Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The markings are printed directly on the covering, so yes in that sense they are pre-applied.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
      I am finding it harder and harder to resist pushing that crazy order button!
      Why resist? Do it!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate View Post

Why resist? Do it!

Bob
        Ok, you talked me into it. I have the HobbyKing C-47 up next on the bench, I'll be painting invasion stripes on it and I've already got the "That's All Brother" decals from Callie. Once this is done and flown I'm ordering the He111.

I really want to fly the C-47 on the D-DAY anniversary June 6th.

Comment

I have the Graupner He-111, which is basically the same model, but an earlier version. Alpha has asked m to make a post on my observations and experiences with my Graupner 111, and I'm happy to do so.

First off, I love my 111. It is a rock-solid model and the detailing is beautiful. Here's how I've outfitted my 111:

Power Train:
          Motors: Turnigy Aerodrive 4240-740Kv motors (note: I did have to cut out the webbing on the front of the nacelles (between the motor and spinner) because this 4240 was a little too long and was would've rubbed against the fiberglass webbing).
          Props: MAS 11x7, counter rotating
          Spinner: Dubro 2.5" (maybe 2.75", I don't remember for sure) 3-bladed spinner. Note (as you can see in the photos): the spinner are a little too small (diameter) and the shape is too pointy.

Servos:
          Aileron and Flaps: HS-81
          Rudder and Elevator: Futaba S3010
          I see that Motion recommends HS-D645 servos. I fly these servos on my 90" Phoenix A-26 and am very happy with them. My feeling is that they are a really good choice for this model.

Gear: I believe that the servos are Futaba S3010s, but it's immaterial as the BH version will come with servoless retracts. My servo-actuated retracts work just fine (but I did have to plug them into different channels in the RX so that I could subtrim them to retract and deploy properly.

Radio System: Admiral 10-channel RX and Spek DX9. This plane can be flown with a 6-channel radio (well, the new version with servoless retracts), but I recommend a 9 channel. Each Aileron has its own channel. I have set up my motor for differential thrust (so, each throttle needs its own channel). For the case of my servo-actuated retracts, each retract servo has its own channel, so that the retract movement can be properly set. Obviously, mixing is required to run this type of setup.

Differential Throttle: I do this on almost all of my multi-engine planes. It helps a lot with taxiing. I do not fly with differential thrust though.

Battery: Admiral Pro and HRB 4S-5000. The 5AH battery is a tight fit, but it will fit.

Construction:
          The balsa and ply construction is very solid and the RX compartment is plenty roomy. The skin is printed with panel lines and looks awesome.

Field Assembly:
          As a rule, i do not like to assemble planes at the field, if I can avoid it. I have a trailer that I use to transport my 1.6m+ planes to the field. My Graupner 111 is a real hassle to assemble at the field. Honestly, I probably would not fly it as much, if I had to assemble it at the field. With almost everything having it's own RX channel, getting it hooked up properly is a logistical nightmare. So, I only remove the wings for depot maintenance.

Handling Characteristics:

Ground:
          I fly on a grass field. I have no problem taxiing on the grass. To the best of my knowledge, I have never nosed her over, even on landing.

Takeoff:
          I've found her easy to take off. The maiden was pretty bad, but since then, she's been a peach to get airborne. Typical tail-dragger technique: Get moving, allow the tail to come up, ease the throttle forward, then gentle back pressure on the elevator, for a gentle ease into air.

Flight:
          This is probably my only not-overwhelmingly-positive remark on my Graupner 111. It took me about 5 flights to figure out how she wanted to be flown. The CG was fine, but she really wanted to drag her tail in the turns, almost to the point that I was getting worried that she was about to stall. If I bank-n-yanked her, like a fighter, she did fine. With moderate rudder and aileron, she wanted to drag her tail and increase her bank angle. There is noticeable dihedral in the wings. So, seemingly coordinated turns were causing too much bank. I have since learned that the best bomber-like bank turns, I give her a ton of rudder and cross-control with the ailerons to keep the bank angle reasonable. She doesn't drag her tail in these types of turns.

With this power train, my 111 has power to spare. I usually cruise at about 1/2 throttle. When I pour on the coals, she really books. I have pretty high throws; so, she has plenty of roll and pitch authority. Rolls are easy (not fast, but easy) and loops and Immelmanns are easy, too, when I get tired of flying her like a scale bomber. In fact, when I want to fly her like a fighter, she reminds me quite a bit of how my FlightLine P-38 handles. Not fast rolls. Not crazy tight loops. But, nice solid rolls and loops.

Flight time: On a 4S-5AH battery, flying mixed throttle, I get an easy 5 minutes of flight time and usually land with 3.7 - 3.8 v/cell.

What could be better? Maybe a retractable tail wheel on a plane this size. Servoless, suspension gear (which will come in the BH version that Motion carries). It'd have been nice to have a 3-blade spinner in the correct shape. I just hate seeing two-bladed props on 3 or 4 bladed warbirds.

if you're on the fence about getting this plane, my recommendation is to go for it. It's a beautifully crafted warbird.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60397962_335053230545136_567580163530607820  8_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	194942Click image for larger version  Name:	60398637_1327177457437650_90100576671456296  96_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	194943Click image for larger version  Name:	60237914_342243289745290_272145427275448320  _n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.5 KB ID:	194944Click image for larger version  Name:	60322827_651300095309538_779697500943548416  0_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.0 KB ID:	194945Click image for larger version  Name:	60358351_480123075860638_287294055242321100  8_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	349.7 KB ID:	194946

Here's a video of my second flight, warts and all. As you can see in the video, she was still dragging her tail through some of the turns and I hadn't gotten my throws set where I wanted them.

