X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xviper View Post
    The prop adapter/holder for the FL 3-blade has a different sized hex hole than what's on the FMS motor shaft. You'll have to do some modifying to make it fit. I fitted the FMS 4-blade prop assembly onto my FL Corsair. It's not a direct fit.
    Is the hex on the shaft to big or two small to fit the FL-3 Blade? I do have another shaft with a slightly smaller hex on it. I guess if that one doesn't work i'll modify the prop holder from Flight-Line to fit one of the shafts i have.

Appreciate the heads up!!

Comment

Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post

Is the hex on the shaft to big or two small to fit the FL-3 Blade? I do have another shaft with a slightly smaller hex on it. I guess if that one doesn't work i'll modify the prop holder from Flight-Line to fit one of the shafts i have.

Appreciate the heads up!!
      It's been a while since I've done it. I've been flying the FL Corsair for a couple of years now. I do seem to remember I had to build up the thickness of the FL hex to make it work, so you might have to make the hole bigger in the FL prop holder. Also, the FMS prop holder is a bit thicker (front to back), so I had to thin it out on a sander. Going the other way, there should be plenty of thread on the shaft to hold it on. Memory being as bad as it is, you may find out what I said is the opposite. In any case, they are not quite the same.

Comment

It's been a while since I've done it. I've been flying the FL Corsair for a couple of years now. I do seem to remember I had to build up the thickness of the FL hex to make it work, so you might have to make the hole bigger in the FL prop holder. Also, the FMS prop holder is a bit thicker (front to back), so I had to thin it out on a sander. Going the other way, there should be plenty of thread on the shaft to hold it on. Memory being as bad as it is, you may find out what I said is the opposite. In any case, they are not quite the same.
        Good info. It at least gives me an idea of what to expect and look for. Appreciate it!

I'll take pic's and post up whatever mod's or fitment issues I have.

Comment

Ok so got some time to go fly today and I was in a hurry to get out to the field and test the corsair with the FlightLine 3 blade prop. I didn't get pictures because i wanted to get out and fly before it got dark. I can say that using the flightline 3 blade corsair prop made a noticeable difference in speed & climbing ability. The FMS V3 corsair really benefited using the flightline prop! It flew a lot more like i would of expected it to.

Strangely though using the 3 blade prop gave higher amp draw and was putting the stock 80amp predator ESC really at it's limits. Max amp draw during the test flight with the flightline prop was 96amps. The ESC heated up quite a bit as well.

I think FMS maybe screwed up the pitch on the V3 prop or something. The FMS prop is also wider than the FlightLine.

I think I have an E-Flite 100amp ESC laying around somewhere. If I can find it i'm going to put that in and retest the FlightLine prop and see if there is any difference. I'm also contemplating ordering another FlightLine 3 blade prop and putting 4 of the blade is the stock FMS prop hub and see how it does.

Comment

Found that E-Flite 100amp ESC & got it installed into the Corsair. I checked both props with the new ESC & here's what transpired. This was all checked static on the ground. I ran the throttle up multiple times both gently and instant from a stop to full throttle.

Stock FMS 4 Blade Prop E-Flite 100amp ESC - 102amps / 2245 Watts
            FlightLine 3 Blade Prop E-Flite 100amp ESC - 92amps / 1945 Watts

Based on this I think something may have been wonky with the stock ESC. If I get the chance tomorrow I'll go fly it and report back.

Comment

Found that E-Flite 100amp ESC & got it installed into the Corsair. I checked both props with the new ESC & here's what transpired. This was all checked static on the ground. I ran the throttle up multiple times both gently and instant from a stop to full throttle.

Based on this I think something may have been wonky with the stock ESC. If I get the chance tomorrow I'll go fly it and report back.
              If the stock 4-blade draws 102A, how is the stock 80A ESC adequate?

Comment

If the stock 4-blade draws 102A, how is the stock 80A ESC adequate?
                I don't think it is at all! The first run up I did after assembly also showed it pulling at 96amps. I added pictures of that earlier in this discussion.

So after installing the 100amp esc and seeing it pull 102amps I think the motor and prop setup is way to strong for that stock predator 80amp.

Im going to report my findings to rcinformer and horizon hobby to see what they say.

Comment

I'd like to know what they say.

Comment

I'd like to know what they say.
                    I just put out an email to RCINFORMER with all the information that I have. Gave him all the numbers and testing setups etc. Hopefully he will get back to me with something. I'll post up any details If I get a response.

I'll get in touch with Horizon support tomorrow and see if they have anything to say.

