Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got in another flight of my 335 today. This plane is rock solid in the air. I love the power and speed that it has with the 6S power train.

---
    Warbirder

Comment

• Finally received the spinners from Tru-Turn. Time to finish her up and get to flying. The half white, half black gives an interesting effect in flight. Simular to what was done on the BF-109

Click image for larger version  Name:	Spinner1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	261202Click image for larger version  Name:	Spinner2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	261203

Comment

• Nice! Mine have yet to arrive.

Comment

• The pic of the front spinner makes it look more elongated than it is. The front is a 3" P-51 style and the rear is a 3 1/4" Ultimate style.

Comment

• The pic of the front spinner makes it look more elongated than it is.
            A little trick a professional photographer taught me years ago to reduce this kind of visual distortion -- back away from the subject and then zoom in with your lens. You can test the same effect on another person. Getting close the subject will make their nose look huge. Back up and zoom in, an their nose will appear correctly.

The spinners look great and from all I've heard are top-notch quality. I won't tell you the hours I put into the design of my spinners, let alone all the prints I made. But I did learn a lot in the process which was a goal. The only advantage mine have is a very close to scale profile. I'm just glad they have held up well.

BTW, the Master Airscrew logos come off quite easily with acetone. Luftwaffe blades at this time didn't have any graphics or even yellow tips, so just didn't look right to me. From what I've read, they weren't even black (!) but a very dark green! I couldn't bring myself to do that however, haha.

Comment

• looks good tony!
              Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• paladin Thanks Joe. I'm looking forward to getting it done and in the air. Trish is starting work on her Nexa JU-52 this week. It looks like a regular airplane factory around here .

Comment

• Twowingtj I'd like to see the maiden on this beast. Please let me know when ya gonna do it that is if you don't mind witnesses
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post

A little trick a professional photographer taught me years ago to reduce this kind of visual distortion -- back away from the subject and then zoom in with your lens. You can test the same effect on another person. Getting close the subject will make their nose look huge. Back up and zoom in, an their nose will appear correctly.

The spinners look great and from all I've heard are top-notch quality. I won't tell you the hours I put into the design of my spinners, let alone all the prints I made. But I did learn a lot in the process which was a goal. The only advantage mine have is a very close to scale profile. I'm just glad they have held up well.

BTW, the Master Airscrew logos come off quite easily with acetone. Luftwaffe blades at this time didn't have any graphics or even yellow tips, so just didn't look right to me. From what I've read, they weren't even black (!) but a very dark green! I couldn't bring myself to do that however, haha.
                    Yeah, Luftwaffe props are what I'd call a "black-green". Had a chance a few years back to see the FW-190 from the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum at an air show; they had it right.

Comment

• Hey, I'm looking into what's available to replace (to start) the nose gear strut. I feel like the "oleo" is way too stuff, and I'm finally starting to experience minor bending both at the oleo as well as the strut pin at the top. Not hard to straighten out, but of course it rebends more easily now. Does anybody make something the same size, equally as strong, but with a "cushier" oleo action? I'm new to models this size and unfamiliar with what else might be out there.

took one of the stock nose struts apart (I have a spare) to see what's in there -- and it doesn't appear to be a spring -- or if it is, it doesn't come out easily. What could it be?

Comment

• MrSmoothie There should be a coil spring inside the strut. I've often cut a coil or two off the spring to get the compression feel I like. Thanks for the tips as well.

OV10 I'll see what I can do. Sometimes there's not much planning ahead as "predictable" as our weather's been lately.

Comment

• There should be a coil spring inside the strut.
                          Of course that makes sense -- but when I look into the end of the strut, there's something solid, and in fact, you can push against it with a screwdriver (and it gives, as would a spring). It's as if there's a part under the spring that the oleo shaft pushes against.

An aside -- I just compared the original nose strut, which has been very stiff from the start, to the new BH strut (got the last one at MRC) -- the replacement strut is much more giving. The original one was very difficult to compress. I wasn't going to switch to the new strut quite yet, but changed my mind. However, I did replace the strut pin (between strut and retract) with a length of 5mm K&S music wire cut to the same length.

