Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine OV-10 Bronco Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good!

I thought the OV was supposed to be supporting my mission??

Comment

• vduniec
      That is amazing & another +10 video; as real as it gets. Keep 'em coming ...

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
        Wet Compass

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Compass.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	266506

Repost with file attached.

Wet Compass.stl

Comment

Instrument Panel Coaming Boxes

Starboard Armament Panel
          Port Armament Panel
          APR-39 Indicator

Name:	Console Boxes.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	266511

Repost with files attached.

Stbd Dash Boxes.stl
          Port Dash Boxes.stl
          APR-39 Indicator.stl

Comment

Air Vent

Name:	Air Vent.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	266514

Air Vent.stl

Comment

Airframe components

Canopy Handles
              Wheel Hubs

The canopy handles are designed to be installed from the inside of the canopy frame. They are on both sides of the aircraft. Remove the canopy. Cut a hole large enough to fit the handle through the hole from the inside and glue the flats to the canopy frame using contact cement.

The OV-10 has a windshield wiper and I just downloaded one for a helicopter from Thingiverse and used it.

Click image for larger version Name:	Canopy Handles.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	266521

Canopy Handle.stl

Comment

• Has anyone had trouble with their motor mounts melting? I ran my OV-10 for a couple of minutes on the ground to see if I had a couple of extra minutes past my timer. Later I heard some rubbing noise and found out that the mounts melted a bit. Running everything stock.

Comment

• How long and high were you running the motors on the ground, and was this before or after your flight? The motors depend on airflow to remain cool, so I would not recommend running an electric prop plane on the ground for any longer than necessary. The same goes with EDFs.

The OV-10's motor mounts are made of the same plastic and general thickness as most of our other warbirds from FlightLine and other brands. Tens upon tens of thousands upon thousands of models in circulation and I've never see a motor mount actually melt under normal use cases.
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Tono Even full scale aircraft cannot just sit there on the ground at high throttle settings for too long. Things will overheat in such situations.
                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                      Tono Even full scale aircraft cannot just sit there on the ground at high throttle settings for too long. Things will overheat in such situations.
                      I don't call a 1 minute run long. Even full size aircraft can do this. I have yet to have a model overheat like this and melt the mount. There is just poor airflow and the mount is made from the wrong type of plastic in this case. Someone that is flying at full throttle a lot will eventually run into this over time.

Comment

• Was it a couple of minutes or one minute? Two minutes is quite a long time to be at full throttle. I don't know any situation where you would run a full scale engine for that long at that throttle setting. You can easily overheat an ESC under those conditions.
                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by Tono View Post
                          Has anyone had trouble with their motor mounts melting? I ran my OV-10 for a couple of minutes on the ground to see if I had a couple of extra minutes past my timer. Later I heard some rubbing noise and found out that the mounts melted a bit. Running everything stock.
                          A couple minutes of run time on the time ground isn't usually advised, and is quite a long time for static testing. Ground testing temps. and airborne temperature of the ESC's and Motors can have a noticeable difference. While flying, the airflow helps significantly to maintain proper temperature of electrical components.

It sounds like you may have been attempting a run-time test to see what theoretical flight time you could achieve on a given battery capacity. One of the many power/watt meters (or telemetry components if your radio brand supports it) on the market for RC can be a useful way to see performance data while running the power system for a very brief period of time (less than 10 seconds is usually all that is needed). With all safety protocols in place, I perform one test at full throttle to note that data and then lower the throttle to half to take note of that value as well. That data can then be used to calculate the estimated potential flight time with the intended flight battery.

Comment

• OK you experts out there I need some help. I have tried 4 different receivers all Spectrums they all bind with my DX7 transmitter. Everything works except.......Flaps and throttle???? I get 4 beeps from the esc but that is all. The same with each receiver. I have tested the flap servos with a servo tester and they all work. I have looked at the video to ​ esc's receiver on throttle full up transmitter on and nothing??? SO what is the problem....a bad blue board??

Comment

• If you suspect it's the blue board try bypassing it to verify everything works. Also, look to see if you're getting full travel command from Tx in either "travel" screen or one scroll to the right screen..

