X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse 2280mm F4U Corsair thread

F4U-1D Corsair 2280mm (89.7") Wingspan from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHM1000-001

It's finally here, the largest fully sheeted balsa Corsair from Black Horse with a new design, new features, and new covering! The Corsair was designed and operated as a carrier-based aircraft, and entered service in large numbers with the U.S. Navy in late 1944 and early 1945. It quickly became one of the most capable carrier-based fighter-bombers of World War II. Some Japanese pilots regarded it as the most formidable American fighter of World War II and its naval aviators achieved an 11:1 kill ratio.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:5 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric power system or with an internal combustion engine about 60cc displacement.
    Factory Weathered Printing

The printing on this model has a realistic weathering complete with rivet and panel line detail that elevates the model to a whole new level of scale appeal.

Black Horse really takes it to the next level with their weathered covering. It serves as an acceptable flight-ready finish out of the box, and also provides a good base to help fast-track further DIY paint customizations to suit your preferences.
    Full Retractable Landing Gear

Aluminum suspension struts on the landing gear absorb rough landings on grass surfaces.

The tail landing gear is fully retractable also, replicating the scale articulation. The tail wheel's mechanism hinges and extends just like the real Corsair!
    Gas or Electric Power

You can choose between gas or electric to power your model depending on your preference.

We prefer gas for a model this large, but there's cavernous space for an electric power system on 12s.
    High Scale Fidelity

Operate one of the largest and most realistic Corsairs on the market.

Black Horse updated a variety of aspects of their previous smaller Corsair's design, then upscaled it to this giant!
    Large Wingspan

The Corsair has an impressive 89.7" wingspan for impressive presence both in the air and on the ground.
    Removable Main Wing

Easy assembly and intuitive design allows for the main wing to be removed for transport.

Durable nylon pin-hinges are used for all flying surfaces, instead of CA hinges.
    Scale Flaps

The three-stage flaps are iconic and fully functional, with rounded leading edges.
    FEATURES:
    • All new design
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Rotary 90 degree electric retract gear and CNC suspension metal struts
    • Panel lines and details printed directly onto the pre-applied, high quality covering
    • Model officially licensed by Northrop Grumman
    • Airfoiled tail surfaces
    • Pre-drilled hinge mounting holes
    • Heavy-duty pin hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed cockpit, pilot and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly
    • Fiberglass cowl and glass reinforced landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    Attached Files
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

1st! WEEEEEEEEE!!! Not that I am excited about giant scale Corsairs or anything.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Reserved

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
        1st! WEEEEEEEEE!!! Not that I am excited about giant scale Corsairs or anything.
        Whoa!!! Is that gorgeous or what? Looks like the guy in the announcement is walking his pet. Giant Scale and beautiful. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

And it doesn't poop or pee on the carpet!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I just ordered one. Man, this has been a spendy day!
            There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

This is one beautiful Corsair. My hats of to Motion and BlackHorse. I think I need one of these!

Comment

I got my user name from flying and owning so many Corsairs, haven't had a giant scale Corsair in years, really thinking I need one of these...........

Comment

I would be snagging this one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have an ESM 89" Corsair that's almost complete and going to take up a massive space in my hangar.
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

So what's everyone thinking of for a power plant? When planes get this size I prefer gas engines!

Comment

Gas for sure,one of those big radials would sound great, I had a Byron F4U Corsair yrs ago and put a Saito 450 radial in it on glow fuel, the sound was awesome and the power was plenty for a 34lb bird, no way could I do electric on a warbird like the Corsair.

Comment

It looks like there are wingtip lights in one of the pictures, but no mention in the manual?

I would like an electric build for this and was thinking 10S. This may allow for a Contrarotating prop setup used on 2m F3A models. 2 22” Contra rotating props with the thrust angle set to zero right thrust would be interesting I think.

I wonder if Motion will offer spare covering kits, like VQWarbirds sometime do, just in case. Otherwise patches or repairs look to be impossible with printed coverings.

I think this is my winter build ...

Comment

ltc This Corsair doesn't have wingtip lights, but it certainly has the space to fit a custom set.

I would be very interested to see your contra-R setup in a Corsair!

We're open to ideas on spare covering kits. With these pre-weathered prints, getting a perfect tonal match from the factory may end up being more difficult then just covering it with solid colors and weathering it to blend in with the original surface.

Comment

Any idea what engine is installed in the Corsair that's pictured in the initial post?

Comment

Thanks to Motion for offering this model. The size and detail look fantastic. In 1982, I tried to build a kit version of the Corsair. I had watched Baa Baa Blacksheep with my dad, and I wanted to fly the plane with him. I went off to college and was never able to finish the model. Over the years, I never saw an ARF in the size and detail I wanted, until now! Thanks Motion for offering a bucket list item for me.

I will be pulling the trigger after my tax refund comes. I am going electric, and will install a 4 speaker sound system. What a fantastic model this will be!

Comment

... I would need to add in the price of a good divorce lawyer to this.. but dayum!... it's so tempting!
                                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                  ltc This Corsair doesn't have wingtip lights, but it certainly has the space to fit a custom set.

I would be very interested to see your contra-R setup in a Corsair!

We're open to ideas on spare covering kits. With these pre-weathered prints, getting a perfect tonal match from the factory may end up being more difficult then just covering it with solid colors and weathering it to blend in with the original surface.
                                  I guess it will depend on if the plane can be built at specified weight and hit the CG with electric setup without having to add (dead) weight.
                                  I have 2 F3A pattern planes with 10s Contra setups...the sound is sort of unique but the lack of P factor would be nice in a scale taildragger warbird and worth trying.
                                  As I mentioned, this will be a winter build, so I will wait and see how the weights come in from those who go ahead of me.

Comment

I have done a number of electric giant scale. They always need nose weight, and that is why a sound system under the cowl is a great solution. I am wondering if a 10S motor will be enough, or just go with a 12S setup. My Beaver on floats is 25 lbs, and flies scale on 10S. So for this Corsair at 20 lbs, a 10S could be plenty.

Comment

I agree, most Corsair electric conversions need nose weight...I remember seeing a CompARF Corsair electric build and the flight packs were in the cowl !

F3A Contra drives, like everything F3A is as light as possible, so that works against me.
                                      This is one of the Contra drives in one of my 2m F3A planes

"Stock motor is rated at 2,000W continuous, and 3,500W intermittent for 5 seconds."

Depending on weight of this plane, 2000W might be enough for scale flight. A Contra Corsair would be kind of unique...

The other interesting option would be a Turboprop build, using a Jetcat P20 with a turboprop drive on the front .... although there is also a new X45 turboprop from Gaspar that might work as well...or perhaps just a Jetcat SPT5 or Kingtech K45TP
                                      (A JMB Jets PC21 at 11kg flies very well with a K45TP)

Comment

what size moki or saito would fit a model of this size 4 good power

Comment

Working...
                                        X