Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Steve……..he's always in the good spots
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• HEADS UP ................................... Re: Propeller adapter Type C for OV-10.

During my conversion to Scimitar props for this plane, one of the prop adapters broke just under the threaded shaft. I bought a couple of replacements as follows:
      https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...adapter-type-c
      These seem like the correct adapters, EXCEPT that they are actually for the B-24. They are the right size and length but the holes and screws are not the same. They are designated the same for both the B-24 and the OV-10. THEY ARE NOT!
      1. The holes in the front of the motors are NOT the same size. The little screws provided with the adapters are for the B-24 only, which are smaller than in the motor for the OV-10.
      2. The holes in the adapter themselves are also smaller because they are meant for the B-24. However, it is possible to "tap" them to the proper size using the OV-10 screws. It's delicate, so they MUST be lined up correctly or you may break one or more. If you do break one, I'm not sure Motion RC will be able to match them for you because they may be under the impression that they are the same. Sending you another adapter kit WON'T work as they'll come with the same smaller screws and same smaller screw holes. YOU MUST KEEP THE OLD SCREWS FROM THE OV-10 ADAPTER.
      Even though it's listed that the two motors are the same, they are NOT - at least not in the sense that the holes on the front of them are the same. OV-10 - bigger holes, thus bigger screws.
      I hope Motion RC sees this and do some homework to get the right sized screws and adapters when a customer orders up a replacement prop adapter kit. Also, for when a customer orders up a motor for the OV-10. If it's for the B-24, the old OV-10 adapter won't screw on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3692.JPG
Views:	794
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	263344

Comment

• OH MY MY, that is a huge blunderous fopah
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_204212731_iOS.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	263297
          You going to power it with a couple of these?

Comment

• Tell us about the props. They look like they will pull a lot of power.

Comment

• They are the props from the Eflite EC-1500.
              https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...select-efl5750
              They are 10x8x5, counter rotating. I also had to use the back plate and spinner from the EC and a longer screw to hold the spinner on. I've doubled the ESC size to 60A. I just hope the OV's motors will hold up. I'll have to watch how long and how often I max out the throttle. The EC uses a Power 15 motor, 650kv. It also weighs a couple hundred grams lighter and can do 3D hovering with it's powertrain. The EC seems to fly much faster than the OV-10 and with more grunt. Both fly on 4s. I hope to give the "new" OV a try this weekend.

Comment

• Sounds good! Good luck with the maiden.

Comment

• I'll try to get a video of the smoke trails.

Comment

• My maiden this morning was a complete bust! And when this plane goes down there isn't much left to repair. It is grossly underpowered and I may have just stalled it, but it went straight in on the nose. Fuselage is beyond repair, both booms broke in half and took the plastic connectors for the horizontal stabilizer with them, the center section has a crack that might be repaired, but one flap tore away. Two gear bent as I was trying to bring it around and land.

I broke a cardinal rule of mine and bought this plane probably too soon. I tend to wait and see what others experience and say before I buy a new plane. Now I get to see what the parts are going to cost to see if I even salvage this are walk away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jpmcdo View Post
                      My maiden this morning was a complete bust! And when this plane goes down there isn't much left to repair. It is grossly underpowered and I may have just stalled it, but it went straight in on the nose. Fuselage is beyond repair, both booms broke in half and took the plastic connectors for the horizontal stabilizer with them, the center section has a crack that might be repaired, but one flap tore away. Two gear bent as I was trying to bring it around and land.

I broke a cardinal rule of mine and bought this plane probably too soon. I tend to wait and see what others experience and say before I buy a new plane. Now I get to see what the parts are going to cost to see if I even salvage this are walk away.
                      Sorry to hear this. I haven't experienced that with mine. She is no speedster for sure, but plenty of power to fly like an OV-10. Were you in a slow turn?

Comment

• Originally posted by James View Post

Sorry to hear this. I haven't experienced that with mine. She is no speedster for sure, but plenty of power to fly like an OV-10. Were you in a slow turn?
                        Yes, probably. It was windier than I like and I was also using a runway I rarely have to use. We have two runway's in an X at Buder Park in St. Louis county. I'm so used to flying eflite planes at half and I was slowing down in a sloppy turn since the plane was not trimmed out yet. I'm sure it was my fault but I will say the receiver I used, a Spektrum AR637T showed a high frame loss of 733.

Comment

• This plane is very underpowered compared to what we are used to. We are so used to planes with unlimited vertical and throttle up if you are in trouble... This has more of a full scale level of power. I am extremely happy with the power swap I did. 2 1/2 times stock power plus more efficient.