Comment

• Where's your throttle trim? Is it in the middle where all models start out or did you lower it to the bottom? Is your throttle possibly reversed? Did you tell the TX that you have "1 AIL, 1 flap"? Then did you open up the flap menu and do the final programming?

Comment

• Not R/C related per say, but a cool story related to an OV-10 in Vietnam.
                                  About 3 years ago my then girlfriend and I were vising family in Madera. My Sister mentioned she had never been to Merced Air Museum in 50+ years she'd driven by... we finished breakfast with my intent of fixing that immediately. We drove to Merced and I gave what I considered a pretty damned descent tour of the planes if I do say so myself.

Afterwards I was in the gift shop talking to a wonderful lady while my Sis and girlfriend had a soda. I made a comment about an OV-10 die-cast on the counter. The lady, getting watery eyed proceeded to tell me about her daughter having lunch with her boss at a company function a few years earlier.
                                  Daughter: "My Dad was in Vietnam."
                                  Boss: "My Dad was too."
                                  Daughter: "My Dad was shot down on Thanksgiving Day"
                                  Boss: "My Dad rescued somebody on Thanksgiving Day..."

They called their Dads, one in California and one in Florida and they reconnected and shared their memories and stories.
                                  Their children having lunch together, random conversation so many years later... Her Dad an OV-10 Bronco pilot... incredible.

As an old Navy Corpsman I couldn't help but get goosebumps and it's an honor to have been part of that conversation.
                                  Sorry if this isn't an appropriate forum, please delete if it is... just wanted to share what I thought was cool Story.
                                  This is just another reason I will most likely be ordering this beauty of a bird.

Thank you to all Vets past and present.

"Mad Doc"

Comment

• Originally posted by maddoc1 View Post
                                    Not R/C related per say, but a cool story related to an OV-10 in Vietnam.
                                    About 3 years ago my then girlfriend and I were vising family in Madera. My Sister mentioned she had never been to Merced Air Museum in 50+ years she'd driven by... we finished breakfast with my intent of fixing that immediately. We drove to Merced and I gave what I considered a pretty damned descent tour of the planes if I do say so myself.

Afterwards I was in the gift shop talking to a wonderful lady while my Sis and girlfriend had a soda. I made a comment about an OV-10 die-cast on the counter. The lady, getting watery eyed proceeded to tell me about her daughter having lunch with her boss at a company function a few years earlier.
                                    Daughter: "My Dad was in Vietnam."
                                    Boss: "My Dad was too."
                                    Daughter: "My Dad was shot down on Thanksgiving Day"
                                    Boss: "My Dad rescued somebody on Thanksgiving Day..."

They called their Dads, one in California and one in Florida and they reconnected and shared their memories and stories.
                                    Their children having lunch together, random conversation so many years later... Her Dad an OV-10 Bronco pilot... incredible.

As an old Navy Corpsman I couldn't help but get goosebumps and it's an honor to have been part of that conversation.
                                    Sorry if this isn't an appropriate forum, please delete if it is... just wanted to share what I thought was cool Story.
                                    This is just another reason I will most likely be ordering this beauty of a bird.

Thank you to all Vets past and present.

"Mad Doc"
                                    Machines are conceived, created, and operated by human beings. The human connection never ceases to amaze, instruct, and inspire me. Thank you for sharing this story!!!
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Maiden today, balanced on marked CG but felt a little unstable. Lands great, need to tune down controls. Has Turbine sound card which sounds awesome on startup and shut down. Was flying at 3/4 to full throttle entire flight. Wish they had gone with about 25% more power on the motors. Looks great in the air tho.

Comment

• If you had that 50% you would want another... Trust me, it should have been 75-100% more.

Comment

Here's a flight from today. Formation with Ray flying his OV-10 old school way with me on his wing on FPV. EvanD kept violating our airspace with his Freewing Scooter.

Name:	Form 1 Cap.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	267395
                                          What a great flight, really enjoyed that :)
                                          4:21 was a little close! lol
                                          This would be such a fun plane to do some fpv low level recon missions!

Comment

Working...
                                          X