Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all - Received my Fw 190 recently and wow, what a sweet looking war bird. Flying on a budget, I currently have this gyro bound to a Spektrum DXe (RTF Aero scout version). I am experiencing two issues and could use some help and clarification perhaps: 1. The ailerons by default are reversed for some reason with this Tx which I found a fix for and reversed channel 2 on the Tx. 2. I can't seem to get the stabilizer to work even though I have the j4 and j5 dip switches in the on position. Wondering if this is a compatibility issue with the DXe Tx and the admiral Rx? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

• Ok I am learning also. Turn you pots on the receiver all the way clockwise and see if the surfaces move. I am told there is very little movement when set properly. If they work then turn the pots to 25%. That is what I was told to do.At least if you turn the pots all the way up you will see if the radio is talking to the receiver. After that fly her and see if she osculates if not turn the pots up a little and fly again. Fly adjust repeat until you get oscillation. When you do turn the pot down just a bit.
      I have not flown the Dora as of yet. Still setting it up but this is the info I am getting.

Comment

• Admiral stability plus bound to new DX6. Same issue. Had to reverse aileron servo. Gyro still not working. Have a solid red and green light on at the same time. Something is not right. May have to e-mail MotionRC and get help.

Comment

• Ok I don't know what you have done but.......... Have you tried to change the combos from A,B or C? Did you down load the one line instruction sheet?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...al_RX600SP.pdf

If red and green are on together the gyro is off and the recovery is on. That means if you shake the plane nothing will happen. Turn the pots all the way to the right and go into mode A. Make sure your DX looks exactly like the photo in the instructions. Also make sure the gyro is correcting properly to bring the plane back to level. By turning the pots up you get the most deflection and it will be easier to tell if it is working. Do you have a bind button on your DX? Im sure you do but just asking. In the combo your in (A) you should be able to roll the plane push the bind button and the ailerons should try to correct. The gyro is still off but the recovery should work using the bind button.

Also if you have the RX plugged in and change something on the DX it will not do the correction in the RX until you unplug the RX and re connect to power.

Again you may have done all these things Idono.

Comment

• Has anyone tried programming flaperons into the Dora? Just wondering if it would help on launching and bleeding some speed on landings.

Comment

• What did you folks use to glue on the plastic landing protection?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bighi View Post
                What did you folks use to glue on the plastic landing protection?
                Hey Bighi . Just used your standard foam tac. I forget if the Dora has included glue if so use that

Comment

• Ha funny you should ask. You got lucky you got a skid plate I did not. I wrote twice about it but I never got a response. Kinda disappointed. The plane looks great though.

Comment

• Hello, I got around to flying my Dora this weekend. Two flights, two broken props.Well, I wouldn't call the first one a flight, it was a pathetic underhand toss to a stall and drop but in hindsight I am glad I didn't get it into the air. The flying zone I chose would have been a face full of tree branches for the Dora considering how much ground it covers and how quick. A parkflyer she is not. At least not for the first flight. It's true as everyone says, the prop that it came with is brittle. Handlaunches aren't that bad at all, over 60% throttle with slight up ele and slight right, and get your thumb to the throttle quick and juice it. My second flight consisted of handlaunch to wild wing wagging, barely landing it, turning down the gyro gains a little, handlaunch again, flying and trimming. And amazement at how well she flew. Rolls to loops to a immelman. To low level flying at around 50% throttle or less. I landed, checked the battery, 40% so I launched it again. Once you feel confident that it is an airplane, the handlaunch is not a big deal. Not mad throttle but not 50% either, get it in the air and give it throttle and be prepared to lightly bank to the right to compensate.

However, at the end of my second flight i did break an APC prop as well. I am wondering if anyone does fly with the esc brake on? I like belly skid planes because of the simplicity and not having to fix landing gear all of the time. I live in Wyoming and don't have access to a flying field close by, so I have to land on dirt or grass. The tall grass is what broke my APC prop, why I didn't go for the sandy dirt 3' to the right of the tall grass i don't know, first date jitters most likely. The Dora glides really well. Twice I set up for landing at my feet but it flares forever. I love this plane. It looks and flies amazingly well.

