X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
    the one spot rubbing in the robart hubs i definitely know the fix. if you have one spot that seams to not track with the rest of the wheel its because the rubber flange that is captured between the two hubs has pulled out slightly on one side. i found i had to completely remove the tire to push it back into the correct form. sounds like you have been experiencing some cross wind too.

joe
    Interesting. I have replacement E Flite P-51D OEM tires/wheels coming from HH today or tomorrow, I think I'm going to put them on the P-51 and try a few landings and takeoffs just to see where I am with ground handling with them. I'm going to pull the Robarts off the EFlite P-51 hubs and see what is going on with rubbing and movement of the tire on the wheel hub. I'll report back what I have found for flying the OEMs again and then maybe putting the EFlite hub/Robart rubber tire combination to see if I can eliminate the rubbing on the strut of the rubber tire.

thanks for your input. Wish we could be together to suss this out, probably wouldn't take long with two of us working on it, or at least You working on it!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Interesting. I have replacement E Flite P-51D OEM tires/wheels coming from HH today or tomorrow, I think I'm going to put them on the P-51 and try a few landings and takeoffs just to see where I am with ground handling with them. I'm going to pull the Robarts off the EFlite P-51 hubs and see what is going on with rubbing and movement of the tire on the wheel hub. I'll report back what I have found for flying the OEMs again and then maybe putting the EFlite hub/Robart rubber tire combination to see if I can eliminate the rubbing on the strut of the rubber tire.

thanks for your input. Wish we could be together to suss this out, probably wouldn't take long with two of us working on it, or at least You working on it!

Cheers

davegee
      Well, today's tests went much better than yesterday's. Yesterday, I put the hard OEM E Flite main wheels/tires back on the plane after some disappointing results using Robarts and a combination of Robarts tires and E Flite OEM wheel hubs. One flight I made a fairly sharp wifferdill to the left on takeoff (not enough right rudder!) and a bouncy landing that was caused by trying to make a more scale landing (two-point, tail low). I have made a lot of takeoffs and landings with this airplane, and the ground handling results are mixed, no matter what wheel combination I use.

I decided to go back to "square one" this morning, again with the OEM E Flite main wheels/tires. Knowing what I did wrong yesterday, today's results were much better. Had respectable takeoffs with using a LOT of right rudder while increasing power to takeoff setting. For landings, went back to my previously successful two-point, tail higher and then slowly bringing the tail down to continue the rollout.

I'll continue with the OEM wheel tests for now, and will periodically put the Robarts on to see how they do. For some reason, the Robarts that I have been using seem to have a slight "out of round" movement on the axle, for whatever reason. I think I'll get some brand new ones and start over with those tests, too. I have a Flightline Corsair with the Robarts on it, and ground handling, takeoff and landing runs are just wonderful, no problems.

Flying wise, still a wonderful plane, easy to fly scale maneuvers, very fun to fly on that count.

Cheers

davegee Click image for larger version

Name:	_CAM1096adjustedreduced size.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	318935

Comment

• davegee Have to say yet again really like your repaint. A perfect partner for your Corsair.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
          davegee Have to say yet again really like your repaint. A perfect partner for your Corsair.
          Thanks, Hugh, I appreciate your kind words. It was an inspiration I had from the commander of the 361st Fighter Group, Col. Thomas JJ Christian, Jr., lost while leading a dive bombing attack on a rail target in Northern France in August 1944. He sort of encapsulated the ultimate sacrifice for his country to me. I tried to make it as close as I could to the way his plane looked during that short period of time when he flew it that summer before the crash. The first E Flite model that I built is identical to this one and hangs in the Bottisham Air Field museum in England where I donated it. I got maybe 25 flights on that one before I decided to donate that model and buy a second one, which this one is.

Another one I enjoy flying besides the Corsair and the P-51 is an FMS P-47D I Wanted Wings/ Button Nose of the 56th Fighter Group. It was a total redo of the silver Pacific Theater markings that it came in. It flies great, and I usually take one of my eight or so airplanes almost daily in my truck out to the field early to fly before it gets too windy. My Freewing F-4N is up for tomorrow!

I hope you can get back up into the air soon with that crazy weather down there!

Cheers

Davegee Click image for larger version  Name:	220px-Thomas_Jonathan_Jackson_Christian_Jr.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	318998Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0566adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	318999

Comment

• Here is my Repaint guys... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	321391
            Attached Files
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Sweet looking repaint ... and the weathering really takes it to another level! Nicely done!

Comment

• Yeah, nice panel lines! And livery! e4dragongunner Is the silver paint from a can? It looks so good and consistent. I've been hesitant to try silver because it's seems hard to get it smooth and consistent across the whole airframe.

