X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly of Nexa P-47 (1500mm) Balsa Thunderbolt by Papa Boozer

Guys, I call this an assembly and not a built. Being an older fellow and started RC in the early 80's before ARFs, and building from a box of balsa. But first, I want to give Motion credit for providing a model that being of balsa, is almost as simple as a foamy. This model comes with almost everything that is needed for assembly, being either gas or electric. Things that in the past had to be purchased from other sources, like gas tank, servo rods (cut to length with Z bends), control horns, engine mount, etc. I will be posting pictures and a writing account of each process assembly as per the instruction booklet. If I need to change or add something, I will so indicate after completing that section. Like all ARF's choice of power and electronics is to be the choice of purchaser. Motion does provide advise for your choice of these items. Wes and I have decided to deviate and go for a more scale look on electric power. Motor assembly is the first thing to be completed, so look for pictures, motor, prop, ESC of choice on first installment. When I proceed to electronics, information will be giving on servos and receiver used. So, all I have to do is start, wish me luck, this is the first for Papa on a blow by blow assembly.
    Attached Files

Fantastic looking bird can’t wait to see this bird coming together over the next few weeks. I was really impressed with the quality. Keep up the great work papa

Comment

Completed first assembly of motor to firewall. Papa's suggestions, Balsa planes take more time to assembly, use common sense, take your time and follow the instruction manual. I did not deviate or change anything that the instructions said to do. When cutting holes in plywood use that common sense and start with a small bit and work up, this will keep you from splinter out the back side. Also, when using bolts, washers and nuts, do not over titan. A good rule of thumb, sink the washers into the wood and stop. Motor thrust on balk head is already built in at factory, so all you do is measure to clear motor cowl. This will vary depending on motor size. Pictures WILL follow instructions per manual.
      Attached Files

Comment

Assembly photos:
        Attached Files

Comment

Wing servo install. Out of the box the servos did not fit the holes cut by the manufacturer. You can see in the pictures, I used a hobby knife to enlarge one side of the hole. Take your time and you will win the battle. The aileron has a string install to pull the wire to the inside of wing. After all servos were install, I elected not to install the push rods at this time. Instructions tell you to do this, my call not too. Next, in the manual is to put the two wing half together, nothing said what to do with the servo wires. The wires must get out of the wings at this time (common sense time), aileron and flap wire were taken out of one hole that was cut by factory but covered over. Gear hole was cut with hobby knife in front of main wing spare that joins wings together. You must make sure that wire come up inside the fuselage. I always like to mark the servo wires at this time, you see that all I have used is blue masking tape and marker. Servo extension wires can be added later if need. First picture will be of the prop (17 x 10 four blade) looks scale.

Comment

Photos of servo install and wire coming out of wings.

Comment

Joinning the wing. Followed instructions; did not change a thing. I did use a belt sander to speed up the sanding on main spar. Work well, be careful not to over do it. Make sure to dry fit the spare and alinement of wings. I do recommend using clamps instead of the paper clamp and rubber bands in the instructions. Do not over do the thirty minute epoxy, you will have a big mess. I use a pop sickle stick to spread and it leaves a thin layer on the surface. Shown in photos is the drilling out of wing bolt holes, they are to small for the bolts provided. Clean up of epoxy. Use a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol.

Comment

She's a beaut! Thanks for starting a build thread. Looking forward to your continued progress and the maiden!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Excited to see this one fly guys! Maybe I can get a pull on the sticks? ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                    Excited to see this one fly guys! Maybe I can get a pull on the sticks?
                    Definitely no lol 😂 😝..... ok maybe lol

