X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official FlightLine RC 1600mm P-38 Lightning Thread

Motion RC is proud to announce FlightLineRC, a new brand of warbirds developed in partnership with Freewing Models. Freewing has established itself as a premier manufacturer in the electric RC market with their scale jets and quality warbirds. MotionRC has been deeply involved with many of Freewing's releases over the past two years, and FlightLine takes that partnership to a new level. *FlightLine will produce warbirds in various sizes, updating past aircraft we all know and love, and also bringing new aircraft which have never been mass-produced in the foam electric format. FlightLine is committed to providing a wide range of spare parts in stock at Motion RC to keep you flying. Say goodbye to waiting months for unavailable spares!

We're pleased to finally reveal Project Halberd, a highly sought after large P-38 Lightning which we're sure will be the darling of pilots' warbird fleets.

FlightLineRC’s P-38L Lightning is a 1600mm wingspan, semi-scale flying replica molded from EPO foam. FlightLineRC’s P-38 represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P-38. It is the largest mass-produced foam electric P-38 in the world, with a high level of quality and scale fidelity. We know our customers have been waiting for a large P-38 with good size, clean wiring, and scale lines. The wait is over, it’s here!

In direct collaboration with MotionRC, this P-38 was designed for easy operation. Its outer wings disassemble with four screws for convenient transportation and allowing the aircraft to sit on all three wheels without the outer wings attached. The horizontal stabilizer can also be removed with screws for maintenance or replacement. FlightLineRC’s P-38 Lightning features durable electronic retractable landing gear, five sequenced servo driven landing gear doors, day-bright LEDs, machine gun details, plastic nose cone and cowls, four flaps, accurate canopy and nacelle shape, and other scale details. The correct wing dihedral and other scale profiles were precisely modeled to produce an accurate P-38 shape which honors this historic warbird. Each rudder is directly controlled by its own servo. The cockpit layout accommodates a wide range of 4S 14.8v Li-Po batteries with ample space for electronics, all accessible under the long magnetic hatch cover which spans almost the entire length of the pilot’s nacelle. To ensure a high degree of structural rigidity, the entire model was designed around a special framework of carbon rods and reinforcement points. This framework strengthens the aircraft during high speed maneuvers, while still providing a gentle and forgiving flying behavior.

This aircraft is 1/10 scale, almost in scale with FlightLine's 1200mm Sea Fury (1/9.7) and other aircraft such as the Eflite 1200mm P-51 (1/9.4) or RocHobby 1100mm Strega (1/10.2). Fly alongside a similar scaled aircraft to see just how much presence the P-38 has in the air!

The stock PNP version is equipped with two 3748 brushless outrunner motors and two 12x7 3-blade counter-rotating propellers for the perfect scale appearance. With the recommended 4S 14.8v 5000mAh (one battery per side or a single battery with your series adapter), the P-38 boasts sufficient power for large consecutive loops and a level top speed of 81mph. An optional “High Power Upgrade Set” can be purchased separately to obtain a level top speed of 94mph. The Upgrade Set includes two 3648 motors, two 12x8 2-blade counter-rotating propellers, and two 2-blade spinners.

Color Schemes and Decal options:

The P-38 is offered in two color schemes, “Pacific Silver” and “Allied Green”. The “Pacific Silver” scheme includes four decal sets from the 431st Squadron led by Medal of Honor recipient Thomas McGuire. The “Allied Green” scheme includes four decal sets from various squadrons in Europe and other theaters. Choose which decal set you want to apply to make your P-38 unique among your friends! The decals are "peel and stick", made with a very thin adhesive vinyl which is easy to apply and does not require water.

For complete details, please see the product pages here:

Pacific Silver:
    http://www.motionrc.com/flightlinerc...-wingspan-pnp/

Allied Green:
    http://www.motionrc.com/flightlinerc...-wingspan-pnp/

For any questions, ask here and our team will do our best to answer you. Note that the silver plane pictured in most of these pictures is a pre-production sample which I painted as a color reference guide for Freewing's production model. We'll have photos of the production model soon (it can be seen in the Box Art photo below). Over the coming weeks we will be posting Assembly Videos, Setup Tips, and Flight Review Videos of both the stock PNP aircraft and the high performance Sport Power System set. Stay tuned and thanks for your support for Motion RC and FlightLineRC!
    Attached Files
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

RE: Official Announcement: FlightLine 1600mm P-38 Lightning!!!