Comment

I'd also be interested to hear what both have to say. For what it's worth (which may not be much since it is comparing apples to oranges), the FMS 1700 P-51 I have (several years old) with the 360KV motor and 85 Amp FMS ESC draws 82 Amps and 1850 Watts with a 17X10 4 blade prop, just about maxed out as well. On the other hand, the FL 1600mm Corsair with a 5055-340KV motor and HobbyWing 80 Amp ESC only draws 62 Amps and 1525 Watts on the 18X12 3 Blade, well below the max output of that ESC (with the Spitfire showing similar results). Definitely sounds like the stock FMS Corsair set-up is over the edge of the "Twilight Zone". Maybe Rod Serling could weigh in as well.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I spoke with Horizon today. They told me not to worry as the predator 80amp ESC is actually rated at 100amps. I gave them the numbers for amps & watts from my testing. They said

"The ESC and motor seem to be within the range they are expected to operate in"

Since I told them I thought the plane was under powered they also recommended I get a video to show the planes lack of power and send to them for review. I guess I'll have to try and get some video of it and send to them for review.

I'm hoping that RCINFORMER gets back to me with something better directly from FMS.

Comment

If it's 100a why don't they label it 100a.

Comment

Originally posted by bandetx View Post
                            If it's 100a why don't they label it 100a.

If that's what they say I suppose I'll have to assume they know what they are talking about. If I had to take a guess I am 99% sure the guy I talked to was confused about continuous amp draw and burst.

Comment

If that's what they say I suppose I'll have to assume they know what they are talking about. If I had to take a guess I am 99% sure the guy I talked to was confused about continuous amp draw and burst.
                              That's what I'm thinking, too.

Comment

I spoke with Horizon today. Since I told them I thought the plane was under powered they also recommended I get a video to show the planes lack of power and send to them for review. I guess I'll have to try and get some video of it and send to them for review.
                                Not sure I'd waste my time if I were you doing a video for them, Rich has already done it on RC Informer and if HH isn't already aware that it is underpowered, I doubt they'd do anything with your video as well. Don't tell me that HH and FMS isn't already aware of that after testing these 3 versions out for many years. It's up to FMS to rectify the issue, IMO, which I suspect they won't since they have now had 3 versions to do so, with the same complaint on all. In my book, 3 strikes and you're out!

I have also heard for several years from some ESC manufacturers that the stated max amps was always on the low side. Castle had told me a couple of years ago that the true max amp output on their units were about 10-15% more, and the stated "lower" amp was for safety and an adequate margin of error for anyone who decided to push it to the limit. But in your case, a minimum of 20% seems unreasonable.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

What have they been smoking over at FMS? It's ridiculous for companies to produce product and send it out into the world with huge issues leading to embarrassment for them and ultimate frustration for the RC world. They're not fooling anyone you know. It's all about the input at the design stage. Haven't they done this before? I don't spend the money. Sadly, I watch as post after post of unhappy, perplexed, frustrated and knowingly "P'D off" RC pilots purchase a bowlful of BS that should have been rectified the second time around. Why bother with a third "debutante" when she is as "inglorious" as the second incarnation. I think the wrong people are at the other end of this stick....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                                    What have they been smoking over at FMS? It's ridiculous for companies to produce product and send it out into the world with huge issues leading to embarrassment for them and ultimate frustration for the RC world. They're not fooling anyone you know. It's all about the input at the design stage. Haven't they done this before? I don't spend the money. Sadly, I watch as post after post of unhappy, perplexed, frustrated and knowingly "P'D off" RC pilots purchase a bowlful of BS that should have been rectified the second time around. Why bother with a third "debutante" when she is as "inglorious" as the second incarnation. I think the wrong people are at the other end of this stick....
                                    This was my first FMS Plane & I wanted a corsair. Now having a 500$ plane from FMS that I need to upgrade I am wishing I would have just went with the FlightLine 1600mm Corsair from MotionRC. However the money is already spent so I'm going to do what I can to get it up to were I want it to be.

Short of the plane being under powered the rest of it is really nice!

Comment

This was my first FMS Plane & I wanted a corsair. Now having a 500$ plane from FMS that I need to upgrade I am wishing I would have just went with the FlightLine 1600mm Corsair from MotionRC. However the money is already spent so I'm going to do what I can to get it up to were I want it to be.

Short of the plane being under powered the rest of it is really nice!

Of course, I didn't want to "sour" your purchase of the FMS. Just upgrade the power system and prop and put the menusha behind you. Dial it in and get a happy Warbird that flies right. I've had 2 Dynam Corsairs and an LX. The FMS promised to be the "step up" before the FlightLine came out. But, when I get the money sorted, I will get the FlightLine Corsair. I believe that it "flies right"...I have concluded that the Corsair is the most majestic Warbird....It looks so cool in the air with the bent wing and dark blue colour coming at ya!...

Comment

No sourness here I love the Corsair !!!! Just like you said it's sad that fms had a few chances to get it right and they fell short!

Comment

No sourness here I love the Corsair !!!! Just like you said it's sad that fms had a few chances to get it right and they fell short!
                                          Hey 406PIlot , the FL Corsair is a wonderful flying Corsair with the stock setup, but I have no doubt that after you upgrade the power system, the FMS Corsair will quickly become a favorite of yours as well, and it is slightly larger, so those of us with the FL model will just have to be satisfied with being "slightly smaller", damn it! Hey, how about a 2000 mm FL foam Corsair, I'd be ready to put down for that!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                          X