X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another kit rescue - Top Flite Cessna becomes T-41

She was collecting dust. In a garage in Phoenix, now the work begins. I got Futaba servos installed and tail surfaces operate nicely. Admiral RX with gyro going in, EFlite Power 60 with Hobbywing 120. I will do the same water based Warbird colors and Polycryllic that I used with the Ryan. I do like these big birds.
    After the maiden and test flights, it will probably be a fundraiser raffle prize.
    Attached Files

Progress with Flaps and ailerons. All nice fit and function.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work! I’ve always admired this kit but never quite had the room for it. I look forward to watching your progress.

regards
      Kurt

Comment

F22trainer I must have missed the details of your method; are you applying polycrylic directly onto the balsa, instead of glassing with it?
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
          F22trainer I must have missed the details of your method; are you applying polycrylic directly onto the balsa, instead of glassing with it?
          I found by using 2 light Coates over the balsa and letting it dry to touch, I can then lay the glass down and apply another coat to adhere the glass into the soft Polycryllic - gives it a nice bite into the surface with no bubbles or runs. That I let dry overnight, then 2 more Coates with a foam brush about an hour apart. The next day I can sand with #200 wet/dry, one more coat and sand with #600, then another and final sand with #1200.
          After that, primer (Warbird colors gray) 3 Coates with #1200 sand between coats, then pigment color (also from Warbird Colors) with same sand. Last coat is sprayed and sanded with #1200 2 times. Then it gets flown - assuming that goes well, decals and stripes etc., then 2 Coates of spray Polycryllic - no sanding necessary.

For this plane, the previous builder already glassed the wing and tail feathers, with a very light epoxy and glass so I will only need to glass the fuselage, I can sand and apply the polycryllic over the epoxy. It lays down really smooth with light coat.

Comment

Here’s the Ryan before primer: Click image for larger version

Name:	37414796-24EC-4C5B-95F9-1E65ADB0D42B.jpeg
Views:	590
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	270079

Comment

Kind of slow - miss you guys. Work has been non-stop. But made a little progress. Got the Motion kit for lights.

There’s no doubt in my mind - General Aviation is having a surge, because folks don’t want to deal with mass transit called airlines.

Comment

Got a bit of time to check in and labor on the Mescalero.

Comment

You surely do some fine work with the hobby! I get the feeling that mass surge is in good hands as well. Be safe...
                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

here was my conversion

Comment

Almost ready for primer
                      Attached Files

Comment

Primer begins tomorrow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I’m still here - but work is busy. Here’s an update and the raffle is shaping up - legal department working out details and graphics from Callie are on the way.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful work F22!- she is lovely!
                            Interesting glassing process, it really came out nice- what weight glass cloth do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angels View Post
                              Beautiful work F22!- she is lovely!
                              Interesting glassing process, it really came out nice- what weight glass cloth do you use?
                              0.5 oz. is best but can be hard to find. .75 or similar nylon from Sig - Koverall. Both work well, but the glass is much more flexible and forgiving in tight areas or compound curves.Thanks!

Comment

Appreciate the info!
                                Looking forward to seeing this beauty finished!

Comment

Been awhile since I was able to updat - a lot going on in the aviation world, and it is not slowing up.
                                  But here ya go, she has paint and the graphics from Callie are ready as well.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                                    You surely do some fine work with the hobby! I get the feeling that mass surge is in good hands as well. Be safe...
                                    Got promoted - now busier than ever: Hope you are well my Friend.

Legacy Flight Training, LLC provides high quality simulator and flight training to owners and operators of Piper PA-46 piston and turboprop aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Got promoted - now busier than ever: Hope you are well my Friend.

https://www.legacyflighttraining.com/page/show/88666
                                      Now THAT is a flight simulator! Too cool.. congrats Michael!
                                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

And just like that, it is going back together. The new HVLP helped a lot! Very smooth application and no overspray.

Now for another piece of news I would appreciate some feedback.

Raffle or Silent Auction? Once this bird gets a few flights for fine tuning, it is going to up for one of these to raise funds for the AMPS RC Club. Would appreciate any insight as to which could generate the best potential for the event, TBD.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X