Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes. I haven't built mine yet (I'll be building it on a stream tomorrow, check above) and I'm really worried about having it crash on me due to a stall. I intend to keep a good speed when flying it, maybe try to learn what it's tendencies are when it's way up in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Absolarix View Post
      Yikes. I haven't built mine yet (I'll be building it on a stream tomorrow, check above) and I'm really worried about having it crash on me due to a stall. I intend to keep a good speed when flying it, maybe try to learn what it's tendencies are when it's way up in the air.
      I have a lot of flights on mine and it hasn't exhibited any bad behavior. It flies really predictably. It does like coordinated turns, but only needs a little bit of rudder.

The only negative thing I've ever noticed is a tendency to tuck at high speeds in a power on dive. Particularly in a steep dive. It appears to be related to flex in the booms. So..... I don't do power on dives.

I would not sweat it, the plane is an honest flyer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Door Guns View Post

I have a lot of flights on mine and it hasn't exhibited any bad behavior. It flies really predictably. It does like coordinated turns, but only needs a little bit of rudder.

The only negative thing I've ever noticed is a tendency to tuck at high speeds in a power on dive. Particularly in a steep dive. It appears to be related to flex in the booms. So..... I don't do power on dives.

I would not sweat it, the plane is an honest flyer.
        I agree. its a very nice flying plane, not difficult at all and I can't think of any bad habits. Its easy to land. For me, the unusual thing was getting used to the way it looks in the air (the P38 looks very strange compared to conventional planes) and that can be a little hard to get used to - so much of what we do is based on what we're seeing.
        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• I just tried to start the stream, but it ain't working. Sorry!

Comment

• This is if you have the "FlightlineRC P-38 Complete Shock Absorbing Strut and Tire Set"
            https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...re-set-upgrade

It's been about 4 years running the above upgrade struts with non stock Robart wheels on the FLRC P-38 operating off a variety of runways some being a little rough with lots of landings.
            I noticed the other day that the wheels had a very noticeable toe out going on and my first thought was I'd bent my gear with too many less than perfect landings. After putting it in the maintenance hangar I started going over the retract, strut, wheel axle, etc..it took a minute to figure out where the excessive play was coming from that allowed the wheels to pivot and toe in and out so much.
            What I found was the two little screws on each side of the strut had worked themselves out quit a bit allowing the inner strut to pivot excessively in the main outer strut.
            Thankfully it was an easy adjustment to tighten all four of the screws as both screws on both struts had become very loose.
            So, if you're running with the upgrade struts you may want to periodically check the little screws and make sure there isn't too much play.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	StrutMTX.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	257542

Comment

• I have the very same setup you do, and will certainly be keeping an eye out for that! Thank you!

Comment

• Beeg good addition to the preflight and depot maintenace checklists.

Comment

• I need to re wire mine. The mess of wires from the wings to the nacelles has become damaged just trying to get them in the space allotted.

Love the plane though.

Comment

• I weathered my P38. Its a little heavy and I think I will go back and male it a little more subdued.

Comment

• Would be safe to fly this this missing an outer wing screw, running one of the wing with just one (with threadlock)? I'm missing one and I didn't realize until my warranty period was up. :(

Comment

Would be safe to fly this this missing an outer wing screw, running one of the wing with just one (with threadlock)? I'm missing one and I didn't realize until my warranty period was up. :(
                        I'm sure it will be fine.

Mike
                        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Don’t, get another screw. Where do you live?

Comment

• I live in Canada, so if I bought a screw set from Motion, it'd be $30 by the time I got them. >.>

Comment

I live in Canada, so if I bought a screw set from Motion, it'd be $30 by the time I got them. >.>
                              We have Ace or TruValue hardware stores here that will sell you individual screws in both metric and imperial sizes. Depending on how remote you are, I'm sure your local hardware store can help

Comment

I live in Canada, so if I bought a screw set from Motion, it'd be $30 by the time I got them. >.>
                                There 3mm x 8mm and should not be that hard to find.

Mike
                                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Get a screw, don't use being in Canada as an excuse when you crash.

