Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Official Announcement: FlightLine 1600mm P-38 Lightning!!!

Hi Mike, the second shipment will likely be about 5-6 weeks after this first one arrives. Chinese New Year begins in about a week which adds a chunk of time.

Like all new releases, after a few shipment cycles we'll be able to more accurately predict demand and order accordingly so we can maintain consistent stock levels. For now, the pre-order is going briskly. Thanks everyone for your support!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Will there be a native option for the high speed version? While I'm sure motors, spinners, and props are not all that expensive of a hop up, I hate the idea of having paid for stuff I won't need/use. Then there is the multiple.

Comment

Hi Konrad, that's a good question. We designed the P-38 to excel with its scale three blade prop, and at a certain price point. The idea to offer an High Speed upgrade set to those customers who want a faster 2 bladed setup was based on versatility and convenience. That being said, the market for a High Speed P-38 out of the box is untested, and we wanted to focus on a scale 3 bladed P-38 at this price point first, before venturing out to try other formats. These FlightLine planes are the first warbirds we've sold which arrive with scale propellers but also offer a factory made high speed motor/prop/spinner set. If those upgrades prove very popular, it may justify having a high speed PNP version (new SKUs, new inventory). If those upgrades prove popular among only a small proportion of sales, then we'll likely keep the power system as an upgrade only.

We followed this same process for Freewing jets, introducing Standard PNPs alone initially, then gradually introducing High Speed PNPs for certain models where the demand for a High Speed setup was clear. Note though that after that process most jets remain without a High Speed PNP option, because the real data showed that for most of those jets, pilots still preferred the standard PNPs and those who wanted High Speeds weren't enough to justify the cost of stocking High Speed SKUs.

One may wonder what is the downside of issuing High Speed PNPs in the beginning, anyway? The danger is that demand for more expensive High Speed PNPs will fall short of inventory, and stagnant inventory is a cancer in this business. Being involved with a new product's release as intimately as we are, there are key decisions to maximize the success of a product. Price and mass appeal are critical. Other considerations, like upgrade options, are a secondary focus.

For those interested in the High Speed setup, we'll have them uploaded over the next few days as we add spare parts to these new product listings.

Comment

Fully understand, I'm well aware of the numbers game on your side of the equation.

A few years ago "Foam" was thought of as a second rate model and suitable for trainers only. Lately, by efforts from firms like MotionRC this has changed, drastically I might add. They account for approximately 70+% of all the models at the flying fields I visit.
          Foam models are now looked at as first tier models. Not high performance models or contest models but close. Offering a SKU of an upgrade can only help push the image of these products as being worthy of consideration for the pilot thinking he might want more performance from foam. For me until I learn of a skin molding process the alligator finish will leave these foam models as great sport scale models

I'm shocked that sales of the low power are actually better than that of the high power/speed. I'm thinking Stinger 64, ROC 980 series, ROC 1100, Freewing 80mm jet. I've purchased one or more of each category and all are upgraded with ether the OEM upgrades or by after market products. But I'm sure you are keeping a close eye on the sales numbers.

Can I ask if the high speed will come with counter rotating props? Kelly Johnson used these not to counter engine torque (in fact the props spin the "wrong" way for this) but to make sure the airflow off the props was guaranteeing that the root of the wing would stall first at slow speeds. This is a feature I think both the scale enthusiast and the speed demon would want.

P.S.
          I would also like to see a naked option or a red YIPPEE 5000, my eyes aren't what they use to be!

Comment

Hi Konrad,
            Both the scale PNP's 3 bladed prop set and the HPS' 2 bladed prop set are counter-rotating.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
              Hi Konrad,
              Both the scale PNP's 3 bladed prop set and the HPS' 2 bladed prop set are counter-rotating.
              GREAT!!!

Now to figure out my TAX liabilities!

All the best,
              Konrad

Comment

Hey Motion Team,

I was re-reading the description (okay, you caught me. I was drooling) and a couple of questions came up. There's a mention of "clean wiring". I know the FMS P-38 was a wiring nightmare, with double everything and the lights. How has this been cleaned up? I'm guessing a connector, like the 980mm planes? Also noted the removable wings. This is great, as it's never fitting in my car with them on. Is there a one piece connecter plug for the wings? Can you post a pic of the connector, and how the wing bolts on? I'm guessing there's some carbon tube in there as well???

Thanks!
                I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

We'll be posting Assembly videos soon which show all those aspects, FLTRI. It makes more sense in video than words. Suffice to say it's all a very clean installation with screws.
                  [hr]
                  We've fielded lots of calls asking about the different decal options included with each FlightLine 1600mm P-38L PNP. Here are a few pictures from the product page which show those decal options in greater detail. The Air Force insignias are pre-installed at the factory, but you get to choose which livery you want to complete your model in.

