Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be difficult to beat Hangar 9 when they don't have the plane available!

Comment

So i finished the build. I was worried about the CG going electric and with good reason. I had to put every available thing in front of the firewall to get the CG to come out right. That includes both the retract battery and the receiver battery & ESC. i went with the biggest receiver battery i could fit just because i needed the weight. I also 3D printed the radial dummy engine and that added some weight as well. Have not flown it yet due to the current virus situation. Some pictures below.

I decided to mount the dummy radial to the motor mount ring instead of the cowl. This way it stays with the plane when the cowl is removed.

Comment

Originally posted by bandit View Post
        So i finished the build. I was worried about the CG going electric and with good reason. I had to put every available thing in front of the firewall to get the CG to come out right. That includes both the retract battery and the receiver battery & ESC. i went with the biggest receiver battery i could fit just because i needed the weight. I also 3D printed the radial dummy engine and that added some weight as well. Have not flown it yet due to the current virus situation. Some pictures below.

I decided to mount the dummy radial to the motor mount ring instead of the cowl. This way it stays with the plane when the cowl is removed.
        I love how you did the radial. Looks really nice and I can't wait to see her in the air if you will be able to get some video. Great work!

Comment

Nice work there bandit ! Great job with that cowl space...Would you ever consider a scale 3 or 4-blade prop for her?
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Nice work there bandit ! Great job with that cowl space...Would you ever consider a scale 3 or 4-blade prop for her?
            Was gonna ask the same considering the freakin awesome printed radial only to stick a 2 blade in front of it. Definitely worth the invest into a Ramoser for this
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have considered a 3 blade, but to get the same performance as this 2 blade setup, i would need a larger motor and the current draw would go way up. As it is here, i pull 80 amps. The plane weighs 23lbs and i have 22lbs of thrust giving me almost unlimited vertical, with a static prop speed of 70mph. Flight time with throttle management is about 8 min.

Comment

Yeah I figured the 2 blade would be able to give you best performance with lower amps...I went with a 4 blade for my ESM 85" Corsair though because, well, I couldn't help myself, lol. Looks over performance, that's my stupid motto of the day!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

You can only tell when the motor stops spinning. Having said that, i checked out the Ramoser props and they look amazing. I ordered one to play around with. I'm so weak.

Comment

bandit You're not weak...……. that's the scale freak in ya coming out
                    PS.....you can see a 3 blade when it spins or you aren't staring hard enough
                    I've got a ESM Tigercat which meant I had to swallow twice as hard for the Ramosers but DAMN does it look good
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I had Ramoser varios on a balsa Stuka a few years back and my oh my, worth every penny.
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

So i got my Ramoser prop in and it looks fantastic. This is a 18.6 diameter that i have pitched to give me 90A full throttle.

Comment

Man this is a awesome looking model!!

Comment

Love the progress Bandit. Someone needs to come up with a replacement prop shaft for that motor that is longer to allow the dummy radial to sit further back in a more scale position. Or do any of the larger electric motor manufacturers provide motors with extended shafts? I'm sure it would put more load on the shaft bearings but even just another 1/2 or 3/4 inch would make a huge difference. That too forward dummy motor has always been a problem with radial engines looking right. Another option would be to slide the dummy engine back a bit to get the right distance from the front of the cowl and disguise the front of the electric motor as the gear case behind the prop. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Check with TruTurn ! I had to purchase after market shafts for all my larger epower models, depending on the brand of motor selected.
                              There is a lot of talk on electric motors on all of these new planes, however I don't think one video exist ( even from the staff ) at motion.
                              Plenty of video on gas power, would love to see the actual model in use with 12s, and get some real world numbers.

Comment

would that have an adverse effect on cg,,, i no u can add more ballest just asking??

Comment

If your talking about the prop extension, no , but if you use spacers with the extension to move the prop forward it does move the weight of the prop forward.
                                  i would still think it’s insignificant and most warbirds need nose weight

Comment

I was thinking. Motor back. My mistake. It. Looks awesome. However.

Comment

So i finally got to maiden the Corsair this last weekend. No major issues except for the Prop. The three blade looks good, but at least for electric is just not as efficient as a two blade. I was pulling 91A full throttle at 8700 RPMs. Had to fly at 3/4 throttle just to keep it in the air. Even at full throttle it was slow. Will switch back to my carbon fiber two blade this weekend and see how it does. Should be fine since i flew the Top Flite corsair of about the same weight and size with no problem, I also had to put a fair amount of up elevator to get it to trim. The CG was set exactly at the position specified, but i'm definitely nose heavy. I'll make some adjustments before my next flight. I have a video, but hasn't been downloaded yet.

Comment

Sounds like those varios need more pitch. I'd try another degree or two of pitch before you go back to the two blade. You can increase the pitch incrementaly and keep checking your draw. It might be a little high on takeoff but once it unloads it should be good with more speed.

Comment

I'll try the two blade first to get a baseline comparison for the two. I know how it performed on the Top Flite

Comment

Working...
                                          X