Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Official Announcement: FlightLine 1600mm P-38 Lightning!!!

Duratax makes a great tool for those pesky e clips. While I've only needed it a few times it's saved a bunch of trouble.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVWC5&P=7

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
      Speaking of Scale, Bobcat II's nose cone was silver. The full production aircraft being delivered to us all have a silver painted nose cone. My production sample did not. No one picked up on it yet, but I know it should be silver so a few minutes ago I masked the nose and sprayed silver plate onto it. It's a little too "chrome" for accuracy's sake. The model you all receive will be the more accurate aluminum/silver color. But regardless of the sheen, the silver nose ties everything together. Notice that the nose cone is plastic to keep its shape during transport. A crushed nose is no fun.

We'll also be producing a "Detailer's Guide" type of video for Flightline planes, showing pilots what a few extra minutes of customization here and there can do to your Flightline aircraft. I'll be weathering the superchargers, drilling the gun barrels and weathering them also, painting the gear struts and radio boxes, etc. Maybe even radio aerials?  Flightline already airbrushed the superchargers in two tones, which is a nice touch out of the box.

While I use an airbrush, most of these weathering effects can easily be done with dry chalk, charcoal, and simple diluted washes, so it's accessible to anyone with a few dollars and few minutes of time. A little goes a long way.
      I'm sure you all know why the silver nose, but in case you don't, there was a recon version on the P 38 with a clear nose much like a B17 or B26.  No weaponry so they were helpless if the nasty Nazis caught up with them, they, on the other hand were looking at an easy kill, so they thought.  So the fighter boys intentionally imitated the look of the Plexiglas nose in order to fool the German pilots and lure them in.   So the shinier the better in order to create that illusion.

Grossman56 
      [hr]
      Originally posted by Brandon Moon
      Speaking of Scale, Bobcat II's nose cone was silver. The full production aircraft being delivered to us all have a silver painted nose cone. My production sample did not. No one picked up on it yet, but I know it should be silver so a few minutes ago I masked the nose and sprayed silver plate onto it. It's a little too "chrome" for accuracy's sake. The model you all receive will be the more accurate aluminum/silver color. But regardless of the sheen, the silver nose ties everything together. Notice that the nose cone is plastic to keep its shape during transport. A crushed nose is no fun.

We'll also be producing a "Detailer's Guide" type of video for Flightline planes, showing pilots what a few extra minutes of customization here and there can do to your Flightline aircraft. I'll be weathering the superchargers, drilling the gun barrels and weathering them also, painting the gear struts and radio boxes, etc. Maybe even radio aerials?  Flightline already airbrushed the superchargers in two tones, which is a nice touch out of the box.

While I use an airbrush, most of these weathering effects can easily be done with dry chalk, charcoal, and simple diluted washes, so it's accessible to anyone with a few dollars and few minutes of time. A little goes a long way.
      If you would like any help with that? I would be more than happy to lend a hand ;) . Just give me a call or shoot me an email, that sounds like a lot of fun ...."Detailer's Guide".

[hr]
      Already have a new custom pilot figure painted up and ready to install :)
      Hey Brandon, I have that guy as well, ready to go into the P40, I was hoping to here some
       more on how you made the sliding canopy on the P 40

Grossman56 
      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56

I'm sure you all know why the silver nose, but in case you don't, there was a recon version on the P 38 with a clear nose much like a B17 or B26.  No weaponry so they were helpless if the nasty Nazis caught up with them, they, on the other hand were looking at an easy kill, so they thought.  So the fighter boys intentionally imitated the look of the Plexiglas nose in order to fool the German pilots and lure them in.   So the shinier the better in order to create that illusion.

Grossman56 

[hr]
        Originally posted by Brandon Moon

If you would like any help with that? I would be more than happy to lend a hand ;) . Just give me a call or shoot me an email, that sounds like a lot of fun ...."Detailer's Guide".

