You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASSEMBLY OF THE BLACK HORSE HEINKE HE-111 1750MM (69.9") WINGSPAN ARF BLITZ BOMBER BY PAPA BOOZER

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASSEMBLY OF THE BLACK HORSE HEINKE HE-111 1750MM (69.9") WINGSPAN ARF BLITZ BOMBER BY PAPA BOOZER

This is a rare bird, and you don't see this at the field everyday! Motion again, has given you at first sight, a detailed ARF out of the box. We did a live show and unboxing on The Merry Boozer Channel, if you want to see more up close of this bird. I will be attaching photos of the complete ARF kit. I am looking forward to this one, In all my years of building and assembling planes. I have never put together a twin balsa plane. Why? Engines in the early days was not none to always stay running through the whole flight. Then you had to get both engines in sink. If one engine quit, then you would see how good a pilot you really were. But all that is over now with electric motors. Guys, if you are a experienced RC pilot and you want a little more challenge. Think about assembling you first balsa plane and even more this twin. There has never been a better time in RC, for you to take the challenge to enjoy your hobby to the max. Reminder: If you want to see the best videos, unboxing from your favorite manufacturer, and a variety of RC products. Why don't you come by and visit the Merry Boozer RC Channel. Also, we do a live show every Sunday night 8:00 P.M. Eastern. Wes, Lori and Papa will be waiting. Thanks, and hope you enjoy the ride along with old Papa.
    Attached Files

The first entry on the assembly. Want to show the motors of choice. Wes and I have decided to use the old standard servos for the elevator and rudder. I will not call this a assembly day, not until I turn a screw or glue a part on.
    Attached Files

Comment

Horizontal Stabilizer & Rudder Assembly, (Day 1) First, this step is not what the instruction manual tells you to do first. Wing assembly is the first, At start of build, do not have all parts needed to start wing. So, on to the fuselage. You will find that the two majors assembly of an ARF is the two noted. I did not change or do anything from what the manual said to do. Common Sense time. Alway dry fit parts before you bring out the glue. When you cut covering remember to leave it larger than the hole. This will let you fold it over, will ensure that it does not get loose either by srinkage or airflow. Alignment is everything on both these steps. If you do not get both right, your plane will fly badly and need lots of trim. TAKE YOUR TIME! The hinges were cut in the horizontal stab, just checked for alignment and centering. Hinges were installed and cut in rudder, but not in the vertical stabilizer. Marked and cut out holes with hobby knife. Again, at this time, only a dry fit on both. More photos to follow.
      Attached Files

Comment

More pictures of Stabilizer and Rudder
        Attached Files

Comment

Assembly of Tail wheel to Rudder (Day2) Followed instructions, take your time and get it straight. Will not roll down the runway correctly. Same as in the air, it's all about straight on the tail feathers.
          After tail wheel install, follow with CA of the hinges in Horizontal stabilizer. Last step CA rudder hinge and tail wheel. Next, epoxy Horizontal stab and check alignment and let dry.
          Attached Files

Comment

Installing canopy to Fuselage, (Day 2) Wes ask me not to glue the canopy on. His reasoning was that we may want to add weight to the nose for balance and improve the looks of the inside.. I elected to screw both on. The instructions say to attach with glue. Just to show you always do not have to follow the instructions to the letter.
            Attached Files

Comment

Install of Electric motors (Day3) Because of lack of parts, I again state, I am not following the instruction manual in order that is called for. I did not change anything that assembly instruction recommend. The holes for main mounting screws were enlarge for easy of alignment, Additional spacers were used to get the correct spacing for spinner to clear. Note, the additional spacers not provided are white, the silver spacer were provided by manufacturer. As you can see there is a large space behind the motor for the ESC. On a gas install this would be the place provided for the gas tank.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mounting of the upper and lower cowl, (Day 4) Instruction are OK, but you must make sure the motor is in center of the front cowl. Yes, it is that comes sense thing. The first hole is in the top cowl in the extreme back by the flap. Make sure to push the upper cowl as far back as possible. I did use the yellow ny-rod in the mounting holes. I did add a extra screw in the leading edge. This was not in the instructions, my call. Bottom cowl for landing gear, Make sure of the fit to the upper cowl, you may have to use your Dremel to complete fit. Drill out the far hole first, finish with two screws in sides. At this time I have not opened the holes for the landing gear. Remember, this is a balsa plane, everything does not fit as on a foamy. Sorry, just the truth. I did not say, it could not be perfect with time. Knock yourself out!
                Attached Files

