X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by horsefeetky View Post
    i have to ask and wonder.. i love my ec1500 cargo that does anything i put it through using only one 4s 5000,a pack to power both motors at 7 plus min flight time having a fun flight not putting around.

why did motion choose to setup this bronco for dual packs and the added weight on such a thin wing.. would it not be a solid flyer with one pack and kv motors like the cargo uses. not knocking the setup just wonder why i need two packs to enjoy this cool plane
    horsefeetky
    Actually the wing is not thin, it measures 1-3/16" at it's max thickness which is in the same range of other 55"(1400mm) sized warbirds out there on the market with similar NACA airfoils.
    Going back to earlier similar power factors concerns that have been raised and I have commented on, the comparison between the EF and the FL is two different animals.
    The EC1500 is driving 10x9x5 scimitars with a 650kV motor whereas you are comparing to the 9.5x7x3 props driven by 860kV motors.
    The power factor demands between the 2 systems are completely different.
    The 650kV motor is used because the prop diameter is 1/2" larger with a 2" larger pitch and 2 more blades than what the Bronco is using.
    Power factor coefficients are exponential in change to any of the 3 prop factors that are key which in this case all 3 are involved.
    If you haven't been following all the posts regularly, Alpha's post #201 and James's post #207(with flight video) pretty much summarized the power system on the Bronco
    Regarding your question about using two packs, there is plenty of room to use a large single 4S pack if that is your desire by simply Ying the ESC power leads into a parallel configuration.
    In all honesty, the parallel powering of two motors from one power source is what I have done for years because it eliminates the possibility
    of corkscrewing it into a graveyard spiral due to a battery failing on a dedicated motor.
    Hope this helps resolve some of your concerns/questions.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronn View Post

Liquid paint mask is an awesome idea! Can you recommend a good brand of liquid paint mask?
      This is what I have used, I think its excellent (but I've never used anything else).
      Its available at hobby shops (ha, remember those) and ebay and other places on line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pa40282.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	249579
      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• So,

WHEN DO WE GET AN A-26K???

Just asking...

At this rate (of new airplanes), I’ll have to enlarge the garage 🤑.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

This is what I have used, I think its excellent (but I've never used anything else).
          Its available at hobby shops (ha, remember those) and ebay and other places on line.

Name:	pa40282.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	249579
          Awesome, thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	249511
            I've always used Bob Dively's stuff. I used to to able to get it from Horizon Hobby's but they discontinued it. I've seen it online from other vendors.

Mike
            Thank you

Comment

• ov10 thanks for catching me up on this posting forum and the info on y harness to one pack sounds great. do you think i will be able to put the single pack forward enough not have a large amount of lead added to the nose for proper balance on this bronco.......i have the smart spektrum 4s 5000ma 30 packs but i could move up to a single larger pack should a larger ma size fit okay.. any suggestions based on the cavity size in the plane..

Comment

• Originally posted by horsefeetky View Post
                ov10 thanks for catching me up on this posting forum and the info on y harness to one pack sounds great. do you think i will be able to put the single pack forward enough not have a large amount of lead added to the nose for proper balance on this bronco.......i have the smart spektrum 4s 5000ma 30 packs but i could move up to a single larger pack should a larger ma size fit okay.. any suggestions based on the cavity size in the plane..
                horsefeetky The Smart Spektrum 4S 5000mAh 30C pack according to Horizon spec page for it indicates that it weighs 486grams whereas the 2 Admiral 4S 4000 40C that James flew for the maiden and subsequent flight vids weigh in at 776 grams for the pair and they were placed all the way forward so you will be about 300 grams shy of the weight for correct CG. I am not aware of the range of sizes of the Spek LiPo's to make a recommendation.
                I can tell you what the battery cavity dimensions are on the Bronco so that you can make size adjustments as you see fit. 7-1/2" L x 3" W x 2" H
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Ordered mine yesterday. I'm like a 5 year old waiting on Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by crash60 View Post
                    Ordered mine yesterday. I'm like a 5 year old waiting on Christmas.
                    I know the feeling!!!

Don't you just hate waiting!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronn View Post

I know the feeling!!!

Don't you just hate waiting!!!
                      I'll be all the sweeter when it arrives.

Comment

• I mean" it'll be all the sweeter when it arrives."

