Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for first warbird

Today, 09:36 PM
    I’m new to RC planes and currently I am flying a horizon hobby carbon cub I have never flown a plane before this I also get a lot of simulator time about an hour a day and have flown in calm, breezy and windy conditions and now I am looking to buy a warbird I am looking at eflite p39 and the eflite p51, I like the idea of the safe but don’t want to use it as a crutch, I haa a be been flying in beginner mode in the windy elements, am I on the right path or should I look at another bird

Originally posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
    I’m new to RC planes and currently I am flying a horizon hobby carbon cub I have never flown a plane before this I also get a lot of simulator time about an hour a day and have flown in calm, breezy and windy conditions and now I am looking to buy a warbird I am looking at eflite p39 and the eflite p51, I like the idea of the safe but don’t want to use it as a crutch, I haa a be been flying in beginner mode in the windy elements, am I on the right path or should I look at another bird
    LOL, sounds like we have a lot in common. I started with the Carbon Cub S also after buying a simulator from Horizon. Previously, had a cheap little "Beaver" that I flew and crashed, fixed, flew...I spend 30 mins a day at lunch flying on the simulator. Flew a lot of planes they had and learned how to land and stunt. P51, jets too and the B25 bomber. After months on the simulator, I ventured to fly my Carbon Cub. First in safe mode but migrated to turning it to expert mode. I haven't used the number 2 mode for awhile although it does help when doing an approach for landing. If its windy, its in 2. So I got a P38 in Dec. I finished it in December and have not flown it. I upgraded the landing gear and added a paint D Day style to it. That plane I do not want to crash. I am not ready just yet as I want more time with the B25. Although I run it out of fuel all the time and have to glide it down, I figured its close to the P38. I fly the T5 trainer, P51 on the simulator too for reflexes. I set the transmitter to the low switch since they can get squirrel y sometimes when going fast.
    My only crash was with my Carbon Cub. Yes, I had some near misses with it but one day the battery fell out while in flight. The strap that holds the battery, broke. I tighten it a lot to keep the battery from slipping back on forth but it broke and down she went. Of course I fixed it and still fly it with a new strap. one used for wire bundling from Lowe's with velcro. I now have velcro on the battery and plane so it doesn't slip and the new strap.
    The new P38 is ready to fly now but I am waiting for a good no wind type day. If it flys like the B25, no problem but if it doesn't, I want to make sure I have good control of it for landing. The plane weighs 9ish pounds so I do not want to hit the tarmac too hard. No wind means a light feather landing first maiden flight. Its the best excuse I can use. LOL

Comment

While not the most detailed or advanced, the Parkzone Wildcat is one to put on the short list for a first warbird. It is affordable, well proven, hand launches and belly lands easily, and is a warbird. You will want something forgiving and affordable to start with and best to avoid retracts and flaps. My first warbird was the Hobbyzone Corsair S, which was the old Parkzone Corsair with a SAFE receiver and new paint scheme. Awesome flying plane and I still love flying it. I get the warbird looks without warbird money and complexity.

Comment

I think the FlightLine 1200mm Bearcat is also one of the better all-around warbirds out there. Very stable on the ground and in the air. While HH's Safe Select and gyro are nice, they still won't land the warbird for you, or make scale takeoffs that much easier.

Comment

The p39 is the pick of the horizon warbirds IMO. Tricycle landing gear, flies nice on 3s and 4s. Good turn of speed on the latter.Looks great in the air with that bright blue spinner. Bind it and fly.

That said, I think there's better value to be had with other brands.

Comment

both of your picks are fine. though the trike gear of the p-39 will make takeoff and landing easier.

