You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine OV-10 Bronco Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Alpha View Post
    Shrop Welcome to Hobby Squawk! I hope you stay a while!

    The FlightLine 1.6m P-38 eclipsed the FMS 1.4m P-38, but it's not a fair comparison since they were priced differently and geared toward different markets.

    Following that logic, the FMS 1.7m Tigercat is $549, which is 30% more than this FlightLine OV-10. Yes, the FMS Tigercat is a great machine, but it's targeted toward an entirely different machine than our beginner-friendly, easy-to-transport, 7-8 minute flight time, $379 1.4m OV-10. I suppose we could have made a 1.6m 1/7.5 scale OV-10, but 1) we already have a ProFly 1.8m OV-10 and they're too close for comfort, and 2) a 1.6m would have cost $549 and be heavier than the 1.8m 80mm A-10.

    Ultimately, we make the call based on our intended audience for a specific bird. Bottom line is that there will be plenty of $500+ airplanes coming this year, but we didn't want this one to be one of them. The majority of our most popular selling products center in the $300-$400 range. Above that, and the fall off is precipitous.


    Also, the wingspan measurement alone is a deceptive number with an OV-10... this 1.4m OV-10 is 1/8.5 scale, and it stands taller and longer than the 1/10 scale 1.6m P-38 from FlightLine. If we had made them the same scale at 1/10, the OV-10 would have been 1.2m.

    Click image for larger version Name:	DSC01916.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	248227
    Thanks for the welcome Alpha, been a long time bystander to the Squawk, but with the current lockdown and little opportunity to enjoy my latest FW/FL purchases (AL37, T-33, 1600mm Spitty and F4U) thought it was time to register and contribute. You make salient points in your reply and should be warmly congratulated for continuing, during these unprecedented times, to feed us RC hungry foamie flyers with new planes to hue and cry over.
    From my personal point of view there is really very little price difference between say the FMS 1700mm 6S Tigercat and the FW 1600mm 4S Tigercat, yet they are poles apart in specification and performance. I am a platinum FMS customer so I get a 10% discount when I buy direct from the FMS website. They also offer 100% free shipping to me in Australia. When I buy a Freewing plane I am looking at at least AU$180 in shipping. We do have a very limited number of local FW dealers here in Aus, but it is always cheaper for me to buy from overseas and cop the postage charge. So for me personally the comparison between the FW and FMS F7F's is valid as they are very similarly priced. I should also declare that having owned (or test flown for friends) over 250 types in my time flying rc I have recently reduced my own personal fleet to just 6S birds now, so I am biased towards 6S.
    Having said all this, if I lived in the US I would enjoy free shipping from Motion RC and not be ripped off with an Aus dollar exchange rate that makes it less valuable than toilet paper squares at the moment, but I can't help where I live and Austalia has always been a back of beyond, insignificant little backwater when it comes to RC.
    Keep up the great work Alpha and team , I genuinely look forward to seeing the many upcoming Bronco mods and schemes once they are in the hands of the community. Similarly I am always keenly anticipating and hoping on what's coming next. I'd kill for an 80mm Hawker Hunter and a 1600-1800mm Mossie if you're asking ;-)
    Fair winds, blue skies and clean hands to all Squawkers from Down Under.

    Comment


    • Shrop Welcome again, Shrop, all good points; I wish I could do more to service Australia but it's not my place to do so.

      I'll keep taking a look at that Hunter and Mossie ;)
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

      Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

      Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

      Comment


      • Originally posted by James View Post

        Certain models, we have done it for (AL37 being the most recent). But yes. Unpainted/decaled planes don't sell nearly as much as the painted/decaled ones. I've painted my L-39 and would need a magnifying glass to make out the old decals.
        I agree with wvrailfan, it would be nice to have an option to purchase non-decalled. It really is a growing trend to repaint for a personal touch, and particularly at the field when you guys keep coming out with "must have" birds and yours isn't the only identical arf on the flightline lol
        An option for a supplied decal sheet would be the icing on the proverbial cake :)

        Regardless, it has been a while that I have been tempted to buy a new bird. In this though, I am very, very, tempted...

        Comment


        • The old adage you can please some people some of the time but never please everyone all of the time is no more evident than this hobby. We all have our preferences and favorites. Therefore it's virtually impossible to satisfy everyone's tastes in one release. I may or may not be a big fan of the OV-10 but what gets me up every morning is knowing that the company I work for strives for diversity and bringing new and bold models to the market never before seen. That excites me. Do I want to see the obvious classic, iconic models? Of course! But I have to admit, these side steps to lesser popular, but no doubt equally important aircraft is a thrilling reason I love to be a part of...

