X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightline P-51D 850mm ESC not binding

I am a new flyer, just got my P-51D put together. The servos for the controls work, but the ESC is not bound. I've used the binding instructions on the website for binding the ESC to my Futaba 6J6 transmitter, but when I plug in the battery, I get the cell count beeps and the armed confirmation; not the 2 quick beeps needed to bind the transmitter and ESC. Has anyone else had this problem? Thoughts or instructions?

Turn off any 2.4 ghz WiFi or other 2.4 ghz computer peripherals in the house. Then attempt the binding process.

Or do the binding at least 200 ft from any building, which should be far enough from any 2.4 ghz system to allow your TX in bind mode (low power output) t be the strongest signal at the RX which is within 10 ft of the TX during binding.

Some 2.4 ghz devices are "not nice" about sharing the band. I have a few of them that can interfere with a 2.4 ghz RC system, preventing binding, but once bond, the RC system works fine when these devices are operating... except for an early 2.4 ghz video system that can cause complete loss of control of an RC model that uses 2.4 ghz. (and it wipes out my WiFi if I have it turned on)

The RX being flooded with many signals can be having a hard time picking out the TX to identify it for binding. Once bound it has a specific code at the end of each data packed to look for and it ignores any packet without that tag.

REMOVE THE PROP from the model while having binding issues and until you have verified and set any servo/channel reverse.

If you had to reverse throttle, bind again with the throttle set to 0, to ensure the RX will g to 0 throttle if it can not find the TX when you plug in the model's battery.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I tried that and still cannot get any throttle. Maybe I'm not doing something right, something on the transmitter isn't set right, or whatever. I just don't understand.

Comment

On one of my new models I had this issue. Turned out one of the motor plug wires come unplugged during shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoadam84 View Post
          I am a new flyer, just got my P-51D put together. The servos for the controls work, but the ESC is not bound. I've used the binding instructions on the website for binding the ESC to my Futaba 6J6 transmitter, but when I plug in the battery, I get the cell count beeps and the armed confirmation; not the 2 quick beeps needed to bind the transmitter and ESC. Has anyone else had this problem? Thoughts or instructions?
          Not quite sure what to think. You say you get the cell count beeps and your control surfaces work. Does the motor spin? Maybe on this model, the beeps aren’t what you may be told it should be. Check your throws and do a range check and if that all works out, I don’t see what else you need.
          Also, the transmitter binds to the receiver, not the ESC. The ESC initializes and makes the motor beep.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoadam84 View Post
            I tried that and still cannot get any throttle. Maybe I'm not doing something right, something on the transmitter isn't set right, or whatever. I just don't understand.
            Do the other controls work?

If yes, you have an ESC programming or other ESC and motor system related issue.

It might be as simple as needing to cycle the throttle stick TWICE...

With the prop removed, turn on TX, then the airplane.

Once the other controls respond to the TX:

Slowly move the throttle crm minimum t maximum. Wait 5 seconds, then move it back to minimum, wait 5 seconds and repeat.

If the issue is the ESC looking for that cycling of the throttle, it will start responding after that (or during the second cycle from low to high and back to low)

Always diagnose RX and ESC/motor issues with the prop removed. This is to keep you from looking like you were fed to a wood chipper.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Sorry, I overlooked that part where you say you still don't get any throttle response. Further thoughts ............................. You didn't program in a throttle cut did you and forget that it's active? Is your throttle trim at the bottom? The ESC may see the throttle as being too high and won't arm. Some Eflite models are like that (as are others). Try re-binding with throttle trim as low as it will go. You should also do a throttle calibration once that's out of the way. Like has been said, remove the prop.

Comment

you need to calibrate your esc

Comment

Working...
                X