The low rates that they recommend are probably what I will program as my high rates and reduce those a little for my true low rates. I have expo mixed in but the high rates were excessive, maybe just me. The low rates were plenty fast enough, it rolls like a windmill. Again I love this plane. It's everything I hoped it would be. Once trimmed and the CG correct, it was on rails. It felt really good flying at eye level, not that scary. A rudder would help but other than low flight and knife edge, it doesn't fly like it's lacking anything.

A quick note, you do have to program the esc to get it to work out of the box. Maybe not everyone, but I did. And I had to reverse my ailerons in my dx6e transmitter, and reverse the elevator on the admiral gyro. But if you watch all of the great videos, for the plane and the esc and the gyro, as you're setting it up, it will save on some time. The only thing I wish motionrc would show is the cg. I was very doubtful that I had the correct cg. Why make me guess? Doo I invert it, or do they mean inverted? For a.$120 plane, that already looks amazing and scale, just mold the damn cg in. Make the marks look like the fuel cover o r something. A panel line is really close to the cg but it will still leave you second guessing. The plane flies amazingly well once balanced, take that first date uncertainty out of the equation and let us focus on keeping our hands steady for the proud first launch. Just my two cents.

Again, anyone flying with the prop brake on? Or other recommendations? I don't want to be buying props by the dozen. I love this plane and want the relationship to last!

Comment

• SanExup

Glad you got er figured out. What battery are you using? I have an admiral 3s 2200. If you used this battery can you give me the cg or take a pict of the battery in the plane. Kinda nervous about this one. Never flew anything like it before. I would like to get the first toss without smacking the plane up. LOL My Dora is still on the build stand. Just haven't gotten her out yet. I thought they said to take the motor brake off. The theory being it will be able to move as it touched the ground to prevent prop breakage. Idono again no exp yet.
                      Hey spent some time around Jackson. Mostly in Victor. Only in the summer months. My daughter and son in law ski there on both sides of the mountain. Anyway beautiful country in Idaho and Wyoming.

Comment

• while I don't have this one I flew 704 scale combat for years. you should have the break off so that the prop is free to move out of the way.

Joe
                        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                          Hello, I got around to flying my Dora this weekend. Two flights, two broken props.Well, I wouldn't call the first one a flight, it was a pathetic underhand toss to a stall and drop but in hindsight I am glad I didn't get it into the air. The flying zone I chose would have been a face full of tree branches for the Dora considering how much ground it covers and how quick. A parkflyer she is not. At least not for the first flight. It's true as everyone says, the prop that it came with is brittle. Handlaunches aren't that bad at all, over 60% throttle with slight up ele and slight right, and get your thumb to the throttle quick and juice it. My second flight consisted of handlaunch to wild wing wagging, barely landing it, turning down the gyro gains a little, handlaunch again, flying and trimming. And amazement at how well she flew. Rolls to loops to a immelman. To low level flying at around 50% throttle or less. I landed, checked the battery, 40% so I launched it again. Once you feel confident that it is an airplane, the handlaunch is not a big deal. Not mad throttle but not 50% either, get it in the air and give it throttle and be prepared to lightly bank to the right to compensate.

However, at the end of my second flight i did break an APC prop as well. I am wondering if anyone does fly with the esc brake on? I like belly skid planes because of the simplicity and not having to fix landing gear all of the time. I live in Wyoming and don't have access to a flying field close by, so I have to land on dirt or grass. The tall grass is what broke my APC prop, why I didn't go for the sandy dirt 3' to the right of the tall grass i don't know, first date jitters most likely. The Dora glides really well. Twice I set up for landing at my feet but it flares forever. I love this plane. It looks and flies amazingly well.