          "What's next?"
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

          Comment


          • Roger that..... I sure didn't give a flip about the L-39, but I bought it anyway... So glad I did!! Great flying model!! Not a T-33 fan at all, but same story! Beautiful model!! So I just have decided to buy every one that comes out and be happy!!!! Bronco is ordered!! Happy Easter everyone!! Jerry

            Comment


            • Hi Alpha,
              I was really disappointed to miss the new product unveiling, but as soon as I saw what it was, I hit the pre-order button. Another fantastic plane from Flightline, there is no doubt. It was great to see some great news during these times of self-isolation. Our fields are closed, but at least I now have no excuses for not having a large fleet ready when it is lifted. Just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start up the paint factory. Callie and I have been busy over the winter :-)
              Congrats to the Flightline team for producing another winner!
              Best Easter Present that I have ever gotten (so far). Happy Easter everyone!

              Comment


              • The more I watch the production video the more I fall in love with this model and glad I have already pulled the trigger. Even the colour is growing on me so I will be leaving it as it is albeit I will be fading the green on the highest areas and add some weathering. With this big cockpit and large canopy windows it will benefit from a highly detailed cockpit and detailed pilots. I sure would be highly grateful for some 3D files from the talented and creative pilots in this forum.
                Finally thanks to; Alpha and FL for this gorgeous aircraft, James for the awesome video, OV10 for a great review and rest of the Motion for all their great work.
                And to top it all for me the estimated delivery time coincides with my birthday.
                Happy days!!!
                Tolga
                Instagram: @_t01ga_
                YouTube: t01ga

                Comment


                • Hey, a question for the whole group including Charlie and James - I noticed something on the flight video when it was in slo-mo... there's some fuselage flexing going on (and those landing gears absorbing a lot of abuse, which was really very cool).

                  Check this out - about 10 seconds worth starting at time stamp 31.50

                  You can see the fuselage bending right in front of the wing, which is a concern. Now obviously the foam is a flexible material and its completely normal for it to be able to bend a bit, but I worry about cracks or even a break happening in a hard landing. So I am wondering if there are some slots in the battery compartment (like the 80mm A10 has) so that we can glue in some CF tubes there?? Even if there are not any slots, I think I will add some CF tubes just to provide a bit of strength there.

                  This is such a cool plane, I am stoked.




                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

                  Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

                  Comment


                  • Looks really good! I’m going to order one once some people start to convert to 6S.

                    Since it has been brought up a lot i would just like to add that I’m solidly in the camp of mainly 6S planes and my preference would be for these bigger aircraft to be 6S compatible. Like most people i fly with i have gravitated towards 6S for airplanes that go to the club field and 3-4S only for small park flyers. I completely understand you guys are trying to hit a price point and have to make compromises to get there.

                    Thanks for all of your hard work guys! Job well done πŸ‘

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

                      Welcome back! Great to see you back on HobbySquawk. What a perfect time to head on back with a brand new OV-10 .
                      Even a broken clock is right twice a day ( or year in my case). I think that burns up all my luck in that rabbit's foot. Looking forward to getting back on here more often... looks like a lot of catch up reading to do. Go light on that lasagna buddy - pace yourself.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                        Hey, a question for the whole group including Charlie and James - I noticed something on the flight video when it was in slo-mo... there's some fuselage flexing going on (and those landing gears absorbing a lot of abuse, which was really very cool).

                        Check this out - about 10 seconds worth starting at time stamp 31.50

                        You can see the fuselage bending right in front of the wing, which is a concern. Now obviously the foam is a flexible material and its completely normal for it to be able to bend a bit, but I worry about cracks or even a break happening in a hard landing. So I am wondering if there are some slots in the battery compartment (like the 80mm A10 has) so that we can glue in some CF tubes there?? Even if there are not any slots, I think I will add some CF tubes just to provide a bit of strength there.

                        This is such a cool plane, I am stoked.
                        themudduck I watched that at least half dozen times on a 27" monitor at full screen and just couldn't see the actual fuselage flexing.
                        It looks more of an optics aspect with regards to watching the booms and wing flexing all around in relation to the fuselage.
                        I also looked at where James was crushing the gear by hand at the 31:42 mark and did not see the fuselage flex.
                        So I next went to the actual model and put one hand firmly on the top wing center while lifting on the fuselage from under the nose wheel area.
                        It would flex a hint of movement but only if the canopy was removed.
                        There is no slots in the side walls like there was on the A-10 (I remember being the first do that with 1/4" square CF.)
                        In the attached pic(click to enlarge) you will however see that there is 1-1/4 x 2 rectangular recesses that are 1/4" deep that could have 1/4 square CF tube run the length of the side wall just by simply cutting 1/4" wide notches in the divisions between those recesses.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1388.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	248309
                        Is it needed, in all honesty most likely not (just like with the A-10) but it also can't hurt if you are concerned and want an absolute tank like compartment for those precious power bricks held in there.
                        Best regards,
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                        Comment