As a self-professed P-38 nut, I can't tell you guys how exciting it has been for me working behind the scenes watching Alpha working step-by-step with Freewing to make this the finest, high scale fidelity foam P-38 on the market at a reasonable price given the quality and size.

I'll be getting both silver and OD!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Wow!  Great news guys!!
      I know that there has been a hungering for a P38 by many of the gang, so its great that their Christmas came albeit a little late, better late than never!

So, I'm holding my breath here, hoping that I see a 1400mm Bearcat being announced.......................

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

OMG
        Now this what I've been hoping for some time that the foamie industry would do !!!!!!
        This will sell 10 fold more than that P-40B at the same price. About time the entry price is of value and reasonable for the offering!!! 
        Alpha and the rest of the MRC team.......thank you. Wish you guys didn't have to keep things under wrap so much. Now I've gotta get a couple extra gigs for some buying beans to jump on this because I didn't see much on the horizon and spent it elsewhere. :(
        I guess my aspirations for the reinstated Pitt are gonna have to wait because there is a Warbird back in the mix.
        Best regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

HOLLY COW!!!!!! Finally!!!! Doc

Comment

Thanks Charlie, we know a lot of people have been wanting a P-38 ever since FMS' 1400mm P-38 was discontinued over two years ago, and we're confident the 1600mm P-38 is just the ticket! We try to strike a balance between giving customers a heads up on upcoming products, while not giving away too much of the farm to distract from other products.

Here's a photo of the 1100mm RocHobby Strega, which is just about the same scale as this 1600mm P-38.

Also pictured is the FlightLine 1600mm P-38 alongside the old FMS 1400mm P-38.
            Attached Files

Comment

You guys sure are putting a dent in my wallet !!!!  :s

I'm going to have no choice but to build an outbuilding/workshop
              now. There are airplanes and helis all over the place at my house !

Thanks a lot ! LOL .....  :D :D
              If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                Thanks Charlie, we know a lot of people have been wanting a P-38 ever since FMS' 1400mm P-38 was discontinued over two years ago, and we're confident the 1600mm P-38 is just the ticket! We try to strike a balance between giving customers a heads up on upcoming products, while not giving away too much of the farm to distract from other products.

Here's a photo of the 1100mm RocHobby Strega, which is just about the same scale as this 1600mm P-38.

Also pictured is the FlightLine 1600mm P-38 alongside the old FMS 1400mm P-38.
                WOW! I've been waiting for this for what seems like forever! Already pre-ordered!

Cross post from RGC:

Thats Alpha, you got my $$$ already on the pre order! But inquiring minds need to know more!

Have you flown it yet? What are your impressions?
                I see split flaps (Yaaaa!) are they plastic, or foam?
                What kind of lights? Nav, landing, and/or formation?
                Two batteries, or one? If two, does one go in each nacelle? Kinda seems like that could go poorly, if one battery goes low/dead before the other.
                Are there oleos, or some kind of spring on the struts?"
                I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

Hey FLTRI, thanks for your business! These pre-orders are going Lightning quick!

To answer your questions in order:

1 - I've flown the prototypes over 200 times. If it wasn't already apparent, Motion RC was very, very closely involved on the development of these aircraft, in the same way we jointly developed last year's plethora of 80mm and 90mm Freewing jets. I love the plane, we wouldn't have green lit production any other way. It's a stellar flyer, like just about any P-38.

2 -The split flaps are thin foam reinforced with a thin plywood plate. Four flaps in total. Fowlers were insane for this size and pricepoint but splits do the job nicely.

3 - The light package is as follows: port wingtip top/bottom RED, starboard wingtip top/bottom GREEN, port side landing light WHITE (the real P-38 only had a landing light on the port side). All of these lights are static, non blinking. For the Formation lights under the nacelle, there should be on the production model a single white LED illuminating a red/green/white decal. That's flashing slowly. Technically, in real life only one of the lights were ever illuminated at any one time. When a plane was descending, it was red, (so his wingman would know to also descend). Green only showed when the plane was climbing, white when it was level. This feature isn't replicated in the FlightLine model for obvious programming reasons.

