X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flight 1.2M Spitfire and P-47 Razorback

Considering one of these to enter me back into Warbirds World. Both have SAFE and AS3X if needed in a pinch.
    I’ve watched quite a few reviews. But, those usually just say how great the plane is and show them zipping around at full throttle doing inverted passes etc.
    im curious as to how they handle for someone getting back into warbirds. I’ve only seen one review that showed the stall characteristics for the P-47 and it tended to drop off on a wing. I’ve seen nothing similar with the Spit.
    can anyone give feedback on what they’re experiencing? What sort of throttle are you using on landing? How stable are they in the final turns?

TIA!

Hi there, I have the P47 so can only really comment on this plane but it still may be of some help. The reason I say this is that prior to the p47, the only low wing birds I had flown were the Parkzone T28 and the 1s Parkzone P51. I was still very much a newb in both respects but wanted something to introduce good habits around flaps and retracts.

i bought the P47 based on the fact the P47s have a good reputation as being stable and great for people getting into warbirds. The wide gear stance is also great for avoiding ground loops.

Ive lost count of how many flights I have since put on mine but it is still a favourite. It’s such an easy flying, good looking and predictable warbird that does all he things you’d expect a warbird to do with one exception......it’s easy peasy to land :). Mine still runs on 3s which is great for scale flying, I know some like 4s and that’s fine too if that’s what you’re into. It needed some nose weight added with the 3s battery.

in all the time I’ve had this plane, it’s never tipped on its nose, nor ground looped and I fly from fairly thick grass. I’ve also never experienced a tip stall with it either as slow flight characteristics are great too so I wouldn’t worry about it dropping a wing. Based on my experience, you’d have to be doing something pretty messed up to get yourself in that sort of situation with this plane. I forgot to say, mines got a regular receiver without AS3X or Safe and any nerves I had before I first flew it were completely unfounded. (Don’t get me wrong, I think Safe and AS3X are great and I have it in other planes....just goes to show though that even without it, it’s a cinch to fly).

Given that you are getting back into warbirds and not starting from scratch like I was, I think you’ll be more than fine. In regards to the Spitty (I love Spitties and have the 1.6m Flightline version which is amazing!), from what I’ve read, it’s also a great flyer. Just depends what wheel stance you want at this point and what plane you like the look of I guess.

Hope this helps. Keep safe out there.
    Regards
    Kurt

Comment

P.s on landing I keep a little less than 1/4 throttle and I’ve never experienced any worries with stability on final with flaps and retracts deployed. It’s pretty floaty, in fact I don’t use any flaps on take off as I found early on it was getting into the air a bit too soon. Have fun!

Comment

Hello Cobra1365
        Having owned/flown both of these warbirds (only in the 1400 & larger spans), the P-47 would be my recommendation for 2 reasons.
        1st - the wider gear stance is much more accommodating to ground handling issues.
        2nd - the Jug is more of a mid-wing design and the Spitty is absolutely a low wing airframe whereas the mid-wing design is friendlier to do axial rolls
        which affords more stability in banks(regarding your final turns concern). Low wings require much more rudder coordination to maintain level flight in a turn.
        Learn the "heavier" rudder after you have some introductory warbird fun.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have the E flite Spitty. I finally yanked the receiver out and installed a 10 channel Lemon. It's a tricky bird with either receiver in it because of the landing characteristics, Charlie is right and I've learned over the years to heed his advice. In retrospect, I should have gone with the Flightline 1200 mm Spitfire, I do however have the 1600mm FL Spitty and after I got the CG corrected (the cg in the manual is wrong) She's a great flyer, but again, you have to be on the power and the rudder when landing, she's definitely not a dead sticker and neither is the E Flite 1200, which, btw, I found is tail heavy as well so added some weight to the nose and moved the 2600 3s further forward, I haven't tried this yet, but according to the CG machine, it's slightly nose heavy now, which is the way I prefer it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8839.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	246581

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

What are the settings for the flaps on the 1200 mm Flightline Spitty? The manual says 15 mm and 28 mm. Is this correct?

Comment

I know on my 1600 mm, I have the flaps set at as close to 80 degrees as I could, which means ALL the way down! Real Spits only had one flap position.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                X