The reason I asked where you live is you may have a forum member close that will give you a screw. Or mail you one.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	42135C3F-75E8-467F-84F6-642FEF4BB0A0.jpeg
Views:	645
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	259621Thank you Callie!!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                                      This is if you have the "FlightlineRC P-38 Complete Shock Absorbing Strut and Tire Set"
                                      https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...re-set-upgrade

It's been about 4 years running the above upgrade struts with non stock Robart wheels on the FLRC P-38 operating off a variety of runways some being a little rough with lots of landings.
                                      I noticed the other day that the wheels had a very noticeable toe out going on and my first thought was I'd bent my gear with too many less than perfect landings. After putting it in the maintenance hangar I started going over the retract, strut, wheel axle, etc..it took a minute to figure out where the excessive play was coming from that allowed the wheels to pivot and toe in and out so much.
                                      What I found was the two little screws on each side of the strut had worked themselves out quit a bit allowing the inner strut to pivot excessively in the main outer strut.
                                      Thankfully it was an easy adjustment to tighten all four of the screws as both screws on both struts had become very loose.
                                      So, if you're running with the upgrade struts you may want to periodically check the little screws and make sure there isn't too much play.
                                      Click image for larger version Name:	StrutMTX.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	257542
                                      I have also many, many hours on mine. Other things to periodically check are: The hard plastic motor mounts will eventually begin to have some play. I made some simple braces out of 1/2 inch diameter, thin metal washers bent 90 degrees in the middle. Used 3 per engine (top and sides) and epoxied the bent washers in place. This fixed the wiggling motor mount problem. Also, every 3 months or so I remove the prop base plates and inspect for tiny cracks where the prop blades attach. Any time the bird begins to make any noise in flight, inspect the base plates for cracks. Finally, a word to the wise....add extra hot glue to secure the elevator control horn. Mine came loose, but I got the bird down by using flaps for pitch control. It was a life saver in this situation that the bird pitches up when flaps are lowered.
                                      -GG

Comment

• On the bench and setting up! Been waiting for this one for a long time. Now ready to fly her when rates and final checks are done! Nothing unusual in her appearance yet but a coworkers uncle was killed in one on a TestFlight in England. Going to attempt research into his squadron and replicate it after shakedown. This forum has been invaluable. Thanks!

Comment

• I successfully maidened my Flightline Bronco today and was so happy that I decided that it was time to take out my pride and joy. The Flightline P-38L. It was a perfect flight and I got the 1 minute warning on my TX. So I dropped the gear and was coming in for a landing. As I approacked the end of the strip she dropped out of the sky like she was shot! I have no idea what that was about. I've been flyign this baby for the last couple months without a problem. In fact it was a joy to fly.

Anyway, the damage is done. The Middle Fuselage is destroyed. So I need to order a replacement. I could also use a Cockpit and a Middle Wing

The Middle Wing is somewhat beat. But the canopy retainer is cracked off and I couldn't find it where it crashed. While it is possibly repairable I'm not sure I want to add another project to the heap I already have.

The canopy is crumpled up from a tad. But again, maybe repairable.

The props and spinners are shot. But all the servos are good and the motors "look" ok. I still need to clean and test them.

One wing spar cracked off clean and left the rest embedded inside the wing. I can't get it out. I may just find a piece of CF rod that'll fit inside and make a splice.

If I were to purchase a new Complete Cockpit ($34.99), Middle Wing ($49.99), Middle Fuselage ($39.99), Spinners ($5.99) and Props (2x $5.99) that would come to $142.95. While this is $235 short of buying a new P-38L it represents the best bet for getting back up in the air sooner.

But before I do this, I have a question

Did they ever "upgrade" servo connectors on the P-38L to be like those modular plugs on the OV-10 Bronco? My P-38L doesn't have those. It just has separate servo connectors

Edit to add: I just found out on RCGROUPS that the wing servo connectors WERE upgraded. So the question now is, will the replacement middle wing still work with the older version outer wing panels?

Comment

Working...
                                          X