This mornings video. I only recorded part of one flight.

Comment

• It has been remarked by more than just myself that this plane could really be a bit more powerful. I find that it must be flown between 3/4 to full throttle almost all the time, especially when going into a banked turn or turning with the wind. Some of us have even done prop, ESC and motor mods to get it to fly with more grunt (without pegging the throttle). But of course, you always get those who say, "This plane is fine when flown 'scale' ". However, flying "scale" is not something that those who are sort of new to this game really understand. It does NOT mean you can lope along the whole flight under 1/2 throttle and think nothing bad will happen. Flying "scale" with this plane still means you should crank up the throttle when turning or transitioning with the wind. This is when airspeed drops significantly. I would also like to fly most of my planes around 1/2 throttle during those more "leisurely" times. This plane, stock, can't do it with ease or confidence for the whole flight.
                            I've seen that there are two kinds of flyers (with respect to throttle use) - those who mat the throttle all the time and those who are afraid of the throttle & don't use it when needed. The latter will get a good bite in the butt with this one. It's a pretty good flyer stock but I think it can be a terrific flyer with a bit more "poop". It could become a very good plane for all experience levels, if only ...................................

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              It has been remarked by more than just myself that this plane could really be a bit more powerful. I find that it must be flown between 3/4 to full throttle almost all the time, especially when going into a banked turn or turning with the wind. Some of us have even done prop, ESC and motor mods to get it to fly with more grunt (without pegging the throttle). But of course, you always get those who say, "This plane is fine when flown 'scale' ". However, flying "scale" is not something that those who are sort of new to this game really understand. It does NOT mean you can lope along the whole flight under 1/2 throttle and think nothing bad will happen. Flying "scale" with this plane still means you should crank up the throttle when turning or transitioning with the wind. This is when airspeed drops significantly. I would also like to fly most of my planes around 1/2 throttle during those more "leisurely" times. This plane, stock, can't do it with ease or confidence for the whole flight.
                              I've seen that there are two kinds of flyers (with respect to throttle use) - those who mat the throttle all the time and those who are afraid of the throttle & don't use it when needed. The latter will get a good bite in the butt with this one. It's a pretty good flyer stock but I think it can be a terrific flyer with a bit more "poop". It could become a very good plane for all experience levels, if only ...................................
                              Well said. I'm one that is constantly adjusting the throttle to suit the plane. My crash was most likely my fault. I was fighting the wind and trying to trim. I know better and should have not attempted a maiden today. The cost of a whole new fuselage plus a few odds and ends is the price I paid to keep it flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jpmcdo View Post

Well said. I'm one that is constantly adjusting the throttle to suit the plane. My crash was most likely my fault. I was fighting the wind and trying to trim. I know better and should have not attempted a maiden today. The cost of a whole new fuselage plus a few odds and ends is the price I paid to keep it flying.
                                I still think this plane is a terrific model, in spite of the things I said. If I had to do it all again, knowing what I know now, I'd still buy it. It's unique, just the right size, it's got the looks that only a mother could love but that's one of its appeal. It makes all the right noises on a fly by, takes off well, lands well, handles grass like it was born in it. It can be a modder's dream. If you get another one, just remember to fly it "pedal to the metal" or close to it until you figure out what it needs to not fall out of the sky.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  I still think this plane is a terrific model, in spite of the things I said. If I had to do it all again, knowing what I know now, I'd still buy it. It's unique, just the right size, it's got the looks that only a mother could love but that's one of its appeal. It makes all the right noises on a fly by, takes off well, lands well, handles grass like it was born in it. It can be a modder's dream. If you get another one, just remember to fly it "pedal to the metal" or close to it until you figure out what it needs to not fall out of the sky.
                                  Thanks xviper. I ordered all the parts I need, I hope, to get it back in the air. Battery cover was the only part I couldn't get.

Comment

• Battery cover?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      Battery cover?
                                      The battery hatch/cockpit, It got messed up as well. They are out of stock. I was able to get the clear canopy so will have to play with the battery cover. It not just broke, but compressed.

Comment

• I here some wh,,,,,,,,,g about the plane. It performs to the design specs. If you want something else, based on your needs, have at it, as that's called modifying, don't blame the plane, as it has taken years to get this baby. Remember the alternative in ths particular size plane....Stop complaining...

Comment

• We can complain if we like. We can also modify if we like. I did. I am very happy with my modified Bronco, as long as the winds are calm and it isn't yawing nervously...

FlightLine really should not have put the power system they did in this plane. The only one's saying they like the power it makes have a relationship to Motion.

Comment

Working...
                                          X