Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1610mm Hawker Hurricane (Balsa ARF) Discussion Thread

Nexa 1610mm Hawker Hurricane 1610mm (63.3") Wingspan Balsa - ARF
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	253606

Product Availability: The estimated time of arrival (ETA) for this product is late-May, 2020. Please click the "Notify Me When Back In Stock" button above to receive an email notification when the product is available for purchase.

The Hawker Hurricane devastated the Luftwaffe throughout the Battle of Britain in 1940, despite the Spitfire filling the news reels. Developed in the 1930s but serving throughout World War II with nearly 15,000 aircraft produced, the Hurricane was noted for its hardiness and dependability. 25 countries ended up operating Hurricanes, making it one of the most widely distributed warplanes in history.

We are proud to announce Nexa, Motion RC's in-house Balsa-specific brand that will showcase customer-favorites and new, never-before-seen models in various balsa formats and a wide range of sizes and price points.

The Nexa Hawker Hurricane is a .60-size electric scale series warbird with a 1610mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and fully covered. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes a two piece wing design with aluminum wing joiner, fiberglass cowling, painted pilot, electric retracts and struts, flaps, a large battery hatch and pre-hinged and installed control surfaces.
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa Hawker Hurricane comes fully covered in RAF Battle of Britain green and tan camo scheme with panel line, rivet and weathering detail.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this Hawker Hurricane including fiberglass cowling, painted pilot, electric retracts, struts and operational flaps.
    Large Hatch

The large hatch allows for a large amount of space for any battery and electronic requirements.

The rear fuselage also replicates the ribbed structure of the real Hurricane.
    Electric Retracts Included

The Nexa Hawker Hurricane comes with electric retracts and struts for added realism and clean flight profile.

Including electric retracts is a nice touch that brings this balsa ARF closer to the modern conveniences expected of a modern RC airplane.
    Features:
    • Fully covered in RAF Battle of the British green and tan camo scheme with panel line, rivet and weathering detail
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Electric retracts and struts are included
    • Two piece wing with aluminum wing joiners for easy transport
    • Functional split flaps for shorter takeoffs and slower landings
    • Fiberglass cowling and painted pilot for added scale appeal
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    Includes:
    • Nexa Hawker Hurricane 1610mm (63.3") Wingspan - ARF
    • Wheels, spinner, fiberglass cowling
    • Electric retracts and struts
    • Hardware and decals
    Requires:Gas Requires:Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

This looks like a rebranded VQ model.

Comment

Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post
      This looks like a rebranded VQ model.
      Yes it is and has been acknowledged as such on other Nexa models just announced but as Alpha has also explained is a house brand that will cover other manufacturer labels too.
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Cool. Hopefully, they will import the Val too in the near future. But, the $50.00 shipping charge too hard to swallow for a .60 size plane.

Comment

pdansalvish If Motion brings in the Val, and I hope they do, there won't be a $50 shipping charge.

Comment

Looks like free shipping as of now, did they add the free shipping earlier with the same price at $329?

Nice looking plane, will the covering and printing take well to nitro and oils?

Comment

Any chance we could see a picture of the battery hatch? I've looked at a ton of pictures of this plane, but not one of them shows the battery hatch.

Comment

I am wondering if MotionRC has worked with VQ on the Hurricane. Originally reports have the Hurricane has weak spars and needs a ton of nose weight. Also, it is not very flight friendly.

Comment

Question: Is the Nexa Hurricane's Canopy scale...?

Comment

Has anyone built and flown one of these? I am interested but would like to hear some reports. Thanks

Comment

I am following a FaceBook thread on a build of the Hurricane he ordered from Motion. The description on Motion's site is inaccurate. The description states it is a two piece wing with an aluminum wing joiner. His plane uses plywood joiners and must be glued together. Buyer beware.

Comment

I am following a FaceBook thread on a build of the Hurricane he ordered from Motion. The description on Motion's site is inaccurate. The description states it is a two piece wing with an aluminum wing joiner. His plane uses plywood joiners and must be glued together. Buyer beware.
                        Hi

Just look at the manual before you buy its online.

grts Hans

Attached Files

Comment

The guy who built his on FaceBook used 18 ounces to get the plane to balance at the recommended CG. The plane lasted one flight. It was still very tail heavy. I guess this is one plane to stay away from due to issues.

Comment

I agree seems to be a real problem

Comment

The guy who built his on FaceBook used 18 ounces to get the plane to balance at the recommended CG. The plane lasted one flight. It was still very tail heavy. I guess this is one plane to stay away from due to issues.
                              Hi

Well if he says it was still tail heavy than CG in manual is wrong and you can blame manufacturer.
                              Is that pilot an experience flyer?
                              General with warbird they need a lot of weight upfront to fly. ( I have 1KG ( 36 ounces ) of lead in my BlackHorse Spitfire)
                              I don't have facebook, so if you could give some more info about his failure would be great.
                              Grts Hans

Comment

timmybeetle - I can't speak on his experience overall but he did post numerous times that it was his first Balsa ARF.

I was so sad to see that had happened to him. But I was a little uneasy to see that he maidened a new bird like this on a beach with people walking around on what seemed to be a rather cold and windy day. That's a risk I would never attempt.