---
          Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
            Alpha, the only thing that bothers me are the main gear struts. The he-111 had struts more like a Mosquito, Lancaster or DC-3. After market struts are hard to find
            Agreed. The landing gear on the original plane aren't anything like what we're using on RC planes today. Would be a serious mod to get them to look anything like the original.

Comment

Thanks for posting your experience with the He-111, Oxotnik! I really appreciate it! One clarification for readers though is that per the Motion RC product page, the Black Horse He-111 does not include servoless retracts. They're cited in the Required section. What IS included in the box is the landing gear strut itself:

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	He111 condor 001.JPG
Views:	1862
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	195270Click image for larger version

Name:	He111.JPG
Views:	1904
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	195271 Yes they are , all the markings / lines etc are printed on the covering …. nothing stopping u from say going with a winter scheme and spraying white randomly over the plane
                or even doing a full respray and the vinyl covering takes to paint really well.

I ended up putting strips on the wing and tail as I saw a photo of one with it..

Comment

I'm currently building this BH He-111 bought in Eur 2 months ago, (before MotionRC started carrying the BH line). I love unusual subject warbirds and BH does a good job with their ARF's. And now they're available in the USA....Kudos to MotionRC! Hope you will be carrying spares because I also have the BH Fieseler Storch built 3 years ago, also obtained in Eur.

Here are some pictures for those thinking about this model...caution: may persuade you. :)

On my dining room table being built

Name:	IMG_7878.JPG
Views:	1791
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	195722
                  A good view of the interior fuse area, battery compartment to the left, 4S's fit well. Note the wing attachment screws on either side of the rudder servo in middle. Clean layout but we'll see how tight it gets when I add the radio gear, efuel gauge, etc.

Name:	IMG_7873.JPG
Views:	1592
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	195723
                  Wing servo wells are well done with short linkages.

Name:	IMG_7881.JPG
Views:	1593
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	195724

I'm building the electric version with Cobra 3515-14, 950kv motors and CC talon 60 esc's. Glass cowling

Name:	IMG_7875.JPG
Views:	1642
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	195725

These are the stock oleo struts and wheels. 5mm pin for mounting stock bracket. I opted for servoless retracts with metal trunion and 136mm offset oleo struts from HK. Retracts fit with just a bit of adjustment. The servo pocket is for throttle if using nitro/gas. Gas tanks are in the wings.

Name:	IMG_7877.JPG
Views:	1578
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	195726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7879.JPG
Views:	1557
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	195727

Cockpit area comes with the following already completed and includes this pilot figure- not too crazy about him.

Name:	IMG_7884.JPG
Views:	1560
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	195728Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7882.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	195729

The nose of the aircraft...if this doesn't convince you nothing will.

Name:	IMG_7885.JPG
Views:	1611
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	195730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7886.JPG
Views:	1582
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	195731
                  General comments on my build so far:
                  1. Components are laid out well in the box and very safely packed. A plus.
                  2. Instruction manual is fairly concise and if you have some previous ARF building under your belt no issue.
                  3. Supplied parts are easily replaced if you want, nothing exotic. I'm using stock parts except in a few areas where my preferences dictate otherwise.
                  4. Well thought out layout cries for electric version. Looking at the gas/nitro parts it's more involved and not worth my time for the sound benefit.
                  5. Only issue i've encountered thus far is the wing joining. My left wing is tight snuggling up to the fuse and I'm trying to figure out the best solution. Right wing no problem.

A great and unusual model and looking forward to flying it!

Attached Files

Comment

My HE-111 arrived today - one day early! I am very impressed with the plane so far. It appears to be very well built. All the parts are there and I can't wait to start this build.

My thanks to MotionRc, Alpha and Stuart! I hope you guys are already working on my future order of a couple of G4M Bettys!:)

Bob

Comment

I received my spinners today. I am planning to get right on this build starting tomorrow.

Comment

Looking forward to following your progress. This one is on the list just after the Do-335.

Also noticed that the first shipment of the He-111 is Sold Out.

Comment

yep, shoulda bought one last week. . .i procrastinated. . hopefully theyll be in soon

Comment

I bet that the Do-335 would sell out just as quickly as the He-111 did.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                              I bet that the Do-335 would sell out just as quickly as the He-111 did.
                              NO DOUBT ;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

NO DOUBT ;)
                                Luckily, since I’m going to be the first person to hit the buy-your-very-own-Do-335-now button, I’ll be assured of getting one before they sell out. I b smart that way... :)
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

Ordered mine on Saturday evening.....surfing buzzed which is always dangerous....saw 6 left in the count on Motion's page, and next thing I knew , my right index finger had "One Clicked" it on PayPal.....
                                  It arrived Thursday lunchtime. Looks like they'd sold out by Tuesday morning. Good timing!!
                                  The box is in perfect condition....haven't unboxed it yet, but all looks good....packed exactly like the Phoenix A26. Another Vietnamese, built up balsa model.....a very nice one

Comment

ok.....I don't think I can live with this pilot.... a Snoopy dog would almost be better.
                                    Any suggestions for a better Luftwaffe pilot?

Comment

If you find a Luft Snoopy in 1/13 scale let me know. I'm looking for Luft Pilot also. Definitely not crazy about the stock pilot.

Comment

Name:	DA66DF6E-9CB6-4CA5-8311-974EB7EAD55E.png
Views:	2107
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	196670
                                        Originally posted by 3RedPapa View Post
                                        If you find a Luft Snoopy in 1/13 scale let me know. I'm looking for Luft Pilot also. Definitely not crazy about the stock pilot.
                                        Do a search on Thingiverse for ‘Snoopdog Ace Pilot,’ if you have a 3D printer.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

"Best Pilots" makes awesome stuff....1/4 and 1/5 scale though.....he does custom faces, maybe he
                                          will do custom sizes

Comment

Working...
                                          X