Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've installed the strut upgrade and Dubro wheels on my P-38. Has anyone else had an issue with the nose wheel hitting the gear door hinge at rear of the door?. It is not allowing the gear door to close completely. Is there a simple solution without sanding on the hinge?. The mains are closing properly without interference. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment

• A little off subject, but since I am using a Hobby Eagle A3 Super 3 gyro in my P-38 it kind of applies. Also have an Admiral 10ch receiver. How do I set up the adjustable gains to work on my DX-8?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spad Driver View Post
        I've installed the strut upgrade and Dubro wheels on my P-38. Has anyone else had an issue with the nose wheel hitting the gear door hinge at rear of the door?. It is not allowing the gear door to close completely. Is there a simple solution without sanding on the hinge?. The mains are closing properly without interference. Thanks for any suggestions.
        Mine were a real close fit as well. I did move the mount on the door hinge to the back of the bracket. I saw that on a post somewhere and it seemed to work from hitting the strut. Plus the wheel needs to be straight of course while going down...

Comment

• Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Comment

• Another winter project completed. Up-graded the Gear Struts to include 2.75" Front / 3" Rear Low Bounce Tires. Went to 11x7x3 Prop blades to run 6S power. Installed MrRC Sound card with P-38 sounds. Also "Thanks" to Callie Graphics on the nose art. We might have some decent weather here on Cape Cod this weekend so maybe she will maiden soon. Cant wait to see this bird in the air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38 Side.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	301137Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38 Front.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	301138Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38 Name.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	301136
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Cape Jets View Post

Another winter project completed. Up-graded the Gear Struts to include 2.75" Front / 3" Rear Low Bounce Tires. Went to 11x7x3 Prop blades to run 6S power. Installed MrRC Sound card with P-38 sounds. Also "Thanks" to Callie Graphics on the nose art.
              CJ, Truly well done. Love it. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Another winter project completed. Up-graded the Gear Struts to include 2.75" Front / 3" Rear Low Bounce Tires. Went to 11x7x3 Prop blades to run 6S power. Installed MrRC Sound card with P-38 sounds. Also "Thanks" to Callie Graphics on the nose art. We might have some decent weather here on Cape Cod this weekend so maybe she will maiden soon. Cant wait to see this bird in the air.

Well the last day of February gave us a gift here up on Cape Cod. Temps in the low 40's and no wind (alittle cloudy though). So the perfect day to get the Lightning in the air for the first time.
                What a great plane to fly and watch in the air. The 6's power was perfect and the manual suggested rates were pretty much dead on for trim. Needed about 2mm more up trim on the elevator to level her out. Prob cuz of the extra weight of the MrRC Sound transducers in the engine bays. Once that was trimmed out, man did she fly great. Got to admit though the sound card sounds cool, but the dual props sound amazing..... Got a good 4 flights on her and averaged 8 mins flight time on a 6S 5200mah 50C batteries. Couldn't have asked for a better maiden...

Comment

• Cape Jets

What motors did ya use with the 6S power You said batteries as in plural for more than one, where you using 2 of those 6S 5200mAh 50C per flight ??
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                    Cape Jets

What motors did ya use with the 6S power You said batteries as in plural for more than one, where you using 2 of those 6S 5200mAh 50C per flight ??
                    Stock motors that come in the plane. 11X7X3 props though.... Only one 6S battery per flight. Thats a tough fit just for one to get the CG right.

Comment

Another winter project completed. Up-graded the Gear Struts to include 2.75" Front / 3" Rear Low Bounce Tires. Went to 11x7x3 Prop blades to run 6S power. Installed MrRC Sound card with P-38 sounds. Also "Thanks" to Callie Graphics on the nose art. We might have some decent weather here on Cape Cod this weekend so maybe she will maiden soon. Cant wait to see this bird in the air.

You did a great job on a great plane. Well done. I'm just about to push that button and purchase this one. I have no need or desire for the upgrade motors and props but interested in what mods you might of made or problems to watch out for in building. The nose art is really nice from Callie and one thing I'd like to add as I'm not crazy about those that come with the plane. Good that you finally had some flying weather. Here in NC we've had tons of rain but its warming up nice mid day and flying more. Which gear struts did you go with ? And are those the DuBro tires shown on the sight.?
                      Thanks in advance for your help and once again - beautiful plane.

