Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil34
    replied
    Well hi again folks once again I'm looking for help regarding an ov10 for those of u who can remember I crashed my first one on maden and completely wrote it off and was pretty much over it until I went to a air show and saw another guy flying his so bit the bullet and got another.This time every thing assembled great no probs at all,remembered to calibrate the escs too..great.
    So now to the problem,when I talked to the chap flying at the said airshow we had quite a chat and he said his go too before a maden is to run a battery pack through the plane on the ground,checking all controls,running motors at half throttle,then a third,giving a burst of full etc checking heat on escs etc.So this is what I did,,even had a stop watch running,any way every thing great until 2 minutes in LHand motor slowed a bit,,on half throttle so slowed it down and gave it another blip to about three quarters,then noticed smoke coming out both motors .Sorry this goes on,stopped it and u guessed it both motors are toast.
    So any ideas anyone,escs wernt overly hot the whole test was only 2 minutes and 20 seconds,I was under the impression you could run them on the ground but my inexperience Maybe im wrong.many thanks for any suggestions in advance.
    Just maybe ov10s aren't ment for me cheers
    Phil

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    I'm running hrb 3300 packs in mine, I can actually go another 1 to 1.5 minutes on my flight timer. Although mine does have upgraded motors in it, not exactly sure what ones.

Leave a comment:

• Amjet
    replied
    Reposting (photos from my previous post were deleted)​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Coastiehelimech
    replied
    Thanks for you're response. Much appreciated. When I mentioned a smaller battery I was comparing a 3000 or 3300 mAh battery to the 4000mAh 4s battery as per website.

I completely agree different manufacturers of batteries range in weight, size, and performance.

Your idea for a HV battery does sound interesting though as an option.

Thanks again.

Drew B.

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by Coastiehelimech View Post
    Just ordered the FL OV10 1400mm from MotionRC.

Question:

In an effort to get better performance, if i fly a smaller battery like a 3000 or 3300 mAh,

Would the reduction in total weight result in better speed?

OR

would I have to basically add that weight back as lead to obtain correct CG?

I saw MerryBoozers fly this aircraft on 3000mAh batteries amd it seemed fast.

Your thoughts?
    Firstly, not all batteries of a particular size weigh the same. They can vary by brand, series, C rating. Eg, a HobbyKing Graphene 3000 mah, 4s, 45C can weigh almost 100g more than an Admiral 3000 mah, 4s, 35C. Times 2 and it's a difference of 200g. I use Graphene 65C that weigh over 400g each. However, having said this, this kind of weight difference is not going to make this plane any faster or slower. Also, there is enough space in the battery compartment to move the batteries fore and aft to adjust for weight differences. Sometimes, what you see in a video can "seem" fast due to camera angle and how the video is captured.
    Most owners, as far as I can tell, find this plane to be "adequately" powered, but some feel it's a bit sluggish. I'm one of those. My deciding factor is that this plane in stock form cannot do a complete, large loop from a level pass. It falls out at the top and struggles to get there. I've upgraded the motors, ESCs and propellers to get the performance I want. In this particular case, performance does not mean faster. It's not a real streamlined airframe and has quite a bit of air resistence. Of course, there's how you feel is "fast" compared to how others feel is "fast".
    When you get it and fly it with what batteries you have and you're happy with it, that's great. Nothing more for you to do. If you want a little more "punch", I would suggest getting some HV (high voltage) batteries in the similar weight range. That extra 0.6v per battery may give you that extra little boost that might satisfy you. If not, then you'll have to decide if you want to spend the money for power mods.

PS. You say a "smaller" battery like a 3000 or 3300. Smaller than what? A 3000 mah, 4s is the recommended battery anyway. I sometimes fly this plane on Admiral 4000s that weight about the same as the Graphenes. I get a couple minutes more flight time but everything else remains the same.

Leave a comment:

• Coastiehelimech
    replied
    Just ordered the FL OV10 1400mm from MotionRC.

Question:

In an effort to get better performance, if i fly a smaller battery like a 3000 or 3300 mAh,

Would the reduction in total weight result in better speed?

OR

would I have to basically add that weight back as lead to obtain correct CG?

I saw MerryBoozers fly this aircraft on 3000mAh batteries amd it seemed fast.

Your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Here's from the back seater.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Here's what mine looks like, I just did a headlight restoration kit on the plastic with this one.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Alright, thanks brother!

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Just something I got off Amazon, like a hundred sheets of 12x12. I'll see if I can find a link. I can't find it in my history but something like this. It may be a different thickness. Actually I may have bought it at Michaels...

Amazon.com: Samsill 50 Pack 12" x 12" .007" Clear Craft Plastic Sheets Compatible with Cricut, Stencils, Cards, Journals, Crafts, 3D Embellishments, Clear Craft Plastic,Acetate

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    I cut out and glue much better sheet plastic in the forward three panes. The others I polish with a car polish detailing spray.

I dislike when people cut out and leave out panels. Not only do I not like the look just looking at a plane but I’m video I think it’s more realistic to see reflections in the “glass”.
    What brand of sheet do you use generally?

Leave a comment:

• Amjet
    replied
    I Recently traveled to and participated at the Desert Warbirds event in Coachella, California (near Palm Springs). This is a great contest and benefits two charitable organizations, The Wounded Warrior Project and Rebuilding America's Warriors. Perfect weather and the OV 10 flew rock solid!

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I cut out and glue much better sheet plastic in the forward three panes. The others I polish with a car polish detailing spray.

I dislike when people cut out and leave out panels. Not only do I not like the look just looking at a plane but I’m video I think it’s more realistic to see reflections in the “glass”.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Condolences

fly it proud!
    On your fpv canopy what did you use to get the plastic (glass) clear? Or did you just cut it out as I normally do?

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    Condolences

fly it proud!

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    I had just found out my buddy who I acquired this plane from just passed away today, so tomorrow will be my maiden flight with this bird and in memory of my good friend, who was an 82ed Air Borne veteran. If I know him as I do, he wouldn't want to be remembered any other way, than to have his plane flying high and proudly just the way he built it, so that's what I intend to do.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    I bought the exhaust print made for the 1800mm version of the OV10, scaled it down and glued it on, I think I like the looks of it better than the original foam molding.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    And as per my norm for dual seats, I'll have dual fpv units in this one too

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Today I've taken delivery of a used ov10. I am planning to build it to do fpv. Looking forward to getting her setup for flight

Leave a comment:

• Axelowski
    replied
    Hi guys,

I would like to share my complete re-do of the Freewing OV-10 finally. It is a conversion to a OV-10D. Nose is carved and shaped out of construction foam with consecutive sanding/filling/sanding. 3d priting of cockpit and „disco light“ with the files mentioned earlier in this thread, as well as the pilots from realmodelpilots/uk.

I would like to thank all of you for advice and inspiration i.e. regarding the holographic rainbow foil for the IR jammer or FLIR.

Had fun building it, having fun looking at and flying it, going to have fun in spring!

Take care,

Axel

Click image for larger version  Name:	9761A00C-0E8E-4004-A109-1374DC7C9E71.jpg Views:	5 Size:	369.2 KB ID:	367127Click image for larger version  Name:	6CA2E232-97D2-4186-976C-48B5EE9E73FD.jpg Views:	5 Size:	308.6 KB ID:	367125Click image for larger version  Name:	453BF5D8-D350-4D36-B880-493AFD40E52C.jpg Views:	5 Size:	350.3 KB ID:	367126Click image for larger version  Name:	21B59467-9324-462B-80CC-4974C121C0A5.jpg Views:	5 Size:	224.8 KB ID:	367124

Leave a comment:

Working...
X