                        • Just an observation on those wanting this to be 6s. I have the ProFly OV 10 and fly it on 5s with E-Flite 32s. The plane weighs about 15lbs all up but flies very well. It would seem that with the wing size the weight per square inch would be high, but the airfoil develops a lot of lift. The FliteLine version on 6s I think would be ridiculously overpowered due to it weighing way less than the balsa version. Yes I know that longer flight times will be possible, but I don't think the airframe will hold up. Some one has already mentioned the fuselage flexing. Of course if you don't have any 4s batteries I can see your dilemma but after changing motors, ESCs, props, etc, you could have purchased some 4s batteries. Then again, that's what cool about this hobby, keep it stock or modify it to your liking. One other note, this one is much more detailed than my ProFly version.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
                            Hey Charlie, I have 6 4s 5000ma and would two of those be too big or is there room with them moved aft?
                            I would love to paint this one in Desert Storm VMO-2 scheme to mate up with my Profly VMO-2 76' UU and i have looked for decals and pics to compile for Callie to use but have found little. The only thing i can come up with is a 1/48 set of decals from Cutting Edge, #48010 and limited edition at that. Below is a snip from a pic i found but have not found the matching 3 views for placement. Would any pony fan have this set that can scan or pic the 3-views?
                            Charlie or anyone, What color would be best to recommend to Callie for the nomenclature color. If i use the color chart off a modeling site, would it be the Dark Tan FS30219 or Earth Red FS30117
                            sam51401 Hello Sam...…….You should have no issue with 2 5000mAh 4S bricks.
                            The pics that I show are serial pairs of 2S 5000 (total of 4 2S 5000 Admirals and the 2 serial adapters)
                            One of the pics I show in my build posting where they are moved 1.5 inch aft of the forward battery bay bulkhead so as to make the CG.
                            Regarding the decal 3 views, sorry I don't have any Desert Storm references.
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                              Just an observation on those wanting this to be 6s. I have the ProFly OV 10 and fly it on 5s with E-Flite 32s. The plane weighs about 15lbs all up but flies very well. It would seem that with the wing size the weight per square inch would be high, but the airfoil develops a lot of lift. The FliteLine version on 6s I think would be ridiculously overpowered due to it weighing way less than the balsa version. Yes I know that longer flight times will be possible, but I don't think the airframe will hold up. Some one has already mentioned the fuselage flexing. Of course if you don't have any 4s batteries I can see your dilemma but after changing motors, ESCs, props, etc, you could have purchased some 4s batteries. Then again, that's what cool about this hobby, keep it stock or modify it to your liking. One other note, this one is much more detailed than my ProFly version.
                              Rosytime Absolutely all salient points and could not agree more
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                                Hey, a question for the whole group including Charlie and James - I noticed something on the flight video when it was in slo-mo... there's some fuselage flexing going on (and those landing gears absorbing a lot of abuse, which was really very cool).

                                Check this out - about 10 seconds worth starting at time stamp 31.50

                                You can see the fuselage bending right in front of the wing, which is a concern. Now obviously the foam is a flexible material and its completely normal for it to be able to bend a bit, but I worry about cracks or even a break happening in a hard landing. So I am wondering if there are some slots in the battery compartment (like the 80mm A10 has) so that we can glue in some CF tubes there?? Even if there are not any slots, I think I will add some CF tubes just to provide a bit of strength there.

                                This is such a cool plane, I am stoked.



                                It's just after that time stamp when it goes "slo mo". However, that's not unusual for most foam planes. If you capture a "slo mo" clip of almost any largish foamie plane rolling on grass or bumpy surface, it will do the "bendy dance" to some extent.

                                Comment


                                • Have you ever seen a steel rifle barrel in slow mo when it's fired, flexes all over the place, and that's steel not foam
                                  https://www.military.com/video/guns/.../1458270422001

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Rosytime View Post
                                    Just an observation on those wanting this to be 6s. I have the ProFly OV 10 and fly it on 5s with E-Flite 32s. The plane weighs about 15lbs all up but flies very well. It would seem that with the wing size the weight per square inch would be high, but the airfoil develops a lot of lift. The FliteLine version on 6s I think would be ridiculously overpowered due to it weighing way less than the balsa version. Yes I know that longer flight times will be possible, but I don't think the airframe will hold up. Some one has already mentioned the fuselage flexing. Of course if you don't have any 4s batteries I can see your dilemma but after changing motors, ESCs, props, etc, you could have purchased some 4s batteries. Then again, that's what cool about this hobby, keep it stock or modify it to your liking. One other note, this one is much more detailed than my ProFly version.
                                    Are you saying you fly the ProFly on a SINGLE 5S?