Russ NC/USA

Comment

• Originally posted by airotroy View Post

You did a great job on a great plane. Well done. I'm just about to push that button and purchase this one. I have no need or desire for the upgrade motors and props but interested in what mods you might of made or problems to watch out for in building. The nose art is really nice from Callie and one thing I'd like to add as I'm not crazy about those that come with the plane. Good that you finally had some flying weather. Here in NC we've had tons of rain but its warming up nice mid day and flying more. Which gear struts did you go with ? And are those the DuBro tires shown on the sight.?
                        Thanks in advance for your help and once again - beautiful plane.

Russ NC/USA
                        I would buy this plane again in a heart beat. This is likely gonna be my favorite plane to fly(but don't let my jets know that- F-15 Eagle, F-18 Blue Angel, F-16 Thunderbird and my faithful Habu STS) Upgraded struts came from Motion on the options page, DuBro- Low Bounce 2.75" front and 3" mains. Be prepared to make some adjustments to the foam in the gear bays to make them fit in the gear wells. Also will need some minor shims on the mains so the tires don't hit the struts. Only thing I did for 6S power is go to the 11X7X3 props. ESC and motors are stock with the plane. I run alot of 6S and seemed like a good option so I wouldn't need extra batteries just for her. When you hear her and see her in the air with the dual props you will be glad you got her. Cant wait till the weather finally breaks up here to get her in the air again and again...

Comment

I would buy this plane again in a heart beat. This is likely gonna be my favorite plane to fly(but don't let my jets know that- F-15 Eagle, F-18 Blue Angel, F-16 Thunderbird and my faithful Habu STS) Upgraded struts came from Motion on the options page, DuBro- Low Bounce 2.75" front and 3" mains. Be prepared to make some adjustments to the foam in the gear bays to make them fit in the gear wells. Also will need some minor shims on the mains so the tires don't hit the struts. Only thing I did for 6S power is go to the 11X7X3 props. ESC and motors are stock with the plane. I run alot of 6S and seemed like a good option so I wouldn't need extra batteries just for her. When you hear her and see her in the air with the dual props you will be glad you got her. Cant wait till the weather finally breaks up here to get her in the air again and again...
                          Did you buy your 11x7's on Motion and are they like the originals counter rotation ? Noticed in your pictures that the black paint on your fuse has a sheen to it and stands out really nice. Is that from applying minwax polycrylic or does the plane come that bright. What I'v seen in pics is kind of a dull black color. I usually coat my planes with the poly as it helps preserve the paint, decals, and foam in the hot summer sun. Also water proofs when we fly off ponds with floats. Thanks for the tips and info - I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into this and appreciate your responses. Russ

Comment

• Originally posted by airotroy View Post

Did you buy your 11x7's on Motion and are they like the originals counter rotation ? Noticed in your pictures that the black paint on your fuse has a sheen to it and stands out really nice. Is that from applying minwax polycrylic or does the plane come that bright. What I'v seen in pics is kind of a dull black color. I usually coat my planes with the poly as it helps preserve the paint, decals, and foam in the hot summer sun. Also water proofs when we fly off ponds with floats. Thanks for the tips and info - I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into this and appreciate your responses. Russ
                            The struts and tires are from Motion. The 11x7x3 Props are Master Airscrew and yes you order on counter rotating and one standard rotating prop. To fit those you need to make some mods to the prop backing plates and the spinners. Yes, I coat all my planes with Minwax Poly to get a nice shine on the plane. I apply all the decals first then 2 coats. One real thin coat and one heavy coat with a foam brush. Minwax levels out really nice and shines great.

Comment

The struts and tires are from Motion. The 11x7x3 Props are Master Airscrew and yes you order on counter rotating and one standard rotating prop. To fit those you need to make some mods to the prop backing plates and the spinners. Yes, I coat all my planes with Minwax Poly to get a nice shine on the plane. I apply all the decals first then 2 coats. One real thin coat and one heavy coat with a foam brush. Minwax levels out really nice and shines great.
                              Exactly how I do it and my planes all look brand new (except the bone pile) What battery are you running in that 6s . Im finding the Zee's on Amazon at that 5200 50C rating.

