Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a composite tip for anyone that dreads carbon fiber work. The piece I used was cut diagonally so it laid down easily. The resin was mixed and poured in the bag forcing air out helped spread the epoxy with the resin bottle like a rolling pin. Trimming the 4 edges makes removing one side of the bag easy exposing the wet layup and the other side of the plastic bag being used to handle the cloth and it will stay on until it cures. Additional pressure applied to the engine mount forced out air making a good bond. I brushed some excess resin onto the wood in the corners before putting it in place.

Comment

Pics

Comment

The next day the plastic is removed leaving a weave full of epoxy no sanding needed. The front of the engine mount got filled with micro ballons and epoxy.

Comment

The cooling ring got glued in today after remounting the engine. Just spot glued in place with cardboard spacers over each head then with the cowl off a small fillet both sides with the 30 minute stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Charlieoneseven I'm curious, The Moki Engine, did it come with a template to drill the holes for the mounts so that the engine would be center? Did you make that baffle by yourself that you used to fit it in the cowl?

Comment

No to both I used a cardboard ring for the engine bolt pattern and ordered the baffle from Vogelsang Aeroscale.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlieoneseven View Post
                No to both I used a cardboard ring for the engine bolt pattern and ordered the baffle from Vogelsang Aeroscale.
                Thanks!

Comment

I had the BH Fw-190 come into my workshop noyt that long ago for a bit of a look see and measure up. Very light for it's size. I have been nothing but impressed with Blackhorse's building techniques of late.

Overall the finish is ok for an ARF. Without taking to it with a scale 3-view, I think the overall shape is not too bad, there is something not quite right with the gun troughs in the cowl and the gun hood lines could have been done much better. The Kit comes with a sliding canopy but the way they have done it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of scale. It's going to be interesting to try and fix/hide it.

The landing gear is a bit meh, I think they will be strong enough to do the job, but they do look a little cheap and nasty, and overall about 50mm shorter than the sierra 1/4 retracts which themselves are another 10-15mm shorter than scale at my rough measurements, but considering they come with the kit for the price...... bang for buck she is definitely very impressive. A set of sierras and wheels is is not that much less than the cost of this entire kit with the landing gear included!!

Lengthwise for the fuse she is roughly the same size as my ESM Fw-190D, maybe the A has a couple more inches in length only, but she is significantly larger fuse diameter as would be expected. width of the cowl at the firewall is a whopping 330mm!!

This one is powered by an EME120,, and is ready for it's maiden... the next 3 coming in will be powered by the new DLE-130. these flop about in the cowl its so big. I think it will be waaay to much engine for this model but hoping to use the excess power to spin a bigger prop. looking in the region of a 27-28" 3-blade with the 130's. Scale would be in the 32" range so should look the part.

Time will tell how the covering holds, but if the blackhorse giant scale spitty is anything to go by

Very tempted to strip and glass from the outset and try make it look a little more decent. I actually think it can be made to be a very decent looking model if the time is taken on the exterior. Those holes in the flap structure will sure add a fair bit of time to fill in.

You have have to throw included spinner as far as you can to start with though!! just a shocking waste of time to include that. We are going to have 4 spun up locally for them.

Keen to hear some flight reports for this model because there is very little info on the net on this one, and even less video!

thanks

dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave, I hear you about some of the parts looking off. I would like to have a better spinner the prop bolts wanted to breakout on the backplate lightening holes. The plywood is not as hard as birch and I might zap a lot of it in the cut and mating joints. The Home Depot is selling the same plywood made in Viet Nam. I made my plane stands from it. The flaps I would use fabric coverite and paint. Adding weight aft of the c of g is rarely justified.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up about the softness of the engine firewall. Adding glass/carbon is well justified then. Might have to look at doing the same myself. The next 3 kits are due to arrive in about 3 weeks time, and one of those will be mine.

I am working with a local guy who spins up the spinners and then machines backplates up to suit. He has a very scale shape for it now. He is just waiting for me to give him the final dimensions for the distance we need from the back of the prop to the back of the spinner and he will start manufacturing the first ones.

In the mean time I have started making an engine test run stand to run in the new DLE's. Would love to go the Moki option but maybe next time... unless I stopped playing with turbines... :D

How far are you from having yours ready to fly?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Flying who knows, engine first run next month all servos are in just need to finish pushrods and fuel.

Comment

Nice!

well looking forward to seeing how you progress while I wait for the others to arrive.

I have a set of sierra's here and will have a look to see how much work it would be to install them into this model. I suspect it will not be all that straight forwards seeing as they are about 50mm longer than the stock offerings.

