Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Just waiting on that prop!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by sfmadmax View Post

I have a 18x10, that i benched the motor with. It's the smallest prop the engine manual calls for and it moves a ton of air!

So i'm thinking tonight is the night, i mount the wings and get this thing to sit on the ground, i can take some pics if interested. From there I can see what the ground clearance is like. I have another prop that is the next step up, 19x10 ? And I can mount that for comparison.
        Here is a 19" prop. In a parked position, it has 8" of clearance and in perfectly horizontal landing position it has 5" of clearance. That means my 21" prop will have 7" and 4" of clearance, and I can live with that - especially if this bird lands with a bit of an alpha angle.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post

Here is a 19" prop. In a parked position, it has 8" of clearance and in perfectly horizontal landing position it has 5" of clearance. That means my 21" prop will have 7" and 4" of clearance, and I can live with that - especially if this bird lands with a bit of an alpha angle.
          Looks Good, and Sounds about right on the prop clearance. I just got settled after work. Glad you got that figured out.

I have a 18x10 prop on mine, it looks funny on such a big plane and figure I should return my 19" and get a 20x10. I'll ream and get it set on the jig and measure the RPM, between the two.

I did manage to get it started up last night with the 18x10 prop on the DLE35, i will say that prop has no problem at all moving the plane.

Comment

Just waiting on that prop!
            Good to see the kids involved!!!! keeping the hobby alive :)

Comment

• Cfreuen20 What kind of receiver did you use? Where did you mount it? I saw you mounted the on/off switch on the side. I'm doing the same. I will also drill a small hole for the ignition LED. i'm just trying to be creative where to put it. It glows RED when armed, I may just put it on the side next to the on/off switch and not overly worry about it.

Comment

Good to see the kids involved!!!! keeping the hobby alive :)
                I couldn't justify spending time at home playing with toys and not getting my kids involved. They're super into it, I'm thinking about getting the 5 year old on a simulator this year.

Comment

Cfreuen20 What kind of receiver did you use? Where did you mount it? I saw you mounted the on/off switch on the side. I'm doing the same. I will also drill a small hole for the ignition LED. i'm just trying to be creative where to put it. It glows RED when armed, I may just put it on the side next to the on/off switch and not overly worry about it.
                  I'm using an older spektrum ar9110 powersafe with 4 satellites. I ran 2 of them about halfway down the fuse towards the tail, and the other 2 are on each side of the motor box. It's mounted on that tray that screws in place above the servo compartment.

That tray makes changing batteries a tad annoying, but considering every time I take this plane to the field I will have to plug in my gear, flap, and aileron servos - it makes that part pretty convenient.

Comment

I'm using an older spektrum ar9110 powersafe with 4 satellites. I ran 2 of them about halfway down the fuse towards the tail, and the other 2 are on each side of the motor box. It's mounted on that tray that screws in place above the servo compartment.

That tray makes changing batteries a tad annoying, but considering every time I take this plane to the field I will have to plug in my gear, flap, and aileron servos - it makes that part pretty convenient.
                    Thanks,
                    Yea....

I hear ya there, I think pretty much I'm in good shape. I thought about adding MPX connectors to the wings, i've never done that before, and really don't want to have my first time be on 4 $40 servos.. but it looks extremely straightforward and i'm thinking about it.
                    I put masking tape marking the wires and made the leads relatively short so when i attach the wings its nice an neat. I think I can live with it too for now.

Gonna work on it a bit tonight. Ta..

Comment

• Was a nice day outside say i got er done....

I have a 18x10 Prop XOAR, I'm pulling about 1850 @ IDLE. Which I believe is fine for the DLE35RA break in, however, @ half throttle, i'm already revving at 6000. So i'm interested to know what a bigger prop may yield.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200331_163017015_HDR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	246066

I think I'll be able to get the RPMS a little lower once the engine is broken in.