Comment

• For those that missed the first shipment, the Do-335s are back in stock.

Comment

• I am in...

Going for the following set up:
                              DX8 Gen 2 Tx
                              Spektrum 6 channel Rx
                              Xwave RM400-90 Electronic Retracts
                              Hitec HS-645MG Ultra Torque Ball Bearing Metal Gear Standard Servos
                              ZTW 18A BEC / UBEC - or separate isolated Rx battery depending on CG
                              ZTW Mantis 85A ESC
                              Admiral GP10 5030-400kV motors
                              16x10x3 Pull/Push props
                              6s 45c 5200mAh LiPo

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Finally got one of these. Coming from the new shipment. If anyone has the specs and links for where to get the 3 blade props and such let me know. If you have mods you have done let me know.

Comment

• TwistedGrin based on the specs for the Admral GP10 motors, they may not handle the Master Airscrew 16x10x3 props on 6S. Most that are flying this bird are using larger lipo packs for both balance and duration of flight. There's a lot of tail aft of the CG.

Vextren The specific specs for the props you will use depends on the motors you choose. Keep in mind that the recommended prop range in the motor specs are for two blade props. When going from a 2-blade to a 3-blade, you want to go down one inch in diameter and up one in pitch. So if he motor calls for a 15x6, you would want to use a 14x7 or 8 3-blade prop.

On this bird you will want one normal or tractor prop on the front and a pusher on the rear. Master Airscrew has the best variety of 3-blade props. They are what most of us are using.

While 3-blade props look great from a scale perspective, they aren't as efficient as 2-blade props. They also weigh more. There's also the added expense of custom 3-blade spinners if you go that route. The ones I ordered from Tru-Turn were over $180 for the pair. All good things to consider while outfitting your Do-335.
                                  3 blade model airplane propellers specially developed for the most demanding hobby professionals. Great performance and scale look both for electric motors and glow engines. Carefully crafted from Glass Fiber Reinforced Composite. Available in sizes 5" to 16".  

Comment

• I missed out on the first shipment (was working out of town that week and not checking RCG, HS, or MRC), but ordered the Do335 and the retracts today.

Still mulling over motor choices. I have plenty of standard size digital servos.

Comment

• Hopefully they last longer than the previous batches!
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alpha let's hope so. Having the opportunity to fly something "out of the ordinary" appeals to many of us. Especially if it fly's well and looks decent.

Keep bringing them to us and we will have to have them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                          TwistedGrin based on the specs for the Admral GP10 motors, they may not handle the Master Airscrew 16x10x3 props on 6S. Most that are flying this bird are using larger lipo packs for both balance and duration of flight. There's a lot of tail aft of the CG.
                                          r
                                          Vextren The specific specs for the props you will use depends on the motors you choose. Keep in mind that the recommended prop range in the motor specs are for two blade props. When going from a 2-blade to a 3-blade, you want to go down one inch in diameter and up one in pitch. So if he motor calls for a 15x6, you would want to use a 14x7 or 8 3-blade prop.

On this bird you will want one normal or tractor prop on the front and a pusher on the rear. Master Airscrew has the best variety of 3-blade props. They are what most of us are using.

While 3-blade props look great from a scale perspective, they aren't as efficient as 2-blade props. They also weigh more. There's also the added expense of custom 3-blade spinners if you go that route. The ones I ordered from Tru-Turn were over $180 for the pair. All good things to consider while outfitting your Do-335.
                                          https://www.masterairscrew.com/collections/3-blade
                                          10:4 Well I have options then....I have two Flight Line 3055 390Kv Motors and 16x10x3 props (Standard/Pusher) combo on hand.....was hoping the Admiral motors would be a little less weight. I still like the 3blade option...but no spinners for this set up.

Not too keen on 2 blade props but have not done my homework for the watt numbers on the recommended Admiral set up.....I sure don't want underpowered aircraft so I usually prefer the penalties of beefing up the power train for grass field operations

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                                          X