You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Nexa 1500mm P-47D Razorback "Touch of Texas" (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merry Boozer RC View Post
    Alpha quick question on all these new nexa planes I know this is a big ask but would it be possible in the future to offer a power system as a second part number for guys wanting a turn key ARF? So for instance the Nexa P-47 it could come with the Flightline Corsair prop and motor esc combo and all the servos to complete the model and it’s sold as its own part number for like $199 or however much it comes out to and then a guy knows he has everything to complete the model. On that same thought would it be possible to have you make a scale prop to complement any new Nexa model the Corsair prop blade are perfect it would just need a different hub to make it a 4 blade. This could also be an upgrade for guys with the Corsair that want a 4 blade prop?
    I second this motion...

Comment

Are there any thoughts about putting a Saito FG-14C or perhaps a Saito FG-21 into this Nexa P-47? Any info or thoughts on this would be great. I really like the nexa p-47, but i want my next build to be gas 4stroke. I want to make sure it's got plenty of power.

Comment

Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
        Are there any thoughts about putting a Saito FG-14C or perhaps a Saito FG-21 into this Nexa P-47? Any info or thoughts on this would be great. I really like the nexa p-47, but i want my next build to be gas 4stroke. I want to make sure it's got plenty of power.
        Anyone? Would really like to get some info on these possible power options in this Nexa P47.

Thanks.

Comment

I am making up my mind to try gas powered RC plane. I am trying to decide what will the first balsa plane with gas power. This P-47D seems very interesting.

But I lack experience on gas power. Before jumping in, I would like to get some advices from this forum.

1. how much weight difference between gas powered and battery powered model?

2. any disadvantage shall I be aware of for gas powered model, comparing with battery powered one?

3. Is there any important flying characteristics between foam-battery-powered model and balsa-gas-powered one?

4. what is the typical tank capacity for P-47D? what is typical flight type for the tank in choice? Say I just fly it normally, not crazy fast.

5. what are essential accessories i should buy? To make working with gas powered balsa model easy.

6. how hard to fix balsa model? I feel it quite easy to fix foam model, but obviously I know little about balsa one except some rubber-band powered balsa model, which is too flimsy and super easy to damage.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post
            I am making up my mind to try gas powered RC plane. I am trying to decide what will the first balsa plane with gas power. This P-47D seems very interesting.

But I lack experience on gas power. Before jumping in, I would like to get some advices from this forum.

2. any disadvantage shall I be aware of for gas powered model, comparing with battery powered one?

3. Is there any important flying characteristics between foam-battery-powered model and balsa-gas-powered one?

4. what is the typical tank capacity for P-47D? what is typical flight type for the tank in choice? Say I just fly it normally, not crazy fast.

5. what are essential accessories i should buy? To make working with gas powered balsa model easy.

6. how hard to fix balsa model? I feel it quite easy to fix foam model, but obviously I know little about balsa one except some rubber-band powered balsa model, which is too flimsy and super easy to damage.

Thanks a lot!
            Good luck getting an answer. I asked a simple engine question about the Nexa p47 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for an answer!!!

Best I can tell you gas / balsa generally fly heavier and land faster.

Balsa is much harder to fix than foam. Not impossible by any stretch but foam you can simply slap on some foam tac and call it good. Balsa requires a bit more work, but can be can be fixed in the event it needs to be. Usually balsa requires some sort of replacement balsa or fiber glass etc. Balsa requires much more modeling work compared to foam.

Comment

Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post

Thanks a lot!
              I started with foam/electric planes, then got 2 gas/glow balsa planes as a present and now that's all I like to fly. So I'll try to answer your questions but admitting I'm a little biased.

1) Generally I find electric/battery weighs more. An electric motor weighs less then a gas/glow motor, however the battery/batteries weighs more then a fuel tank

2) There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
              Electric is simple and clean, but you have limited flight times, and as planes get bigger electric becomes more expensive. I.E. 60 size electric motor = $100, 80 amp esc = $100, 2) 5000 6s batteries = $100 each/$200, total $400. Compare to a 60 size gas/glow engine = $200, std size servo = $20, receiver battery = $30, total $250.

Electric plane will fly about 5-8 minutes depending on throttle management, gas planes can fly 15 minutes, glow about 10 minutes. There is a mess to clean up with glow, not as bad with gas. Gas/glow is much more of initial set up compared to electric.

3) There have been great improvements in foam planes, so they fly light and good, but in my opinion balsa planes just fly way better. A balsa plane is generally heavier then foam. Heavy planes handle wind better, fly more solid, and feel more real in the air. A heavier plane also requires more speed when landing, and tip stalls can happen.

Be aware a foamy ARF is different than a balsa ARF. A foamy ARF usually comes complete except a receiver and battery. A balsa ARF often needs control surfaces attached, tail feathers attached (epoxy), servos purchased separately and installed, engine/motor gas tank or esc installed, linkages installed, and batteries and receivers installed.

4) This size plane should take a 8oz - 12oz tank, but the tank is included. Gas tanks are always plastic, sometimes clear, sometimes not.

5) You will need a throttle servo for either gas or glow. You also need a receiver battery which typically can be nimh, or life batteries. The battery usually is permanently installed in the plane. Either of these are about $30 or less. An electric starter is a good idea for safety.

Glow is simpler but messy and glow fuel is more expensive then gasoline $30/gallon. Glow comes in its own bottle but you will need a pump to get it from the bottle to the plane tank. You will also need a glow driver to start the engine. .

Gas engines are more expensive but generally run better, are more fuel efficient, and gasoline is cheap $3.00/gal. You will need 2 stroke oil (need it even with 4 stroke engines). I use good quality oil like Redline and premium gas, but its still significantly cheaper then glow fuel. I always use an optical kill switch and a separate ignition battery but its not mandatory. You will need a gas can, and pump to get the gas from the can to the plane tank.