4 - Each motor/ESC outputs to its own T-connector, like the F-14, or the B-17. This allows easy calibrating of each ESC. I flew most flights with two Admiral 4s 2500s and Admiral 4s 3000s. One per side. Easy to recharge, and I have lots of those batteries from my Strega and other 980mm-1200mm warbirds. A single Admiral 4s 5000 also fits great. For that, I soldered the output end of a Parallel T-connector adapter with an EC5.

5 - The struts aren't oleos, they're thick steel wire with a plastic sheath, like most of FMS' 1400mm warbirds (Corsair, Zero, BF-109, FW-190) or more recently Eflite's huge 1980mm T-28. Grass and pavement haven't given me any issues with this P-38 and this strut design, just as I haven't had issues with those other planes. We ruled out aluminum struts because of cost, weight, and complexity, and the fact that they did not significantly contribute to the aircraft's ground handling versus the simpler and stronger steel struts to justify the added cost. An entirely new set of compression struts would had to have been designed and produced, since none of the other struts in Freewing's product lineup could be adapted. Specialty struts just weren't worth the premium this time around. I can imagine a few intrepid P-38 owners cutting off the steel struts an inch out of the retract's trunion socket and adapting aftermarket struts, particularly on the mains (easier than the nose). More power to them, but I personally will be keeping mine stock. I can't see them giving me any problems after 200+ flights.

Comment

I can see this will certainly be my next purchase!
                    www.TSHobbies.com
                    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Dang!!!
                      Just received my FW F-86 80mm, completed the build this weekend......and now this!
                      I've dumped my change bucket on the floor and counting as i type.
                      Gotta have it.....
                      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Thanks Alpha, good info. I got all excited looking at the pictures, and kinda glazed over the fact the Motion had input in the design. That's a real good thing for all of us. I know you guys won't let a bad design out of the door.

I'm digging the light package, especially the formation lights. That, is just too cool! Can you see them in daylight?

I'm still a bit confused with the batteries. So, if I'm using two smaller batteries, both batteries get physically placed in the center nacelle, and the T connecter runs outboard to each ESC/motor combo. Is that correct? What happens if I don't have two perfectly matched batteries? Is one motor going to turn at a different RPM, and cause issues?
                        I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

Comment

We have been looking for a quality P-38 for years. We finally gave up and pushed to make our own. I'm sure you all know the competition is looking and watching so we had to keep this under wraps the entire time we were working on this. We know many of you have been asking for a P-38 for years. We wanted to make sure it was just right before letting the cat out of the bag. Your going to see a lot more great stuff coming from this new Motion RC brand FlightlineRC.

Comment

SUPER STOKED! Great work team!

Can't wait!

Ryan

Comment

Got any pics of the bottom of it? Gear open and closed, retract details, formation lights, flaps in different positions?

Man, I can't wait for this plane to land!

Comment

Oh yeah, I will be ordering this one.  Perhaps I will have better luck than with the P-40.  I have been waiting for this one for a long time and am sure Motion did their home work here. 

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC
                                  We have been looking for a quality P-38 for years. We finally gave up and pushed to make our own. I'm sure you all know the competition is looking and watching so we had to keep this under wraps the entire time we were working on this. We know many of you have been asking for a P-38 for years. We wanted to make sure it was just right before letting the cat out of the bag. Your going to see a lot more great stuff coming from this new Motion RC brand FlightlineRC.
                                  Tom, I left several message that I would like to talk with you.  For some reason, I do not think they are getting to you.  Please check on this for me.  Thanks.

Comment

Hi, congrats on a winner!
                                    Tbh I've never been a huge fan of the P38 as an rc bird, but being 1600mm and having seen the pics- I'm sold!

Myself and 2 mates (to start with lol) here in Oz are keen to buy, I'm ready to pre-order now lol but MotionRC doesn't have shipping options to Australia.

@ Tom.MotionRC
                                    Is there any chance we can order direct from China or Hong Kong, or at least somewhere in Asia/Pacific? Perhaps RC Castle or PW-RC?

It makes a lot of good sense to encourage sales Down Under but allow us access to a credible retailer ;)
                                    [hr]
                                    BTW if your La-7 was 1600mm I would've pre-ordered it too! :D

Comment

Is there a expected due date on a second run?

Mike
                                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

AussieHoppie, we are working on a solution to ship to you. We hope to have it in place in the not too distant future.

Comment

Working...
                                        X