Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Alpha, I was hoping someone would come out with a decent sized foam OV-10. This is perfect.

Some pictures of the one I flew in the Air Force.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	248656Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	248657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	1821
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	248658Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	1821
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	248659

Comment

• OV10 they are made by JP. I couldn’t get any info about the structure of the wheels from any website but they are cheap enough to try (try searching ‘JP white wheels’.
      Tolga
      Instagram: @_t01ga_
      YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Uncle Bob's RC Welcome to the Squawk and from one Nam era vet to another thanx for your service. I guess those pics dispel the idea that all the AF versions were gray.
        I have had a long standing infatuation for the Bronco even though I was attached to Intruders.
        Here's my PC desktop background of one my squadrons birds with guess what sitting behind First Bronco I ever sat in.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	A6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	248665
        click to enlarge
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by Jets and Wings View Post
          In Germany they were used as a target tow plane!

Name:	German Bronco.jpg
Views:	1654
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	248549
          The Germans came up with their own target tug versions http://www.germanwing.de/Targettug.htm

Name:	ab.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	248681

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
            OV10 they are made by JP. I couldn’t get any info about the structure of the wheels from any website but they are cheap enough to try (try searching ‘JP white wheels’.
            t01ga After some intense googling all I could find was shops across the pond and then I saw well OK you're in the UK...…….makes sense now.
            From stateside right here in Motions shop it looks like the DuBro Low Bounce are gonna be the ticket with 4mm axle hole and just a little white paint on the hub.
            At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• OV10 they are identical but obviously Dubro ones are better quality cause they are rubber. Only concern is they are one of the heaviest tyres in the market. JP wheels are 29,5 and 30,5 grams respectively. If you happen to get the Dubro ones please let me know about the weight.
              Tolga

Comment

• OV10 I found out the Dubro weights; 2 1/2” is 36gr and 2 3/4” is 43gr. The difference is negligible so I might be looking into them as well.
                Tolga

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudderman98 View Post
                  Happy Easter everyone!

Alpha, would it be possible to have two offerings of the OV10? A plain version for those of us who want to do a different paint scheme and the current version? Such as was done with the AL37 and the FA/18.

That would make repainting the '10 that much easier than having to add multiple coats of a lighter color (white) to hide the green thus keeping the weight to a minimum.
                  Hello there, Rudderman98 ! It's a fair question that deserves a straight answer:

Candidly, the economics of offering two colorways for the same aircraft, especially at launch, doesn't work out for most planes. In fact, to date it never has. It's not as simple as just the painting step alone. To have a second color, we need to have two separate production lines, two separate paint lines, two separate sub-component lines (over fifty colored sub-components to paint/transport/track separately), two SKUs for every part (dozens), and then have to stock two planes' worth of spare parts in that color which requires inventory resources.

For any of that to pencil out, we need quantity, and, quite frankly, Base Color models have never come close to even beginning to pencil out. I have to chuckle to myself at how many times I have pushed for Base Color models despite it never working out every previous time. Inescapable, the fact remains that at any given day we are mass-producing 10+ model types from jets to warbirds of many sizes in the hundreds, so changing that vast and complex system to sell a few more Grays unfortunately isn't tenable.

By comparison, the "much easier" route is for a modeler to spray paint a layer of primer gray to cover up the green in one coat, then proceed with light gray or white. I use AmmoByMig "One Shot" primer or a cheaper equivalent. Rustoleum 2X works as well. Spray painting a new base coat takes minutes for a modeler to do, and helps me keep the factory focused on more efficient expenditure of our limited time and resources.

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks,
                  Alpha
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Are the decals factory applied or does the decals come on a sheet to allow the modeler to apply?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                      Are the decals factory applied or does the decals come on a sheet to allow the modeler to apply?
                      Mad Baron I've already answered this in my build post#42 but will be glad to answer again They are water slides and all are factory applied.
                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• The great benefit of factory installed water slide decals compared to pre-applied vinyl is the ability to paint right over them, essentially concealing the decals completely or very close to it.

