Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Spitfire 2000mm ARF Discussion Thread

Product Page: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ire-2000mm-arf

This is the Official Thread for the Black Horse 2000mm Spitfire. Here you will find video, photos, tips and tricks and mods from fellow flyers from our Motion RC customer family.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Now U got my attention BH
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The availability of a ready made for electric set up is excellent.....nice to see a large Balsa Spitty that won't need all kinds of modifications for electric!!

Comment

We're so happy to finally be able to put this bird on the website. Earlier this summer I fell in love with it at the factory. It looks great, is well engineered, and has the right balance of scale looks, usability, size, and presence. Black Horse's new style of surface printing is also well done. With each new model there are notable improvements.

More info to come, stay tuned!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Saw where James had posted this on FB. I said it there and I'll say it here... this absolutely looks to be the holy grail of RC Spitfires.

Comment

andrew_flyguy I agree, this Spitfire is quite a treat. Here's a slightly clearer photo I took showing the multi-layered process that Black Horse has been refining for certain recent models. None of the "fading" is applied afterward with airbrushes. Instead, the gradations are the result of many, many layers of low opacity colors screen-printed on top of one another. I think it is tastefully done and blends well, even for such a large bird. Some minor tweaks followed after I took these photos, but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05941.JPG
Views:	7017
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	224182

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Nice plane. This is second Spitfire released recently in a gray & green scheme by a manufacturer. Can someone do a Battle of Britain, brown and green color scheme for a change?

Comment

That would require them to make an earlier mark, which would mean a shorter nose... making it tougher to balance without more nose weight. That’s part of why most ARFs are Mk.IX’s - they had longer noses to accommodate later versions of the Merlin.

I agree though, a MK.II balsa ARF would be nice! To me anyway, it’s more of the iconic Spitfire.

Comment

Hey guys, look what just came in! This is a serious box!

Name:	IMG_20200113_221817.jpg
Views:	5796
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	227797

I will be opening this box and going through its contents LIVE on your new Friday weekly live YouTube show. If anyone has any questions about this one that you want to make sure I cover, by all means, head over to this thread here and ask away

Comment

Hi

looks almost like mine...
                    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mm-33cc-BH-136

http://www.blackhorsemodel.com.vn/?p...36-spitfire-mx

grts Hans

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...questions-here
                    https://youtu.be/A6BbzgK7nIE Hello Pilots, on this Friday's show, we will be unboxing the new 78" Spitfire ARF Kit (https://www.motionrc.com/collections/black-horse-rc-airplanes/products/black-horse-spitfire-2000mm-arf) and more. If you have any questions you would like better answered about this product or about

Comment

Originally posted by timmybeetle View Post
                      TB, Welcome to Hobby Squawk and please post pictures of your build process. Great looking model of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed in my opinion. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

The colors along with the weathering and detail on the covering is amazing on this plane. It would be just mind blowing if they could ever put a covering like this on foam planes. Balsa is not for me but these Black Horse planes are well done and I appreciate all the work that went into them.

Comment

I ordered this plane yesterday. It will probably be a while before I can build it, but I will do my best to share progress and ideas. I'll use a 160 size electric motor, talon 120a HV ESC, and I'll replace the air retracts with a set of JP electrics. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
                            I ordered this plane yesterday. It will probably be a while before I can build it, but I will do my best to share progress and ideas. I'll use a 160 size electric motor, talon 120a HV ESC, and I'll replace the air retracts with a set of JP electrics. Cheers.
                            C20, Wow! Very Nice and Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Sir. Will you still use the OEM Struts? Which Prop configuration? 3-Blade. I'm thinkin'. Looking forward to seeing your build. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

C20, Wow! Very Nice and Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Sir. Will you still use the OEM Struts? Which Prop configuration? 3-Blade. I'm thinkin'. Looking forward to seeing your build. Best, LB

Most of these things I will just figure out as I go, it is my intent to use the OEM struts but in case there are any compatibility issues with the retracts I already own, I have some other struts that I might substitute. I would absolutely love to do a three blade configuration, this plane cost so damn much that it's worth doing it right. I'm a little concerned about my motor being on the low end of the power range for this plane, so I might just do some thrust tests and go with the propeller that gives me the best results and sacrifice a little scale fidelity. I used it on another plane that weighed a little more than this one, and I used a 20 by 10 on that one and it pulled that plane around with ease so it's possible a three blade might work. I also think this time around because of the value of the airframe, I'll use a BEC with a dedicated battery. Better safe than sorry. This ESC has a BEC built in, but you just never know.

