Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just discovered that I have my motor or Prop set up a little shorter to most photos I see. The GP60-180KV motor is pretty long....too long for the motor and the larger motor box supplied with the kit.....therefore I had to use the shorter motor box mount and cut my own motor mount extensions.....I could have made my motor mount extensions a little longer perhaps. My cowling is dead even with the front of the forward hatch line....so I figure I am set back a little shorter most perhaps!

Looks like I can go about 1.96inches further out perphaps by cuttting some longer motor mount extensions

Not sure if this will affect flight performance or not

TwistedGrin Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	342922

Comment

• My cowl is an inch from the hatch and my prop has about 3/4 of an inch clearance between it and the cowl.
      Corsairs always seem to have a lot of prop to cowl clearance.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 10:4 Thanks for these photos and measurments RCCN44......

I removed my prop...pulled the cowling forward .23mm/.9inch and I like the gap spacing much better...looks like some air can now pass through. Your prop clearance is very close to what mine will be if I move everything forward. I am making plans to make this adjustment. Hate to drill new holes in the cowling...but can probably hide the original holes with filler and paint.

I feel a little "short" for not realizing this during my initial set up....would rather fly cool than not...so the adjustment is justified.

Thanks again sir!

TwistedGrin
        AMA 1140
        www.flygsw.org

Comment

• OK ...measure 10times at midnight and 10times again at 10:00am then drill....then go find new bolts with long enough threads and new blind nuts to match the bolts.

Thank goodness for the local farm implement hardware feed store...both Lowes and HomeDepot failed me....had to change out from metric to SAE and from fine thread to corse thread.....but I got it done without chewing up the internal plastic cowl mounts.

I don't have enough motor clearance to have the prop very far out from the cowling face as this 60cc electric motor will grind on the faux motor backside.... the new cowling spacing is matched again with the motor prop offset.

I do like the space that is now open to pull some airflow.....good as can be for the Texas triple digit dawg days of summer now

I chose to fill in the original cowl mounting holes with flathead screws backed with popcicle stick wood on the inside to help hold them in.

All that I need now is for the prop nut to arrive and then triple check the CG.....wondering if I will see any difference with the motor forward about an inch

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	343087Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	343088Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	343089

Comment

• Your cowl appears to be spaced about like mine. My gas radial does not get hot at all. Granted, I don't fly 15 minute flights, I tend to fly 5 or 6 minutes maximum.

Comment

• Ya - I followed your lead and measurement for a base line to confirm .....I too will fly about 6-7min per flight. Let the batteries, ESC and motor cool down between flights

Had to triple check my numbers to cut the motor mount extensions right....after moving the cowling forward as desired....then find the blasted bolts with enought threads to work correctly. Lots of process there for a minimal task - LOL

Looks good and proper.....now

Thanks again for posting up !!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Storage challenges.....PVC balance rack. Uses the wing spar tube as a balance catch, spinner resting on high density foam block. 1inch PVC with easy acces.....a wooden dowel goes through the wing tube and held captive in the PVC frame with a small wire nail. The frame is only meant to hold the model balanced while resting on the propnut. This is NOT for transport. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	343591Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	343592Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	343593Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	343594Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	343595Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG
Views:	787
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	343596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	343597

Comment

• TwistedGrin how do you feel about the weathered covering? I've heard both ends. Cheesy to very cool.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                    TwistedGrin how do you feel about the weathered covering? I've heard both ends. Cheesy to very cool.
                    I think it's sorta "cartoonish".....perhaps.....but I have not had it fully assembled at the field yet....and not flown yet so my opinion is not yet fully vetted yet. It did NOT deter me from purchasing at all. In fact I would rather have the printed weathering as is than single monochrome coloration.

I have seen plenty of other covered Corsair models that were plain single colorations that are clean ....too clean. They are lacking any color contrast other than the tail and wing tip colors. I would rather have the pre-printed BH over those.

On the other hand I do like the photos of the Phoenix 60cc coloration pattern in comparison....however it's a completely different color...but the weathering appears to be more realistic.

Last thoughts....I am thinking it will show very well in flight.....so I am looking forward to seeing what this weathering looks like compared to my gasser buddies flying same sized Corsairs in competitions...both on the ground and in the air.

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Regarding the Blackhorse Corsair weathering......the photo attached shows the Hanger 9 Ki-43 (Magnificent Model) with it's preprinted livery.

Some people complained the coloring of the Oscar is unrealistic.....I find it super cool exotic and absolutely love it.

In my own world I am pleased with the contrasting finish of the Blackhorse Corsair against the Hanger 9 Ki-43 and the underbelly of te Blackhorse DO-335.

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	343718Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	343719

Comment

• Interesting there are only a couple of these ARF's left in stock.......nearly no activity on this thread and no new UTube flight video.......I am still waiting on a workable weather window for my maiden so just looking for digital content to fill the gap

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Most purchasers of larger balsa birds choose not to post on forum threads.

They'll read posts for a sense of quality or hints and tips from others though.