The low rates that they recommend are probably what I will program as my high rates and reduce those a little for my true low rates. I have expo mixed in but the high rates were excessive, maybe just me. The low rates were plenty fast enough, it rolls like a windmill. Again I love this plane. It's everything I hoped it would be. Once trimmed and the CG correct, it was on rails. It felt really good flying at eye level, not that scary. A rudder would help but other than low flight and knife edge, it doesn't fly like it's lacking anything.

A quick note, you do have to program the esc to get it to work out of the box. Maybe not everyone, but I did. And I had to reverse my ailerons in my dx6e transmitter, and reverse the elevator on the admiral gyro. But if you watch all of the great videos, for the plane and the esc and the gyro, as you're setting it up, it will save on some time. The only thing I wish motionrc would show is the cg. I was very doubtful that I had the correct cg. Why make me guess? Doo I invert it, or do they mean inverted? For a.$120 plane, that already looks amazing and scale, just mold the damn cg in. Make the marks look like the fuel cover o r something. A panel line is really close to the cg but it will still leave you second guessing. The plane flies amazingly well once balanced, take that first date uncertainty out of the equation and let us focus on keeping our hands steady for the proud first launch. Just my two cents.

Again, anyone flying with the prop brake on? Or other recommendations? I don't want to be buying props by the dozen. I love this plane and want the relationship to last!
                          I fly it with the brake off. Just make sure you get her nice and slow when you are landing. The Dora can slow to a snails pace

Comment

• Originally posted by thumbs View Post
                            SanExup

Glad you got er figured out. What battery are you using? I have an admiral 3s 2200. If you used this battery can you give me the cg or take a pict of the battery in the plane. Kinda nervous about this one. Never flew anything like it before. I would like to get the first toss without smacking the plane up. LOL My Dora is still on the build stand. Just haven't gotten her out yet. I thought they said to take the motor brake off. The theory being it will be able to move as it touched the ground to prevent prop breakage. Idono again no exp yet.
                            Hey spent some time around Jackson. Mostly in Victor. Only in the summer months. My daughter and son in law ski there on both sides of the mountain. Anyway beautiful country in Idaho and Wyoming.
                            Thumbs, I flew the Dora again today, both 3s 2200 and the 4s 2500. After my flights i am thinking I will probably get another 3s pack. I already have a few 4s. The 4s is powerful and fast but so is the 3s, sort of. An indication of the difference is the 4s is fast in vertical flight where the 3s maybe falls off, either way both are fun. I just see myself doing warm up flights on the 3s to shake the butterflies. I will try to post a photo of where I have the pack. I'm terms of CG, I think I have it where it should be, maybe a touch forward. But I check it, inverted, on the perpendicular panel line just aft of the black exhaust paint. Check my photo. I was wrong with my forward pen mark but you can see the second mark lines up with the battery. I've done 4 flights with it there. I think this is correct, maybe a touch nose heavy. I am not totally trimmed out on my elevator yet, it's been windy for both days of flying so I am close to thumbs off but not quite. I still hold a little back pressure. I don't always have the balls to trim in flight when it's a little gusty. And I probably need to put the fun aside for one battery pack and just focus on getting a good trim at cruising speed. Maybe someone else will chime in on where they have their CG.

Hand launching is not that bad. I go 60% to 70% throttle and hold a touch of up and a touch of right. And like I said earlier, I'm getting on the throttle quick while leveling the nose and correcting a little to the right with the torque. It does practically fly out of your hand. I have to remind myself, it's meant to fly and more muscle will only go another foot before the stall of you don't have power. I underhand with my left hand.

I love this plane. I probably will get another one down the road and add a rudder. But I will likely get the P51 or the 1100 Fw 190, and have rudder, flaps, and gear. I'm not sure yet. I like the simplicity of not having things that can get torn off with rough ground. I didn't get the plastic belly protection in mind either and the dirt is tearing up the yellow area at the nose. I threw some clear packing tape on it tonight, we'll see how that works. I left the brake off and didn't break a prop today. I'm pretty sure if you bring a spare with you to fly you won't break one. If you don't, you're sure to break it getting out of the truck.

