Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Westland Lysander 2540mm ARF Discussion Thread

Product page: https://www.motionrc.com/products/bl...der-2540mm-arf

The Westland Lysander was designed by British manufacturer Westland Aircraft as an army co-operation and liaison aircraft. The Lysander was designed by W.E.W. “Teddy” Petter, who would go on to design aircraft such as the EE Canberra, Lightning and Folland Gnat.

The Lysanders extraordinary short take-off and landing performance made it ideal for clandestine operations during WW2 where it undertook missions for the Special Operations Executive placing and collecting agents from occupied France.

Our model is scaled to approximately 1:6 and attention has been given to providing a realistic appearance with outstanding flight characteristics. The model was designed for electric power but can also be flown using an internal combustion engine of about 30-40cc displacement.

Features:
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, and fully sheeted laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Covered in high quality matt finish Oracover film with panel line detailing
    • Aerofoiled tail surfaces.
    • Recessed hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed cockpit, pilot and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly.
    • Fiberglass cowl and landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    • Fully illustrated instruction manual included and available for download (see tab above)
    Includes:
    • Black Horse Westland Lysander 2540mm (100") Wingspan - ARF
    Requires (Electric):Requires (Gas):
    • Engine: 30-35cc 2-stroke (NGH GT35 recommended). 38-42cc 4-stroke (NGH GT38 recommended)
    • Gas Propeller: 18x10-20x8 recommended
    Click image for larger version  Name:	black-horse-westland-lysander-2540mm-100-wingspan-arf-motion-rc-7161734103153_1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	194533
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I can't stop looking at this model. It's like that girl who isn't going to win a beauty pageant any time soon but she has that distinct and unique quality that invites you. This would be a fun one to show up to the club with.
    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The Lysander is big and beautiful. I love its unique wing shape, and its real life service history. I flew Black Horse's Lysander like a P-51 and a Cub, and it flew both profiles wonderfully. Stable, acrobatic, powerful, unmistakable presence in the sky. Here are a couple pictures I took from the factory and during my testing.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Here's a shot of one of the wings. You can see the unique shape and also its relative size for such a large aircraft. From an aerodynamic perspective, Black Horse really nailed the attributes and captured the character of the wing while still allowing it to fly so well in RC scale. It doesn't have a tendency to tip stall despite the tapered tips. In fact I found it to be rock solid in the landing pattern. The flaps are just a bonus.

Comment

I LOVE that wing...It's utterly fantastic. I just know I would love this one and with your flight characteristic comments it really bumps this one towards the top of the Black Horse group for me...
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

At first I thought that was the full wing! Then realized it was just the starboard... LOL

Nice!
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Black Horse doesn't skimp on hardware, either. Here's what the Lysander's included hardware looks like, it's double-side design is robust and virtually slop-free, giving me the confidence to fly it like I stole it. It's nice not having to buy aftermarket hardware.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	195234 Here was My Blackhorse Lysander, had some issues with this one , they included 2 left hand side Tailplanes so had to wait 4 weeks to get a right side sent out
                also this plane never even made it off the ground :(

took it down the field to get some shots and do a few taxi runs
                on the First taxi got it to where the tail raised then it hit a lump of grassed and nosed over, when it went over it broke the canopy , the wheel fairing and worse of all cracked the main spar in the wing (if u could call a piece of 1/8 thick ply by 1/4 wide with 1/8 webbing a spar) with a piece of 1/4 ply triangle just before the LE

Mind u it did look very nice with the Clear matt on it..

was power with the eflite power160 on 10s Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	195230

Comment

Bummer! She's a looker...Did you repair and able to fly yet or still in the holding pattern? Welcome to Hobby Squawk by the way!
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Unable to be repaired so scrapped

Comment

Fairing, canopy and spar and the whole thing is unrepairable?
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

wing was un re-pairable abd would cost to much to get a new set ,the canopy was broken all across the top and fairings are plastic , could of been glassed I supposed - ps the Cowl was in perfect condition:)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          The Lysander is big and beautiful. I love its unique wing shape, and its real life service history. I flew Black Horse's Lysander like a P-51 and a Cub, and it flew both profiles wonderfully. Stable, acrobatic, powerful, unmistakable presence in the sky. Here are a couple pictures I took from the factory and during my testing.
                          Hi there Alpha, I almost bought a Lysander (not a BH model, and smaller one than BH) from a guy down south, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So now I see this one, and it just so happens that I have a NIB DLE 30 sitting around looking for a home. I see the specs call for 30-40cc, so since you have flown one, will a 30 really be enough? I don't need unlimited vertical (ha ha), but I also don't want to wish I had more power. Can you please let me know your honest opinion regarding engine size?

Also, Aros, you might want to edit the first post. It mentions a "matched pair of internal combustion engines" . ;)

And one last question, do the lights on the wingtips work?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Peteflys,
                            I think Black Horse's quoted "30-40cc" is right on target.

I flew theirs at the factory on a 35cc which was more than I'd install on my own Lysander as a daily driver. With the 35cc I was able to fly it like a fighter, which it's not. Of course it's helpful to evaluate the strength of the airframe, but practically speaking most pilots would likely either prop down or leave their throttle at a lower setting most of the time. I was climbing at full throttle, four point rolling at 70%, and knife edging at 60%. Cruising and scale flight was less. Landing was basically dead stick, with gobs on tap for a go-around.

I hope this helps you make a decision whether this is the plane for you or not.

Personally, I'd spray the entire model with dullcote and touch up paint the control horns, but other than that it's a stunner on the flight line. I like that most people don't know what it is.

Comment

Thanks for the info Alpha, I don't think I'll have any problem pulling the trigger on this one!

Comment

Hi guys, any idea when we can expect a build video or an unboxing video. Really want this one and was ready to pull the trigger till I read the post with the one that got destroyed by running over a clump of grass. Seemed to me like an awful lot of damage for just nosing over during taxi test.
                                I think I will hold off till a few more reviews are posted.

Comment

Currently we have the Turbo Beaver on the bench for video and thread build (see the TB thread) and James will be presenting the Fairchild soon and I think if we were to do a Lysander, it would be in a few months time as we're rolling into our busiest time of the year with shows etc and these offical build video's etc eat up a lot of man hours (most likely why you don't see many official ARF build video's from other vendors). But we are committed to bringing you as much as we can, when we can. In the mean time, we have a great community here and I'm sure someone will post their impressions when they get it and as always we encourage you to do so. Its all about the sharing ;)

S.

Comment

Well, I was all ready to push the button when I got my son's phone bill. He is a U.S. Marine, and was in Singapore for a month. The wife signed him up for "international calling" on his cell phone. Can you say OUCH!!!

So it looks like it will be July before I get one. :(

Comment

I've been interested in a large scale Lysander for quite awhile and was delighted to see Motion RC offer one. But for me a plane of this size would definitely be gasoline. I see that the model "was designed for electric power but can also be flown using an internal combustion engine of about 30-40cc displacement" Is the frame substantial enough to handle the vibrations of a IC engine in the 30-40cc range?

Comment

I see the suggested Admiral motor is out of stock. Anybody identified a substitute? Be nice if Leopard made the right size... I admit, I get a little confused with how different companies use different ways of describing large motor sizes. Dad just had his delivered today and he is very impressed with what he sees!

Comment

Working...
                                        X