Was thinking either the 20x8 or 20x10 ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200331_163213180.jpg Views:	0 Size:	311.8 KB ID:	246067

Comment

• I've read that these biela props suck for performance, but damn it looks good! This one is 21x10 and I'm happy with it's size and appearance. I still have 3"+ clearance on a level landing.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I needed a little nose weight, and I've been concerned about the airflow/cooling of my motor, so I came up with this silly solution. I couldn't vent the cowl in a way that gave me direct airflow to the motor - only the ESC. My hope is this brings cool airflow around the motor, and the vent hole creates a flow that pulls that air out past the ESC and out a hole in the rear of the cowl. It's all pretty well concealed.

Do you think it will work?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Even if it doesn't work it's bloody brilliant!

Comment

• Originally posted by downwind3zero View Post
                              Even if it doesn't work it's bloody brilliant!
                              Haha that's awfully generous of you to say, but I wouldn't go that far.

Anyways, I'm still waiting to maiden this beauty. It is fully capable of flying in it's current state, but our club runway is in horrible condition. We were due to have it re-sealed weeks ago, but Corona virus decided to be a dick.

In the meantime, it keeps forcing me to tinker. I fly a flex rv8 a lot, and it's so stable in the air - it just blows me away. It's the easiest plane I've ever had to land, so I went ahead and bought an aura 8 for this spit. I don't think it needs one, but having it in there to smooth out the bumps can't hurt. I'm also going to put a motion RC sound system in it. Hopefully this thing doesn't end up too heavy.

Comment

• I'm in the middle of a great read I think any of you Spit enthusiasts would enjoy. I have read a lot of military history, especially aviation related and especially of the RAF in WW2 and this memoir ranks amongst the very best. Rather than my trying to describe it here's a link to the Amazon page where I bought it (I read on a Kindle).
                                https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NJ9DRCX/...22412850_TE_DP
                                Tom

Comment

• I wasn't sure what to do with the extra aileron linkage cover that came in my kit, so I created a little cooling exhaust for me electronics. It can't hurt.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200429_071816.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	251993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200429_071144.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	251994
                                    I didn't like the look of the scoops, so I printed these grills, I think they turned out pretty well.

Comment

• My flying weight comes in around 18.5 to 19 lb, how does that compare to what others have gotten? I expected this thing to be around 17, but with all this Corona virus stuff forcing me to wait I just kept adding crap. Idle hands.

Comment

My flying weight comes in around 18.5 to 19 lb, how does that compare to what others have gotten? I expected this thing to be around 17, but with all this Corona virus stuff forcing me to wait I just kept adding crap. Idle hands.
                                        I didn't weigh mine yet. It's been sitting in the garage, i taxi'd it at the airfield a few weekends ago, it wants to go at 1/4 throttle. I still need to get the cowl sorted out, but i need parts from the hobby shop which hasn't been open. I supposed I could get them online, I've just been busy. I'll manage to get that weight in hopefully soon.

Comment

I didn't weigh mine yet. It's been sitting in the garage, i taxi'd it at the airfield a few weekends ago, it wants to go at 1/4 throttle. I still need to get the cowl sorted out, but i need parts from the hobby shop which hasn't been open. I supposed I could get them online, I've just been busy. I'll manage to get that weight in hopefully soon.
                                          No worries, I managed to get the maiden in this morning and that scorpion motor was so damn powerful - it left the ground with ease at half throttle. It behaved horribly when I got an airborne, it flew like it was really tail heavy even though I bounced it with the provided CG tool. When I was taxiing around, it seemed like it wanted to knows over so I scooted the batteries back a half an inch. I don't think that was enough to make a huge difference, but maybe it was. When it was in the air they wanted to roll right really bad and it was flying like a bronco, and I honestly thought I was going to dump it so I broke one of my personal rules - I turned on the gyro during a maiden. Fortunately the aura ate is a great little gyro and it smoothed the plane right out. I managed to get five or six minutes of some nice looking flying, and my landing went okay although I had a little bounce that twisted my strut loose. I didn't have the right tool to fix it, so that was my only flight of the day. The plane is in one piece, so I can't complain. I'm going to ditch the sound system, it didn't do enough for me and it's a way to save like half a pound or so. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X