Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric power with a near scale three blade prop would be the bomb. Any flight or build videos of this plane yet? I would have to do a better dummy radial or maybe an upgrade? Oleo scissors on the landing gear struts would also be great.

Comment

Yep I would want to add scale oleo struts/wheels, dummy radial and of course main gear doors (still not sure how Black Horse didn't add those even though the tail wheel section is wonderful).
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
        what size moki or saito would fit a model of this size 4 good power
        I'm wondering the same thing myself :)

Comment

I am with you guys. So I think a 10S 3000 watt motor is the sweet spot for power. Nose weight, sound system, or very big batteries to balance. I will be looking for a good 3D print radial, and the wing root radiators are already available as a 3D print. Now for the gear doors . . .

Comment

Yeah I had my oil coolers 3D printed for my ESM Corsair...Subtle but a nice scale touch for the Corsair...
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Considering i am targeting this plane as my next project. I really wanted a radial in it, here is what my research has found.

This plane is still too small for a Moki. (That's ok)
              This plane Should fit a FG-60R3 60cc : https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SAI...nual-MULTI.pdf

Page 23 of the Manual: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...0cc_Manual.pdf

The Cowling Diameter is:
              At its Base, 265MM
              At its Nose, 253MM

The FG-60R3 60CC:
              Cylinders are 207MM apart.
              The Engine Diameter is 220M.

So we LOOK to be in good shape.

The Length of the FG from Base of Standoffs to Tip of Prop Shaft is 172.6MM , The DLE is 171MM,

So I feel we are in good shape as far as the cowl goes.

Ok, moving to the engine Standoffs. They are symetrical!!!! (I recently Installed a DLE35RA into my blackhorse spitfire which is not symmetrical. That was real fun. )

The Engine standoffs are 66MM across and 82 MM from top to bottom holes.

The Corsair manual does not list the dimensions of the Firewall, but it does give you templates for the DLE55cc (http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0455-manual.pdf) and OS65CC (https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/OSMG1561-Manual-EN.pdf) , So looking at those engines.

The farthest apart the engine standoffs is 78MM(OS60)
              The closest is the DLE60 at 70MM

So with the FG being 66MM across, i'm not sure if the Engines Standoffs will sit in that "reinforced" area of the Firewall.
              I imagine, if they don't fit, then you could always reinforce the firewall with ply, on the inner fuselage.

Now, distance across Top and Bottom.
              OS60= 85.6MM
              DLE55=66MM
              FG Radial = 82MM

Score!!!!, we at least know that those reinforced blocks on the firewall should be in the correct area high wise, not sure about the width.

Perhaps someone can measure the inner and outer distance of the 4 blocks on the corsar firewall?

So, I'm guessing that the FG Radial WILL WORK in this plane, worst case, you have to ply up the nose bit.

Comment

Aros When are you guys putting another order in for more planes????

Comment

Originally posted by sfmadmax View Post
                  Aros When are you guys putting another order in for more planes????
                  sfmadmax You know us, we ALWAYS have more planes on order!
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

sfmadmax You know us, we ALWAYS have more planes on order!
                    Alpha Most likely a few months then I take it? Probably fall/winter? (lol @ me trying to get an estimate)

Comment

Something to be aware of, there is no documentation on the retract controller. It has multiple inputs and outputs which control the gear, gear doors & brakes. some of the labeling make sense and some, not so much. There are two i have no idea what they do "Servo in / Servo out". I know these don't go to the receiver. There is one labeled 'retract' on the right side that goes to your retract channel on the receiver. On the left side there are 6 connections for the gear and the gear doors. They are marked with + & - symbols for wire colors of the gear(red = +, Brown = -). When connected as indicated, mains went up while the tail wheel went down. Had to reverse the polarity of the tail retract to get them to go in the same direction.

It should also be noted that the controller requires its own 7.4V battery to operate

Comment

pics?

Comment

If I did this model in electric I would not go less then 50cc on a 12s , 5000 packs set up. All the weight on the nose , battery’s vertical , simple cowl hatch.
                          ESC and battery for the servos all on the nose . This is the CMP Giant scale zero , same idea !

