X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

They showed up today, really wish the nose gear had shocks. They look very nice, can't wait to install them this weekend.
    My nose gear has shock...just no scissor like mains.
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• You're right, I just checked mine.

Comment

• I know the complete and comprehensive assembly and build guide on youtube states not to use thread lock on the prop screws, but has anyone thought about this? Is there a remote possibility that any of the screws might work loose under torque? I'm considering using medium (blue) thread lock. I'm told it allows for removal if necessary and is great for metal to plastic applications.
        Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• BadBob....Yes, it's possible. But from my experience with this plane(100+ flights) I've never had one prop screw come loose. Could happen. I check the prop screws every 10 flights or so(visual). Now the screw that holds the spinner nose cone on. I check after every flight. A little loctite on the end of that screw really helps.
          Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• What I use for screws that meet a plastic piece (like the spinner at the very tip) have potential to work loose from vibration, etc, I use a dab of foam tac glue. I do that with wing screws and servo pocket screws as well. Works like a charm, is removable if necessary, and doesn't weaken the plastic like loctite or CA would do.

Comment

• Thanks guys. I like the foam tac idea. I've also read that finger nail polish is also better than LT.
              Bob Duncan

Comment

• Are foam cure and foam tac the same?
                Bob Duncan

Comment

• No, be sure and get the Foam-Tac...

TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Foam-Tac is the way to go. I've seen right here on the forum, posts of people using locktite and melting the foam, not pretty. I have a tube of locktite that doesn't even come into the basement where my planes are.
                    Things to consider also are the c clamps that hold wheels onto struts, after losing a wheel off BBD, all my FMS birds have Foam-Tac holding the c clamps in position.
                    I had had a prop blade screw back off, so that has become part of my preflight. What I've found is that if it's a new plane. Take it out for a minute of taxiing. Let everything that's going to work loose, work loose on the ground. When I had a loose prop blade, it was a brand new plane. Took the spinner off and retightened every screw on every blade and tried it a gain, never came loose a second time. I would think that since its held on with two screws the odds of both backing off are pretty remote anyway.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• That's always a good idea Dan. I've seen people take an electric plane and get ready to take off and say boy it didn't sound like that last time I flew it. And just put it up without checking a thing. People can hear unbalanced or loose props. Alot just take it as normal wear and tear until the prop comes off or the plane shakes to pieces. I lost one blade on the Airfield 1450 Corsair one day and think god I was over the runway. I was able to make a tight turn and just stall it in one of our tall grass burms. I thought the plane was going to shake apart before I could even chop the throttle. The Airfield comes with a 580kv motor. When it happen one of the guys saw the prop leave the plane and stick in the ground in the runway. The 2 screws holding it to the hub were still there with 1 1/2 of the prop. I must have had a microcrack or something. It sounded fine on takeoff though. But your 100% right. Don't just depend on stuff to hold things for you check them regularly.
                      Dewey l

Comment

• +1 on foam tac, the contact cement that comes with it works well too
                        rc flyin addict

Comment

• Well this is frustrating!! Finally got one of the spinners and back plates to balance after about an hour but shouldn't have taken so much tape. I must be going about this bass akwards....Hmmmmm! What a mess!! Must be missing something in the "spinner/backplate balancing 101" translation! Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_222631.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	1,008.1 KB
ID:	47714
                          Bob Duncan

Comment

• Hmm. Now it's time to put the prop in it and see where the balance is. How did it come out.
                            Dewey l

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post
                              Well this is frustrating!! Finally got one of the spinners and back plates to balance after about an hour but shouldn't have taken so much tape. I must be going about this bass akwards....Hmmmmm! What a mess!! Must be missing something in the "spinner/backplate balancing 101" translation! [ATTACH=CONFIG]n47714[/ATTACH]
                              Yikes! Lots of tape there....If it makes you feel any better, I had one that way too. Thank goodness most all others not much. I also try to put the pieces of tape as close as possible to the outside.
                              Lon

Comment

• Time for agonizing reappraisal. I think I'll start over, but see how the props do 1st. Just to much tape. NO sir! Don't like it!
                                BTB, Got my new scissor shock struts from Castle today. No assembly instructions, so g Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_194810.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	973.8 KB
ID:	47773 ot to assemble them myself, but OK. Hope that goes better than my spinner balance fiasco.
                                Bob Duncan

Comment

• Hmmmmm......Looks like I'm going to have to have a close look see at the stock L/G and see where all this comes into play with the springs and such. I do love a challenge!
                                  Bob Duncan

Comment

• I had one really off balance and found they had put 1 incorrect blade of the bag of 3, be sure to check all are the correctly pitched blades.
                                    rc flyin addict

Comment

Hmmmmm......Looks like I'm going to have to have a close look see at the stock L/G and see where all this comes into play with the springs and such. I do love a challenge!
                                      All i could figure out, was that it was a extra set of springs!?? I'm going to, but have not yet, taken out the factory installed springs , and see if they're the same. Or maybe a stronger/weaker set.
                                      Lon

Comment

• OK, I removed the tape from both the spinners and reapplied small pieces to the inside of each spinner just to get in the neighborhood. Then applied small pieces to the backplate and it seems that I now have a happy Karma on both spinners and backplates! ;) Now I attach the props and hope that by balancing them, they don't throw off the spinner/backplate balance. Shouldn't though as it it should put an overall balance "all around." Wish me luck.
                                        Bob Duncan

Comment

OK, I removed the tape from both the spinners and reapplied small pieces to the inside of each spinner just to get in the neighborhood. Then applied small pieces to the backplate and it seems that I now have a happy Karma on both spinners and backplates! ;) Now I attach the props and hope that by balancing them, they don't throw off the spinner/backplate balance. Shouldn't though as it it should put an overall balance "all around." Wish me luck.
                                          Bob,
                                          I balanced mine on a Dubro balancer with the prop blades attached to the back-plate. One small mod that I did do was coat the rear of the back-plate with epoxy after the blades were attached (strength). I then used small coils of solder ca'd to the inside edge of the back plate to get the assembly balanced. I didn't bother with the spinner btw. Props sound great with no vibration.
                                          The home hangar seems to breed!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X