[hr]
        Already have a new custom pilot figure painted up and ready to install :)
        Hey Brandon, I have that guy as well, ready to go into the P40, I was hoping to here some
         more on how you made the sliding canopy on the P 40

Grossman56 

Brandon Moon

Comment

I will post more on that canopy modification you asked about over on the P-40 thread
          Brandon Moon

Comment

I still have my awesome AOI pilot that Brandon customized for my 1700mm P-51D Red Tail...He added arms, legs, control stick and gloved hands, with my name on the flight jacket no less!  I ended up selling the plane but I refused to sell the pilot with it.  He's awaiting his next Red Tail.  :)

What scale AOI will this P-38 require?  1:8?  
            Attached Files
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC
              I still have my awesome AOI pilot that Brandon customized for my 1700mm P-51D Red Tail...He added arms, legs, control stick and gloved hands, with my name on the flight jacket no less!  I ended up selling the plane but I refused to sell the pilot with it.  He's awaiting his next Red Tail.  :)

What scale AOI will this P-38 require?  1:8?  
              DANG!!! been a Loong time since I've seen him....:) that was the first one I ever did. Done about two dozen since then in various forms. I just did an upper bust paint for "Pilot Ryan's" new FMS 1400mm P-40B...he should be getting it any day now?
              Brandon Moon

Comment

Does anyone know of a more realistic looking wheel for the mains that will fit? I considered the ones from the LX B25,but theyre 4" ..really the size doesnt bother me all that much..its the way they look.
                www.TSHobbies.com
                Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies
                  Does anyone know of a more realistic looking wheel for the mains that will fit?  I considered the ones from the LX B25,but theyre 4" ..really the size doesnt bother me all that much..its the way they look.
                  I was looking at the 1450mm FMS Mustang wheels. They are about 3" in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies
                    Does anyone know of a more realistic looking wheel for the mains that will fit?  I considered the ones from the LX B25,but theyre 4" ..really the size doesnt bother me all that much..its the way they look.
                    Hey TS!

I posted yesterday that Robart has scale WW II diamond tread tires with optional spokes or smooth rim covers in 3 inch size.

Roy B.

Comment

Originally posted by FLTRI
                      Okay. You owe me a keyboard. I literally just shot beer out of my nose...

It is kind of fun though, walking to that smoking hole, and deciding what to salvage, right???
                      I'm might buy you a beer, but that's about it.  :D

Now as an environmentally conscience flier I pick up all the parts that are in the divot. When I'm of a cooler mind I then go through the triage process. Much to my surprise with electrics I can salvage just about all of my wrecks, as nothing is oil soaked.

All the best,
                      Konrad

Comment

Hope nobody minds me reposting this video of the Red Bull P38, but if you want to see a beautiful restoration check this out
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p26N...#t=613.6908458

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

While Ladd Gardner had a critical in-flight fire with this aircraft in 2001 the resultant damage from the forced landing really wasn’t that bad.
                          http://p38whitelightnin.com/restoration/

I loved seeing this at the Reno air races in the early 90’s

This is a P-38L with earlier more streamlined engine oil coolers.

I have to give Red Bull credit for not making it into an ugly flying aluminum Red Bull can.

Comment

Pre ordered the Allied Green, will be looking forward to getting out to fly this spring :)

Comment

good thinkin..probably just order the P-51 wheels. they look pretty good.
                              www.TSHobbies.com
                              Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

TS,
                                Just wanted to give ya heads up that the FMS P-51 3" main wheel only has a 3.1mm axle hole. Probably can bore it to 4mm but no guarentees on how thick that sleeve wall is. I opened the axle like that on another well known brand wheel(name escapes me) only to discover I now had no inner sleeve connecting the two wheel halves which rendered it useless.......oh well. I do have to concur with you about it being a good looking one to put on.
                                Best regards,
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have drilled out the FMS Mustang wheels to 4mm before. The inner sleeves are thick enough for the job.

Comment

Sure would be nice to see the video.......Alpha.... :D
                                    rc flyin addict

Comment

Hey Alpha, or anyone at Motion,

I'm getting my shopping list together for this plane. Batteries, wheels, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the single 5000mAh battery. Are you going to be stocking the EC5 to twin Deans connector? It'd be nice if I could get it all in one place, considering the free shipping you offer. Should I wait a bit, or start buying the connectors to build my own???

Thanks!
                                      I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                                      ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

That's a good question FLTRI...I'll ask on Monday and see what I can find out...Would be a good idea to carry that adapter...
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I asked about the adapter already. The answer was probably not. The minimum order quantity is crazy high. We'll probably make a quick video on how to solder up our own, or eBay has them for around 10 bucks.

I also asked about offering that battery with a t plug on it. It was determined that too much voltage could melt the connector. Once it passes the ec5 and splits it's not a big deal.

I want to try that battery as well, partly because I also want to try it on the p40b.

Regards
                                          Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                          X