My wife and I live in Jackson currently, she teaches skiing here in the winter. And I try my best to skip work for snowboarding and sledding as much as I can. Though I have been building us a house in Victor with the intent on moving. Jackson was quiet 20 years ago. I can't really complain, but then again... the traffic is insane in the summer. Two arteries to the heart of town and they are always clogged. And I have obviously started getting back into flying again and the land is flatter and more open in Idaho. I ride a couple of motos too, which Idaho has more to offer there as well.

Get your Dora flying! You won't be disappointed. I did paint my wingtips yellow thinking it would help to see it. They look cool streaking by but do nothing to help with orientation. I like the small size, it'll live in my truck all summer but it is hard to keep it straight in air visually sometimes. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you. I used to fly a lot but hadn't in years, so some things are a little new to me but I have a couple of planes and feel like I'm understanding more as the days go by. Thanks Coronavirus! Nothing like a quarantine to justify messing with rc planes!

​​​

Comment

• Hi SanExup

Thanks for the info. If you would, when you get er dialed in post another pict of the CG with the 2200.

Yeah still haven't flown er yet. I was hoping Motion would get back to me about the skid plate. I wrote twice. I know its probably not a big deal but not answering my emails kinda made me a bit skittish about their customer service. Even if they said they wouldn't send me one at least they would have acknowledge my inquiries. I was gonna ask them to put one in the Lippisch p15 I was goin to buy but since I didn't hear a word from them I went another route. Oh well guess I'll put some packing tape on er.

I haven't been able to fly much since the beginning of the winter so I want to get some stick time before I even try the Dora.

Sending PM

Comment

• This is my new fpv bird wow is it a blast

Comment

• jefd36 What are you using for FPV setup? What camera? Goggles or screen?

Comment

• My Fw 190, not true markings for the Dora but I had to.

Comment

• Hi im just useing a 600mw fpv cam with fatshark goggles

Comment

• Today I brought my new Dora 850mm out for its maiden! It was a failure.

I put on a 2200mAh 3S battery. And the throttle is the max 100%. I threw it out over head. Nose upward. It quickly turned to right and crashed into grass. Main wings was loose. Propeller was broken. Right aileron was partly tore apart. Seems motor or esc was damaged, when giving it throttle, it only clicked and turned a little bit. The whole thing happened very fast, less then half second.

I tried to come up a reason why it turned right! Imbalance of the aileron? No enough up elevator?

I have badly crashed another 850mm Mustang last month. This class of small model is really making me nervous! I know a lot of people succeeded with flying it...

Comment

• long-love-rc I'm sorry man! I hate to say it but it was the 100% throttle part and the overhead throw. It likes to be underhand tossed with a slightly upward angle. And probably more importantly is to have the throttle above 50% and below 80% roughly. The motor causes torque rolling at 100% and the prop is just stalling, not biting the air, at that high rev without the plane moving forward yet. And since the prop is providing propulsion and the motor is causing torque roll, without airspeed the plane most likely just stalled. Again, I'm sorry that happened, if it' lessens the sting, most of us have experienced it at some point or another. If you can fix it with glue, which you probably can. Next go at it, have someone else launch it for you. And watch the MotionrRc videos and watch how they launch it. When I launch mine I am inputting a little right aileron and a little up elevator while at 60% throttle. I hold it behind the wings in my left hand and give it an underhand toss. It flies away nicely. Honestly it was probably the 100% throttle that bit you. Don't give up! You will get it!

Also, my terminology and concept of it might be incorrect, maybe someone else will chime in. I think I'm correct in my wording of what the problem might have been. I know I'm correct in how to launch it successfully though. Again, watch the videos of James launching his Dora. That's how I do it as well.

Edit: I just saw you said it turned right. I can only thi k maybe it was just a bad tip stall...

Comment

Working...
                                          X