The "Pacific Silver" variant includes four complete decal sets for Major Thomas McGuire and three other pilots he commanded as part of "Satan's Angels", the elite 431st Fighter Squadron (475th FG) over Indonesia and the Philippines circa 1944/45

Major Thomas McGuire, "Pudgy V", #131 (38 kills, second highest American Ace in history)
                  Captain Louis DuMontier, "Madu" #125
                  Lieutenant Thomas Martin, "Battle Axe", #114
                  Lieutenant Thomas Oxford, "Doots", #122

The "Allied Green" variant includes four complete decal sets for the following aircraft, the first three of which operated throughout Europe:

Colonel Bob Meyers, "Bobcat II", 8th Air Force, 20th Fighter Group, 79th Fighter Squadron (Ace, )
                  Colonel Harold Rau, "Gentle Annie", 8th Air Force 20th Fighter Group, Kingscliffe
                  Lt. Colonel Joe Meyers, "Journey's End", 8th Air Force, 38th Fighter Squadron, 55th Fighter Group (Ace, 7.5 kills)
                  Lieutenant Stuart Lawhead, "Strictly Sex", 432nd Fighter Squadron, 475th Fighter Group

Depending on the decal set one chooses for the Allied Green, some painting of the spinners or stripes may be required to achieve a completely accurate depiction. But the decals are 90% of the work and they're done for you. These new decals are a very thin adhesive Vinyl. It adheres easily and lays down flat without the need for a sealer. Some pilots may choose to coat their planes with a layer of Minwax Polycrylic ("Water Based Polyurethane" or "WBPU"). But it isn't necessary.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I was very fortunate enough to watch this under development through most of the design phase and thanks to Alpha (who knew I was the resident P-38 nut on staff) he came to me to help verify scale fidelity integrity in the model and kept me in the loop with other elements important to the design phase.

I was so pleased that we got the outline pretty much dead on, unlike other versions that had to cheat (such as bloated nacelles/booms). We campaigned for true fowler flaps and proper strut rake and wheel size but it simply became obvious that it's easier said than done for a foam RC version, especially without destroying a reasonable price point.

So what we end up with is the most accurate scale profile foam-built RC P-38 on the market. I can deal with the struts (likely to be the main desired mod) and raking issue, and split flaps over fowler, again for the reasons listed above. And the size is spectacular!

I can't wait to order my OD version!
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Congratulations to the team that is responsible for the new P-38! I have been waiting for some time for a good P-38.
                      I have pre-ordered both colors!

Comment

You are my hero. I will need to wait until my bank account and I are back on speaking terms. :)
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by borntoolate
                          Congratulations to the team that is responsible for the new P-38! I have been waiting for some time for a good P-38.
                          I have pre-ordered both colors!
                          Ditto, Great Job Guys! I've been whining (here, and RCG) for a 6-channel P-38 for quite awhile. I kinda have to chuckle now, remembering all the naysayers that told me there would never be a full house Lightning. Booms are too fragile. Electrics are too complicated. Too expensive, it'll never sell. Not enough interest...

Thanks Motion, for proving them wrong!

And congrats to borntoolate for getting both! I thought I was a certified P-38 nut, I surrender my straight jacket to you! Still, everyone wins...  ;)
                          I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                          ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC
                            AussieHoppie, we are working on a solution to ship to you. We hope to have it in place in the not too distant future.
                            Thanks ever so Tom.
                            Any chance you could put 2 aside for us so we don't miss out on the pre order while the solution is being worked out? ;)
                            It's tough being Down Under lol

Comment

Yup Certifiable, that I wont argue with :) ... I with you, got tired of hearing the naysayers ! Tks for proving them wrong and us who kept wishing and saying it was coming. I cant wait to fly this one and the LA, looking forward to whats next.... DJ
                              FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                              DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                              Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                              J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

As Tom mentioned on RCGroups, these three aircraft are just the beginning for FlightLine!

Comment

Probably this is the time I should 'fess up and admit I ordered the La7 as well as the 2 P-38s.

Comment

Borntoolate, you were bornattheperfecttime, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                                      Borntoolate, you were bornattheperfecttime, thanks!
                                      It sure seems like it! You guys have great customer service and I look forward to all 3 arriving!
                                      (I will make room for them!)

Bob

Comment

Bob, you can send me the overflow brother :) ... I with you, planning on getting the La7 along with the Silver P-38. Id love to have the od green too but with my failing eyesight I am afraid id loose it in the tree line...plus I am planning on doing my own custom theme... DJ
                                        FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
                                        DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
                                        Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
                                        J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

Here's what nuts about this. I chatted with Alpha some time ago about the FMS P-38 and the wiring issue. I still had one in the box, and eventually made it to the bench. Who! What a mess! I asked Alpha about another possibility it could come back in a pn easier format.
                                          He responded with, yes, the FMS version was nice, but what a nightmare in wiring.

Alpha, good job keeping it under wraps all this time.

By the way, my FMS P-38 "Marge" was finally done after a very long time on the bench, but I haven't flown because after all,of the work I don't want to risk losing it. Nuts! ?

Making room for the new one at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                          X