Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @newbie I know Sanex explained the P factor, but your plane is normal. They make the motor tilted that way. No need to contact the vendor.
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Thanks a lot for your explanations and advice!!
      I'll do my best not to crash it with the first take off :)

I appreciate your support!

Comment

• Originally posted by FlightRC_Newbie View Post
        Thanks a lot for your explanations and advice!!
        I'll do my best not to crash it with the first take off :)

I appreciate your support!
        Absolutely! It's not the best first plane, maybe not the best first warbird, without landing gear it leaves the airframe bare to take the abuses of landings. But it flies great. I have two and my first one looks battle worn but still flies well. I know I was discouraged a little after the first few bad launches but once I figured out a few things I now thoroughly enjoy flying it. There is some worthy information in this thread. If you have questions, ask away!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
          All of ours look the same for the same reason. The direction the prop is turning. (Google: p factor)

Torque is the reason you will want to only throttle up 60 to 70% when you hand launch it. It'll want to torque roll left. And so you'll want to hold a little right aileron ( and a little up elevator) as you launch, to compensate. It's worth watching the flight review of this plane and watch how he launches it. You can launch it overhand but some people find it easier to launch with the throttle hand and simultaneously control the plane with the right hand on the transmitter. Good luck. Set low and mid rates, the high rates are too much.
          Yet another beginners question: How do I set the rates? I found the video that talks about programming the ESC and I successfully calibrated the motor.
          However, I couldn't see anything regarding rates. I use a very simple Futaba T6L Sport transmitter and I think I can't set the any rates on that transmitter.

Any hints are appreciated.

Comment

• FlightRC_Newbie Unfortunately I don't own Futaba, so I don't know how to set rates. There are a lot of people here that do, so hopefully someone will chime in. You could do a search, Futaba setting rates and see what that yields. Maybe even on youtube. Rates and exponential are what you want to program. In simple terms, Exponential will dull the stick around the center. It's a good thing, if you don't use exponential it's like doing physiotherapy in a grasshopper's leg.😁 He's not going to like big movements.

Also, in case you aren't aware you want to Center if Gravity balance this plane upside down, being a low wing plane. A slight nose heavy is better than slight tail heavy with the FW.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlightRC_Newbie View Post

Yet another beginners question: How do I set the rates? I found the video that talks about programming the ESC and I successfully calibrated the motor.
              However, I couldn't see anything regarding rates. I use a very simple Futaba T6L Sport transmitter and I think I can't set the any rates on that transmitter.

Any hints are appreciated.
              The Futaba T6L is an analog radio, not a computer radio, so unfortunately it doesn't have expo/rates.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Here is one way of making a rudder mod for the FW190D by using one of the other rod-holes.
                I used a 0.8mm stainless steel rod within a carbon fiber tube to make it stiff enough. Only had to glue it beside the elevator rod. The shrink tubing outside also gives some additional stiffness.
                There is enough space for both servos to work their full range. Elevator travel is also not affected.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	79705BC9-E54D-4273-9D64-F4E8BFF8E946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	333028Click image for larger version  Name:	3322104D-6031-4A98-9615-327365306E9A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	333029Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	333030

Comment

• Need help with a problem on my Dora. I've set it up with a Spektrum AR630 with Safe and AS3X. All servos are working as they should and Throttle Cut is too. Plane binds up as it should and all control surfaces, dual Rates, and throttle work perfectly. Problems is when I power off NX6 the motor comes on and runs about 5% or so. Throttle Cut position is set at -130% and Throttle Trim is run down to 0. Any ideas?

Comment

• First and foremost unplug the battery in the plane before turning off the radio! You're lucky the motor is only powering up 5% I've seen some rip to full throttle. Unplug then power down. Stay safe.

Comment

• Do as Rifleman says. Always unplug plane first, tx second.

It doesn't matter what your TX is set to regarding throttle cut etc because when it is off, it is no longer communicating with the receiver. The ESC and RX are thus free from any constraints imposed by the TX and will operate with whatever is default.

I would also recommend calibrating the esc. James has some videos demonstrating this.

Comment

• I did recalibrate the ESC and will do again, but something is setup wrong somewhere for it to start up when the transmitter shuts down. Thanks for the help about powering down the plane first, and I understand that would be best practice, but that's kinda like telling someone pulling the trigger with a gun pointed at your head to not pull he trigger! The problem is still there!

Comment

• The problem is that the no mater where you have the throttle when the radio is on, when it's turned off it will still see 5% as current input. It's a default the reciever goes to when there isn't a radio signal from the turned off transmitter. The only way to bypass is to unplug the battery first.

Comment

• Originally posted by larryterry6@msn.com View Post
                            I did recalibrate the ESC and will do again, but something is setup wrong somewhere for it to start up when the transmitter shuts down. Thanks for the help about powering down the plane first, and I understand that would be best practice, but that's kinda like telling someone pulling the trigger with a gun pointed at your head to not pull he trigger! The problem is still there!
                            That's not a good analogy. The proper sequence in RC (not counting binding) is:
                            1. Turn ON TX.
                            2. Power ON plane (RX).
                            When finished operating:
                            1. Disconnect power from RX.
                            2. Turn OFF TX.
                            By not doing this, you are creating the problem. If done properly, there is NO problem.

