Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to do more "fishing" - wire fishing, that is. Getting the remaining wires from the engine bay to the center of the wing required going around several bends.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3816.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.4 KB ID:	301408

Then finished with soldering all the bullet connecters to measured lengths of power wires. Installed the lower and upper motor covers and engine cowls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	301409

On the home stretch now. Next post will be the completed C-47.

Comment

xviper Looking forward to seeing how it turns out and flys. Good job.

Comment

@Twowingtj ................ Thanks. Flying will have to wait for another month or two for winter to finally go away.

Finished the build and CGing it. It will fly on a single 3000mah, 4s Graphene battery, weighing about 400g - still needed to add a little weight to the tail to balance at the recommended mid-point CG. (A twin battery won't allow the hatch door to mount flush.) I also have 4000mah Admiral 4s batteries that weigh the same, so will likely use those.
        Fit and finish is not bad but there are still some gaps to be found in certain places like where the leading edge of the wing center (middle section) meets the fuse and some of the plastic covering pieces that have too much overlap (needed trimming) and doesn't quite conform to the shape they are covering - won't be noticeable unless up really close.
        I'm using the 3-blade prop assembly from the Flightline B-24 - looks good and a perfect fit as the prop tips are close to the fuse (as they should be). Won't be possible to use larger diameter props but could go with more pitch if desired. Will see if this plane needs more pitch.
        Just need to do the radio programming - rates, expo, AS3X programming on the 637T. All said and done, it was a very satisfying build. Just hope it flies well. This one replaces my Dynam C-47, which replaced my HobbyKing C-47 (Jungle Skipper).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	301495

Comment

xviper Turned out great! Seems like a decent twin for the price. Those B-24 props look like they were made for it.

Comment

I'll have to order more props for my B-24 as I robbed from it to complete the build.

Comment

Finished with center wing. Just tidying up electrical.
              Attached Files
              In the Hanger
              Too many to count

Comment

Guy.Caputo@bex.net Nice clean install.

Comment

Is it possible to juts buy the retract/LG setup. I have a VQ version of this plane, but I bought it when it just came out(I started a thread on RCGROUPS back then)
                  So I would love to add this upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Pacro View Post
                    Is it possible to juts buy the retract/LG setup. I have a VQ version of this plane, but I bought it when it just came out(I started a thread on RCGROUPS back then)
                    So I would love to add this upgrade
                    Look at the build manual to see pictures of how the retracts and tires fit in. Then you can look at your own model to see if the structure is the same to accommodate them.
                    PS. This IS the VQ version.

Comment

It can accommodate the retracts. There is no retract/no retract version. If you want to install retracts you just need to trim out a bit of the wood in the mount area to slip in the e-tract unit.
                      I know the Nexa models are rebranded VQs, but MRC is currently only selling them together with kits. I haven't managed to find them separately

Comment

Hi Folks,

Been looking for the DC-3 version (NEXA / VQ) model. Found one and it's shipping to the US via France. They seem rare these days.

I came across some helpful videos of this model here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrVBtyvz6Jo

The guy assembling this model describes how to correct for the stalling / tip stall characteristics that the delivered kit had problems with. First, there was wash in, not wash out at the wingtips. Learned this one from my glider days as well as my J3 Cub (Goldberg). Got to have a lower angle of attack at the tips than the inboard wing. About 2% is sufficient. I think this is an issue with any high aspect ratio (Length vs Width) wing.

The 2nd problem with the kit is actually in the instructions. The CG in the instructions show 100-110 mm from the leading edge of the wing. After his first failed take off, same as described in this thread, he moved the CG forward to 90mm (Adding Nose Weight) and added 2% of wash out on the outer panel by holding and heating the covering and verifying that both sides were similar, and it solved his take off problems.

For whatever reason I have a habit of getting plenty of air speed before I allow my planes to take off, unless it's a 3D foamy, then you can just jump into the air. These heavy scale planes need lots of speed for stability. IMHO. But I think these 2 factors explain 90% of the problems people are reporting. Again, IMHO.

It may be several months before I finish this kit and Maiden her, but I thought I would share what I've learned scouring the internet.

Cheers to Ya'All.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          Look at the build manual to see pictures of how the retracts and tires fit in. Then you can look at your own model to see if the structure is the same to accommodate them.
                          PS. This IS the VQ version.
                          Hey Viper, what ever became of this bird??

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

Hey Viper, what ever became of this bird??

Grossman56
                            I had a lot of trouble flying it. It repeatedly tip stalled on take off. Crashed it on the first take off, but was still flyable. After a few more of those, I had to get parts to repair it. That took weeks and then I got a few "iffy" flights out of it and it stalled again on take off and that time, the damage was so extensive I gave up on it. I kept it for a while and then decided I needed the parts (servos, motors, etc) from it for another plane and I tore it apart. I believe for my style of flying, it needed to be built far more powerful than how I built it. I should have built it as a 6s plane. Had I done that, I would have far less of a tendency to stall it on take off. (I still have the wing tips. ) It was a beautiful airplane but just didn't work out for me. When I did get it off the ground smoothly, had to keep the power on, especially during turns or it would stall very easily. It just didn't feel comfortable for me to fly it with the throttle pegged most of the time. Other than this, it flew OK. I prefer my planes to fly more than just OK. Thinking back, these were the same traits for my old HobbyKing C-47 (Jungle Jiggler). It didn't last that long for me either. Believe it or not, the Dynam C-47 stayed in my hanger for a long time and flew very well, even with one warped wing.
                            By comparison, my VQ (Nexa) Twin Otter has been perfect and it's been flying for years to this very day. In any case, one of these days, I want to build the Nexa (VQ) V-tail Bonanza. It was the first plane that I was allowed to have my hands on the controls as we flew through the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                            X