Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall I was disappointed in total reviews or info on this plane. On the Motion site 4 review in total . On this site, no flight videos or really just Bandits review, the best one that exist.
    I was on the fence on this model and still am !
    1) for me —weathering is extremely overdone while the cowl was left untouched
    2) retracts struts /wheels totally un scale for a $1000 warbird. This is a simple fix, relatively inexpensive that could have been executed at the factory
    3) at the 19lbs , I would go 50cc so all of my weight is functional. I like Bandits strategy with the flight packs but would like more power in the air at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle
    4) While the covering is excellent in detail, as stated in point 1, it’s over done. We have all built our share of corsairs, I have never in all my reference files have seen active duty corsair with that much weathering.
    I am not complaining , I am trying to be unbiased on my own opinion of a model this large, value to cost ect.
    Also not tooting my own horn, the ESM Corsair in these pics is Sean ( Simply Scale ) call sign, a award winning ARF finish , the rest of the planes are mine. Weathering is a light handed task, the more you do, the worse it can look in addition to the direction of the weathering. Many corsair suffered top down weathering from oxidation on ships, sea air , sun and brutal weather, not just front to back weathering. This is especially noted when “over-weathering” .
    I finally finished my Zero and this was a combination of weathering & making sure I did not over -weather.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sfmadmax View Post

I'm wondering the same thing myself :)
      A Saito FG90 radial just fits.

Comment

I have built three Blackhorse Corsairs over the years. Each one came with supposedly improved landing gear, but they were all useless.
        I have thought of building this new version, if the "new gear" is good. The company say it is completely re-designed, but then they said that before.
        Can anyone post their opinion on the new gear & perhaps some photos of the main gear, especially the method they use for twist & turn.
        The last version I bought, had a pin on the top of the strut, that slid in a curved groove causing the twisting motion. Sometimes they worked & sometimes not. The whole set up was full of sloppy play.

Comment

Personally if I were getting a giant scale Corsair - regardless of brand - I wouldn't use the stock retracts and invest in Robarts instead. About as worry-free retracts as I've ever used.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

ok but the stock cost includes the stock retracts, no option for a non retract version.
            Same with the Lexa brand that was VQ, the retracts add a good $ 300 to the stock purchase

Comment

Any info on the durability of the all new landing gear? This was the biggest problem with all the previous versions of this model, which started life 10 years ago. This will be the fourth attempt to get gear that works reliably. I would have thought this would be the most important issue everyone would be wanting to know about.
              I notice that there are no main gear doors on the latest version.

Comment

I am far from an old school modeler. But it seems to me some of us need to remember. That in this modern day. U get what u pay 4. We buy a hyundai but expect mercedies it seems to me u r buying the foundations. !!!!airframe at a fair price. Choose urselft to use the basic retracts or replace. Them with qaulity robarts. We all have a choice.... Or build a scrathbuilt mmm whats ur time worth. B safe. Luv corsairs cya

Comment

Originally posted by Jascat View Post
                  Any info on the durability of the all new landing gear? This was the biggest problem with all the previous versions of this model, which started life 10 years ago. This will be the fourth attempt to get gear that works reliably. I would have thought this would be the most important issue everyone would be wanting to know about.
                  I notice that there are no main gear doors on the latest version.
                  I recently got this kit in the last shipment. The gear look different from what you describe in previous model versions. These have a gear cog engaged in sideplate to do the rotating action. The only thing is the wheels. First thing I'm changing. I got some Robart 4.5" 8 spoke aluminum mains......

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_092223777.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	295146Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_092242568.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	295148Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_092251639.jpg
Views:	1519
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	295147Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210119_092328123.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	295145

Comment

I'm 3d printing some main gear doors to test fit right now along with more scale looking oil cooler grills.

Comment

This will be my fourth ARF balsa build I have done so not a wealth of comparison type experience to lean on but anything in particular you guys want to see I will try to get the info out.

Going electric power as I have zero experience with gas. Not going to start with this model, might turn out bad......I have a Rimfire 65cc motor and a Castle HV160 slated to go in running 12S and a Biela 4 blade warbird prop. Figured the big motor will help with CG based on what I've read.

Since this doesn't really come with a livery other than the number, went looking for a decal set at Callie's. Interesting enough, she had a livery with number 8 so I did some digging to find possible pics on full scale aircraft. Long story short it really exists and is the only FG-1D still flying and is currently in NZ.

Click image for larger version

Name:	72479_465144501704_3242232_n.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	295154Click image for larger version

Name:	385811_10150431340956705_392460486_n.jpg
Views:	1460
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	295155Click image for larger version

Name:	391891_10150391434851705_340957255_n.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	295156Click image for larger version

Name:	132227_484841711704_5913426_o.jpg
Views:	1464
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	295157

Comment

Many thanks for the info. The gear is certainly different to the previous offerings. I hope there is no sideways slop in them.
                        If I buy another one, that will be the fourth I have built over the years. I persevere, as they are the best flying large Corsair available for a reasonable price.

Comment

There is a large thread on the Blackhorse Corsair that is worth looking at. I got lots of info from it. I have some pics on it.
                          The basic design of the new version is the same as the older versions one & two, with various adaptions.
                          ARF or RTF - has anyone flown the new 50cc size black horse corsair - has any one flown the 50cc size black horse corsair yet? any pictures available yet? if so can someone give me the size of the engine mount bulkhead. will a sc 5 cylinder radial fit or will it be to heavy? any comments welcome

Comment

I've been flying the Gilmore Red Lion (26.7lbs AUW) on the RimFire 65cc / Castle 160ESC / 24x10 prop combo with great success. Plenty of speed and vertical performance. I plan to use the same power train in the Corsair when I start this build in a couple of weeks.
                            There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

What is the largest main wheels that anyone has put on their Black Horse Corsair? I want one of these planes but I just can't get past those tiny wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccen44 View Post
                                What is the largest main wheels that anyone has put on their Black Horse Corsair? I want one of these planes but I just can't get past those tiny wheels.
                                I'm using 5 inch Dubro treaded inflatables. Larger diameter will hit the retract motor housing. Plenty of room in the wheel well.

Comment

Thank you WrightBrosRC, that's what I needed to know.

Comment

Ordered my Black Horse Corsair today. I will put the larger wheels on and fab some main gear doors. I have a very nice UMS 75cc 5 cylinder radial that should fit just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccen44 View Post
                                      Ordered my Black Horse Corsair today. I will put the larger wheels on and fab some main gear doors. I have a very nice UMS 75cc 5 cylinder radial that should fit just fine.
                                      I was gonna make gear doors too, but I'm just too damn lazy. The 5 cylinder will be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by bkp1300 View Post
                                        I'm 3d printing some main gear doors to test fit right now along with more scale looking oil cooler grills.
                                        Interested to know how these turned out. If they turned out well, would you be interested in selling a set?

Comment

Flying the Hanger 9 88inch Ki-43 Oscar is fantastic performing R/C on electric power train - exceptionally solid airframe.......in contrast reading threads regarding this light wing loaded Corsair landing gear has stopped me from moving forward on it. Looking at the BH P-40C and I can't get past the nose cowling...circlilng back to this Corsair. Does anyone have confirmation the Robart pnuematic retracts will fit this Corsair?

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                                          X