X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New E-flite P-51D 1.5

Anyone see the new E-flite P-51D Mustang 1.5 from HH? Its pricey but appears to be true to scale with plenty of power (6s), all the new tech, good size and snap on/off outer wings making it easily transportable which I really like. Its clearly made by FMS but does not seem to be a simple upgrade to their P-51 1450 v8. It won't ship until l mid-month but there are You Tube vids by Pilot Ryan and RC Geek who really like it. Despite the price, I'd seriously consider it but for the paint scheme. Apparently, its modeled after an actual WW ll fighter which was later sold to a private owner who restored and repainted it for the Airshow circuit. Why HH chose to replicate the show plane and not the combat livery is beyond me. IMHO, an iconic warbird should look like a warbird. Thoughts,comments?

I was directed to this by a friend and after looking at it carefully, I've concluded that it is very pricey in some respects, while very reasonable in other respects. I currently have the V8 FMS P-51 (1450mm), which I've modded up in several stages to get to the final product, which is very similar (powertrain wise) as this new P-51. Like many owners of the FMS plane, I've gone through pitch changes on the prop (zip tie mod), a slightly higher kv motor, an even higher kv motor and then ending up with the motor out of the FMS P-47 (6s power) and bigger ESC. Considering what I've spent so far, the price of this new one is a bargain. For those who want a P-51 like the one that many of us have spent years to perfect, I think they'll be OK with the price to not have to go through the same hassle. I guess Horizon has been watching all of our mods on this plane for years and finally came up with one that they think we'd all like and want. Considering that the current Jug costs $330.00, this new P-51 is quite a huge step in price, even though we're getting the fancy detachable wing tips, full SAFE and stability capability and a more stout motor that can drive a much bigger and pitchier prop**. I think many will think it's worth it but let's face it, $500.00 for a foamie P-51 is quite a lofty price point. Having said that and knowing how my current 6s P-51 performs, this new one should be a stunning performer. If I ever crash mine to pieces, I would consider one, but for now, I'm still very happy with the one I've got.

** As seen from Pilot Ryan's first take off, spinning a big, pitchy prop makes for a tail dragger like this a bit more difficult to drive straight down the runway. It takes a little finesse to prevent from driving it off the edge and into the rough, where many pilots will end up and make short their visit to the flying site if they don't know how to handle the situation. And it's these scenarios that could make this plane very pricey.

Comment

What do you think about the color scheme? It could be repainted, but at this point my skills are limited to touch ups and I'd be hesitant to take on a full repaint on a $500 plane. If it sells well maybe HH will follow the FMS lead and come up with some actual warbird schemes. One can always hope.

Comment

😏😏😏

Comment

The color scheme is "OK". A bit on the flashy side.

Comment

I'm going put this one down as a... Maybe.
            If it goes on sale, maybe I'll consider it.
            Best regards,
            Cris B.
            AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
            NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhet View Post
              I'm going put this one down as a... Maybe.
              If it goes on sale, maybe I'll consider it.
              Jot down what the price is now so you can remember it as the months go by. Take note that even though the plane is not even available yet, Horizon makes you think they’ve discounted it already. (Note the higher price that’s crossed out and the actual selling price. It’s a trick they picked up from Banana Hobby.) Horizon doesn’t generally put a “real” sale on a new plane for months and that might happen on Black Friday or other special promotion and even then, the discount on a newer model won’t be earth shattering. You could be waiting a very long time.
              If there ever is a significant discount, you can suspect that the product is about to be discontinued or the next version is just around the corner.

Comment

I watched Pilot Ryan and Bobby K. shakedown this model on Hanger Rats a few days ago. It's probably the Cadillac of all P51 Mustangs.

Comment

i agree the blue is crap ....good power thou do on off on off on off wings really work?????

