• Show
Clear All

• Another
    Attached Files

Comment

• Have a a good maiden flight

Grts Hans

Comment

• Going to try the MotionRC stock power package via Admiral GP26 6330-245Kv Brushless Motor with ZTW Gecko 120A ESC OPTO High Voltage Brushless ESC...but will bump up the prop with at least a 19x11...not real sure of the 6s LiPo in series for 10s power....perhaps 6s 100c 8000mAh will work if not the 5s 100c 5200mAh will have to do. I am hedging against manufacturing shortages and the next price increases.....everything other airframe I had plans on aquiring are either not in stock, no longer available or already in a second price hike...so this bird at the current price range with the retracts and struts and immediate availability moved up in my que...78inches is not as big as 88inch wingspan but the flight reports and video's seem to indicate the flight performance makes up for the smaller size.

I am late ....but I am in

TwistedGrin
        Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 20, 2021, 07:34 AM. Reason: Stated (6s) / 12s by mistake !

Comment

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
          Going to try the MotionRC stock power package via Admiral GP26 6330-245Kv Brushless Motor with ZTW Gecko 120A ESC OPTO High Voltage Brushless ESC...but will bump up the prop with at least a 19x11...not real sure of the 6s LiPo in series for 12s power....perhaps 6s 100c 8000mAh will work if not the 6s 100c 5200mAh will have to do. I am hedging against manufacturing shortages and the next price increases.....everything other airframe I had plans on aquiring are either not in stock, no longer available or already in a second price hike...so this bird at the current price range with the retracts and struts and immediate availability moved up in my que...78inches is not as big as 88inch wingspan but the flight reports and video's seem to indicate the flight performance makes up for the smaller size.

I am late ....but I am in

TwistedGrin
          Hello

I have this one version 1
          1. you need all the weight up front to get CG right, so I fly with 10S ( 6S+4S serial), if you go 12S you need another motor.
          2. motor you are mentioning is at the lowest side, my plane weighs 8,4kg
          3. Its a great flyer

grts Hans

ps didn't you see this
          Product Page: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ire-2000mm-arf (https://www.motionrc.com/collections/new-airplanes/products/black-horse-spitfire-2000mm-arf) This is the Official Thread for the Black Horse 2000mm Spitfire. Here you will find video, photos, tips and tricks and mods from fellow flyers from our Motion RC

Comment

• 10:4 Hans - I mis-typed my power system it will indeed be 10s power train via (2) 5s 100C 8000mAh LiPo.....and yes your video is proof of how this aircraft can perform!!

The power system with this motor will not be near as strong as your Turnigy SK3 6374-192KV, However I have a 14lb (74inch Percival MEW Gull) aircraft powered by a Rimfire 1.60 250Kv motor spinning 20x10APC that spools up 2712Watts / 71.66aP which equates to about 193watts per pound. Hopefully the Admiral GP26 6330-245Kv will pull similar numbers via 10s.....the prop size and pitch will ultimately determine the power. I will try an XOAR-PJN 19x10 prop and run the numbers. If I can reach 150watts per pound it should pull this 15lb bird around OK.

I ran eCalc application but it did NOT match the real life readings of the other set up, calculated values were much higher than physical readings both 3211Watts and 91.30Amp draws....my field readings were much lower @ 2712Watts and 71.68Amps

I am hoping 10s LiPo 245Kv motor via 19x10 prop will be in my power reading range: 150Watts per pound

