Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats on the maiden! Great write-up. A bit of a bummer about the retract.

Sounds like the Admiral GP60 performed pretty good. I just installed one in a Hangar 9 60cc XCub assembly.

Comment

• Great maiden report, glad to hear it was a success! If you can afford the Robarts I would go with those. Never had an issue with Robart electric retracts.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Gents - I think the Robart Electric 90degree rotating 148E is the set that should fit both the Phoenix and Blackhorse model 60cc Corsair.

The Width of the 148E sideplates match @ 1 1/16th inch stock set
        The length from the Axle to the rotator pin matches @ 7 1/4th inch stock set
        The BH flange mounting bolt holes will not line up on the pre-drilled Robarts but that only takes drilling out the Robart flanges to match.

Not sure the axle size will fit the stock wheels which are excellent....looks like the Robart struts require threaded axle 1/4th inch bolt.

I am wondering if the Robart actuator motors could be a swap out....that would be insanely nice.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Just a couple of laps with the Corsair after a carb adjustment.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...81308&sfnsn=mo

Comment

• I could swear that sound is a Ducati Desmosedici RR reving up......it's the same .....awesome
            TG

Comment

• I would still like it even if all I could do is listen to it run.

Comment

• The Robart 148E retracts and struts are a perfect match...they do fit but need modifications to get them mounted.....
                1. The Retract housing side plate bolt hole are perfectly aligned with the most forward and rear bolt hole alignments...no modifcations
                2. The Motor actuators move with as the gear transit up and down....the rib that runs under the actuator will need trimming out to clear the motor and its motor wire
                3. The sides of the retract wing mounts will need reaming out "Dremmell with sanding drum" to provide clearance for a couple side bolts and the rotating axle of the retract...in order to seat
                4. The entire retract strut sits much lower into the wing than the stock set up....I used two popsickle sticks under each of the mounting rails of the retracts to raise the retracts
                5. The stock wheels are nice and fat...but they prevent the retracts from closing all the way unless step #4 is done to allow enough clearance for proper function
                6. The stock wheel bearings will need drilling out for and SAE 1/4 diameter bolt (Robart Supplied) that work with the retract threaded axle hole
                7. The stock wheels will need an SAE 1/4 20 nut on the inside for spacing (use the supplied Robart nut as the inside spacer)....this will also be a jam nut to help keep the axle held in place
                8. A standard SAE 1/4 nut should also be used on the exposed threads left on the open side of the Robart strut axle hole
                9. Use the Robart Toe-In adjustment to align the wheels as noted for proper tracking
                10. The Robart Electric Retract controller board does in fact work with the stock "Phoenix" tail wheel retract when using a 2s 7.4v LiPo battery as a separate power supply to the retract controller
                11. The stock retract strut number plates will need some kind of custom solution ....perhaps a fixed attachement instead of the sliding claw configuration
                12. The Robart retracts are slightly heavier....but I forgot to weigh them for certain
                13. The Robart retracts do extend slightly over90 degrees thus the wheels are more forward than the stock gear in down position
                14. You will need at least one Robart Retract servo wire extention for each wing.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• ​ This is the way I attached my strut number plate. (Post #86) Small block of hard foam and a loose fitting strap made from small zip tie.

Comment

• I wound up cuitting off the captive peg from the strut and using the number plates with the original stand off slider. That slider its and stops perfectly on that pin seat. I attached a small spring to the strut and strut plate with a wire to each. The spring keeps the strut plate on to the strut in both retracted and deployed positions. Hopefully my springs have enough strength to hold them in place during flight!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Here is how I have deployed the strut number plates to the Robart retracts.....springs and wire. May not last very long but works fine on the bench. Photos attached.

While extending the main gear...the stock tailwheel retract motor couple failed. It is very cumbersome to remove the tailweel retract...and another PIA to repair the motor/scew coupling. I am pretty sure Blackhorse is shipping with Phoenix retract motors and screw assemblies. Motion RC has not had the motors in stock .....I ordered the Robart electrics and set them into the wings.....about $600.00....if Motion had the motors in stock it would have been a $25.00 repair at least the first time.

Here are two video's of the tail wheel system......the first is the failure the second is the full range motion. The mains are using the same system.....of course the Robarts are of much higher quality!!
                      Phoenix retract system as delivered in the Blackhorse models 89inch Corsair. These are prone to failure....either the internal mating screw from the motor t...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0224.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	349574Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0225.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	349575

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	JKER6776.JPG
Views:	859
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	352818Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Horse F4U Corsair Paul 08-14-22 remaiden.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	352819 Finally able to "Re-Maiden" this bird after deploying Robart electric retracts. The stock retracts are Pheonix standard OEM from what I can tell....while the Phoenix retract housing and struts are up to task the motor actuators are sub par.....expect them to fail. I have my bird set up with 24x12 XOAR prop, Admiral GP60 160Kv motor, Castle 160 ESC, dual 100c 8000mAh 6s LiPo for 12s power, 3200mAh LIFE batt for radio, 2s 2200 20c LiPo for retract battery, Aura 8 stabilizer, Hitec HS645Mg servos all the way around. My build required me to fabricate stand offs to use the short motor box with this motor then add 1lb of lead onto the motor box (diver belt weight) for proper CG.

