X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flite EC-1500

When I first saw this plane I was really excited, a good looking modern military twin turboprop cargo plane. Then E-Flite released the video and they were touting it as a twin aerobatics machine. They were flying it more like a Pitts o Edge than a big ol twin engine cargo plane. To add to my concern, the plane is priced north of $350 and doesn't include retracts.

But still, it looks like a C-27J Spartan, so since I like pretty much anything scale, or scale"ish" I decided to give it a shot.

I got one of the first BNF models available thanks to my LHS being on some Horizon Hobby early bird program.

As you'd expect from E-Flite, the plane is well packed and mine was damage free. The plane goes together in about half an hour, if you are slow. It is a fairly big and bulky plane, and, to me, has the look of a C-27J. However, E-Flite has taken some liberties to make the plane more desirable to aerobatic enthusiasts.

The leading edge of the outer portion of the wings are extended and include vortex generators. All of the control surfaces are way oversize and the model includes a neat connecting system so you can tailor the flap/aileron arrangement to your taste in flying, to include eliminating the flaps and having the aileron the full width of the wing.

The plane is equipped with two 650Kv motors and can be flown on three or four cell batteries. It also comes with a pair of counter rotating scimitar five blade props.

The model also includes a servo operated rear cargo ramp, so you can drop stuff from the plane if you like.
    To their credit, the guys at E-Flite have stated that this is not a scale model of a cargo plane, it just happens to share the appearance of one.

With that in mind, I figured with a little extra paint and decals, it can be made to look like a Spartan, at least from a few feet;-)

After a foam shattering set back a couple of weeks ago that was my fault, I picked up another plane and finally got in the air today. I'm happy to report that this is a very good flying plane. I am not a big aerobatics enthusiast, so I will leave that evaluation for someone else, but as a scale like twin it is very smooth and presents well in the air. I am flying mine with Admiral 3600 four cell batteries and after 7 minutes of mixed throttle flying I still show 55% left. The twin 650 Kv motors have way more power than needed for scale flying, but power is one of those things that is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

The paint scheme E-Flite chose is actually a "one of" scheme on a C-130, celebrating 50 years of service with the Coast Guard. It translates well to this airframe and looks good against about any sky.

So while I wish it had retracts and was just a little more scale oriented, overall I have to say E-Flite will probably have a hit on their hands.

A bit pricy but I kinda like it. It’s a cross between a C-130 (HobbyKing) and the BushMule, but priced above the C-130. Since the wheels are tucked close to the fuse, I don’t even mind that they are fixed.

Comment

Comment

^ Is that the PNP or with AS3X? Flying on 3s or 4s?

Comment

Railfan,

Like the plane, don't like the fixed gear.

Do you think retracts could be fitted to this plane?

I think a nose retract would be easy enough as there seems to be plenty of room.

The question would be if the side bulges are big enough that you could carve enough foam out to mount short legged main retracts.

What do you think?

Thanks
          Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Take a look at the retracts on the Avios C-130. The two planes are fairly close in wingspan and the belly may also be similar in size. You could adapt them to this plane. You'd need one of each to compare.

Comment

All of the videos above were without AS3X and on 4 cell. The plane has gobs of power and is very stable.

I also wish this plane had retracts. I considered trying to retrofit the C-130 main gear, but the wheels are about an inch wider on the E-Flite, so you would have to find a way to extend/widen the C-130 axles. The neat thing is, you wouldn't need gear doors for the mains since the mains on a C-27J just tuck up into the well and are still partially exposed when retracted. There is plenty of room inside, though you would give up some of the cargo area.

I'm not sure I have the desire or engineering skills to try to add gear to this, but it would definitely enhance the plane.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                All of the videos above were without AS3X and on 4 cell. The plane has gobs of power and is very stable.

I also wish this plane had retracts. I considered trying to retrofit the C-130 main gear, but the wheels are about an inch wider on the E-Flite, so you would have to find a way to extend/widen the C-130 axles. The neat thing is, you wouldn't need gear doors for the mains since the mains on a C-27J just tuck up into the well and are still partially exposed when retracted. There is plenty of room inside, though you would give up some of the cargo area.

I'm not sure I have the desire or engineering skills to try to add gear to this, but it would definitely enhance the plane.

JB
                Very enlightening about the C-130 gear. I'm surprised that the C-130 gear is narrower being how it's a slightly bigger plane. I was thinking you might have to shrink it. It might clean up the plane a little bit if only the nose gear was retractable. I gotta see how many coins are in the piggy bank this month but this plane is really starting to grow on me. I love the Herc and it's power is "adequate" but it never hurts to have more. This one seems to have it.
                I was wondering if this had a "name" and it does .................. Spartan.
                Look at this sucker go ...........................

And none of those uptight guys at the field can say you're not flying it "scale".