Will post up the imperical real life numbers once I get the bird and set up the power train for testing.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• I fly in the same configuration as Hans, mainly because I bought the model from him 🙂
              The motor is rated at 2750W and 10S maximum.
              I installed an 18" Varioprop, and when this was set at maximum pitch, the motor peaked at over 3200W. If this peak only occurs at takeoff, it shouldn't be a problem, but soon enough you start aerobatics, and my telemetry shows that I get a lot of these maximum throttle peaks during flight, and that started to be a concern to me.
              I now lowered the prop pitch slightly, and at maximum throttle I get around 2800W with a full battery, which is perfect.
              To be honest, I feel like it flies better now, and takeoff certainly is easier (less torque to counter). Another thing is that I get a lot less vibration noise, even at less than full throttle.
              For an 8,5kg model, this sort of power is plenty to perform scale-like aerobatics. Loopings and split-S are effortless, and I don't need it to be able to hover.
              I'm pretty happy with this power setup, and even more happier with the model itself. When I start flying, everyone at the club seems to stop whatever they are doing; even the guy that was mowing the lawn yesterday parked his mower when he saw me lining up on the runway. Maybe he just was afraid to get hit by this "beast" (as some like to call it) 🙂
              Only thing I'm still having some trouble with, is to get it to stop in time after landing: this thing just keeps floating, giving me late touchdowns from time to time.
              I setup the flaps as per manual, but I think it needs more flaps to get some decent braking on approach and landing. The real one has 85° of landing flaps for a good reason. Yesterday we had a crosswind, which does give some magnificent sights when you see a Spitfire approaching in crab, but it took me two attempts to get it down on the ground. But even on the second attempt, it touched down a little late again, and I overran our runway again, breaking one landing gear (again!). It sure has some inertia, and plenty of lift with those huge wings.

Comment

• Thanks for the data report HQ....sounds like this bird has a light wing load factor which is fine with me......will be interesting to see how the Watts and Amp peak values compare....not sure when I will be receiving this bird and able to start working on it.....so I may be a couple weeks out from being able to start on the assembly and set up

TwistedGrin

Comment

• MotionRC placed this aircraft on Sale $100.00 off from its original price as of 08-23-21....I guess if you were thinking, lurking, hesitating on this airframe....now would be a good time to purchase.

TwistedGrin
                  Last edited by TwistedGrin; Aug 24, 2021, 10:56 AM. Reason: Added tagline

Comment

• Finally got a chance to maiden mine,
                    So my COG set at 100mm from leading edge with empty tank. 8kg no fuel
                    Ground handling and take off easy with with minor rudder input to keep her straight. Long scale take off with plenty of airspeed

The plane itself flies nicely, 2 clicks of right aileron trim and was flying straight.
                    I`m still having a few issues with my retract controller, 1 wheel sticks halfway up and has to be cycled again for it to go up all the way (Electric retracts)

The DLE 35RA hesitated a few times so didn`t push my luck, i feel the power was down a little. Using an 18 x 10 prop
                    No sign of ballooning with full flaps and landing approach was gentle with good elevator control. I could have landed a bit slower but was fairly nice.

Will remove the cowl and recheck tuning this week
                    Nice kit but keep it in the shade while not flying, was 30 degrees C yesterday and the covering was starting to wrinkle after about 10 min

Ian

Comment

• Congrats on the maiden flight, Ian!
                      When you talk about "full flaps", how much is that?
                      I don't have to worry about 30 degrees here, summer's over and we're already happy with anything over 20 😊

Comment

• Hi Hanger Queen,

Full flaps is only about 45 degrees at the moment. Will increase it once i get a better feel for the aircraft.
                        Turns out my fuel was stale, this I discovered after quite a few waisted hours of retuning, removing and checking fuel tank, swapping ignition. I blame COVID for this.

I run an automotive repair business and i get more stress from this hobby than i do from work.
                        Life was so much easier when I concentrated on fishing.

Has anyone else had issues with the electric retract controller?

Ian

Comment

• Hy Ian

Issue with retract controller, what's the problem?
                          My flap settings, I fly with them for several years now.
                          Half flaps
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	BH136 Spitfire Half Flaps.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	324859
                          Full flaps

Name:	BH136 Spitfire Full Flaps.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	324860
                          Grts Hans

Comment

• Hi Hans,

Once again thanks for your information about this model, your COG recommendation was perfect.

Will set my flaps up similar to yours.

This is my second Black Horse model , the Mustang flies just as well but doesn`t seem as popular.