Comment

Install Wing Tank Covers, Upper & Lower Gun Blisters (Day 4) Instructions call for all said items to be glued on. My choice, used screws and I like the look. Adding these items, really makes the plane come to life. May add some guns, which are not supplied. All I need to finish is the exhaust on the engines, minor detail. Things left on assembly, are the electronics, landing gear, props, servos and push rods. Still waiting on a shipment on some of the last items. 60 amp ESC are like hens teeth to find at this time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Installation of (2) elevator and (1) rudder servos (Day 5) Nothing different from instruction manual. I did use Z-bends at the servo horns, just my preference than ones provided. Remember to thread the nylon clevis half way on the rod. This will give you adjustment if needed. I will also say, that the Z-bend do not like the quality of metal in the rods, I have broke several while in the process of bending. Maybe you should use the attachment provided. I will also show the choice of servo being used in the assembly.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Installation of the landing gear & cutting openings in bottom cowl (Day 5) This would be a whole lot simpler if we would have used the struts provided. But, that is not the case. Wesley wanted to use the struts from the large Freewing A-10. I have had a lot of trouble making these work. Maybe not a good choice. We will see, the future will only tell. The photos show starting with removing covering on wing, installed the retract and used servo checker to cycle gear. When satisfied gear work satisfactory with wheel and strut installed, moved on to use Dremel tool to remove material from lower cowl for gear cycle. This has been the most challenging step in the assembly because of landing gear of choice.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The strut choice may prove to be problematic if this bird has any tendency to nose over. When the strut "compresses", it will pivot the wheel axle closer to the CG, increasing any tendency already there. This type of strut action doesn't cause a problem on tricycle gear planes.

It also appears that a section of the main wing spar (the verticle ply piece aft of the wing tube) was removed to make room for the strut. The wing tube will provide some support. A little extra ply in that area might be a good idea. I haven't seen the instructions for the plane. Does it say to remove the wood in that area?

Comment

Twowingtj, Thank you, for you comments. both areas are things that you take a chance on when changing from the manufacturer provided parts. Sometimes it works, and sometimes, not so much. Wes and I again wanted more of a scale strut and wheel. I did not change anything, that I cannot go back to the original strut and wheel provided in kit. We think the springs will have a much stronger reaction than on the heavier A-10, will see with time. Second, you are right I did remove a little sheeting between the servo well and the tire well. I did not remove any of the wing tube or wing spar. By doing this the wing strength is still in tacked. No, the manual does not tell you to remove any sheeting, this was done to have room for the larger strut of our choice. I will add ply to area for strength, great suggestion. Better to be safe than sorry thing.

Comment

Papa Boozer/Dots The struts and wheels do look better. If there does prove to be an increased tendency to nose over, there is another option where you can still use those struts. George Baker(TiredIron) reversed those same struts on his A-10. He swapped sides so the strut pivoted forward on compression. That would actually reduce the likelyhood of nose over. It might alsp reduce the effectiveness of the strut suspension action. As you mentioned, with the weight difference between the A-10 and the He-111, they might not compress much anyway. Just a thought.

Comment

INSTALLATION OF AILERONS, FLAP SERVOS PLUS PUSHRODS, (Day 6) followed instruciton manual no change to procedure. You will need (6) 6" extension leads for the flaps, gear, and throttle servos. (2) 12" for the ailerons, When you install the receiver at least a minimum of six channels and (4) y-harness, ailerons, flaps, gear, throttle. These recommend lengths are based on the servo having 6" leads. If you have long leads you will adjust your lengths for your model. Y-harness will stay the same.
                              Attached Files

Comment

INSTALL OF THE ESC, MOTORS, SPINNERS AND PROPS, (Day 7) Last step, please note that Wes and I have decided to go with the motors and props off of the Folke-Wulf TA152H. We are doing this because of the scale look. Motors were installed as per the instructions given earlier. Here is the list of parts used: (2) Freewing 60 amp ESC, (2) 3648-830KV motors with shafts, (2) Freewing 10 x 6 three Blade propellers, (2) FlightLine 3-blade spinners. Again, you will find all these parts listed under the TA152H.
                                Attached Files

Comment

PAPA DOTS INSTALLATION, It would not be one of my birds without the rivets, are as some say "Dots". This was the final step in the assembly for me, but not required or counts as a day of assembly. My thoughts on this plane as for as assembly. The plane is very well built and had no surprises of modifications, unless I made them because of choice of parts used. I will say, that twin aircraft are more expensive because of the doubling of parts. But, I love the twin engine planes and the challenge is worth the cost. So, on to the maiden flight, to see that, please come by the Merry Boozers Channel. Remember Papa, Wes, and Lori will be waiting for you to come by for a visit. Here comes the advertisement, please if you like what you see come by, and hit that subscribe button. Remember also to tell James at Motion, you would like Papa to do more of this assembles. Papa favorite saying: " May you have fair skies and soft landing until we meet again." P.S. Machine guns were not provided in kit, I made them from dowel rod, pushrod wire, black tubing.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Needs the scale gear!

Comment

Manfred, I agree with you, but the gear that comes with the kit is not. So Wes, and I looked around at what we had and this is as close to scale as we could get. This is our opinion, but we could be wrong, I like when we use things that are laying around and cost no money. I do believe someone make scale gear, it could be Robart, but it is expensive. This plane will come in around $600.00, without the scale retracts.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your build and customization process, Papa Boozer/Dots , and best of luck on your maiden!
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                        X