joe
            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
              While not the most detailed or advanced, the Parkzone Wildcat is one to put on the short list for a first warbird. It is affordable, well proven, hand launches and belly lands easily, and is a warbird. You will want something forgiving and affordable to start with and best to avoid retracts and flaps. My first warbird was the Hobbyzone Corsair S, which was the old Parkzone Corsair with a SAFE receiver and new paint scheme. Awesome flying plane and I still love flying it. I get the warbird looks without warbird money and complexity.
              Sort of like flying the little Beaver Piper, I got bored with it, disabled the gyro, got bored again and bought the Carbon Cub S. I fly it often to this day and won the landing contest with my brothers a few weeks back. After flying upside down at 10 ft off the ground, I rolled it 180, cut the power and did a feather light landing while staying straight. I have been flying for longer than a year and have at least a thousand hours on the simulator. Time to move up from the Cub. So far, I like the construction of the P 38. Except the landing gear but that is upgraded with the kit. I am going to test them this weekend for calibration to the rudders. All that has to be checked. I am used to the retracts with the simulator planes so the flaps will be new. I am learning about them now although I use them on my brothers real plane to land.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I flew it on Sunday first two times was successful took it of beginner mode to intermediate and found that the plane reacts differently than it does on the simulator with that said the third time I flew it it was al going good and I was going to attempt to land in intermediate mode as I was approaching the runway I wasn’t comfortable landing in that mode and was going to switch to beginner and ended up doing a nose dive and had to make a trip to the hobby store to order some parts, I guess I need more time on pc and stay in beginner mode for awhile longer. But I think I will buy either one of the two that I stated earlier and that will motivate me to get better

Comment

It's a right of passage for a new pilot to upgrade from a trainer to a warbird before they're ready to do so. I don't want to say "don't do it" because that's exactly what I and many others did lol.

But seriously. Don't do it 😂

There's plenty of time to buy pretty, expensive planes after you've mastered the trainer!

Comment

What kind of transmitter and simulator are you using? What charging equipment and batteries do you have?

Comment

Thanks for the input, I flew it on Sunday first two times was successful took it of beginner mode to intermediate and found that the plane reacts differently than it does on the simulator with that said the third time I flew it it was al going good and I was going to attempt to land in intermediate mode as I was approaching the runway I wasn’t comfortable landing in that mode and was going to switch to beginner and ended up doing a nose dive and had to make a trip to the hobby store to order some parts, I guess I need more time on pc and stay in beginner mode for awhile longer. But I think I will buy either one of the two that I stated earlier and that will motivate me to get better
                      Spend more time on the simulator. It really teaches you to get used to flying with you hands, sort of like Xbot gaming. Yes, the simulator is different but it close. I use the Real Flight 8. Advantage? If I wreck on it, I hit the space bar. As an example, I used to crash often on it. Then, eventually, after flying almost all planes, would run them out of fuel. I have been on it for over a year. When I fly my Carbon Cub, I fly in expert mode which for 6 months wouldn't attempt it. But I practiced touch and goes all the time as landing in always the challenge. As I mentioned, if its real winding, I will land in the 2 setting but as a rule, its expert. After learning to do stunts on the simulator, I can fly upside down loop roll which is easy, its the landing and air speed that is always a challenge but months ago, I never would have thought I could fly inverted. Good luck and build confidence.

Comment

My second plane was a BNF Horizon Hobby PT17 (v2). Flies nice but has a rollover on the nose tendency on landing. It’s overweight so one has to fly it in.

My third plane to fly was a Tower Hobbies F6F hellcat. $100 when they had them, appear to be discontinued. By all accounts an easy warbird to fly but I tried a Lemon stabilizing receiver that was indeed a Lemon. Two brown out crashes and it no longer worked. I am not buying any more Lemon stabilizers. I have an unstabilized HK Orange In it now. Just need the warm weather to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post
                          My second plane was a BNF Horizon Hobby PT17 (v2). Flies nice but has a rollover on the nose tendency on landing. It’s overweight so one has to fly it in.

My third plane to fly was a Tower Hobbies F6F hellcat. $100 when they had them, appear to be discontinued. By all accounts an easy warbird to fly but I tried a Lemon stabilizing receiver that was indeed a Lemon. Two brown out crashes and it no longer worked. I am not buying any more Lemon stabilizers. I have an unstabilized HK Orange In it now. Just need the warm weather to try again.
                          I am in NC which means we have some good weekends I can fly on. If it gets cold, I fly with gloves on while I do it. High winds is a different animal. My Carbon Cub has a gyro in it although most of the time its turned off. I still set it up for SAFE but I have never used the auto land feature. Recently, turned off the virtual fence so most of the stuff is disabled. The only times I have ever crashed the plane was beyond my ability. Battery strap fails, battery falls out of hatch underneath and the tape on the ailerons failed. Hot day, plane in sun, get her up, plane comes down, ailerons only attached to the control rods. Fix plane damage, put hinges in place of tape.....what the ell. The tape pulled off of the paint and took the paint with it. Go into a hard bank and she spins to the ground. What is hanging from the wings....the ailerons. Its fixed now. The P 38 comes in and first thing, check to see if it had a hint of tape hinges, nope. Look forward to my maiden flight!

