Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have you made with access to the needles on the motor? Have you made holes in the crowl and use a super long screwdriver or is it not necessary to do any tuning?

And you that are using the Sato 90R3 motor, do you need to add lead in the aft?

/N

Comment

• Mine was run in when I got it, so that helped. On the FG90 mount pic further back there are access holes on the other side. Yours is different isn't it? I don't know what your mount structure looks like but I would assume it is similar. If I need to adjust mixture (haven't yet) I'll take the cowl off. Yes I needed to add lead at the back. Make the tail cone removable and you can place weight there.

Comment

• Banana man thank you very much for the great details on the stand and the zero .

Comment

• Originally posted by bananaman View Post
          Mine was run in when I got it, so that helped. On the FG90 mount pic further back there are access holes on the other side. Yours is different isn't it? I don't know what your mount structure looks like but I would assume it is similar. If I need to adjust mixture (haven't yet) I'll take the cowl off. Yes I needed to add lead at the back. Make the tail cone removable and you can place weight there.
          Thanks for the info. I have no holes on the side so I need to drill some. I will try to add some larger batteries and put them as far back as possible and hopes that will minimize the use of lead.

With some luck it will be test flight on the weekend or early next week.

/N

Comment

• I'm going to move my batteries a bit further back, the ply plate is a bit fragile. I have the batteries velcroed and strapped, I broke the ply trying the undo the velcro. I'm going to add a plate to reinforce it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bananaman View Post
              I'm going to move my batteries a bit further back, the ply plate is a bit fragile. I have the batteries velcroed and strapped, I broke the ply trying the undo the velcro. I'm going to add a plate to reinforce it.
              I have added some plywood so I can put the batteries further back. If that not is enough, I will buy heavier batteries :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Joehockey View Post
                Hey Banana man...... I was wondering if you would share more info on the caddy and any info on the CMP Zero ?
                I am bashing the large CMP Zero into an electric conversion and would love any tips possible on CG ect .
                The CMP Zero - CG 140mm from wing centre leading edge, his first flight was at 135mm. Elevator is sensitive, not a lot of throw and has expo set.

Comment

• Thanks BananaMan. Very helpful

Comment

• We had a Warbirds fly-in. Took the Zero along, it was well received. I'm really liking it, have done a lot more "playing" with its flight envelope and it hasn't bitten.
                    Another video.

Comment

• Enjoyed the video. Especially like the view from the tail.

Comment

• Hey guys! So excited to finally have maidened this beautiful aircraft today. Now officially the largest RC aircraft I have ever been behind the sticks of and what a pleasant flyer. We will have my maiden video and 2nd flight video coming soon, but I can't wait to get back out with her again later this week to open her up more.

Today we had a beautiful day, with a slight wind coming cross at times but nothing that I noticed in the air. I would have flown more but I spent probably an excessive amount of time on my preflight which I am glad I did.

I have the aircraft set up with the recommendations on our website in the electric format. So inside I have:
                        • Admiral GP60 motor
                        • Gecko 120A ESC
                        • 7 HiTec HS-645 MG Servos
                        Then I flew her on 2 Admiral 6000mAh 5S batteries for 10S power. I also used 2 Admiral 2000mAh NIMH packs, 1 for the RX and 1 for the Landing Gear Controller.

I double-check my CG when I got to the field with the included CG machine (I love the rope and plates). Then I made sure my landing gear worked, I checked my throws to make sure nothing was reversed. Then I range checked it and I spent a good 20 minutes doing right where I would pace myself 30M away, walk back and cok the aircraft 45 degrees, walk back and repeat until I made sure I had not a glitch from any angle (wasn't taking any chances).

Then I was ready for my taxi test, but of course, as I rolled the aircraft from its tail toward the taxiway the right wheel stopped dead. The axle gets screwed into the strut so my first guess was the weight of the plane just tightened that screw, so I locktited it where is could roll, waited 10 minutes and it happened again then I realized I had never fully tighten the grub screw that held the axle in place, so I locktited that as well and waited.

Then came the taxi test and she taxi'd terrific. I was happy because setting up the wire by wire tail wheel with the rudder was something I was hoping I wouldn't have to adjust and I didn't.

