I can get a new one, still need to check cg and a few other items,like the painted prop tip idea. Here’s a shot of my intake scoop
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	12F3CE0C-0AB0-4C98-8A0F-04649D517FDB.jpeg
Views:	410
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	321159
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Mine are in the booms along with the caps.

Mike
                                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Got props painted , and added nose art which really kicks it I think, got new receiver today so might get it in the air soon, weather not looking good for a few days.Click image for larger version

Name:	C1DA3E34-2B93-4056-9C4A-AA70BD1C16EC.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	321695

Comment

• Yeah, pretty hot and that's creating some major thunderstorms. If you get out early...

Comment

• The field where I fly is 1000 foot long Bermuda grass runway in a river bottom if you go out early everything gets drenched especially with the high humidity …we’ve been shut out of late day flying four days running big storms

Comment

• Looking great there Tim!.
                                        I have rewired mine for running the three wires out to the motors and found that moving the ECS's to the fuse is one less radio connection at the wing. So now i have retracts, SBus(ail, rud,flap and ele) and lights to plug at the wings as the motor wires will feed and connect under the cockpit. Im going to hook up and run each motor this weekend and mark my motor wires
                                        so i can make sure they are "keyed" correctly for rotation. Im going to run EMax 4030-10 motor on 6s with Master Airscrew 15x7-3bl counter rotating props on ZTW 65a ESC's. Im expecting 50ish amps and will run a watt-meter to check. The wire i found on Amazon is 14ga 1000 strand silicon and is perfect for the motor wires. It comes in 6 colors which makes easy for keying the wires for correct rotation during hook up. I used 29" for each set to the motors with a little slack for assembly. Ill post my power and meter readings after i run them up.

Comment

• Wired up and ran my setup today with better than anticipated results. Used a servo tester to control the ESC and ran by AstroFlight watt meter and came out with max 35a, 720w and a whole lot of wind. I did this on one boom and color coded my motor wires for when it is disassembled. I left my cap packs on the ESC leads as i didnt feel like desoldering today. This has made me very anxious to get this flight worthy as by the way this felt, it will be a hot rod.

Comment

Working...
                                          X