Comment

Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                    i agree the blue is crap ....good power thou do on off on off on off wings really work?????
                    I think they work. The question is how many times will they continue to work well and when will the wingtips begin to come loose due to worn clips? My Fox Glider 3.0m has similar clips and even after a couple dozen ON/OFF cycles, they are much easier to snap into place. I fear it's a matter of time before they won't "snap" at all and out comes the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      Jot down what the price is now so you can remember it as the months go by. Take note that even though the plane is not even available yet, Horizon makes you think they’ve discounted it already. (Note the higher price that’s crossed out and the actual selling price. It’s a trick they picked up from Banana Hobby.) Horizon doesn’t generally put a “real” sale on a new plane for months and that might happen on Black Friday or other special promotion and even then, the discount on a newer model won’t be earth shattering. You could be waiting a very long time.
                      If there ever is a significant discount, you can suspect that the product is about to be discontinued or the next version is just around the corner.
                      The crossed out price is the MSRP and the sale price is MAP.
                      HH and others have been doing this for years and it can be deceptive if you don't know what to look for.
                      Most hobby sellers have been using MAP for pricing for quite a while now.
                      Best regards,
                      Cris B.
                      AMA#L945841, NASA#2845, JPO#2503,
                      NSRCA#4603, IMAC#7357

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                        What do you think about the color scheme? It could be repainted, but at this point my skills are limited to touch ups and I'd be hesitant to take on a full repaint on a $500 plane. If it sells well maybe HH will follow the FMS lead and come up with some actual warbird schemes. One can always hope.
                        The color scheme is accurate to one of the LouIV's that flies on the airshow circuit. There is another one that has the proper OD upper surfaces. I think there are at least 3 different P-51's that have the blue upper surfaces. LouIV, STANG, and one in Australia all have the same scheme. I always wondered why owners would restore their plane to something that wasn't used in the war, but if you have millions and own your own P-51, I guess you can do what you want.

If you wanted to make it a proper wartime LouIV, it is actually very easy. In fact, one of the easiest repaints out there. You just need one new national insignia for the upper wing and some Olive Drab paint. Everything that is blue is painted OD, which means you just need to mask around the blue and then get out the paint. Be sure to paint over the wing invasion stripes as LouIV never flew on D-Day. Install the national insignia back on the wing when you are all done. I would not be afraid of a repaint on this one. You will be adding paint over paint rather than bare foam, so that helps.

The scale details on the plane are very impressive. Even has the fuel lines coming off the drop tanks!

If I total up everything I have bought for my 1.2m P-51, I am quickly getting close to the price of the new 1.5m and I don't have gorgeous sequenced main gear doors or a rear retract. I also don't know if it will even work off of grass, which the 1.5m one does.

Comment

When I first saw the price my comment was no way, too much for a foam plane. I have several of the FMS 1450mm Mustangs that were in the $300 range. As others have already stated you can add $200 very quickly trying to upgrade the stock 1450mm setup.Aluminum backplate alone is $70 plus 6s compatible motor and you're already at the PNP E-Flite. Anyhow I did order a PNP for $450 so we'll see if it is worth the price difference.

Comment

Look what showed up today. its gorgeous !!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

more pics....
                              Attached Files
                              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Looks nice! Mine is showing delivery tomorrow. Is that the storage /workstand I've seen ads for on RCGroup?

Comment

I think so , Here you go.
                                  https://www.espritmodel.com/standbox...-solution.aspx

There is this one too...

Comment

that looks really good is the top of the wing that blue also?

I've had the hk stand for 4 years now and it is in the sienna 24/7/365 all that time and other than some delamming of the veneer it is still perfect. I glued the tubes in w shoe goo. this morning its being temp tested 1F

Joe
                                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Okay all you PNP guys..... how are you setting up your electronics? Are you using the AUX BEC cable and the ferrite cores? Got any photos?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                                        Thanks I thought so. Very tempted to try it out. I also saw the HK one awhile back, but was looking for something to hold the wings also.

Comment

Working...
                                        X