The Squawk isn't bad, but some forums are awash with "experts" willing to pounce on those that post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            Most purchasers of larger balsa birds choose not to post on forum threads.

They'll read posts for a sense of quality or hints and tips from others though.

The Squawk isn't bad, but some forums are awash with "experts" willing to pounce on those that post.
                            Yep - I agree to all three points
                            TG

Comment

• No maiden yet.....I would like to have a couple days in a row where I am able to get my flight skills in top shape and of course have good conditions for this new bird. The winds have been too high and very erratic for an extroidinary long time this year......I have many flights on record in years past compared to this year.

I have triple checked the CG with my battery placement and prop spinner set up several times now....so the aircraft at least should be ready to go

I keep looking for recent video or comments anywhere for this aircraft.......does not seem to be very many with the latest version of this Plywood Carbon Fiber sandwhich ARF other than this video from 2021:

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                TwistedGrin how do you feel about the weathered covering? I've heard both ends. Cheesy to very cool.
                                I'm also disappointed in the "cartoonish" weathering patterns. For my money, I would much prefer it had been clean to where I could add my own weathering techniques. But that's just me. I'm not buying one, at least at this point. I like its size and it looks good in the air. If someone likes the way it looks, more power to him.

davegee

Comment

• Taxi test and general inspection at the field......found my throttle cut needed tweaking on transmitter settings....the landing gear showed no signs of weakness running up and down the field. I'll get the maiden in as soon as I get some much needed flight time logged as soon as these blasted winds and rain pass.

The covering design works for me......I had never observed it in the open and at the field in the sun. It looks great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	346565

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Have you hugged your Corsair lately?

TwistedGrin Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0128.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	346659

Comment

• Looks good!

Comment

• OV10
                                        OV10 commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        He's just visualizing what a port knife edge from a third person perspective looks like LOL

• The crazy winds .....nearly dead calm for 5minutes then a sustained puff out of nowhere at 15-20mph.....and ya at the most critical moment of handling!!!

No maiden and for good reason

TwistedGrin

Comment

• 05-27-22 Maiden flight report:
                                        Cross Winds at or near 8-10MPH
                                        Aura 8 Stabilizer engaged at or near 3%
                                        DX8Gen2 Transmiiter Mid Rates and Expo
                                        GSWAM AMA1140 Field Manicured Grass Fresh cut short nap bermuda thatch

The take off was smooth effortless....initial turn from take off was very mushy as if the rudder did not have any authority.....I was a little low on the throttle at or near 50%.
                                        Second pattern required some up elevator...about 10 DX8Gen 2 clicks.......no other trim was needed...still at 50% throttle.
                                        Third and Forth pattern added throttle from 50% to 60% the aircraft seemed to respond much better.
                                        Fifth pattern added throttle from 60% to 70% and set for cruise.....flipped to high rates and found over sensitive elevator....toggled back to mid rates
                                        Sixth pattern deployed take off flaps.....no climb or dive observed......deployed full flaps.....no adverse climb or dive observed....toggled flaps up for normal flight
                                        Seventh pattern made for a high speed pass at or near 80% thottle....the bird pick up speed with an excellent prop song......backed off throttle for the turn off of straiff run
                                        Eighth pattern dropped landing gear
                                        Ninth pattern toggled take off flaps down wind.....followed with full landing flaps set up for landing
                                        Landing approach wings level decending in shallow 75 yards in at 5ft from grass to allow the aircraft to land smoothly at nice slow speed....perfect soft touch down....easy greasy.
                                        Right retract folded back during runout....3ft skid to soft stop....zero damage

The Electric Retract actuator motor gear that turns the truion screw is stripped internally. Motion has the part listed for $24.00 but not in stock. Motion has the entire (L&R) electric retract unit listed for $250.00 but not in stock. Phoenix has electric retracts listed for both sides left and right for $125.00 pre- Click image for larger version  Name:	JKER6776.JPG Views:	0 Size:	266.4 KB ID:	346990 shipping....but will not ship. Robart #148E 90 deg Electric Rotating Retracts 1/5 Scale with controller box plus assorted cables total with shipping $542.00.

It should be a nice flying model but the electric actuator motors are the weakpoint....the retract themselves are very sturdy. I have the failed retract bolted to down position fixed in order to fly this bird wheels down until the Robart retracts arrive.

The weathered covering design looks excellent in the air....very realistic. The aircraft tracks nice after speed is applied.....it will lope around but will feel lethargic and mushy. I did dial up the Aura8 stabilizer to about 50% before engaging flaps and kept that setting for the rest of the flight......it tracked perfectly and turned with smooth lines.

Looking forward to diailing this bird in with more flights

5min20sec mixed throttle.....landing at or near 3.81v per cell. Dual 6s/12s 100c 8000mAh LiPo. Admiral GP-60 motor. Avain 160amp ESC. XOAR 24x12 PJN prop. Aura8 Receiver via Spektrum dual antenna. 3200mAh LiFe receiver battery. 2600mAh LiPo retract power battery.

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                                        X