Comment

I am in the process of finishing mine as electric. I already have a Topflite 86.5" Corsair built as electric that i pulled the power system out for this plane. I am running 12s 5000-6250ma with a TACON 160 and an 18x8 carbon fiber prop. The specs for the two planes are pretty close. The Topflite weighs in at 25lbs with batteries. Performance with this setup has almost unlimited vertical with decent speed(around 70mph). Weight spec. for the Black Horse is 19.5lbs. I have no idea what that includes, but if that is ready to fly gas setup, then electric weight should be less than the Topflite. I should be ready to weigh the plane in the next few days

Comment

Very cool !
                              i am surprised the Tacon is that durable.
                              i had one in my 82” TBM Avenger on 12s .
                              Great to see the AUW under 22lbs !

Comment

Also, the current draw on that setup is 79A which with throttle management give me 7 min flying time.

Comment

So my curiosity got the best of me and i weighed all of the pieces and came up exactly 19.5 Lbs not counting flight batteries. This includes a 2cell 3000 lipo for the retracts and a 3cell 3300 with 20A BEC for the receiver and servos. With 2 6250 roaring top 6cells, the flying weight is 23 lbs. Two pounds lighter than the topflite corsair with the same power system.

Comment

The weight is very encouraging!
                                    The wing loading would be very light at 19lbs

Comment

When you have a moment , could you please post pics of your build ?

Comment

I will, It will take a few days to get the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                          F4U-1D Corsair 2280mm (89.7") Wingspan from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHM1000-001

It's finally here, the largest fully sheeted balsa Corsair from Black Horse with a new design, new features, and new covering! The Corsair was designed and operated as a carrier-based aircraft, and entered service in large numbers with the U.S. Navy in late 1944 and early 1945. It quickly became one of the most capable carrier-based fighter-bombers of World War II. Some Japanese pilots regarded it as the most formidable American fighter of World War II and its naval aviators achieved an 11:1 kill ratio.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:5 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric power system or with an internal combustion engine about 60cc displacement.
                                          Factory Weathered Printing

The printing on this model has a realistic weathering complete with rivet and panel line detail that elevates the model to a whole new level of scale appeal.

Black Horse really takes it to the next level with their weathered covering. It serves as an acceptable flight-ready finish out of the box, and also provides a good base to help fast-track further DIY paint customizations to suit your preferences.
                                          Full Retractable Landing Gear

Aluminum suspension struts on the landing gear absorb rough landings on grass surfaces.

The tail landing gear is fully retractable also, replicating the scale articulation. The tail wheel's mechanism hinges and extends just like the real Corsair!
                                          Gas or Electric Power

You can choose between gas or electric to power your model depending on your preference.

We prefer gas for a model this large, but there's cavernous space for an electric power system on 12s.
                                          High Scale Fidelity

Operate one of the largest and most realistic Corsairs on the market.

Black Horse updated a variety of aspects of their previous smaller Corsair's design, then upscaled it to this giant!
                                          Large Wingspan

The Corsair has an impressive 89.7" wingspan for impressive presence both in the air and on the ground.
                                          Removable Main Wing

Easy assembly and intuitive design allows for the main wing to be removed for transport.

Durable nylon pin-hinges are used for all flying surfaces, instead of CA hinges.
                                          Scale Flaps

The three-stage flaps are iconic and fully functional, with rounded leading edges.
                                          FEATURES:
                                          • All new design
                                          • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
                                          • Lightweight, strong, laser cut balsa and plywood construction
                                          • Rotary 90 degree electric retract gear and CNC suspension metal struts
                                          • Panel lines and details printed directly onto the pre-applied, high quality covering
                                          • Model officially licensed by Northrop Grumman
                                          • Airfoiled tail surfaces
                                          • Pre-drilled hinge mounting holes
                                          • Heavy-duty pin hinges on all control surfaces
                                          • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
                                          • Painted and detailed cockpit, pilot and interior included
                                          • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
                                          • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
                                          • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly
                                          • Fiberglass cowl and glass reinforced landing gear covers/pants
                                          • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
                                          I shall enjoy watching you bury hanger nine ..... your customer service will pay off

Comment

Working...
                                          X