Cap. Ryan just put out his review video on this:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	597B114E-6BF0-4CD8-9790-C9DE9A087D55.jpeg
Views:	2348
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	211491 Kinda helped take the heat off of my maiden of the Pacer - huge turnout as aLHS owner came out to maiden a club members new plane

Comment

Got in a few more flights with mine today. Overall it is a very nice flying plane.

I took the EC-1500 and my old BushMule out today, kind of a the old and the new session. They are very similar in speed and climb on four cell, but of course the EC-1500 is going to be a much better aerobatic plane than the 'Mule.
                    I've been flying the Mule for several years and it has nearly 400 flights on it. If the EC-1500 holds up as well, I'll be more than satisfied.

Comment

HOLY.....! Did you see the knife edge he pulled off too? The rolls were amazing, but to do a knife edge in something like that... WOW!

This is a great looking plane from E-Flite. But, the price point is a bit high for me. I'd be more likely to buy the Avios C-130.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                        Very enlightening about the C-130 gear. I'm surprised that the C-130 gear is narrower being how it's a slightly bigger plane. I was thinking you might have to shrink it. It might clean up the plane a little bit if only the nose gear was retractable. I gotta see how many coins are in the piggy bank this month but this plane is really starting to grow on me.
                        Even though the guys at E-Flite are adamant that the EC-1500 is not a scale model of any particular plane, it closely resembles a C-27J to my eye. They have taken some obvious liberties with the shape of the wing for improved performance.

With that in mind, using the C-27J as a reference point this plane would scale out to about 1/19 scale. The Avios C-130 scales out to about 1/25 scale.

If E-Flite had scaled the EC-1500 down a bit closer to 1/25 the Herc mains would have been a very simple conversion. Conversely, since the C-130J and C-27J share engines and props, we could have used the nice E-Flite scimitar props to change the Herc form an H model to a J model.

Jim

Comment

Even though the guys at E-Flite are adamant that the EC-1500 is not a scale model of any particular plane, it closely resembles a C-27J to my eye.

Conversely, since the C-130J and C-27J share engines and props, we could have used the nice E-Flite scimitar props to change the Herc form an H model to a J model.
                          I see. So this is a "representation" (ie, looks like) of something in real life but not a true scale reproduction. That's OK with me. It still looks the part.
                          I was doing a comparison of the props last night with the same though you had. I was a bit disappointed about the size difference as I think the Herc would so nice and up to date with EC props. There's another RC transport plane that has 4 engines and had those kinds of props. It's was an Airbus A400. AliExpress used to sell it but is no longer available: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32266595223.html
                          I've seen videos of it fly but with those anti-hedral wings, it was awkward in flight and looked unstable.
                          The FMS PC-21 also has a similar prop but again, too big and doesn't offer a counter-rotating one.
                          My LHS is supposed to be getting a few BNF in this week. I may pick one up and deal with the consequences later (mainly storage space when built).

Comment

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred that Avios had up scaled the C-130 to about 1/19 scale, which would have put the wing span a little over 2000mm.

The wings on the EC-1500 are held in place with 4 nylon thumb screws and connections are via a multi pin plug, assembly and removal is pretty simple.

Comment

I agree. A 2000mm wingspan Herc would have been nice, especially with the way the wings plugged in (no extraneous plugs to do up). Too late now. I'd not get another one, even if bigger. I love the 1600 and that's enough. The Flightline B-24 is also 2000mm but the crap one has to go through to connect up all the wiring is just tedious and time consuming. It's not my favourite plane in that respect - just too much fiddling to get it put together and taken apart. I rarely fly it anymore.
                              Although I don't take my Herc apart for transport or storage, even without the thumbscrews, it's a simple wing removal. This EC should be a joy to assemble in its simplicity.

Comment

From a versatility standpoint, the EC-1500 is a home run. It can fly off grass, off pavement, off the water, and off of snow. The flight envelope allows scale people like me or the aerobatic crowd to enjoy the plane. While I would have preferred retracts, I like the simplicity of a plane that I don't have to worry about retracts. Lately, it seems the retracts on my planes are always needing something. The fixed gear on the EC-1500 don't look as terrible as the fixed gear hanging down on a WW2 fighter either. I can be perfectly ok with the fixed gear. The USCG scheme also looks fantastic. Since crossing off the C-130 from my "future plane list", I could see going to the EC-1500 instead.

Comment

Got mine put together and ready to maiden possibly this weekend. It’s a lot bigger in real life than what it looks like in the videos. Just love those big, fat fuselages.

Comment

Run it up to full throttle a few times while still on the ground, make sure the props are on good;-) You'll love it in the air.

JB

Comment

Run it up to full throttle a few times while still on the ground, make sure the props are on good;-) You'll love it in the air.

JB
                                      I noticed that the prop nut was hard to get tight. Turning it just turned the whole motor shaft. Will check it.

Comment

I added a Flytron strobe to the bottom of mine. They are very bright and add to the realism during those dusk flights. I put it to the test this evening at sunset.

Comment

Working...
                                        X