The good news is once you buy this stuff it will work for all your fuel planes.

6) Like everything there is a learning curve to fixing balsa. Yes foam is easier to fix, but its hard to fix foam to make it look like new. When you get good a fixing balsa you can fix it to look like new. Everything with balsa can be fixed, but sometimes you have to know when it's not worth fixing. Working with balsa is relatively easy because its a light wood. The bigger issue is usually fixing the covering to make it look good. The covering (Ultracote, Monokote, or others) is a adhesive backed plastic heat shrink material.

I hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                bkp1300 I'm glad the FlightLine power system suits your flying style well. Which servos did you end up installing in your Jug?
                Sorry to get back to you so late Alpha.....I went with metal gear 30g Flightline servos in the fuse, and 17g Flightline servos in the wing.

Comment

I'd check cowl dimensions to see what would fit. If they recommend a 9cc 2-stroke I would guess the FG-14 would do the trick. Generally a 4-stroke produces less power than a 2-stroke of the same displacement.

To Long-Love-RC: If you have a electric-powered balsa model that you have flown a fair bit and are comfortable with, you might consider converting that to gas to get your feet wet. Get a suitable engine, known for reliability. That'll minimize the risks, and you'll be better prepared to handle any in-flight emergencies.

Comment

Hi, I'm thinking of buying this great looking P 47D.
                    Quick question - I watched with interest the YouTube Motion RC review of the Nexa P40 Warhawk were he used the Admiral GP10 motor and 6S battery spinning a great looking 3 blade air screw prop. The Warhawk really flew great and I wondered if this set up would fit the P 47D as its all in stock unlike the FMS motor set up the Merry Boozers used.

Comment

dave all the nexa 60 in wing span war birds set up the same so i would think they will fly the same i have the f6f the p47 the t34 and the tiger moth all my war birds have the fms 5060 300kv motor and some have the tru turn shaft that doesent have the hex head so i could use master air screw three blade props or two blade for the t34

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Boozer RC View Post
                        Papa did a fantastic build thread here on hobby squawk. But I wanted to add our final pictures here on the official thread. The airplane goes together super easy with just a little time and effort. We did deviate from the official recommendation of parts on this build. We ended up going with the FMS 1700 mm Corsair power system and prop to get a vary scale look and unlimited power. Also instead of using the expensive servos we used our trusty Freewing digital metal gear servos I fly 100mph jets on them with no problems I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t save over half the cost by using them here. Guys the model is absolutely gorgeous and one of the easiest ARFs to assemble just take your time and she will fly fine 😉
                        Super Job! Great thread that airplane looks beautiful. Wow! I'd love to see it fly. Cheers.

Comment

The Maiden flight looks fantastic. I'm still considering Nitro Vs Electric. I may go electric as this point, due to the video and flight characteristics. It'll be a tough decision to make. Nitro always sounds really cool, but cleaning is another story. Once I get the model, I'll decide the best propulsion system for me. After going through my inventory of RC, servos, esc, electric motors. I have the perfect propulsion system for this Nexa P47. So much stuff! :) (121) Nexa P 47 Thunderbolt Touch Of Texas from MotionRC Balsa Electric Warbird - YouTube

Comment

Motion you blew it here, "really", servos surface mounted in the bottom of the wing, instead of under a hatch that is screwed in place.
                            Was seriously thinking of this plane as my next purchase, but hate to see exposed servos. With the amount of detail that is put into this
                            model aircraft, the last thing I expected was exposed servos sticking out of the bottom of the wing....To modify and hide them under a hatch,
                            too much work and would spoil the otherwise, pristine covering and detail scheme of this very nice looking P-47 Razorback version.

Comment

406pilot i used the same set up on my p47 as the merry boozers used. thats the 300kv fms motor with the 1700 fms corsair 18in prop.. this set up makes the plane a bit nose heavy but power is very nice in this vid u can see it will jump off wet grass easy and in a few stall tests it breaks left and does a 1/2 turn spin so dont get it too slow on landing..this was the maiden flight
                              May 1, 2021 - YouTube

Comment

Anyone? Would really like to get some info on these possible power options in this Nexa P47.

Thanks.
                                YS80 is what I have set aside for mine

Comment

Originally posted by starcop View Post
                                  The Maiden flight looks fantastic. I'm still considering Nitro Vs Electric. I may go electric as this point, due to the video and flight characteristics. It'll be a tough decision to make. Nitro always sounds really cool, but cleaning is another story. Once I get the model, I'll decide the best propulsion system for me. After going through my inventory of RC, servos, esc, electric motors. I have the perfect propulsion system for this Nexa P47. So much stuff! :) (121) Nexa P 47 Thunderbolt Touch Of Texas from MotionRC Balsa Electric Warbird - YouTube
                                  Cleaning is not that big of a deal,- baby wipes or paper towels.. Its therapeutic LOL

Comment

a low pass teaser on a straffing run
                                    (1) Nexa p47 - YouTube

Comment

got a tacon 400kv motor may have to take the p47 down for a motor change...great thing about the tacon is the fms prop shaft and the x mount is the same size so no new mount or props

Comment

Excuse me, does anyone know when this model will be back in stock? I was ready to hit the buy button and looked up and it says OUT-OF-STOCK!

Comment

This RC nut just can't get the retracts and struts sets for this bird, and so very much want to complete the wings. I also can't get any specs and measurements so that I can adapt what is available. Can any kind builder assist this man with measurements or potential vendors that I may obtain the retracts/struts from, please.

Comment

Working...
                                          X