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

What kind of transmitter and simulator are you using? What charging equipment and batteries do you have?
                            I am using a Spectrum DXE which I use for my Carbon Cub S. I use the Real Flight 8 simulator on a 70 inch TV. Its still 2D but it works fine with me. They just came out with a RF 9 program that has the Carbon Cub S now but I can fly the plane pretty well. P-38? I hope that comes soon. Its nice to practice with a simulation of the plane you can buy on the market first to see if its good or not. Right now I practice with the B 25 bomber since its big, twin engine and big like the P 38. The simulator has a lot of different planes to fly then buy. Kind of cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                              It's a right of passage for a new pilot to upgrade from a trainer to a warbird before they're ready to do so. I don't want to say "don't do it" because that's exactly what I and many others did lol.

But seriously. Don't do it 😂

There's plenty of time to buy pretty, expensive planes after you've mastered the trainer!
                              I have, a Phoenix A26, the Blackhorse HE111, the Seagull Cessna 237 "Oscar Deuce" , the beautiful Flightline F7F, and a Horizon Valiant (I mistook for a trainer) and a Force P51 ……… So Far? I have managed 4 flights on my apprentice 😄😄😄 All still in their box, except the Valiant and my Apprentice.

Yep....it is a condition there is no treatment for......you can buy all the cool stuff you want...….the new FW and a Moki radial anyone??😆 Ya just don't unbox them until you are ready...….I prefer shelf aged models
                              Good luck mate

Comment

Originally posted by WAYNE888 View Post

I have, a Phoenix A26, the Blackhorse HE111, the Seagull Cessna 237 "Oscar Deuce" , the beautiful Flightline F7F, and a Horizon Valiant (I mistook for a trainer) and a Force P51 ……… So Far? I have managed 4 flights on my apprentice 😄😄😄 All still in their box, except the Valiant and my Apprentice.

Yep....it is a condition there is no treatment for......you can buy all the cool stuff you want...….the new FW and a Moki radial anyone??😆 Ya just don't unbox them until you are ready...….I prefer shelf aged models
                                Good luck mate
                                HA ..................… That sounds like my friend Mr. Paladin's philosophy of fleet expansion
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

HA ..................… That sounds like my friend Mr. Paladin's philosophy of fleet expansion
                                  HAY, HAY, I'M STOCKING UP FOR RETIRMENT. NO, NO. HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS, YA THATS IT.

jOE
                                  Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post

I too have the Tower F6F Hellcat with Lemon stabilized receiver. I love my Hellcat! Such an easy flying plane and looks so good in the air. Sad it is discontinued as it was such a good flying plane. I have the Tower P-51 as well, which is also a good flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post

I too have the Tower F6F Hellcat with Lemon stabilized receiver. I love my Hellcat! Such an easy flying plane and looks so good in the air. Sad it is discontinued as it was such a good flying plane. I have the Tower P-51 as well, which is also a good flyer.
                                      I wonder why they discontinued making them? I noted lot of discontinued planes lately but I am only a year back into this hobby. Hadn't really kept up with it in years. My brothers motivated me to get back into it. We built a lot of planes years ago and we crashed a lot of planes years ago too. I just wish my pop was around to see this flying. He was mostly a 130 pilot for 27 years. Aeronautical engineer. I think he would have enjoyed watch up fly these days. Glad EPO foam planes are easy to repair too.

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post

HAY, HAY, I'M STOCKING UP FOR RETIRMENT. NO, NO. HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS, YA THATS IT.

jOE
                                        exactly my thinking.....got a room FULL of boxed trains waiting for retirement. Been buying structure kits and stuff since the 80s and storing it......I just turned 65 in October, and pulled the plug January 1...….Now I just get to build models and play with planes until it is all someone else's problem **have a plastic model stack of about every airplane I ever liked. I need to live to 95 to get all this done.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X