                                    Because we are talking about flying the new OV-10 on a SINGLE 6S battery. Much like the FMS Tigercat.

                                    i have over $5k worth of 6S batteries and exactly 2 4S batteries, as I primarily fly 6S EDFs.

                                    I for one would like to be able to fly this new bird on a single 6S that I already own. I have no intention of buying $1000+ worth of 4S batteries, ever.

                                    Amazing release from Freewing and Motion, just want to be able to use my 50+ 6S batteries. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

                                    PS: A single 6S 5000 is lighter than the recommended two 4S batteries.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

                                      Are you saying you fly the ProFly on a SINGLE 5S?

                                      Because we are talking about flying the new OV-10 on a SINGLE 6S battery. Much like the FMS Tigercat.

                                      i have over $5k worth of 6S batteries and exactly 2 4S batteries, as I primarily fly 6S EDFs.

                                      I for one would like to be able to fly this new bird on a single 6S that I already own. I have no intention of buying $1000+ worth of 4S batteries, ever.

                                      Amazing release from Freewing and Motion, just want to be able to use my 50+ 6S batteries. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

                                      PS: A single 6S 5000 is lighter than the recommended two 4S batteries.
                                      My thoughts exactly. I will not be investing in one off batteries for planes when i have a slew of 6S batteries.

                                      Nevertheless, this is an awesome plane!

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

                                        Are you saying you fly the ProFly on a SINGLE 5S?

                                        Because we are talking about flying the new OV-10 on a SINGLE 6S battery. Much like the FMS Tigercat.

                                        i have over $5k worth of 6S batteries and exactly 2 4S batteries, as I primarily fly 6S EDFs.

                                        I for one would like to be able to fly this new bird on a single 6S that I already own. I have no intention of buying $1000+ worth of 4S batteries, ever.

                                        Amazing release from Freewing and Motion, just want to be able to use my 50+ 6S batteries. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

                                        PS: A single 6S 5000 is lighter than the recommended two 4S batteries.
                                        JLambCWU This airframe was spec'd and designed around the more medium range expenses of the ePower platforms.
                                        In order to run this on a 6S system the airframe structure would have had to been in the 1500-1600mm range.
                                        Back in the earlier planning aspects when I expressed my preferences to Alpha for a larger deal, I actually concurred with all the cost parameters
                                        that he needed to have been considered in order for this to be a widely acceptable release for all pocketbooks.
                                        Unfortunately the thoughts of modding this to run on a 6S successfully are going to be highly problematic due to space and strength requirements in the booms.
                                        Since you mention the FMS Tigercat, I have a couple spare of those 4258-kV460 and sized it up to the engine pod area.
                                        The diameter is too large and the length is way long. As a long time power modder I am not aware of any 6S capable motor in the 35XX size that would fit physically.
                                        As Rosytime accurately pointed out, the expense to mod to a 6S power system will far exceed the cost of a couple 4S.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by OV10 View Post

                                          JLambCWU This airframe was spec'd and designed around the more medium range expenses of the ePower platforms.
                                          In order to run this on a 6S system the airframe structure would have had to been in the 1500-1600mm range.
                                          Back in the earlier planning aspects when I expressed my preferences to Alpha for a larger deal, I actually concurred with all the cost parameters
                                          that he needed to have been considered in order for this to be a widely acceptable release for all pocketbooks.
                                          Unfortunately the thoughts of modding this to run on a 6S successfully are going to be highly problematic due to space and strength requirements in the booms.
                                          Since you mention the FMS Tigercat, I have a couple spare of those 4258-kV460 and sized it up to the engine pod area.
                                          The diameter is too large and the length is way long. As a long time power modder I am not aware of any 6S capable motor in the 35XX size that would fit physically.
                                          As Rosytime accurately pointed out, the expense to mod to a 6S power system will far exceed the cost of a couple 4S.
                                          Totally agree with the cost/structure consideration to keep this model open to the masses, especially in price. While I would have liked to see a 6S system, what Alpha and the rest of the group has come up with is awesome. I was one of the first pre’orders regardless. Mine will get converted and will post it up for those wishing to do the same. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X