I can find no information about the retract controller, every 4th cycle up the LH retract only closes half way
                            There are no reset buttons, just a 2S plug for power source and pin plugs for retracts. Not a real problem, just annoying

Hopefully try it again Sunday
                            Supposed to be warm again,

Hanger Queen,
                            In Summer our temps can be in the mid 30s with high humidity. I try and fly my Gas planes early
                            I have had a few problems with closed cowling aircraft especially with rear carb engines ( DLE) cutting out on the ground
                            On Hot days. I start them, taxi out, take the engine to full throttle and then take off. Once in the air with the airflow they are fine

Thanks again
                            Ian

Comment

• I can find no information about the retract controller, every 4th cycle up the LH retract only closes half way
                              There are no reset buttons, just a 2S plug for power source and pin plugs for retracts. Not a real problem, just annoying

Hopefully try it again Sunday
                              Supposed to be warm again,

Thanks again
                              Ian

[/QUOTE]

Ian

About retract controller, I have identical.
                              Make sure that retract is operating without binding.
                              These retract controllers are current limit in there operation.
                              So if retract is using to much current they will stop, same thing when they are fully closed ore open.
                              There is also a version with higher amp draw.

https://www.jphobby.eu/en/sequencer-...0-version.html

https://www.jphobby.eu/en/sequencer-...-jp-hobby.html

Regards Hans

Name:	sequencer-retract-box-v2-for-landing-gear-jp-hobby-er-150-version.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	324898

Name:	sequencer-retract-box-er-120-v2-for-landing-gear-jp-hobby.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	324899

Comment

• Ok Thanks,

I think the first thing ill do is swap left retract plug with the right.
                                if the same retract stops i know its the retract binding.

Ian

Comment

• I have made great progess with my assembly of this ARF....1. I have moved the box out of the barn ; 2. I have opened the box and set in in the office; 3. I have removed the fueslage and set it on a build stand.; 4. I have the assembly guide on my assembly table. Should be finished by January.

Name:	IMG_4176.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	325686

Comment

• Good luck Twisted Grin
                                    It is a fairly straight forward build
                                    just read some of the earlier posts in this thread. And i recommended Hans's Cog
                                    of 100mm from leading edge.
                                    Havent had a chance to fly mine again
                                    Weather has been bad.
                                    For some reason my retracts seems to be working fine now. I cycled them about 20
                                    times on the weekend without an issue.
                                    I guess its waiting for me to fly again to play up.

Ian

Comment

• Originally posted by North14 View Post
                                      For some reason my retracts seems to be working fine now. I cycled them about 20
                                      times on the weekend without an issue.
                                      I guess its waiting for me to fly again to play up.

Ian
                                      Hey Ian

Maybe when flying retract is binding due to wind from airspeed?
                                      I have some lube ( from my race-bike chain, dry lube * will not attract contaminants ) on them to lubricate parts that moving in retract unit.
                                      Let us know when you have some update regarding yours retract issue.

Greetings Hans

Comment

• Captains log-Spitfire date 10-02-21 1:00pm CDT: Ailerons and Flaps install completed. Cut down one end of the flap inboard and center pin hinges for fitment and movement

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Managed to fly mine again this morning
                                          The DLE 35 had much more power and Im happy with the overall performance.

I have taken off the right side exhaust stack allowing access to carby adjustments and letting heat out of cowling.

My retracts worked fine but i cycled them a dozen times before flying.
                                          Full flaps now at 75mm i have no elevator flap mix, not required. Landing was easy
                                          a slight bounce but the struts seem to be very stiff, might put a softer spring in.

I did rake my landing gear forward
                                          but might go a little more. Our field hasnt been mowed for a couple of weeks due to bad weather and taxing the back wheel was bounces a fair bit even on full rates and full up elevator.

Once again Cog is good, inverted it drops the nose a bit motre than id like but overal flying and landing is perfect. I think this plane is going to be a favourite.

Or a least till the next project

Ian

Comment

Working...
                                          X