Comment

• Recommendations for placement of receiver and Hobby Eagle AS3S in the P-38.

Guys, I just purchased the P-38 and before it arrives I want to get my assembly game plan together. I know the P-38 has been out for a long time, so there has to be a lot of experience with this. I would really like to hear some recommendations for locating both the receiver (I will be using a Futaba R3008SB) and a Hobby Eagle AS3S V2 "gyro". If you know Futaba, they don't make a receiver I can use with integrated stabilization, so the HE AS3S V2 is my choice to use. I am currently using this combo in my F7F-3 Tigercat and it works perfectly and that was a TIGHT fit. This is the same combo I will use on the P-38. I also know that so many rc pilots do not believe in "gyros" or stabilization, but I install it on planes I like to keep, even if I never turn it on.

ANYWAY - Apparently the P-38 is pretty well known for a wiring "rats nest" already and it appears there is very little room in the nacelle for anything else. SO...any helpful, constructive, recommendations or "this is what I did" would be sincerely appreciated. Pictures are always helpful too :) Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                                  Recommendations for placement of receiver and Hobby Eagle AS3S in the P-38.

Guys, I just purchased the P-38 and before it arrives I want to get my assembly game plan together. I know the P-38 has been out for a long time, so there has to be a lot of experience with this. I would really like to hear some recommendations for locating both the receiver (I will be using a Futaba R3008SB) and a Hobby Eagle AS3S V2 "gyro". If you know Futaba, they don't make a receiver I can use with integrated stabilization, so the HE AS3S V2 is my choice to use. I am currently using this combo in my F7F-3 Tigercat and it works perfectly and that was a TIGHT fit. This is the same combo I will use on the P-38. I also know that so many rc pilots do not believe in "gyros" or stabilization, but I install it on planes I like to keep, even if I never turn it on.

ANYWAY - Apparently the P-38 is pretty well known for a wiring "rats nest" already and it appears there is very little room in the nacelle for anything else. SO...any helpful, constructive, recommendations or "this is what I did" would be sincerely appreciated. Pictures are always helpful too :) Thanks in advance!
                                  You are gonna love this bird.... For what it's worth here is a picture of how I set up the receiver and HE Gyro. Gyro should be a close to CG as possible and this position is pretty close.
                                  Also must do's: Upgrade to the strut landing gears and larger wheels. 2.75 Front- 3" mains. Pilot Ryan has a video on this upgrade. Good Luck and Good Flying....

Comment

• Thanks Jets. That's a huge help. I got her in Thursday and all is assembled (minus the gyro for right now). My thoughts ran exactly where you placed your gyro. Will do that. As soon as MRC has the strut upgrade back in stock, it will be ordered and installed. I got the DuBros, 2.75 for the nose and 3" for the mains...but ran into a slight issue with the 2.75" on the nose gear in that the collar will not go back on very far and I honestly don't think it will stay. My other issue with just putting the larger (3") on the mains is/was that the head of the grub screw on the right main was "stripped" from the factory. The others came off fine...go figure. Thanks again and I am looking forward to flying this beautiful aircraft. Maiden SOON!!!

Comment

• What am I doing wrong? Guys - I was installing the DuBro low bounce 2 3/4" treaded wheel on the nose gear of the P-38 and there is barely 1/16" left to install the collar back on. Yes, I removed the spacer prior to trying to get everything to fit. Simply put, the axle seems to short. I installed it anyway and after a few rolls to check it, sure enough the wheel came off. What am I doing wrong? I know there have been lots of pilots of this wonderful aircraft that have switched out wheels on both the nose and the mains. What did I screw up?

BTW - the maiden went beautifully. One of the most experienced pilots at our field did the honors and after some trimming flights...YES!!! My turn next :) Many asked about the wheels and why I had not upgraded to the suspension struts. Simple - they are out of stock. As soon as they are restocked, I'll get them in and do the upgrade.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I am very proud to have this one. She's a beauty!

Name:	P-38_03132021.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	304357

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                                        Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I am very proud to have this one. She's a beauty!
                                        LD, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Just HAD to share. THANKS CALLIE!!!!!! Custom nose art. 43 years ago My Girl said yes when I asked her to marry me. I thought her portrait as nose art was a perfect pairing on this P-38. Yeah, I'm proud!

Comment

Working...
                                          X