Comment

• Thanks guys... Yup rattle can for all the silver base... then Tamiya silver for the coat over the presided panel lines.
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                    Thanks guys... Yup rattle can for all the silver base... then Tamiya silver for the coat over the presided panel lines.
                    Looks great, e4dragongunner! I also like the improved pilot over the stock one that I'm currently using. Looks much better. I'm always into the history of these units, I take it this was an RAF squadron in WWII?

cheers

davegee

Comment

• hi guys been quiet 4 a wile.. i got me one of these coming 4 xmas.. ( mid december ) but its the fms version with green not blue.. luven my f4u,, but need a new challeng,, and toy... its the same plane in fmx box... so was hopeing 4 a cg throws etc,,, and i only have 6000 or 4000 packs... will6000 b ok thanx in advance.... I

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                        hi guys been quiet 4 a wile.. i got me one of these coming 4 xmas.. ( mid december ) but its the fms version with green not blue.. luven my f4u,, but need a new challeng,, and toy... its the same plane in fmx box... so was hopeing 4 a cg throws etc,,, and i only have 6000 or 4000 packs... will6000 b ok thanx in advance.... I
                        I can't even find any info on the FMS version of this plane but if you say it's the same as the Eflite version, Horizon does offer a downloadable manual for their version:

Can't say about if your batteries will work. It depends on their weight. I fly mine on a Gens Ace 5000, 6S, weighing about 725g and it sits in the battery tray entirely. If a battery weighs more than this, it will have to extend aft of the tray and hang into the compartment. However, if it has to hang too far back, the canopy won't close without carving some foam out of it.

Comment

• Hello viper.. thanx here is some pics.. coming from hong kong ,, where else has same 3 peice wing etc my zippy 6200 not much heavier we will see

Comment

• That's appears to be the same plane as Horizon's Eflite. I believe the Eflite manual will apply to your plane. Yes, Zippies are very light for their mah size. Even if it's as heavy as 800g, it should work.
                            You may want to check out parts of this thread regarding getting softer tires. The stock tires are hard as concrete and produces a very unwanted bounce on a hard runway. If you land on grass, it should not be that bad.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20211112_194258.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	329614 Its here.. didnt take long as i thought... olive drab instead of the blue is nice.... does not have quite the size presence as the fline corsair ( as u would expect) but i think its gointo hall arse.. my first fms plane .. nice qaulity. Its to wet here ,,all wend , so no maiden just yet.. im thinking very easy on the throttle, 4 take off...

Comment

• Maiden this puppy tday,,, only qaurter throttle to get airbourne... whatched pilot ryan to many times.. sure they do that so u can c its seious power... well it does great power... a bit more than my corsair... ithink not quite as stable in wind , bit lighter.. 6000 insted of 4000 lipo likely will help.. anyway just 1 flight flys well,, will reduce aileron,, a bit lands easy nervs out of way now.... lastly have the removal wingtips been reliable

Comment

• I've had no problems with my removable wing tips to date. Probably in the 40-50 flight range on the bird and I remove them Everytime I go the the field. No problems they clip in strong as ever still.

If they do get weak horizon has replacement clips for 6$ usd so that's a plus, but I have yet to see anyone have problems with them.

Comment

• Sorry to b a pain... anyone got a weight in grams,,, for a smart 7000 lipo.. my zippy 6200 is 880 grams... have seen the 7000 in this mustang

Comment

Sorry to b a pain... anyone got a weight in grams,,, for a smart 7000 lipo.. my zippy 6200 is 880 grams... have seen the 7000 in this mustang
                                      It’s published on the Horizon site:
                                      The 22.2V 7000mAh 6S 30C Smart G2 LiPo Battery: IC5 by Spektrum is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

Comment

• Hello squarkers,, have been doing my reasearch,, weathering the .p51.. painted silver drop tanks olive drab.... coooler..... but serious stuff,,, i grew up knowing about ww2 droptanks,,, i no u guys used them 4 in half that is,, salt racing... new to me is the paper tanks with a shillac or like to seal them.. they were filled with petrol ye ye gas halve hour b4 flight..... ... they did not leek gas 4 an hour or so,,, mostly out of gas by then,,, flying on main tank,,.... war brings enginuaty,,, spelling wrong in think.... here a pik of my was silver droptanks,, olive drab Click image for larger version

Name:	16390388292854271832996070208750.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	331918

Comment

Sorry to b a pain... anyone got a weight in grams,,, for a smart 7000 lipo.. my zippy 6200 is 880 grams... have seen the 7000 in this mustang
                                          Or if you can get them "Down Under", the SMC 8100'S 20C, weight 898gr. True 24C, higher than other 100C batteries. I fly them in my 90mm F16 with the upgraded 12 blade inrunner. Higher actual C than any Admiral.
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                          X