Thanks

dave

Comment

Just watched the YouTube opening of the zero and P40 .Please do the same for the FW190 .nice warbirds !

Comment

I am really surprised at the total lack of information or media for this model..! Still a couple of week before they arrive in country and clear customs, then another week or so to make the trip north I'd imagine.

Comment

ticketec All of our inventory sold quickly before we could capture more media, and apparently all but one were purchased by customers who don't post on Hobby Squawk. The smaller aircraft (micros) and larger aircraft in our portfolio (800 helicopters and 70“+ Balsa) tend to sell to people who aren't forum people.

Hopefully the hundreds of Guests lurking the forums every day, many of whom I'm sure are customers, will share their experiences with these models with the rest of us.

Until then, we're adding information at our own pace as it becomes available.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by ticketec View Post
                                  I am really surprised at the total lack of information or media for this model..! Still a couple of week before they arrive in country and clear customs, then another week or so to make the trip north I'd imagine.
                                  What specifically would you like to see as I can post photos as we move along with the build? This model was received in limited quantities so customer input may be limited however I can provide you with whatever information I can. As a reminder Motion RC Customer Service does not monitor HobbySquawk so if you have a question please contact them by phone 1-224-633-9090 or 24/7 at https://www.motionrc.com/pages/email-pre-sales-question This way you will receive immediate attention to your inquiry and not have to wait on a HobbySquawk post. As James pointed out in an earlier post assembly really is quite basic and nothing complicated. If you have not installed Pin Hinges before you can find some good information at this Link. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...Hinge.pdf?2082 In the past I have used Epoxy to install these however if you do you will need to put a dab of Vaseline or fine oil on the hinging section but be careful to not get any on the portion the glue will adhere to. For this model I used Gorilla Wood Glue the non foaming type and was extremely pleased with the results. Any excess was easily trimmed away with an xacto knife as a bit of it did ooze out onto the hinging section. I will post photos of the Cowl Dimensions for those who may be trying to determine a power plant for this model. I will monitor this Thread as I move along on the build but if you need immediate attention please contact the Customer Service Team and let them know and we will do our best to provide you with that in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by StormyDog1962 View Post

What specifically would you like to see as I can post photos as we move along with the build? This model was received in limited quantities so customer input may be limited however I can provide you with whatever information I can. As a reminder Motion RC Customer Service does not monitor HobbySquawk so if you have a question please contact them by phone 1-224-633-9090 or 24/7 at https://www.motionrc.com/pages/email-pre-sales-question This way you will receive immediate attention to your inquiry and not have to wait on a HobbySquawk post. As James pointed out in an earlier post assembly really is quite basic and nothing complicated. If you have not installed Pin Hinges before you can find some good information at this Link. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...Hinge.pdf?2082 In the past I have used Epoxy to install these however if you do you will need to put a dab of Vaseline or fine oil on the hinging section but be careful to not get any on the portion the glue will adhere to. For this model I used Gorilla Wood Glue the non foaming type and was extremely pleased with the results. Any excess was easily trimmed away with an xacto knife as a bit of it did ooze out onto the hinging section. I will post photos of the Cowl Dimensions for those who may be trying to determine a power plant for this model. I will monitor this Thread as I move along on the build but if you need immediate attention please contact the Customer Service Team and let them know and we will do our best to provide you with that in a timely manner.
                                    Thnaks for your response.

Didn't need any details in particular, I've already had a good look over one of these and relatively easy access to the model again if needed. I just surprised there is no flying video from blackhorse themselves. I wanted to see how the model performs with the DLE111, because I get the feeling that they will be very overpowered with the 130. I also wanted to see how the model performs in flight generally.

Looks like they have changed the wheels from the original factory pictures??

Anyways, post away pic's as you progress if you can as it will help pass the time with the corona lockdown. I'll get the first runs of the DLE130 tomorrow.. slowly doing what we can to prepare for the arrival of the model.

Comment

Use the throttle stick to handle excessive power and go for it if you intend on a 3 blade prop!

Comment

Sorry for my slow build been a bit distracted with Felicity. The gear is getting restricted out of the valve so they will fold independently and quick disconnects for the wing connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlieoneseven View Post
                                          Use the throttle stick to handle excessive power and go for it if you intend on a 3 blade prop!
                                          That's exactly what i will do, but some of the other guys I fly with don't know about having a throttle channel, they seem to only have a throttle on/off switch :D

On a more serious note, torque swing on takeoff is another killer to be weary of. mate of mine just killed his Comparf P-51 because of it and his almost non existent use of rudder. If these Fw are really overpowered all this becomes a far more serious problem quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X