So finally about 2 hours from arriving to the field I was ready to go. I set the timer for 3 minutes, gave her a slow throttle up with a little rudder to counter the torque and when she lifted off I immediately knew she was stable and on CG. I babied her on the first flight as you'll see, just trimmed her. She only needed a few clicks of left aileron to stable out, then I prepared for landing. It's funny but the larger the plane is it was harder to guage just how fast I was going. Hitting the half flap I got a bit of ballooning so I countered with the elevator then did a gear pass and all was working well. Of course as I am preparing to land on the next pass the wind goes from straight cross to 45 degree tailwind cross, but I had no interest in trying to land from my more uncomfortable left to right at my field. So I came in with about 20% throttle and realized I was too fast so I went around, as I made my turn I cut the power fully and she glided beautifully so I throttle back up and while a tad fast as I had a minimal bounce, but she just floated to a 3 point landing on the grass.

I'LL TAKE IT!

After my nerves calmed, I got ready for my second flight and the wind was down the runway right to left so I went with the left to right pattern that my field doesn't really cater too as much. But I opened up more as I took her high and just let her glide to stall and it seems like it took forever. She can definitely fly A LOT slower than I would have thought. I played with the vertical for a stall turn or 2, big loops were nice, my roll at my mid rate seems slow, but then too fast at high so I will live somewhere between where I had it, but I left my elevator at 90%, which was my high rate the whole flight and liked it. I also liked a little rudder in the turns as well. Upon landing, I hit the flaps again and I felt slower than the first flight so I think I will add a flap to elevator mix going forward and probably just add some rudder to the aileron mix as well. make it easier. But I came in with a nice headwind and still had a bounce, but this time it was longer and rather than try to throttle up and risk stalling or torquing over, I just let it fly out to a nice stop.

After that flight I had to start packing up, so I plan to get out again either tomorrow or Thursday with her and fly a few more packs through it and really test her out. I need that perfect landing to happen. But overall I am so happy to be able to take to events eventually and make some more videos with.

Cheers!

Comment

• Congrats nice report

Comment

• Thanks for posting your maiden report, James! I wish the many others who have purchased this bird would also continue to chime in about their experiences with it. I think the Black Horse Zero flies very well. As your biggest balsa maiden to date, even with a tailwind cross, I'd say you've helped confirmed that trend.

I wonder what else we can put that Admiral GP60 into...
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Well done James. It's huge did u use or need a gyro. Good looking plane. Still waiting 4 a 1600 zero. To rumble with my corsair. Re what's next alpha

Comment

• Go Big or Go Home! Bigger Flies Better! Hmm, what other cliche slogans can I add? Oh yeah, "Nice Job James!"

My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Congrats James!

The Black Horse birds, like this Zero and the Gilmore, are in a real "sweet spot" size for giant scale. The are big enough to fly great with a good presence, both on the ground and in the air. Yet, they are still fairly easy to handle and transport.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200816_105211869_HDR.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	279337 This is really a great looking plane! I'm wishing now I had gone with this one instead of the Seagull Zero

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                                      Well done James. It's huge did u use or need a gyro. Good looking plane. Still waiting 4 a 1600 zero. To rumble with my corsair. Re what's next alpha
                                      I did not bother with a gyro for this one. Actually haven't used one in any balsa models yet. Just feel at their size they are way less violent with high rates etc that I never felt a need yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                        Congrats James!

The Black Horse birds, like this Zero and the Gilmore, are in a real "sweet spot" size for giant scale. The are big enough to fly great with a good presence, both on the ground and in the air. Yet, they are still fairly easy to handle and transport.
                                        I agree TJ. It's funny I only mentioned that to Alex yesterday. She's quick to disassemble and didn't really take up much more space in the car with the fuse on a plane stand and the wings straddling the fuse. She's heavier to manipulate when she's built up and loaded with batteries of course, but that's to be expected.

Taking her out for more flying tomorrow! Will show it all on the live show Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200816_105211869_HDR.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	279337 This is really a great looking plane! I'm wishing now I had gone with this one instead of the Seagull Zero
                                          Thats still a nice looking zero though radfordc. But it is hard to beat the covering that black horse has on some of these warbirds. The riveting, rust, and paint chipping is truly stunning. A few guys at the club yesterday were shocked that I didn't add myself. They asked if I weathered it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X