PS. The AR630 is a "smart" RX with "failsafe". However, it's only as smart as the user will allow it to be. When there is no TX signal, it defaults to whatever is set in the failsafe parameters. It is very easy to change these parameters and not know it. If you haven't looked at the failsafe items, then you don't know what the throttle is set at when there is no signal from the TX. But like I said, if you follow the standardized sequence for operating an RC TX and RX, there is no problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by larryterry6@msn.com View Post
                              Need help with a problem on my Dora. I've set it up with a Spektrum AR630 with Safe and AS3X. All servos are working as they should and Throttle Cut is too. Plane binds up as it should and all control surfaces, dual Rates, and throttle work perfectly. Problems is when I power off NX6 the motor comes on and runs about 5% or so. Throttle Cut position is set at -130% and Throttle Trim is run down to 0. Any ideas?
                              The problem is the -130% Throttle Cut which changes your ESC calibration.
                              Do the following steps:

1. Set Throttle Cut in your TX to -100% only! (not -130% - and Throttle trim should be neutral).
                              2. Now Recalibrate your ESC (be sure to have Throttle Cut Off to be able to do the calibration).
                              At this point your problem should be solved already.
                              3. Always follow sequence of "xviper" when turning on/off components to stay safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpt.coco View Post

Do the following steps:

1. Set Throttle Cut in your TX to -100% only! (not -130% - and Throttle trim should be neutral).
                                2. Now Recalibrate your ESC (be sure to have Throttle Cut Off to be able to do the calibration).
                                3. Always follow sequence of "xviper" when turning on/off components to stay safe.
                                No. Xviper has the correct response.

Comment

Do the following steps:

In more Detail:
                                  Every time you power up your system with a throttle value below -100%, the Dora ESC will set a new threshold value for "Zero Throttle" to less than -100%.
                                  Setting Throttle Cut to off -then- will therefore lead to a power increase (in your case about +5%. Therefore I think the lowest possible power-threshold for the Dora ESC is around -105%)
                                  This will happen every time when you power up your ESC with throttle cut set below -100%.

Comment

In more Detail:
                                    Every time you power up your system with a throttle value below -100%, the Dora ESC will set a new threshold value for "Zero Throttle" to less than -100%.
                                    Setting Throttle Cut to off -then- will therefore lead to a power increase (in your case about +5%. Therefore I think the lowest possible power-threshold for the Dora ESC is around -105%)
                                    This will happen every time when you power up your ESC with throttle cut set below -100%.
                                    Based on what you said earlier:
                                    Problems is when I power off NX6 the motor comes on and runs about 5% or so. Throttle Cut position is set at -130% and Throttle Trim is run down to 0. Any ideas?
                                    You are still not getting the concept. Shutting off your TX while the RX is powered up is NOT a good test of anything except failsafe. Failsafe settings, in this particular topic, does NOT always turn throttle to off unless you tell it to by going into the RX and making it do it. In general, throttle during failsafe is supposed to be "minimal" NOT totally OFF unless you tell it that's what you want and messing with throttle cut to do it is not the way. Failsafe will also do pre-set things to the control surfaces, too. Either your RX hasn't got this as a default settings or you just haven't noticed it yet. That's the way it's supposed to be. When you plane is in the air and you loss radio signal, for most failsafe settings, it's supposed to have some (minimal) throttle and control surface go to a particular angle so that the plane does a gentle spiral into the ground. Otherwise, some planes can and will simply point it's nose to the ground and do a "lawn dart", where it could do much more damage.
                                    You CANNOT shut your TX down and leave the RX with no radio signal. You have a "smart" RX that has built-in failsafe. Without a radio signal, it goes to failsafe (as does ANY receiver with failsafe - different failsafe RXs have different pre-set or NO pre-set parameters out of the box). It has very little to do with what your throttle cut is set to. There is nothing wrong with setting your throttle cut to -130 except in cases where things like SAFE requires a higher cut off and those are generally in BNF Horizon Hobby planes with SAFE select. Even then once SAFE has been established (binding procedure, switch assigned), you can do throttle cut to where you like, then re-do the throttle calibration. Just don't shut off the TX and leave the RX powered up and expect nothing weird to happen, especially in a failsafe RX.

Comment

• Oh, yes, sorry xviper. I over-read the "off" in his sentence.

If the motor does not run at 5% with NX6 on and throttle cut off, forget about what I said.

Comment

• I'm late to this party, but just ordered a Dora to replace a very battle worn Parkzone F4F Wildcat.We do a lot of foamie warbird rallies where we get as many small foam warbirds in the air as possible at various warbird and electric fly ins and rat race around the pattern. Our area record is 26 warbirds up and in the pattern at once. Great fun and this will do that mission nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                        X