Comment

• looks a bit like a warthog /// wasnt sure about the raised elevator.. done some research found that was done so trucks could back up under it to simplify loading ... clever .. he cargo bay was also about same height as most trucks.... they did carry a small amount of paratroopers ,, but they had to sit... luv the landing gear .. its absolutely on my list of wana gets.. some places i fly r pretty crappy... this look like it would handle that easily .. CANT WAIT TO C SOME ALL WEATHED DETAILED UP

Comment

• Just a thought for your mind on using one battery as to two on a twin. Two batteries of 4000ma each, ONE for each motor as compared to one battery for two motors would cut your usable ma to half and hence shorter flight times. Say 30 amps from each battery compared to 60 amps from one battery.
                            . Is this a far comparison Charlie? I have a twin larger A10 that I ran two batteries but I wired the batteries together in parallel then split to each ecs. After flying the FW A10 with seperate power, I'm feeling better that it wont be necessary as long as you fly your batteries in a paired set, like bat 1 and 3, then bat 2 and 4 as they are marked.

Comment

• When I was a Grunt in the Nam, I saw them up close and personal as they fired "willie peter" to mark my targets for A-4s and F-4s for close air support at Con Tin, and other garden spots along the DMZ 1965-1969

Comment

• I'm sure your tour was not pleasant but what a thrill to see ground support in progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                                  Just a thought for your mind on using one battery as to two on a twin. (1)Two batteries of 4000ma each for each motor as compared to one battery for two motors would cut your usable ma to half and hence shorter flight times. Say 30 amps from each battery compared to 60 amps from one battery.
                                  . Is this a far comparison Charlie? I have a twin larger A10 that I ran two batteries but I wired the batteries together in parallel then split to each ecs. After flying the FW A10 with separate power, I'm feeling better that it wont be necessary as long as you fly your batteries in a paired set, like bat 1 and 3, then bat 2 and 4 as they are marked.
                                  sam51401 Hello Sam, I am gonna throw the above underlined sentence out of the discussion because it is not accurate.
                                  (1)So on your statement of two 4000mAh (4Ah) batteries for each motor, that means you would have a total of 4 packs on this twin which physically is not possible.
                                  I believe you meant to say "Two batteries of 4000mAh each for both motors" and then the remainder of the sentence would be true.
                                  What James maidened with and flew subsequent flights with was one 4000mAh pack per motor for a total of two 4000mAh packs.
                                  The stock wiring has each motor powered by a dedicated pack which in this case means the max capacity per motor avail is 4000mAh or 4Ah.
                                  For your A-10 comparison, you indicated having your two batteries wired in parallel (lets again say 4000mAh each) which now puts a potential of 8000mAh total capacity available for both motors.
                                  Because both motors are sharing this capacity you are essentially dividing the total capacity in half to each motor to 4000mAh.
                                  Now for those that are unfamiliar with the science and ask why go through that wiring effort of parallel to still have the same mAh capacity per motor which equates to same flight time.
                                  The primary reason and the reason I have done it for years is for eliminating the one engine flame out on a twin which is a recipe for catastrophe.
                                  With dedicated batteries to each motor, if one battery collapses before the other does the effected power train also collapses and then the proverbial graveyard spiral is setup due to the uneven thrust factors.
                                  When wired in parallel and sharing the same total capacity, if one battery collapses quicker the parallel systems capacity is still providing for but in a reduced capacity
                                  until such a time that the voltages which are also equal due to the parallel configuration collapse equally and the BEC's LVC shut down both motors at the same time.
                                  It is much better to dead stick than trying to figure out what just happen and counter the quick corkscrew your bird just presented you with.
                                  I have also found that doing paired battery sets for parallel configurations is not necessary if normal balance charging practices are followed.
                                  I appreciate you question and hopefully I answered it without too much rambling
                                  Best regards,
                                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

• I started out flying my F7F in the stock configuration up until the first time it went to Nefi. We were camped up in the parking lot probably 100 yards from the flight line, I had one battery left so decided to taxi her up to the trailer. By the time I got it there, I was a firm advocate of running two batteries in parallel powering both motors so I would never run across the situation present to me just in taxiing. She was all over the place and basically it took full rudder to counter it just in taxiing! Now take into account the other prop isn't feathered and is windmilling creating drag and the plane is chasing its tail. No way you are going to trim it in time and good luck landing.
                                    My soldering skill quite frankly sucks, so I searched out some adapters, one that ties the two batteries together in parallel and another that joins the two ESC's to a single input. Works like a charm!

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Waiting on the check then I'm gonna pull the trigger on this and the flex f100

Comment

• Charlie, you found my mistake in that i was referring to two batteries, one for each motor. I corrected that and sorry for the over sight as you called out what i was wanting mean. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                                          Charlie, you found my mistake in that i was referring to two batteries, one for each motor. I corrected that and sorry for the over sight as you called out what i meaning. Thanks for pointing that out.
                                          NP……..just wanted to make sure that those following along didn't get led astray and I am assuming that my response was a satisfactory answer to your question
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X