Comment

Strut and Gear door Assembly (Day Three) Followed assembly instructions, have no changes to this procedure. First, make sure to dry fit these parts before assembly. Use your hobby knife for this, you cannot go back to change if you do this wrong! Another tip, make sure that you are putting things correct for the right gear and left. You can get the parts backwards. The wheels come in tan, so if you do not like to paint, you can use sharpies in back and silver. Also, use your silver sharpie to paint strut attachments. Make sure strut attachments are free to travel up and down. I would recommend using a little tow in with the wheels. This will make her track straight down the runway. Wing is complete, on to the fuselage! So far no bad things to report, just using common sense where needed, and think before you assembly. All the building is done for you guys, she is a beauty.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wing & Stabilizer Installation (Day 3) When installing the main wing, first trim front wood spare to fit hole in fuselage. I us a Dremel tool and sand paper. After insuring fit, coat with hot stuff. Holes for wing bolts were enlarge again, this gave cleanance for alignment. I will use a more quality nylon bolt with a washer than ones suppled. Instructions for both vertical and Horizontal Stabilizers was petty straight forward with the manual. The most important part of this is alignment. Take you time with this! If you don't get this right the plane will not fly straight and will need a lot of trim.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Elevator, Rudder with control horns & Tail, gear Installation (Day 4) Very little in changes on the instruction manual, on all three. Most of the work is done, if you have every cut out the slots for the hinges, this is not a pleasant job! But, It's done for you. Elevator hinges, I used an awl to mark hinge holes, and made sure that their were right behind the elevator tubes and on the hinge line. Moving on to the rudder, the control horn will be mount behind the tube, but you will not mount this one on the hinge line. If mounted on hinge line, will not give throws desired. Tip from Papa: drill out all your control horns when drilling holes into the wood. Do not drill out the plate on the other side! I recommend drilling out the tail wheel control horn also. COMMON SENSE TIME....Too large a hole will weaken the attachment, start small and work your way up. If any of the manufactures are reading this please convert mm to inches in your instruction manuals.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tail wheel, Rudder & elevator servo and linkages assembly (Day 4) Guys on this part common sense is in order. The instruction manual is very good, but no manual will tell you about leaving room for movement. By this I mean, the rods must extend past the tubes, but leave enough for the rod not to flex. You do not want flexing in the rods, are your control will be sporadic. On your clevis that attached to the control horn, make sure you screw the rod half way so you have adjustment either way. At this time place your fuel tube on the clevis and glue the tubes to the fuselage. See, photo of how I use surgical clamp to open up the fuel tube for easy install. On the servo install, Servo being used were too small for hole, I used two pieces of hard wood to fix the problem. After deciding where to mount servos, drilled holes and mounted with screws. Cut excess rods to length, attached three hole clamp to only the rods coming from control horns. Drilled holes larger in servo control horn to except Z bend. Centered servo with servo checker, took the Z bend rod provided and installed in center of three hole clamp. Checked to see if both elevators were neutral and rudder and wheel centered. Used servo checker for free movement of both rudder and elevator. We are in the home stretch guys, not much more on this assembly. Day 5 coming up!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Fiberglass Cowl and Dummy Engine Install (Day 5) Thought must go into this before work begins, electric motor and use of ESC calls for air flow for cooling. Cutting holes in the dummy engine is called for both. Cut the holes for cooling at bottom and then the engine shaft. Attached dummy engine to cowl as per instructions. After serval tries at alignment and enlarge hole for engine with a Dremel, clearance was successful. You must take your time at this, and be patient! On to mounting of the cowling, make sure there is no rubbing of the engine shaft. I was able to see the wood blocks looking through the opening in the cowl. Mark holes with a scarpie pen. Then with cowl installed, drilled out both cowl and block at the same time. When one hole was drill, installed screw, this keep cowl from moving. After all five were done, removed cowl. Again, drilled out holes for depth, and sunk screws all the way to the bottom. Last step, run CA or hot stuff in the holes. This will maintain screw threads. Papa tip: If you are installing a gas engine, put yellow ni-rod in hole and secure with CA. This will ensure the screw will not back out from vibration.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bottom Cover Install (Day 5) This is straight forward as the instruction show. Cut holes for wing mounting bolts. Start with a bit ended with the Dremel tool. Lay the cover in position and mark mounting holes with a marker. Drill holes to install screws. The assembly is done, other than a few small things, like bomb, engine exhaust, machine guns, etc. We are on the way to installing the electronics. I also, thought this would be a good time to show all the tools that was used on this assembly.
                                Attached Files

Comment

ESC, Receiver, Battery & servo Leads Install (Day 5) Last of the assembly and the heart of the bird. Mounted the ESC (100amp) under the motor, on tray provided by manufacturer. Mounted receiver in front of elevator and rudder servos. This bird will be using a 6S 5000mah battery, plenty of room as you can see. This is not what the manufacturer recommends, Recommend 4S power, but as explained earlier, want more scale on prop size. We should not be lacking on power to fly this bird, and maybe long flight times. We are estimating around ten to twelve minutes or longer. Last thoughts from Papa: In all the wood planes I have built or assembled, this plane has been one of the most complete, excellent instruction manual, and least one I have had to redesign. Price is not bad either at $309.00 US. If you like the 1600 or 1700 foamy warbirds, and want to try and assemble your first balsa plane, NEXA models should be your choice. Good luck on your next balsa plane purchase, and I hope this helps answer your questions on what you should expect on assembling your plane. P. S. If you want to see more of these reviews send an e-mail to MOTION RC. Go to THE MERRY BOOZER RC CHANNEL on U-Tube and please subscribe and watch the maiden flight. THANK YOU! Papa, Wesley and Lori Boozer
                                  Attached Files

Comment

GREAT job on the build thread! Personally, I would like to see more of these thorough build threads...They are wildly informative and love the photos to compliment the info. Looking forward to the maiden!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Mounting the Eight Fifty Cals & Decals (Day 6) So many decals, makes this bird a real eye Catcher. Instructions are really detailed on where to place the peal and stick decals. Guns are also provided in kit. She wouldn't be a Thunderbolt without the (8) 50's. Guys, I try to give you more angles of this bird, I like her a lot. Hope you do too! Thank again, to Motion RC for making this NEXA bird available to use balsa lovers. if you like this assembly thread, please leave a comment. This will give this old man energy to do another. Papa quote: " Fair skies and soft landing until we see each other again."
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Well done on the thread.

What is the length of the main gear struts from the top of the strut to the middle of the axel?

Comment

Working...
                                        X