The bird is super smooth and very powerfull, nice sound at anything above 50% throttle and litterally screams at 85% throttle. It lands ubra smooth like a butterfly with sore feet. It could be considered a trainer plane in this configuration.

I discovered the plastic faux motor is collapsing onto the motor and grinding it down....most likely the reason for the 5min flight times....should be around 8min cruising. Pretty sure if the grinding was not present it would have minimal 7min flight times. I will order another faux motor if Motion has them available and perhaps move the cowing forward ...but it just clears the prop now!!

I observed that I had way too much expo...this was noted on my maiden on May 28th......Three excellent flights today removing more expo every flight....down to 35% all surfaces....mixed throw settings to my style of flying.

The Robart retracts worked everytime and my springs holding the number plates on the struts worked without issue.

Very pleased with this bird....easy relaxing giant with gobb loads of reserve power

Winds in the video are 7-10mph gusting to crosswinds....Greater Southwest Aero Modelers of Fort Worth Texas AMA 1140 (FRIA)....temps at or near 99degrees on our grass field.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          Yeah I had my oil coolers 3D printed for my ESM Corsair...Subtle but a nice scale touch for the Corsair...
                          Hi, Aros, those radiators look way cool !!!! Would you share the file ?

Comment

• Hi guys, I just joined the group. I have the V1 BH 60cc Corsair and the plane is not with me can someone tell me the inside dia. of the Cowl ? I'm thinking of putting a twin and this afternoon I saw a guy flying a "60cc" Bearcat with a DLE 111cc twin- man it was hauling a$$ ! The engine is 255mm (10 inches ) across. Will it fit ? Thanks

Comment

• The plastic Fuax motor is collapsing into the GP60 motor...which has already ground it down during high power speed passes. I was wondering what all the squealing was.....sort of impressive. It could explain why my flight times were shorter than I had calculated. The fix is to either strengthen what is left or simply put a back stop on it. I may employ the most simple solution with some stand off balsa stick.....no additional weight and no loss of cooling....it just might work!

TwistedGrin Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.JPG
Views:	743
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	352832Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	731
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	352833

Comment

• Originally posted by vasek View Post
                                Hi guys, I just joined the group. I have the V1 BH 60cc Corsair and the plane is not with me can someone tell me the inside dia. of the Cowl ? I'm thinking of putting a twin and this afternoon I saw a guy flying a "60cc" Bearcat with a DLE 111cc twin- man it was hauling a$$ ! The engine is 255mm (10 inches ) across. Will it fit ? Thanks
                                Don't let the photos fool you ....the cowling at the face after the curve is completed is about 9.5inches. The cowling from the base to the lip is about 8.25inches.....but this lenght of the cowling as you know is totally dependent on your motors length from the firewall motor mount to prop clearence

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0305[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	352861Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0306[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	352862

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                  TwistedGrin how do you feel about the weathered covering? I've heard both ends. Cheesy to very cool.
                                  I feel like the weathering is just too much , less is more desirable to me . Has anyone tried to use slovent to wipe it down ,then repaint or is recovering a better deal? I haven't bought one yet but I'm looking to do so in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrellmims View Post

I feel like the weathering is just too much , less is more desirable to me . Has anyone tried to use slovent to wipe it down ,then repaint or is recovering a better deal? I haven't bought one yet but I'm looking to do so in the near future.
                                    For my 2 cents' worth, I don't care for it (the weathering). To me, it looks like my grandkids got a bucket of black paint and brushes and we told them "Have at it!" The aircraft itself looks to be pretty nice, definitely could be made up to look much better and realistic. I do really like the scale looking functioning tail wheel assembly, very well done. Unfortunately they also put that same gear on their P-47, which looks ridiculous. But this Corsair has potential in the scale world, and for those who don't have a problem with its looks, I say have a great time flying it!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	826
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	353763 Now that I have 6flights on this airframe with my Electric set up.......can honestly report it is a supurb flying aircraft. Probably due to the power to weight ratio (270Watts per Pound) and acceptible wing load factor. This power package puts the wing fully loaded for flight in just a few feet... withouth penalty. In fact you have to concentrate to take off slowly and looong for scale appearence - otherwise it's fully on the wing like a smaller high wing airframe. Once in the air.....the covering does not matter....in fact it looks excellent. The bottom weathering along with the color contrast is spot on. My BH F4U is flying true and straight as an arrow....the only trim I needed was a couple clicks of up trim with the elevators assembled and set absolute zero deflection. There is no tendency to roll or pitch or dive. The flaps slow this aircraft down to a crawl and landings are effortlessly smooth and consistant. However.....the motors of the stock (Phoenix) retracts are weak, the actual struts and carrier metal is just fine. I replaced the stock retracts with the $525.00 Robart Electric 14E-108 full retract assembies which took minimal effort to retrofit into the wings and work very nice.....however even with perfect level smooth greased in slow speed landings one of the Robart Electric Motor actuators stripped....the motor spins just fine but an interal gear is stripped. Robart has this as a replacement part available in stock so this will be an easy repair swap.