If you guys watch our youtube channel, Major Patrick Croasdale who joins us sometimes has been building one and I look forward to meeting him at the field to see it and film it. He definitely has experience and I will see where he ended up with his CG and report back whenever that happens.

Either way, hate to see that happened to an otherwise gorgeous looking Hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                                  timmybeetle - I can't speak on his experience overall but he did post numerous times that it was his first Balsa ARF.

I was so sad to see that had happened to him. But I was a little uneasy to see that he maidened a new bird like this on a beach with people walking around on what seemed to be a rather cold and windy day. That's a risk I would never attempt.

If you guys watch our youtube channel, Major Patrick Croasdale who joins us sometimes has been building one and I look forward to meeting him at the field to see it and film it. He definitely has experience and I will see where he ended up with his CG and report back whenever that happens.

Either way, hate to see that happened to an otherwise gorgeous looking Hurricane.
                                  James,

I agree he should not be flying from a beach. However, I have seen YouTube videos of people who fly from roads, beaches and other places which right minded RC pilots like you and me would never do. (These people give RC flying a bad name.)

As for his first balsa ARF. In my 30+ years experience foam pilots moving to balsa planes wreck these planes on landing or takeoffs. Because on landing they don't maintain enough air speed. As for takeoff's they want to horse it up like they do on their foam planes. The main reason is most balsa ARF's have higher wing loadings than the typical foam ARFs. Warbirds typically have much higher wing loadings then sport balsa ARFs.

For nose weights, I thought 18 ounces was a little excessive. I was expecting 10-14 ounces due to the electric configuration.

I have built a couple VQ models and seen a few at our field. Of the 5 models only one had the correct CG. In each case a calculated CG was preformed and set at 28% MAC. The planes flew well.

Right now my biggest beef is the ad for the plane, which states 2 piece wing with an aluminum joiner. Where in reality the joiner is plywood and you need to glue the wings together to maintain the strength. I don't mind a one piece wing but my current airplane hauler is on the smaller side so a two piece wing would suite me better.

I am looking forward to Mr. Croasdale's build and flight review. (Can you provide a link to his build?) I love the Hurricane, but I am concerned due to the numerous issues being reported.

Comment

I have yet to maiden my Nexa/VQ and I also had to put in a lot of weight to get the CG. I went for the electric set up and modified the front fire wall to accept a 6s lipo and get the weight as far forward as possible to try and save some overall weight, which was a waste of time as it turned out near enough the same as before. I see the last post was in November 20, is there any updates on Mr Croasdale build and flight. It says there is a battery hatch, well they must have lost mine in the post, the one i got has no battery hatch and a bit of a pain having to take the wing off to swap batteries.

Comment

​I am not buying this plane because I already have an old Black Horse 60" balsa model which I inherited from a fellow club member after he crashed it and destroyed the front end. Most Hurricanes that look pretty scale in proportions need a chunk of nose weight but I overcame this during the rebuild by extending the nose about two inches and rebuilding it in balsa due to lack of replacement grp.. Not for the scale purist but in the air its close enough for me. Extending the firewall box and fixing the motor directly to the firewall helped move the cg forward, the battery forward and the esc under the motor. So unless you fancy some major surgery you are stuck with the extra weight which does nothing good for the wing loading. I attach a couple of pictures to show what I did and how it ended up in case anyone is mad enough to try it or use part of the info to assist getting the cg forward.. For me the airframe was free and it passes the time!!!.
                                      Black Horse Hurricane 1520mm 2900gms 37.8dm WA. WL 77gms/dm2 power req 785 to 940w SK3 4240 740kv rated at 870w 50amp max. Hobbywing Skywalker 80mp esc with separate ztw 6to10amp BEC 350mah 2s lipo. Turnigy 3000mah 5s 30c lipo(430gms) 30gms nose weight and 25gm spinner nut, 12x8jxf 20v 1/2t 16amp 330w, 2/3t 27a 550w, 3/4t 36a 690w, FF 51a 960w. Throttle curve 0,25,50,74, 82%max. rudder, aileron and flap servosTurnigy TSS-11MGA 11g 2.2-2.5kgf digital MG ball bearing servo. Elevator servo Macgregor MG1703 DS 17g 3 to 3.3kgf metal gear servo. Maiden flight time 4.5 mins 55% left on lipo. It flies at scale speed with this power system, not fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191022_111557.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	294330Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_203229.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	294331

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191201_111555[1].jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	294332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191201_111622[1].jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	294333

Comment

Good morning. New to this thread but I have flown the VQ 60 sized Hurricane. The VQ version does not show a battery hatch because there are no provisions for one. However the Nexa version does incorporate a hatch. As with most comments I-had to add about 14 oz. weight to the nose and the overall Acft weight was just under 10lbs. Powered by a Saito four stroke 82 if I remember correctly. This configuration proved more than enough power. I have two flights on it so far and only required minor trim adjustments. No bad tendencies, but it is a warbird and should be flown accordingly. I saw a posting somewhere that the manual CG was incorrect and it should be closer to 4 inches and that is what I used.
                                        I’ve ordered the Nexa version and plan to go electric. Keep y’all posted. Cheers Woody

Comment

Working...
                                        X