I have yet to experience an issue painting over a factory paint scheme that had pre-applied water slide decals. Some considerations, planning, and modification(s) may need to be made though. For example, examining the pre-applied water slide decal condition and application, such as whether or not it was applied perfectly flat or does the decal(s) have bubbles, wrinkles, etc.

Comment

• If you’ve ever seen t-cats repaints you’d know he’s telling the truth.

Comment

• Looking forward to the release of this beautiful model! Even though hangar space is now at a premium for me, I am considering getting one. Would be a great platform to drop in my DJI occusync air FPV setup with head tracking. Long flight times, and the huge cockpit make this the perfect platform for it!

Comment

• Re-painting the airframe is a piece of cake. However, masking the clear portion of the canopy is a real BEAR!

Old Dawg

Comment

• It will be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Easter all!!!!
                                Love the hobby for sure! Thanks Team! Jerry

Comment

• Alpha,

Thanks for the explanation and the insights into the design and marketing considerations.

i was excited when you started offering base gray planes at first but to be honest, it doesn’t seem to make much difference to me with the paints I use. I pretty much repaint all of my planes and I don’t even bother putting on a primer coat. I use Home Depot latex house paint samples and they cover the existing colors easily with just one coat.

Here’s a photo of the Flightline navy blue Corsair repainted in Royal Navy colors with no primer used. The original dark colors weren’t an issue, even with the light underside color.

Even though it’s not fiscally feasible I want to say, “Thanks anyway, for making the push for us repainters.”

Vic

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Hello there, Rudderman98 ! It's a fair question that deserves a straight answer:

Candidly, the economics of offering two colorways for the same aircraft, especially at launch, doesn't work out for most planes. In fact, to date it never has. It's not as simple as just the painting step alone. To have a second color, we need to have two separate production lines, two separate paint lines, two separate sub-component lines (over fifty colored sub-components to paint/transport/track separately), two SKUs for every part (dozens), and then have to stock two planes' worth of spare parts in that color which requires inventory resources.

For any of that to pencil out, we need quantity, and, quite frankly, Base Color models have never come close to even beginning to pencil out. I have to chuckle to myself at how many times I have pushed for Base Color models despite it never working out every previous time. Inescapable, the fact remains that at any given day we are mass-producing 10+ model types from jets to warbirds of many sizes in the hundreds, so changing that vast and complex system to sell a few more Grays unfortunately isn't tenable.

By comparison, the "much easier" route is for a modeler to spray paint a layer of primer gray to cover up the green in one coat, then proceed with light gray or white. I use AmmoByMig "One Shot" primer or a cheaper equivalent. Rustoleum 2X works as well. Spray painting a new base coat takes minutes for a modeler to do, and helps me keep the factory focused on more efficient expenditure of our limited time and resources.

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks,
                                  Alpha

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                    As an avid (re)painter of my models through the years I feel compelled to step in here and echo Alpha's thoughts here. I have heard a lot of folks over the years clamor for a "Base Grey" or some level of base color version for a model to come out but the simple truth is, these days there is no need. I may struggle with a lot of mods in this hobby but painting isn't one of them. It's terrifically easy for ANY of us to take an existing model and spray it down with primer and then your chosen base paint to make it the livery of your choice. For me it's a passion and a lot of fun, but for some, I get that it is not. However, please understand it's much easier than you think it is and the payoff is worth it.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• vduniec Beautiful repaint, but coming from you that's Ops Normal!

My comment about primer was because the poster wanted white as a final color. In that context, going from the OV-10's green to white would be helped by a single gray primer coat. But in general, you're right, if the original and final colors are "close enough", I usually skip the primer step. If anything, I shoot thick primer just for fun. I like painting any layer of anything and am always sad when the final coat goes on.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                        Looking forward to the release of this beautiful model! Even though hangar space is now at a premium for me, I am considering getting one. Would be a great platform to drop in my DJI occusync air FPV setup with head tracking. Long flight times, and the huge cockpit make this the perfect platform for it!
                                        Definitely, FPV is going to be a dream on this one for sure. I would love to see the DJI setup eventually is your do it Michael

Comment

• Love seeing how the blades look when the sun hits them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X