I was and perhaps still am a little skeptical about the fiberglass sandwhich plywood webbed support frame as it looks and feels ....crispy.....fragile. I think the only balsa could be the wing sheeting. Wheras other WarBird giants I fly are much heavier using standard plywood balsa construction which looks and feels like they could suffer much more abuse. However the BH airframe is light and stiff with the gull wing dual wing tube designed to handle normal stress loads.....so far. The wing saddle cross support structure just appears to be fragile - but then again the dual wing tubes may be preventing force loads from translating to that cross section.

I will state since the model flies so well...any percieved detratction of the printed covering for me is a non-issue. I simply weathered the nose cowling a little and it brought the entire airframe into a different perspective. I used a silver paint pen to rub on some contrasting weathering effect to the fuselage as well and it took without issue. This leads me to beleive a little bit of sanding and the entire airframe could painted over. However after just weathering the cowling I don't see the need. In fact the airframe was well received by my clubs master builders stating the flight performance and the airframe itself is impressive.

I also fly the Hanger 9 86inch wingspan Ki-43 Oscar with the same power plant....this BH F4U Corsair is on par if not more nimble than the Ki-43. Both are truely amazing performing airframes....only one is available for purchase at this time.

You can doll up a poor flying airframe and dread flying it or you can doll up a great flying airframe and love flying it....if you don't like the pre-printed covering on this model it is well worth the effort to doll it up to your satisfaction.

It does not have the gear doors for the mains nor a bomb drop or canopy pull....however for those that obsess with master building....this should be an airframe that could be infinately modified.

I think BH added some washout to the wing tips and maybe added some beef to the vertical stabilizer....I challenge anyone to actually prove it against 100% scale. My point is Black Horse has delivered a true performance flier and not a hanger queen.....this is what I tend to enjoy rather than hesitating to fly a high percentage scale model that is a brick to fly.

My2Cents and observation

This is my power train.... respectible speed and sound, gobbs of power and more to spare.

22lbs flying weight
                                      6134 Watt power
                                      270Watt per pound
                                      Wing Loading 38.3/oz/sqft

RC Juice / HobbyStar dual 6s (12S) 8000mAh 100c LiPo (891grams each)
                                      Agressive throttle with 82mph highspeed passes 5.30min - Landing at Battery at or near 3.77v per cell
                                      Scale cruising throttle with mixed aerobatics 6.30min - Landing at Battery at or near 3.77v per cell

ZYHobby 1.75inch 44.5mm Two Blade Spinner assembly drilled for DLE30/55 (TrueTurn is no longer in business)
                                      https://zyhobby.com/products/175inch...mld35-us-stock

24x12XOAR Prop
                                      Admiral GP60-180Kv Motor
                                      Castle 160amp ESC
                                      Dual 6s 100C 8000mAh LiPo (12S)
                                      3200mAh Life receiver battery
                                      2200mAh LiPo retract battery
                                      Robart Electric 14E series 90 degree rotating rectracts with controller board and wire extensions
                                      Stock Wheels
                                      Auroa 8 Stabilizer
                                      Spektrum DX8 Gen2 Transmitter

TwistedGrin
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• I think its great that it fly well and the guys that have purchased it are happy with the end results.
                                        I like Warbirds as my primary flying RC choice and outside of performance, appearance is #2 . I am not one to fret over scale airfoils, or a longer cowl, but I just cant get over the over-weathering especially on the tail flying surfaces.

For me and my own bashes /builds , I would have said to myself “ I have wrecked a good model frame”. If I wanted a model that just flys well, I will buy a pattern plane or 3D, but I fly warbirds because of the cool factor .

Again please remember this is not a reflection on any of the rc members who chose and purchased this model. I would never criticize a fellow RC flyer if they built a model and weathered it to the extent released on this ARF. However I will criticize a hobby business that releases a high end ARF. In this day and age when the internet, designers, cad, lend a wealth of opportunity to get it right vs getting it fast when the same effort and cost are expended, just get it right.

Comment

• I agree with Joehocky .....I can identify with scale fidelity. If you can't enjoy the model for sale....don't buy it. However I still state with a little bit of work the weathering can be applied to present a reasonalbe scale presentation.

Most likely the Phoenix Models F4U Corsair is a better out of the box color scheme pre-covered scale ARF livery. I was actively tracking purchase of that model for over a year.....when the BH F4U became available I opted to move foward on it. Would be interesting to see both models side by side ....begining to think this will not ever happen though.

I will say in some theaters where the F4U were operationally based...they were quite nasty most of the time...Weathering as an example of this aircraft presents upon returning a downed pilot from the drink.

TwistedGrin
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X