Comment

I have started going thru the box that James opened yesterday and have to say that pictures don't do it justice. This is a beautiful airplane. I started to weigh each item as I opened. Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Box.jpg
Views:	5668
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	232107

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	5581
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	232108
                                Comes with three back plates for firewall mount. DLE, OS and standard 30cc mount. Engine weights 2lb 13 oz, ignition box 4.6oz, motor mount 7.6 oz, muffler .6 oz, spark plug .6 oz, OS/ DLE firewall .6 oz and the 30cc firewall is 1.0 oz

Name:	Fuse.JPG
Views:	6008
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	232109
                                Fuse weights in at 2 lb 10.6 oz without the cowl. Cowl is 8.2 oz.

Name:	Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	5592
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	232110
                                Landing gear looks to be sturdy and comes with everything you need to plumb.
                                Struts (pair) 13.4 oz, air tank 2.6 oz, tail wheel assembly 3.0 oz, retract hardware 4.4 oz, airline is 1.8 oz, wheels (not pictured) 5.8 oz,

Name:	Hardware.jpg
Views:	5581
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	232111
                                Hardware package comes in one baggie separated into each "system." Total hardware package weighs 7.6 oz.

Name:	Wing.jpg
Views:	5596
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	232112

Each wing weights 1Lb 14.4 oz

Not pictured. horizontal stab and elevator 8.2 oz and rudder 2.0 oz

Comment

Thanks so much for jumping in here Jason( jasmiller ) - So excited to see the progression of this beauty

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	spitfire mk IX at flying field.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	232187
                                    Building,
                                    Keep posting some more pics,
                                    I build also BH136 Spitfire, see my build on RCgroups link posted in previous post.
                                    I use a DLE30, but to set my CG I needed almost 1kg lead.
                                    So tail should be as light as possible, if I new it before I removed as much balsa,plywood from tail.....
                                    Flying it is easy it flies almost as a trainer, it has a lot of lift.
                                    I converted to electric retracts, using only struts and wheels from kit.
                                    Only after some flight I had a hard landing and stock wheels broke, plastic is not that strong.
                                    Good luck with building this beautiful plane.
                                    grts Hans

ps I see that struts looking better quality than in my KIT

for builder jasmiller: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...057#post232057

Comment

Originally posted by timmybeetle View Post
                                      Click image for larger version Name:	spitfire mk IX at flying field.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	232187
                                      Building,
                                      Keep posting some more pics,
                                      I build also BH136 Spitfire, see my build on RCgroups link posted in previous post.
                                      I use a DLE30, but to set my CG I needed almost 1kg lead.
                                      So tail should be as light as possible, if I new it before I removed as much balsa,plywood from tail.....
                                      Flying it is easy it flies almost as a trainer, it has a lot of lift.
                                      I converted to electric retracts, using only struts and wheels from kit.
                                      Only after some flight I had a hard landing and stock wheels broke, plastic is not that strong.
                                      Good luck with building this beautiful plane.
                                      grts Hans

ps I see that struts looking better quality than in my KIT

for builder jasmiller: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...057#post232057
                                      She's a good looking airplane. Than You for sharing the link to your build. As the build progresses you will notice some some updated features.

Comment

Started on fitting the aileron & flap servos as well as hinges. All seems to fit really well. The servos hatches are pre-drilled. Just line them up and drill into the hardware once in place. I am not using the screws supplied, I like hex head screws better. As you can see I added the grommets to the servos and inserted the brass fitting. Notice the correct way to insert, I had been doing this wrong for a long time. Next I will be putting the hinges in place and attach the wing surfaces. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ail & Flap hardware.jpg
Views:	5574
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	232270

Name:	Ail & Flap pushrod.jpg
Views:	5528
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	232271

Name:	Drill servo hatch.jpg
Views:	5544